[APP] Screen Off Memo [Update: 21 Sept 2015]

Search This thread
Jul 20, 2010
Dresden
He is right.

I've downloaded the pro version of this app from an alternative web site (not available at playstore) and installed it on my Note 4.
I can use it normally, but it does not save anything.

krakers665

Sep 21, 2018
It doesn't work on note8 :/
I know this feature is included in note8, but it uses Samsung Notes - which you can't sync with Evernote, Google Keep etc.
I would use this app to use Screen Off Memo with S Note instead of Samsung Notes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's been a while but here is another app I would like to share with those still using the Note 3 like me while waiting for the Note 6 perhaps.

Screen Off Memo is a feature I like on the Note 5 and so I decided to make one for my Note 3. I have not held a Note 5 yet so I don't know how the screen off memo works except what I saw on video reviews so the app may not be as perfect but it works for what I need it for. Any feedback would be welcome.

UPDATE - 21 Sept 2015
    - fixed some issues with spen detachment starting the app even when unlocked
    - toned the brightness of the icons as well as the pen strokes to reduce glare and offer more readability
    - fixed issue with pen thickness in the v1.2 (some users like it thicker - I might include some settings to set user prefs in the future)
    - adding new notes will trigger separate notification

Hopefully the issue specially on the Note 4/Edge has been solved.

Screen Off Memo version 1.3 can be downloaded below.

Install and RUN at least once from the app drawer so the app will be registered for the broadcast action when spen is detached. To enable the app to lock the screen when spen is attached, you must activate/enable it in Settings>Security>Device Administrator.

Based on user feedback I have retained the simplicity of the app. Just added ability to add new memo. Changed some icons for simpler ones. Cleaned up the code a bit to make it run faster and as little footprint as possible. Added option to turn off screen when pen is attached. And of course, it would now run on most Note devices (API 19 & above).

The app would also run on other Galaxy devices without spen but only when launched from the app drawer. But I am trying to find a way to trigger on the lockscreen maybe via a floating button but still a work in progress. I may work on it if there is demand but otherwise might just focus on the Note series.

At the moment I am testing an immersive mode version where no virtual buttons on the screen... just a whole screen of black space to doodle on and using sensors to toggle pen and eraser or the toolbar. Still a work in progress though but we'll see....

Anyway have fun and still your suggestions are welcome. But please keep the thread on topic.

It is a free app but please don't redistribute it nor modify it for redistribution. I don't mind if you include it in a ROM as long as the info page is intact.

Credits: BIG THANKS to @and2, @swiss420 and some others I don't know their xda usernames for their support. :)
    I never expected it will be quite useful to a lot of users. I initially just wanted to use it on the Note 3 (because that is the only device I have) initially just to get feedback but on the next update it should work on all Note devices on kitkat and lollipop. No need to edit build.prop. :) It may even work on the Galaxy S series using finger but it may be pointless as there is no way to trigger it on lockscreen. On the S6 Edge/Edge+ maybe can be launched from the edge panel when screen is off.

I made some additions like ability to create new memo once you saved the previous one. But I am still deciding if I will add the ability to save as action memo, snote file, or image file. Also I am deciding if it will be wise to include the ability to select pen type, pen color or width, eraser type or width whatever. Also maybe the ability to open saved memos on the lockscreen itself. But then again, Screen Off Memo is supposed to be simple so might as well be simple. What do you think? Voice your opinions so I can make up my mind what to include/not include in the app.
    who wants to try SOM on Note4 - please go MOD EDIT

So you just took the liberty to decompile my app and remove the restrictions I built in it, then open a thread of your own distributing my (but now becomes "your") repackaged app? How cool is that! And then come to my thread to direct users to your newly open thread? How even cooler is that!

There is a good reason why I put restrictions in the app. As it is an initial release, I want to get feedback from fellow note 3 users as the note 3 is the device I am developing on to see which works and which doesn't.

And I think I made myself clear when I said the next version will support other note devices with some of the features that users suggested. It may have been taking longer for the update but I too have a life outside of xda which I have to work on.

Now I am slightly reluctant to release the next version.
    Just uploaded version 1.3 that fixes some issues encountered by a lot of Note 4 users. It contains other fixes and minor additions which you can read in the OP. Download is in the first post. Hopefully I did not miss something again.
    @xperiacle man you are amazing. I just installed and it works like a charm. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk