[Tutorial]How To Root and Unroot Samsung Galaxy Ace official Gingerbread 2.3 updgrade

Search This thread

gganon

Sep 4, 2011
If you’ve upgraded your Ace’s firmware to the official gingerbread update you might know that SuperOneClick rooting method doesn’t work anymore. Luckily there is another method involving installing a zip file from recovery which I’m going to explain now. This method is actually better since you don’t have to connect the ace to a computer. You can root and unroot on the fly. So in this tutorial I’ll be showing you how to root AND unroot you Samsung galaxy ace!
Caution: In my experience nothing has ever gone wrong with rooting. There is always that slight chance something can mess up. Use caution and only do this if you want to. I am not responsible if anything happens (but I really don’t think anything will happen if you do everything right) :D Also rooting voids your warranty but don’t worry, unrooting should give it back like nothing ever happened.!!
Download the two zip files I’ve attached below

How to Root the Galaxy Ace 2.3

1. Copy the Root.zip file (download below) into your sd card. You can even put it in a folder if you want.

2. Turn your phone off

3. Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do that, hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on and you see the Samsung logo, let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After the Galaxy Ace logo shows up and disappears, you should enter recovery mode. You can let go of HOME now.

4. Now in recovery mode, you can scroll up and down using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons and select using the HOME button.

5. Scroll to the second option “apply update from sdcard” and press HOME to select.

6. Scroll to the Root.zip file and select it (if you put it in a folder, find and open that folder and then select Root.zip

7. After it’s done installing, select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to reboot

8. To check if your phone is rooted, go to you app drawer and look for an app called superuser with an icon of a pirate android with cross bones. If you see it, your phone is rooted.

Congrats! You’ve officially rooted you galaxy ace!!
Now what if you want to go back to unrooted for some reason , or just for the heck of it?? It’s easy. Very similar to rooting

How to Un-root the Ace 2.3:

1. Download unroot.zip (below) and put in sd card

2. Turn off the phone and boot into recovery (refer to step 3 above)

3. Install the unroot.zip (similar to step 5 and 6 above)

4. Restart phone (incase you’re THAT stupid, refer to step 7 above)

5. Look in the app drawer and if all went well, the superuser icon should no longer be there!!!

Note: I've tested the unroot.zip and it works for me. But just incase it still doesn't work you can use a root explorer and delete some files to unroot:-

-Open up market and download "ES File Explorer" (or if you have any other root explorer you can use that).
-Open ES files explorer, tap menu, go to settings, go to the "Root settings" section and enable "Root Explorer" and "Mount file system" (you have to be rooted to do this)
-go back and tap Favorites in the top left corner and select "/". Now go to system/app/ and find and delete "Superuser.apk". PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! dont delete anything other than the files I mention.
-go back to system/ and open the "xbin" folder and delete the following files and ONLY THESE FILES!!!:
1. busybox
2. sh
3. sqlite3
4. su
5. su-v1
6. su-v2
7. su-v3
-restart phone

Your ace is now un-rooted! It’s that simple. Hope I’ve helped! I’m not sure this method works for froyo, but there are plenty of tutorials for rooting froyo ace as well.

Note: the root and unroot zip files are not mine. Got them from some nice people on the internet and then renamed them! :p

I got the root.zip from http://androidforums.com/ace-all-things-root/328648-galaxy-ace-root-gingerbread-2-3-3-a.html ......... on this site the zip is originally named upd_1.zip

The unroot.zip is from here http://www.tutebox.com/3708/mobile/how-to-unroot-samsung-galaxy-ace-with-android-2-3-4-or-2-3-3/ ….. the zip was originally named update.zip

Thanks to the people who made these zips!!

Attachments

• Root.zip
    924.8 KB · Views: 595,724
  • Unroot.zip
    101.3 KB · Views: 152,846
Last edited:
[This is a tutorial on how to root and unroot the official Galaxy Ace GINGERBREAD (android 2.3). It won’t work for the froyo (android 2.2 version). If you google you should find guides on rooting ace froyo. If you can’t (which I doubt) you can request me to make a tutorial on rooting the galaxy ace on android 2.2]

If you’ve upgraded your Ace’s firmware to the official gingerbread update you might know that SuperOneClick rooting method doesn’t work anymore. Luckily there is another method involving installing a zip file from recovery which I’m going to explain now. This method is actually better since you don’t have to connect the ace to a computer. You can root and unroot on the fly. So in this tutorial I’ll be showing you how to root AND unroot you Samsung galaxy ace!
Caution: In my experience nothing has ever gone wrong with rooting. There is always that slight chance something can mess up. Use caution and only do this if you want to. I am not responsible if anything happens (but I really don’t think anything will happen if you do everything right) :D Also rooting voids your warranty but don’t worry, unrooting should give it back like nothing ever happened.!!

1. Copy the Root.zip file (download below) into your sd card. You can even put it in a folder if you want.

2. Turn your phone off

3. Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do that, hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on and you see the Samsung logo, let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After the Galaxy Ace logo shows up and disappears, you should enter recovery mode. You can let go of HOME now.

4. Now in recovery mode, you can scroll up and down using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons and select using the HOME button.

5. Scroll to the second option “apply update from sdcard” and press HOME to select.

6. Scroll to the Root.zip file and select it (if you put it in a folder, find and open that folder and then select Root.zip

7. After it’s done installing, select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to reboot

8. To check if your phone is rooted, go to you app drawer and look for an app called superuser with an icon of a pirate android with cross bones. If you see it, your phone is rooted.

Now what if you want to go back to unrooted for some reason , or just for the heck of it?? It’s easy. Very similar to rooting

5. Look in the app drawer and if all went well, the superuser icon should no longer be there!!!

Your ace is now un-rooted! It’s that simple. Hope I’ve helped! I’m not sure this method works for froyo, but there are plenty of tutorials for rooting froyo ace as well. If you want, you can request me to make one. But I doubt I’ll need to. Anyway, do this at your own risk and of course have fun!! Take care!! (of the Ace, that is)

Note: the root and unroot zip files are not mine. Got them from some nice people on the internet and then renamed them! :p

I got the root.zip from http://androidforums.com/ace-all-things-root/328648-galaxy-ace-root-gingerbread-2-3-3-a.html ......... on this site the zip is originally named upd_1.zip

The unroot.zip is from here http://www.tutebox.com/3708/mobile/how-to-unroot-samsung-galaxy-ace-with-android-2-3-4-or-2-3-3/ ….. the zip was originally named update.zip

Hubix covered that.....I think

Forever living in my Galaxy Ace using XDA App

Reactions: Ca6D and ananddugad

gganon

Sep 4, 2011

Well i wasn't able to find any posts on rooting and unrooting the 2.3 update. most people just show rooting and then i had to google around for unrooting. So i just thought i'd make one. Had nothing better to do this weekend. :rolleyes:

zt3

Oct 29, 2011
Unrooting issue

I've tried the unrooting tutorial by hubix. However, as I tried using root checker ver 3.2 by Joey Krim, there was a conflict. During my first test (advance mode), the output says

"Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.
Superuser.apk - com. noshufou. android. su - is NOT installed!
The application Superuser is recommended as it provides basic security and is available for free in the Android Market
Standard su binary location:
/system/bin/su: No such file or directory
/system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Alternate su binary location:
/sbin/su: Permission denied
SU binary not found in the system declared PATH"

Second time around and it displayed the same output. However, starting at the third trial and so on, the output says

"Congratulations! You have root access!
Superuser.apk - com. noshufou. android. su - is NOT installed!
The application Superuser is recommended as it provides basic security and is available for free in the Android Market
/system/bin/su: No such file or directory
/system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Alternate su binary location:
/sbin/su: Permission denied
Root user id:
Root not properly returning its user id
Root group id:
Root not properly returning its group id"

It was weird though, I've got a feeling that something's wrong, either my unrooting process or the app itself. Any ideas?

pilo_kulet

Nov 14, 2011
new to flashing

hello,
-i recently upgraded my galaxy ace to gingerbread 2.3.5 will this (rooting tutorial) work with this firmware or should i revert it back to 2.3.4 so i could try rooting?
-i found out in samfirmware.com that they only have 2.3.4 updates, so does that mean my current firmware is no good?

slayer29719

Dec 2, 2011
Rooted yay!

