Adoptive storage on Marshmallow

Search This thread

jonnyd100

Jan 4, 2015
Hello, as can be seen for the numerous threads, marshmallow has been released for the M4 aqua. To many peoples disappointment the update did not contain adoptive storage. I have found a method on MoDaCo which details how to do this on the galaxy S7 and S7 edge (Source http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/) and i have found out this works on some marshmallow phones. I have had success with this on my dad's LG K8 and my own M4 Aqua. Here I will go through the main steps but also look through the post on MoDaCo.

Requirement:
M4 Aqua with Marshmallow firmware (Tested on E2303 but have heard of success on others) with USB debugging enabled
SD Card (High speed recommended if going to be used for apps since if on slower SD's can be known to crash and run slowly)
I RECOMMEND USING A 16GB ON 50/50 LOOK IN ADVICE
ADB tools

DISCLAIMER - I take no responsibility for any problems with SD card not functioning properly or loss of data after doing this tutorial, I did not come up with this workaround and everyone should check the linked post to MoCaDo to see what the person thinks since I'm just going through the tutorial as well and thought I should let the community know

1. Back up any important files on your SD Card since they will be formatted and re-partitioned.
2. Enable developer settings and turn on Debug over USB
3. Set up your ADB tools on the PC side and open a command window in the adb file.
4. Type "adb devices" and confirm your phone is connected and is recognised in the program
5. Now type "adb shell" and then "sm list-disks" Now it will tell you the ID for your SD connected in your phone. This will look like "disk:179,130" This number could be bigger or smaller but will be two sets of numbers separated by either a comma or a colon
6. Now it's time to partition the disk. This can be configured in a number of ways.
Apply the comand you want replacing diskid with the number shown in the part above, including the comma or colon
-If you want your USB to be fully adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid private" ( I've heard some issues about this way) Have heard this doesn't work well so not recommended
-If you want partially adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid mixed 50" This splits the USB 50/50 If you want more adopted storage, decrease the number. ( Seems to work best as 50/50) The number is the percentage that is not Adoptive so for 30% adoptive you would put 70
-If you want to reformat the card to be non adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid public"

Do not just reformat the card on the phone software if you want to make it back into standard storage. I have had problems doing this since it said in the post it was fine but did not work for me.

If you go onto the phone, you'll now see your new adopted storage. As the method is not the proper way to do it, The total space and available space and space used may look a bit weird with outrageous numbers.

Advice:
- I was having some problems before after flashing the update myself. I ended up having to format my card on my PC and repairing the phone through companion and it seems to be working much better.
- Also I don't know if this really matters but i first installed all the updates for the sony stock stuff before partitioning the SD card.
After following these extra steps i've installed a ton of apps with no warning about low storage.
-Don't allocate more than 8GB to adoptive storage since it doesn't seem to really work well. This may be because there is a 16 GB version of the M4 so just thinks that is just normal storage. I tried this with a 32GB on 50/50 and this totally mucked up. So I recommend using 16 GB on 50/50
Edit: Now looking at my storage, the numbers for the storage don't seem outrageous and seem like they could be accurate.

Last edited:

jonnyd100

Jan 4, 2015
Yes, i've done a full adoptive.
It may be because it is looking for an Sd on standard mode but cannot. I think the best way to go while doing this is going mixed 50/50 or 75/50. For me, Spotify didn't see the adoptive partition so I could't save my music to it, i had to save it to my SD that wasn't adoptive

Reactions: porroni

porroni

Jul 19, 2016
It may be because it is looking for an Sd on standard mode but cannot. I think the best way to go while doing this is going mixed 50/50 or 75/50. For me, Spotify didn't see the adoptive partition so I could't save my music to it, i had to save it to my SD that wasn't adoptive

Done the mixed one (20/80), now camera works fine. It's the best solution.

Reactions: jonnyd100

asierrg

Aug 21, 2012
One problem

Hi, I used this method and all good. But just let me go applications that previously could partially move, only now fully. Other applications no. I have mixed 50/50. Any solution? Sorry for my english, thanks!

blubbington

Oct 11, 2015
Hey there,

tried the method as well, but I got a weird problem. The device storage is negative and given in "B" i.e. "-15045169152,00 B". The cards and storage below are shown properly. I live in Germany and got the Update via PC Companion. I retried the procedure with a fomated sd card with equal results.

Can someone tell me how the phone should behave during typing the commands in adb (I use minimal adb 1.4). Does it restart on its own? (Should it have been done in fastboot?!)

Best,

Fabian

Last edited:

jonnyd100

Jan 4, 2015
Hey there,

tried the method as well, but I got a weird problem. The device storage is negative and given in "B" i.e. "-15045169152,00 B". The cards and storage below are shown properly. I live in Germany and got the Update via PC Companion. I retried the procedure with a fomated sd card with equal results.

Can someone tell me how the phone should behave during typing the commands in adb (I use minimal adb 1.4). Does it restart on its own? (Should it have been done in fastboot?!)

Best,

Fabian
Hey! As i said at the end, since this isn't supported by sony it can give some weird numbers but it still does work.

Reactions: blubbington

blubbington

Oct 11, 2015
Hey! As i said at the end, since this isn't supported by sony it can give some weird numbers but it still does work.

Thanks for the quick reply! But that is more than a weird number right? Not even in GB. Should it restart automatically after the partitioning?

Edit: I got the 85% storage message also after installing a few apps... :(

jonnyd100

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply! But that is more than a weird number right? Not even in GB. Should it restart automatically after the partitioning?

Edit: I got the 85% storage message also after installing a few apps... :(
It didn't restart for me. I find it weird why you are getting low storage... How did you partition the card?
Edit: I have 74 apps from the play store including the sony apps and I'm still fine for storage

blubbington

Oct 11, 2015
It didn't restart for me. I find it weird why you are getting low storage... How did you partition the card?
Edit: I have 74 apps from the play store including the sony apps and I'm still fine for storage
I used the mixed 50 routine. Its a 64GB Samsung Pro. Which adb tool did you use? Perhaps there are differences?

Asan7

May 27, 2016
Should i buy UHS-3 Class 10 card or what is the optimal card speed for this ?

Asan7

May 27, 2016
I would recommend a high speed SD Card. My dad is using a slower normal SD card and it doesn't seem to work very well, apps are slow and crash.
But, these high speed cards are for video recording in 4K etc.. can card reader in this phone use full potential of high speed cards or its not restricted ?

jonnyd100

Jan 4, 2015
But, these high speed cards are for video recording in 4K etc.. can card reader in this phone use full potential of high speed cards or its not restricted ?
I wouldn't go that far. I'm using a sandisk ultra 16GB which is a cat 10. I think they should be sufficient. any card that says microsd HC or something like that should be fine
Edit: This motorola page is really good to look at https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/109134/p/1449,9582

Reactions: Asan7

lazarusxd

Apr 1, 2015
so I want to share my experience with you guys, I partitioned my sd card like this: %60 SD card, %40 adoptive storage. I have a sd card with 95r/90w speeds and when I installed A1 SD bench in my internal storage, it shows these results: (accurate with reboot)
both SD and adoptive storage: read 40, write 45 MBs
internal: read 100, write 20-25 MBs
I would say app opening speeds are normal and apps don't crash. I can't move all apps to adoptive storage, so that's a bummer
I am currently waiting for someone to find a way to root so that I can keep using link2sd as usual :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, as can be seen for the numerous threads, marshmallow has been released for the M4 aqua. To many peoples disappointment the update did not contain adoptive storage. I have found a method on MoDaCo which details how to do this on the galaxy S7 and S7 edge (Source http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/) and i have found out this works on some marshmallow phones. I have had success with this on my dad's LG K8 and my own M4 Aqua. Here I will go through the main steps but also look through the post on MoDaCo.

Requirement:
    M4 Aqua with Marshmallow firmware (Tested on E2303 but have heard of success on others) with USB debugging enabled
    SD Card (High speed recommended if going to be used for apps since if on slower SD's can be known to crash and run slowly)
    I RECOMMEND USING A 16GB ON 50/50 LOOK IN ADVICE
    ADB tools

DISCLAIMER - I take no responsibility for any problems with SD card not functioning properly or loss of data after doing this tutorial, I did not come up with this workaround and everyone should check the linked post to MoCaDo to see what the person thinks since I'm just going through the tutorial as well and thought I should let the community know

1. Back up any important files on your SD Card since they will be formatted and re-partitioned.
    2. Enable developer settings and turn on Debug over USB
    3. Set up your ADB tools on the PC side and open a command window in the adb file.
    4. Type "adb devices" and confirm your phone is connected and is recognised in the program
    5. Now type "adb shell" and then "sm list-disks" Now it will tell you the ID for your SD connected in your phone. This will look like "disk:179,130" This number could be bigger or smaller but will be two sets of numbers separated by either a comma or a colon
    6. Now it's time to partition the disk. This can be configured in a number of ways.
    Apply the comand you want replacing diskid with the number shown in the part above, including the comma or colon
    -If you want your USB to be fully adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid private" ( I've heard some issues about this way) Have heard this doesn't work well so not recommended
    -If you want partially adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid mixed 50" This splits the USB 50/50 If you want more adopted storage, decrease the number. ( Seems to work best as 50/50) The number is the percentage that is not Adoptive so for 30% adoptive you would put 70
    -If you want to reformat the card to be non adopted type "sm partition disk:diskid public"

Do not just reformat the card on the phone software if you want to make it back into standard storage. I have had problems doing this since it said in the post it was fine but did not work for me.

If you go onto the phone, you'll now see your new adopted storage. As the method is not the proper way to do it, The total space and available space and space used may look a bit weird with outrageous numbers.

Advice:
    - I was having some problems before after flashing the update myself. I ended up having to format my card on my PC and repairing the phone through companion and it seems to be working much better.
    - Also I don't know if this really matters but i first installed all the updates for the sony stock stuff before partitioning the SD card.
    After following these extra steps i've installed a ton of apps with no warning about low storage.
    -Don't allocate more than 8GB to adoptive storage since it doesn't seem to really work well. This may be because there is a 16 GB version of the M4 so just thinks that is just normal storage. I tried this with a 32GB on 50/50 and this totally mucked up. So I recommend using 16 GB on 50/50
    Edit: Now looking at my storage, the numbers for the storage don't seem outrageous and seem like they could be accurate.
    All of you guys above!!!
    to have new apps installed on adoptive storage, you need to go settings/storage/adoptive partition/ top right corner ... and select migrate (move) data
    Hi, I used this method and all good. But just let me go applications that previously could partially move, only now fully. Other applications no. I have mixed 50/50. Any solution? Sorry for my english, thanks!
    I think that only apps that can move to sd card can be moved to the adoptive partition
    So, I don't have any access?? :/
    will the apps still go in there if I install from apk??

You can, i was stuck in there too, but it's very simple.
    To get access on the adoptive partition, you have to migrate data to it. Go into storage settings, open the adoptive one, click on the settings menu in te upper right and choose "Migrate data" or something, I don't know if that's the right translation. After that, file managers and PC won't see anymore the internal memory, but the adoptive one. I'd raccomand to insert this passage in the guide too. If you want to see again the internal memory, or you want to remove definitively the adoptive one, you just have to do "migrate data" on internal memory.
    Just a little word of warning to people

I've had adoptable storage working since the update, not had a single issue with it

This morning I restarted my phone, when it started back up all the apps I moved to the SD card no longer open. I can still access all the data on the sd card but now none of my apps work properly and I'm getting error messages whenever any app tries to read or write to the SD.

This is a high performance SD card, brand new when I updated my phone, now it seems like the sd card is completely corrupted...

Looks like I'm factory resetting my phone again...

I honestly wouldn't even bother trying this method now. I can't have all my apps randomly corrupting at any point. We desperately need some other way of doing this without rooting the phone