GUIDE - How to improve music quality

Search This thread

fluidz

Jan 30, 2010
It seems that I've found the perfect combination of eq settings to help improve sound quality. The issues most face with the standard music player configuration is having to put up with tinny sounds and a flat soundstage which simply put - degrades your sound! And most become oblivious to the low quality sound over time. How horrible! But with a few changes sound can be clearer and after applying these tweaks, you will certainly hear the difference. With a few settings taken from here and there at xda and blended together and tweaked, my music played via the galaxy s2 really does now sound alot better.. A result of a clearer low end, no apparent distortion at max volume (and oh boy is it louder, thanks to volume+) , a more apparent seperation between the mid ranges/highs.. For once there's a distinction in the music and the separation of sounds can be heard rather than the usual muffle. I've tested this combination of apps/settings with both high quality flac files and 256kbps mp3s and it certainly brings out the colour in each song. I produce/compose film/trance music so I'd like to think I've a good ear.

Right, where do I begin.?

You will need 3 apps - Power amp, Equalizer and Volume +, installed to begin. Each application is free. The purpose of each app is as follows.

Poweramp - A top music player with eq functionality
Equalizer - To further enhance eq levels
Volume+ - To give the sound more legroom and boost sound levels

Power amp - http://market.android.com/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer

Equalizer - http://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

Volume + - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=645858&d=1309854453

Simply apply the settings as shown in the below screenshots.. Follow exactly for best result.

Poweramp -
5ce8985e-d58a-b9e2.jpg
5ce8985e-d59b-eb60.jpg

Equalizer -
5ce8985e-d5bd-77fe.jpg
5ce8985e-d5c8-dd25.jpg

Volume+ -
5ce8985e-d5df-c4c7.jpg
5ce8985e-d5e6-e25e.jpg
5ce8985e-d5ef-a3dd.jpg
5ce8985e-d5f8-09fb.jpg
5ce8985e-d605-22c0.jpg
5ce8985e-d6fb-2dfb.jpg

If you find the highs a tad too sharp, drop the treble slightly in Poweramp.
To achieve a deeper bass, in volume+, set the bass to +5 but try not to go much higher as the sound quality will impair.
To higher the volume use Poweramp and higher the amp slider by a tiny amount and to avoid distortion do not let it go past the midway mark.
Drop the 8k slider down in poweramp to help reduce the sharp frequencies, which can hurt the ears sometimes running at a high volume. If using external speakers rather than headphones, these settings may push the sound to distortion, so be sure to set volume+ to external speaker mode for best possible effect.

Currently using Volume+ may lead to fc's when making a call, even though the fc occurs, the effect of Volume+ should still be active, currently theres no workaround as i'm aware.

If you believe you've found an even better combination of settings then please share! Just remember to post which earphones/headphones you're using.

Update : download "audioboost sgs2" from the market and set the desired volume level to around "82" for a cleaner amplified sound, this works better than volume+ for most people.

Last edited:

fluidz

Jan 30, 2010
Please give feedback whether or not these settings work well with your headset.

Last edited:

xxlikquidxx

Jan 29, 2009
good job. Sound good now. Since my Shure headphones are capable of making deep base and mid base, i increased the Bass in Poweramp to the 3 o'clock position instead of your at 12 o'clock, and Also 5+ in bass in Volume+

ViggenZ

Jun 27, 2011
localhost
I like the effect this combination gives.

BUT I have major issue with Volume+ and not sure whats the reason for it. It crashes once I plug in my headset.

using PowerAMP + Eq + VolumePlus

sc20110707003441.jpg

it looks like a conflict between Equalizer and Volume+

anyone having similar issues?

Last edited:

Freakernoid

Dec 4, 2009
yeah, it happen to me too, but mine was when i am dialing someone and when its connected then the error will appear(happen once in a while) but i just press the force close its still able to connect but its not a major problem for me as its still work its just annoying

xxlikquidxx

Jan 29, 2009

BUT I have major issue with Volume+ and not sure whats the reason for it. It crashes once I plug in my headset.

Volume+ does crash on my phone once in a while while music is playing... not when i plug in the headset like you.. I just start it back up, no big deal..

washburn111

Dec 23, 2010
power amp

sc20110707003441.jpg

Untick Resume/Pause on headset disconnection/connection in Poweramp headset options.

