codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011
METHOD 1
What your need:
  • Your mobile phone
  • Titainium Backup * Root

Steps to install WhatsApp to your Nexus 7:
  1. Use TI Backup to backup WhatsApp on your phone
  2. Copy the 3 backed up files (properties, tar.gz, apk.gz) from your Titainium Backup folder from your phone
  3. Install Titainium Backup on your Nexus 7
  4. Copy over those 3 backup files to your Nexus 7 (into Titainium Backup folder)
  5. Run Titainium Backup and restore WhatsApp (App+Data)
  6. Titainium Backup will first restore the app, and might self open
  7. When WhatsApp opens up just close it
  8. Titainium Backup will resume to restore the data
  9. Now run WhatsApp again, and it will prompt you to follow the initialization procedures
  10. It will fail after you submit your "mobile phone" number and Force Close
  11. Run WhatsApp again, and you are good to go :)

:laugh::good:

Edit: Please note that my TitaniumBackup was done on a custom ICS ROM (ParanoidAndroid) from my Samsung Infuse 4G phone. ICS is the closest thing to JB... so perhaps if you back up from Foyo or GB, it might not work. But give it a try.

METHOD 2
This is my method. Might work with an landline if you don't have a mobile at all, I haven't tried. I have an ordinary mobile (not a smartphone), and I managed to get Whatsapp to work on the N7 using Bluestacks.

Start by following this:

Install Whatsapp apk: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/current/WhatsApp.apk

Install Appguard - details here for the next few steps: http://xdaforums.com/show...1&postcount=17

Now if you fail verification for both the SMS and Voice methods like I did, and if you don't have a smartphone, the following is an option.

You need: a pc, a mobile phone for texts (an ordinary mobile phone is fine).

1. Download and install Bluestacks on your PC http://www.bluestacks.com
2. Select "Social" and install Whatsapp on your PC.
3. Input your mobile number. The SMS verification should work this time. Be patient, it can take 10 minutes.
4. Once you have your code go back to your Nexus 7 and input it.

Hope this helps!:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-20-22-34-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-20-22-34-21.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4,854
Last edited:

thunderskain

Mar 14, 2010
and the Nexus Whatsapp will use the same number as my phone?

So... if my phone gets a message, both phone and nexus will get it?

I've tried this before.. apparently it screws up the entire system. Some messages get send over to the phone, some send to N7 and some both! I wouldnt know if any of them didnt get sent over though..

But since this confusion started, i decided to take another number and use whatsapp along with it.. At least both my devices can chat with each other:p

codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011

Yes, it has the same number as your phone. But think of it like this, is not really a "number". WhatsApp treat your "number" like the account name (username).

It will go to your currently active device. I don't have issues with the messages, I used Nexus 7, all the messages went to my Nexus 7. If i start using my phone, messages will go to my phone. However, it MIGHT cause confusion if BOTH of your devices are active.

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
I've tried this before.. apparently it screws up the entire system. Some messages get send over to the phone, some send to N7 and some both! I wouldnt know if any of them didnt get sent over though..

But since this confusion started, i decided to take another number and use whatsapp along with it.. At least both my devices can chat with each other:p

Yes, it has the same number as your phone. But think of it like this, is not really a "number". WhatsApp treat your "number" like the account name (username).

It will go to your currently active device. I don't have issues with the messages, I used Nexus 7, all the messages went to my Nexus 7. If i start using my phone, messages will go to my phone. However, it MIGHT cause confusion if BOTH of your devices are active.

I've had this issue when i did it last year on my touchpad and desire hd...messages in conversation go to one device or the other and aren't synced

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011

I've had this issue when i did it last year on my touchpad and desire hd...messages in conversation go to one device or the other and aren't synced

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Think of this as Microsoft MSN Messenger... you only receives message towards your active client...
Anyhow, I'm using my mobile phone right now with WhatsApp, zero issue, since it is the currently active device.

It doesn't screw up anything, WhatsApp server just delivers to the whatever active device, and there is no sync just like MSN Messenger...

lexi250

Jun 25, 2011
Toronto
THANKS for this, I was a little disappointed when I can't install Whatsapp at the Play Store. :good:

meatlocker

Jul 29, 2007
FL
Didn't work for me. Install went fine (restored from TB), but on running, it says that it can't identify my device, and that tablets aren't supported. Thinking that maybe it was my DPI, I changed to 160 and tried again. No dice.

codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011
Didn't work for me. Install went fine (restored from TB), but on running, it says that it can't identify my device, and that tablets aren't supported. Thinking that maybe it was my DPI, I changed to 160 and tried again. No dice.

That's normal, just hit cancel when it says can't identify your device, let TB restore the data as well. Then launch it again, the restored data will trick WhatsApp to bypass the initial device checking. It will "think" your device is supported (because it thinks it was from your mobile phone).

If it failed, just uninstall WhatsApp completely from your Nexus, then do a restore completely from your TB (MUST BE APP+DATA).

PS: My TB backup was done on ICS from ParanoidAndroid ROM for Samsung Infuse 4G, so, MAYBE there could be some conflict if you come from Foyo or GB. ICS is the closest thing to JB.

Reactions: meatlocker

sotoskawasaki

Feb 2, 2012
Limassol, Cyprus
This trick works also with viber... Thanks OP for sharing!

