[Q] XPERIA Z VS. GALAXY S3 .mkv 10mbps playback

Search This thread

DanijasDub

Apr 21, 2010
Dublin IRL
Hi,
recently i have purchased Xperia Z (10.1.A.1.350 Original Sony Unbranded UK Rom) and i'm very happy with it overall, my friend owns Samsung galaxy S3 and he asked to play.mkv 10mbps video file on my stock player, he was using stock one as well. His phone was playing that file way better than my Xperia did, it was laggy since i pressed PLAY button:confused:. Can someone explain where is the problem??? Comparing in quadrant nearly everywhere score was twice better. How one year old device can beat just released phone with 1080p screen and so on??? Thank You for reading and answering if you know an answer :D

Media file info:

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 216 MiB
Duration : 3mn 11s
Overall bit rate : 9 449 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-05-28 02:19:04
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.5.0 ('Healer') built on Apr 6 2012 21:43:24
Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 50.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 122 r2184bm 5c85e0a
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 9ms
Default : Yes
Forced : No

ruffruff

Sep 15, 2006
I believe the native video player on S3 or Note 2 (or even since S2) has hardware decoding for MKV and a bunch of other codecs.

I am interested in xperia z and would also like to know if the native video player on XZ has hardware decoding.

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
I believe the native video player on S3 or Note 2 (or even since S2) has hardware decoding for MKV and a bunch of other codecs.

I am interested in xperia z and would also like to know if the native video player on XZ has hardware decoding.

Not for .mkv files I believe. Best to try an alternate media player, install the same one on both phones.

TheFirstFishy

May 7, 2012
Odense
Sv: [Q] XPERIA Z VS. GALAXY S3 .mkv 10mbps playback

We all know that more is better. It's all about the hardware and numbers, and only blind people and old men worry about software.

Somewhere around..

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
we tried, mkv player, mobo player, but they perfomed even worst on this video file, strage
:confused:

Dice and MX Player are the best out there, MX Player with the S/W+ decoder and maximum decoding cores set to 4 should manage OK (although the battery drain compared to hardware acceleration is rather extreme).

DanijasDub

Apr 21, 2010
Dublin IRL
We all know that more is better. It's all about the hardware and numbers, and only blind people and old men worry about software.

Somewhere around..

I know, but but practice showed different results in this case... We did comparison with my old XPERIA S and it was normal to be beaten by GALAXY S3 in terms of performance. But XZ perfomed even worst than XS last time. I was thinking maybe my phone is defected, but benchmark and overall perfomance doesn't show any sign of it. Quadrant for XZ(8100) GS3 (4300).

DanijasDub

Apr 21, 2010
Dublin IRL
Dice and MX Player are the best out there, MX Player with the S/W+ decoder and maximum decoding cores set to 4 should manage OK (although the battery drain compared to hardware acceleration is rather extreme).

Thanks for reply I will try (-:
Already tried both, dice didn't work on this video, but MX was ok was no lag in this video, but sound had few sec delay, tried different setting for it with sw and hw decoding. But the thing is why native configuration by XZ can't do that better than GS3 can...

Last edited:

xyge

Jun 2, 2012
Mumbai
Google Pixel 4a
You might want to move it to the internal memmory first and then try?

Since u mentioned 10mbps..i think this might be due to a lower capacity/class sd card?

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
You might want to move it to the internal memmory first and then try?

Since u mentioned 10mbps..i think this might be due to a lower capacity/class sd card?

Or fragmentation of the file on the sd card is very likely.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Hi,
recently i have purchased Xperia Z (10.1.A.1.350 Original Sony Unbranded UK Rom) and i'm very happy with it overall, my friend owns Samsung galaxy S3 and he asked to play.mkv 10mbps video file on my stock player, he was using stock one as well. His phone was playing that file way better than my Xperia did, it was laggy since i pressed PLAY button:confused:. Can someone explain where is the problem??? Comparing in quadrant nearly everywhere score was twice better. How one year old device can beat just released phone with 1080p screen and so on??? Thank You for reading and answering if you know an answer :D

Are you comparing the same file from the same card in both phones?

DanijasDub

Apr 21, 2010
Dublin IRL
Or fragmentation of the file on the sd card is very likely.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Hi,

Are you comparing the same file from the same card in both phones?
Yes file is the same, it even was in internal memory of XZ, I tried to play it from sandisk ultra cl10 as well, they perfomed exactly the same. SGS3 was playing file from card not sure now it was cl4 or cl10 but definitely not ultra. As I said MX player worked better than native but still it had few lags in video and big lag in audio playback. I was thinking it may be due to bad video file rip but it was perfectly in Windows 7, I know it is not comparable but did that just to be sure that isn't a file issue.