ViggenZ

Jun 27, 2011
localhost
Already tested it - pausing or resuming setting off doesnt affect it. Another thing is volume+ will crash when changing settings while the Eqalizer preset is enabled. Preset disabled - everything works fine...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Tweaks work great thanks! Not quite as nice as my Galaxy Tab with Voodoo but SGS2 sounds definitely less flat and less muddy. Volume+ doesn't seem to actually do anything though to sound quality so I might just ditch that.

xxlikquidxx

Jan 29, 2009
this setting wont work nice when i plug in an external Bose speakers... Bose speakers suck with builtin preamp and low bass output power. I changed to "external speaker" preset in the equalizer and it works great!

dawabz94

Sep 24, 2010
France
Hi,

testing now

I find Volume+ does not make a big diff
Having a good sound is not an easy one on that device,
Thank you for sharing your findings

I used to configure only PowerAmp - my best music player ever !
Adding a little tast of "equalizer" seems to provide something better

Will continue listening an see

Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems that I've found the perfect combination of eq settings to help improve sound quality. The issues most face with the standard music player configuration is having to put up with tinny sounds and a flat soundstage which simply put - degrades your sound! And most become oblivious to the low quality sound over time. How horrible! But with a few changes sound can be clearer and after applying these tweaks, you will certainly hear the difference. With a few settings taken from here and there at xda and blended together and tweaked, my music played via the galaxy s2 really does now sound alot better.. A result of a clearer low end, no apparent distortion at max volume (and oh boy is it louder, thanks to volume+) , a more apparent seperation between the mid ranges/highs.. For once there's a distinction in the music and the separation of sounds can be heard rather than the usual muffle. I've tested this combination of apps/settings with both high quality flac files and 256kbps mp3s and it certainly brings out the colour in each song. I produce/compose film/trance music so I'd like to think I've a good ear.

Right, where do I begin.?

You will need 3 apps - Power amp, Equalizer and Volume +, installed to begin. Each application is free. The purpose of each app is as follows.

Poweramp - A top music player with eq functionality
    Equalizer - To further enhance eq levels
    Volume+ - To give the sound more legroom and boost sound levels

Power amp - http://market.android.com/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer

Equalizer - http://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

Volume + - http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=645858&d=1309854453

Simply apply the settings as shown in the below screenshots.. Follow exactly for best result.

Poweramp -
    5ce8985e-d58a-b9e2.jpg
    5ce8985e-d59b-eb60.jpg

Equalizer -
    5ce8985e-d5bd-77fe.jpg
    5ce8985e-d5c8-dd25.jpg

Volume+ -
    5ce8985e-d5df-c4c7.jpg
    5ce8985e-d5e6-e25e.jpg
    5ce8985e-d5ef-a3dd.jpg
    5ce8985e-d5f8-09fb.jpg
    5ce8985e-d605-22c0.jpg
    5ce8985e-d6fb-2dfb.jpg

If you find the highs a tad too sharp, drop the treble slightly in Poweramp.
    To achieve a deeper bass, in volume+, set the bass to +5 but try not to go much higher as the sound quality will impair.
    To higher the volume use Poweramp and higher the amp slider by a tiny amount and to avoid distortion do not let it go past the midway mark.
    Drop the 8k slider down in poweramp to help reduce the sharp frequencies, which can hurt the ears sometimes running at a high volume. If using external speakers rather than headphones, these settings may push the sound to distortion, so be sure to set volume+ to external speaker mode for best possible effect.

Currently using Volume+ may lead to fc's when making a call, even though the fc occurs, the effect of Volume+ should still be active, currently theres no workaround as i'm aware.

If you believe you've found an even better combination of settings then please share! Just remember to post which earphones/headphones you're using.

Update : download "audioboost sgs2" from the market and set the desired volume level to around "82" for a cleaner amplified sound, this works better than volume+ for most people.
    I can't help but /facepalm at this monstrosity of a solution. Putting software equalisers on top of software equalisers is ludicrous. The net effect can be achieved with a single equaliser in PowerAMP itself (at least with the wider dynamic range in the latest version).

Just use an external amp like a FiiO and the phone's DAC will automatically stop bastardising the sound. It will sound as good as an iPhone 4.