Thanks for the tutorial, i managed to root my Samsung Ace, the files with the bar-code was helpful too, not tried un-rooting yet so i cannot confirm this works

thanks!

Last edited:

animal_he

Jan 5, 2012
I am not able to root my Unlocked SGA Gingerbread 2.3.5?
I can see superuser icon but Busybox says no root access.
I have tried upd_1, AceGingerRoot but same result.

domnic79

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Panaji
I am not able to root my Unlocked SGA Gingerbread 2.3.5?
I can see superuser icon but Busybox says no root access.
I have tried upd_1, AceGingerRoot but same result.

Change ur baseband & check if su work.

Sent from Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 using TheMyth beta2 lite.
Dont jus say thanks, use d 'THANKS' button. [XDA RULE]

animal_he

Jan 5, 2012
And how do I do that?
And if I change my baseband, will my phone update itself through Kies when update is available?

animal_he

Jan 5, 2012
Update

I couldnt resist and flashed GT-S5830_INU_S5830DDKQ6_S5830ODDKQ5_S5830DDKQ6

Done successfully.
Thanx a lot.

But now Kies says, Device doesn't support update through Kies!!

yasumy

Jan 9, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)

Does this also work on the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)?

Thanks in advance,

Yasumy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Turn your phone off

Note: I've tested the unroot.zip and it works for me. But just incase it still doesn't work you can use a root explorer and delete some files to unroot:-

-Open up market and download "ES File Explorer" (or if you have any other root explorer you can use that).
    -Open ES files explorer, tap menu, go to settings, go to the "Root settings" section and enable "Root Explorer" and "Mount file system" (you have to be rooted to do this)
    -go back and tap Favorites in the top left corner and select "/". Now go to system/app/ and find and delete "Superuser.apk". PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! dont delete anything other than the files I mention.
    -go back to system/ and open the "xbin" folder and delete the following files and ONLY THESE FILES!!!:
    1. busybox
    2. sh
    3. sqlite3
    4. su
    5. su-v1
    6. su-v2
    7. su-v3
    -restart phone

Your ace is now un-rooted! It’s that simple. Hope I’ve helped! I’m not sure this method works for froyo, but there are plenty of tutorials for rooting froyo ace as well.

[This is a tutorial on how to root and unroot the official Galaxy Ace GINGERBREAD (android 2.3). It won’t work for the froyo (android 2.2 version). If you google you should find guides on rooting ace froyo. If you can’t (which I doubt) you can request me to make a tutorial on rooting the galaxy ace on android 2.2]

2. Turn your phone off

Your ace is now un-rooted! It’s that simple. Hope I’ve helped! I’m not sure this method works for froyo, but there are plenty of tutorials for rooting froyo ace as well. If you want, you can request me to make one. But I doubt I’ll need to. Anyway, do this at your own risk and of course have fun!! Take care!! (of the Ace, that is)

Does this work with ddkq6 ?
    I am a new user and i have a doubt...do i need to install CWM to root my phone ??

CWM is a recovery. It doesnt root ur fone.

Sent from Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 using Jusada's awsum ICSunday2 + Slaidmod script.
    Dont jus say thanks, use d 'THANKS' button. [XDA RULE]
    Hey Guys need some help! For a while now I've been trying to root my Galaxy ace 2.3.4, no success! Driving me crazy, hopefully ive found my solution with you all. I get the error message below, well i'll type in part of what I thnk may help:

"GT-S5830@ getprop("ro.product.device"

GT-s5570 getprop("product...

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Tried about 3 different root.zip files and same thing. Should I try saving the files on my phone instead of my sd card? :( Please help if possible! THNX

Did you try this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1034145
    Hi,
    Tried the root zip file to root a samsung galaxy Ace S5830T running 2.3.4 and GINGERBREAD.DVKQ3 but failed with following errors:

Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

any ideas ...

I have the same problem on mine. I have the Galaxy Ace S5830D and I'm running the Root.zip at the very top of this thread.

Using GINGERBREAD.DTLKI4 in Canada....Koodo phone.

Dan