Edit: I used my Galaxy Nexus running JB for backing up the apps. They both run great without errors or fc's.

Last edited:

ceramista

Feb 27, 2010
Lisboa
I restored data and app successfully but it still gives same error message. 'Not compatible with tabs'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I had the same problem, kept saying not compatible with tabs. After a few dozens of tries I got it working. Uninstalled everything whatapp related (from N7)and just used the 3 files from titanium back up (from Gnex) placed those 3 files in back up folder (titanium) and restored from there. I can assure you it works. Follow steps posted om some earlier post here.

Messages do not syncronize between devices. What I write on Gnex stays there, same for Nexus 7.

Good luck.

eyesonyou

Sep 11, 2012
İstanbul
I had the same problem, kept saying not compatible with tabs. After a few dozens of tries I got it working. Uninstalled everything whatapp related (from N7)and just used the 3 files from titanium back up (from Gnex) placed those 3 files in back up folder (titanium) and restored from there. I can assure you it works. Follow steps posted om some earlier post here.

Messages do not syncronize between devices. What I write on Gnex stays there, same for Nexus 7.

Good luck.

i took backup files from my friends android phone. i havent got any android device but n7. did anyone tried block "read phone state" permission?

codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011
i took backup files from my friends android phone. i havent got any android device but n7. did anyone tried block "read phone state" permission?

It needs to be YOUR OWN android phone, what's the point of taking your friend's backup? You will end up having his user data and Whatsapp number, which doesn't match your Nexus 7's user (you). Of course it won't work. The point of taking the TB backup from your own phone is that when you restore it in the N7, everything would remain more of less the same, including the user profile etc.

Unless you can add your own Google account + Whatsapp account to your friend's phone set it up, run it, then do a TB backup under your own accounts, otherwise i highly doubt it will work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    METHOD 1
    What your need:
    • Your mobile phone
    • Titainium Backup * Root

Steps to install WhatsApp to your Nexus 7:
    1. Use TI Backup to backup WhatsApp on your phone
    2. Copy the 3 backed up files (properties, tar.gz, apk.gz) from your Titainium Backup folder from your phone
    3. Install Titainium Backup on your Nexus 7
    4. Copy over those 3 backup files to your Nexus 7 (into Titainium Backup folder)
    5. Run Titainium Backup and restore WhatsApp (App+Data)
    6. Titainium Backup will first restore the app, and might self open
    7. When WhatsApp opens up just close it
    8. Titainium Backup will resume to restore the data
    9. Now run WhatsApp again, and it will prompt you to follow the initialization procedures
    10. It will fail after you submit your "mobile phone" number and Force Close
    11. Run WhatsApp again, and you are good to go :)

:laugh::good:

Edit: Please note that my TitaniumBackup was done on a custom ICS ROM (ParanoidAndroid) from my Samsung Infuse 4G phone. ICS is the closest thing to JB... so perhaps if you back up from Foyo or GB, it might not work. But give it a try.

METHOD 2
    This is my method. Might work with an landline if you don't have a mobile at all, I haven't tried. I have an ordinary mobile (not a smartphone), and I managed to get Whatsapp to work on the N7 using Bluestacks.

Start by following this:

Install Whatsapp apk: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/current/WhatsApp.apk

Install Appguard - details here for the next few steps: http://xdaforums.com/show...1&postcount=17

Now if you fail verification for both the SMS and Voice methods like I did, and if you don't have a smartphone, the following is an option.

You need: a pc, a mobile phone for texts (an ordinary mobile phone is fine).

1. Download and install Bluestacks on your PC http://www.bluestacks.com
    2. Select "Social" and install Whatsapp on your PC.
    3. Input your mobile number. The SMS verification should work this time. Be patient, it can take 10 minutes.
    4. Once you have your code go back to your Nexus 7 and input it.

Hope this helps!:)

That's normal, just hit cancel when it says can't identify your device, let TB restore the data as well. Then launch it again, the restored data will trick WhatsApp to bypass the initial device checking. It will "think" your device is supported (because it thinks it was from your mobile phone).

If it failed, just uninstall WhatsApp completely from your Nexus, then do a restore completely from your TB (MUST BE APP+DATA).

PS: My TB backup was done on ICS from ParanoidAndroid ROM for Samsung Infuse 4G, so, MAYBE there could be some conflict if you come from Foyo or GB. ICS is the closest thing to JB.

What error message did you get? Can't help you much if you just say it didn't work. :p
    How to update Whatsapp to a newer version

I'm already successfully running Whatsapp on my N7, since we aren't able to update via Google Play store, because of "incompatibility" here's what I did:

1) Backup Whatsapp with Titanium Backup

2) Uninstall Whatsapp (not sure if it's necessary)

3) Download and sideload latest Whatsapp APK from http://www.whatsapp.com/android/

4) Open Titanium Backup, find Whatsapp, click restore and select "Data only"
    The best way I have found to do this is get a pay as you go sim card and put it in your phone, install whats app using the pay as you go number, then back up those files and transfer to the nexus 7 (nexus 7 will be using PAYG number) then pop your normal sim card back into your phone and set up whatsapp again using your normal number, this way you will have a seperate number for the nexus, I have done this and it's working very well.