[Q] Can USB Audio be supported?

Search This thread

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
After many test, I can not use the Fiio E18 DAC with my Galaxy S.
On the GS are installed Cyanogenmod 10.2 (Android 4.3) and kernel Sempahore 3.3.0.

I'm looking for this answer: my GS can or not recognize and work with the external Audio device or not?
Is a hardware limitation or software?

It seems that the Semaphore comes with usb driver, but it seems is not enough.

Someone is able to help me?
Can a newer 4.4 rom give me better chance?

frogger5

Nov 4, 2010
In most of time USB DAC are not recognized by android smartphones even with JB or output usb driver. Besides galaxy s can't power this up even with battery in dac. Strange problem, JB was supposed to make use of this devices, but it didn't :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
In most of time USB DAC are not recognized by android smartphones even with JB or output usb driver. Besides galaxy s can't power this up even with battery in dac. Strange problem, JB was supposed to make use of this devices, but it didn't :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Many thanks for the answer!
When you write:

Besides galaxy s can't power this up even with battery in dac.

What does it mean? That the DAC must be power by the phone in order to be recognized?

Another question.
The new Android KK 4.4 is better for audio support or is the same as JB?

frogger5

Nov 4, 2010
Many thanks for the answer!
When you write:

What does it mean? That the DAC must be power by the phone in order to be recognized?

Another question.
The new Android KK 4.4 is better for audio support or is the same as JB?

I'm afraid i can't answer this question, because i just don't know. The DAC itself has a battery built in it, but somehow the electric energy doesn't flow through these two devices :( Sorry for my lack of knowledge, i hope you will somehow walk around this problem ;)
As far as I know KitKat 4.4 brings the audio tunneling feature. It means Android make use of built in DAC(e.g. Wolfson WM 8994), but sadly , now it's working only on Nexus 5.

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
After searching and reading I found the answer.
I think that is no way to make my E18 DAC work with the Galaxy S.
The problem is that the USB OTG is not enough: the kernel missing USB isochronous transfer feature and is not easy for a third-party developer or modder to modify a USB host driver because he doesn't have all the information on the implemented USB host controller, a hardware component.

If someone needs more information, the thread to read is on head-fi (but you can start from this thread where you find list of android device that can work with external DAC).