[Recovery] Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) - 2.2.1.5 (last update: 18 August 2012)

Search This thread

elegos

Jul 25, 2009
Milano
Redmi K20 Pro
Hello everybody!

Yesterday I was thinking about a new app for Android, and this app would be able to comunicate with the recovery to schedule things like backup and restore. In 2011 I released "ROM Updater" (not that big success though) which used extendedcommands, an extension to the recoveries made by the team of CyanogenMod (it was indeed created to let the CM updater work).

ClockworkMod Recovery adopted this system, but the author probably didn't want the competition, so started to release the ClockworkMod recovery with encrypted extendedcommands. You can still recompile CWM and redistribute with the unencrypted commands, though I decided to opt for something less rouge-ish (why the hell should I recompile something that already "works"?).

Team Win Recovery Project is a 100% open-source recovery with a new scripting language, called "OpenRecoveryScript". It's just like extendedcommands, but without all the implications of "Premium"* or in any case limited API.

Well, TWRP is not only that, it's a full-multitouch recovery, easy to use. It's being built for a list of devices, and this list will be updated every time someone will compile the recovery for his own device. I decided to compile it for the P7500, hoping it will be added soon to the official list. In the mean while, I'll release the builds right here.

I've built and tested the recovery image for the P7500 (WiFi+GSM) and it's been confirmed that it works on the P7510 device too (WiFi only).

Goo.im GT-P7500 TWRP repository
TechErrata GT-P7500 TWRP repository

TWRP 2.2.1.5 - GT-P7500
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on Goo.im)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on TechErrata.com)

TWRP 2.2.2.0 - GT-P7510 (thanks to MapleSyrup)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.img

How to flash:
- Copy the recovery into the storage partition (alias /sdcard)
- In adb, as root, execute dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Cheers

*I personally think that Koushik Dutta (the ClockworkMod guy), encrypting the commands with his distributions, played hard: ROM Manager is the "official" CyanogenMod updater (it's distributed along with any CM release even if it's not opensource (and the CM guys worked hard to take the closed-source apps out of their release)), de-facto everybody install the CWM recovery just 'cause it's already there (déjà vu Internet Explorer?). I think this is called "monopoly" and should be fought in any possible way.

Last edited:

Swammy1979

Apr 8, 2012
Los Angles, CA
I'm all for true open source development, and will be watching your progress on this. Kudos and a thanks to you!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
This appears to work on my Wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p7510). Although the log says "E: Unable to mount /sdcard" I can access the sdcard just fine. I tried updating to the latest droidbasement.com kernel and it flashed perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for the quick and easy non-odin way of flashing recoveries.

rekrapg

Aug 10, 2009
Brisbane
I can say without a doubt that this is the best recovery I have used on any device in my 3 years with android phones. Wow! Graphics a bit grainy on the p7500, but functionality is fantastic! Thanks!

atermify

Mar 31, 2012
Louisiana
Can confirm that it works on the WiFi only version. Thanks for the options , friend. Been running TWRP on my One X since the boot loader was unlocked, and I was missing it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyNailz

Swammy1979

Apr 8, 2012
Los Angles, CA
At the risk of sounding like a noob.....what is adb, and can someone provide a link so I can school myself on it?

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
At the risk of sounding like a noob.....what is adb, and can someone provide a link so I can school myself on it?

You don't actually need to use adb. Any terminal app should do it. Just tyope "su" before issuing the dd command. I used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=nav_result. I suppose a word of caution would be to make sure you have the command correctly. Don't make a typo like mmcblk0p3 or you could be in a nasty situation.

Adb can be found in the android sdk. Google "android sdk" and download the appropriate one. After that have the sdk download platform tools.

Reactions: Swammy1979

Swammy1979

Apr 8, 2012
Los Angles, CA
Thanks....I went on google and am now learning about Android SDK. Interesting stuff. I know how I will be spending my weekend!

EDIT: In the meantime, I went ahead and used terminal emulator for the commands. I definitely like the touch interface...and it looks nicer than cwm for sure! It is a little slow graphically, but I think that can be forgiven based on the look of the interface.

Confirmed working on the p7510 wifi

Last edited:

MapleSyrup

Oct 9, 2011
This is a really nice recovery, thanks for posting it. And I think that with this recovery I can flash a zip from the command line, this will be really useful for my scripts.

The dropbox image is already update to fix the /sdcard "problem" ^^

BTW, I'm compiling it for the GT-P7510 (p4wifi), everything works fine, but I don't know how to fix the /sdcard error message, could you please tell me how to do it?

elegos

Jul 25, 2009
Milano
Redmi K20 Pro
This is a really nice recovery, thanks for posting it. And I think that with this recovery I can flash a zip from the command line, this will be really useful for my scripts.

BTW, I'm compiling it for the GT-P7510 (p4wifi), everything works fine, but I don't know how to fix the /sdcard error message, could you please tell me how to do it?

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/gt-p7500/openrecovery-twrp-gt-p7500-2.1.8.img

^-- this works for the 7510 too :)

BTW it's just a line in recovery.fstab in the device sources: comment the /sdcard one.

Last edited:

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Works great for me although it's a bit slow to boot into compared to CWM or even to TWRP on my brother's HP Touchpad. Also text is a bit pixelated. Other than that though it seems to work well. I use 4ext on my Nexus One so it's really nice to finally get a touch recovery on my tab too :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody!

Yesterday I was thinking about a new app for Android, and this app would be able to comunicate with the recovery to schedule things like backup and restore. In 2011 I released "ROM Updater" (not that big success though) which used extendedcommands, an extension to the recoveries made by the team of CyanogenMod (it was indeed created to let the CM updater work).

ClockworkMod Recovery adopted this system, but the author probably didn't want the competition, so started to release the ClockworkMod recovery with encrypted extendedcommands. You can still recompile CWM and redistribute with the unencrypted commands, though I decided to opt for something less rouge-ish (why the hell should I recompile something that already "works"?).

Team Win Recovery Project is a 100% open-source recovery with a new scripting language, called "OpenRecoveryScript". It's just like extendedcommands, but without all the implications of "Premium"* or in any case limited API.

Well, TWRP is not only that, it's a full-multitouch recovery, easy to use. It's being built for a list of devices, and this list will be updated every time someone will compile the recovery for his own device. I decided to compile it for the P7500, hoping it will be added soon to the official list. In the mean while, I'll release the builds right here.

I've built and tested the recovery image for the P7500 (WiFi+GSM) and it's been confirmed that it works on the P7510 device too (WiFi only).

Goo.im GT-P7500 TWRP repository
    TechErrata GT-P7500 TWRP repository

TWRP 2.2.1.5 - GT-P7500
    openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on Goo.im)
    openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on TechErrata.com)

TWRP 2.2.2.0 - GT-P7510 (thanks to MapleSyrup)
    openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.img

How to flash:
    - Copy the recovery into the storage partition (alias /sdcard)
    - In adb, as root, execute dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Cheers

*I personally think that Koushik Dutta (the ClockworkMod guy), encrypting the commands with his distributions, played hard: ROM Manager is the "official" CyanogenMod updater (it's distributed along with any CM release even if it's not opensource (and the CM guys worked hard to take the closed-source apps out of their release)), de-facto everybody install the CWM recovery just 'cause it's already there (déjà vu Internet Explorer?). I think this is called "monopoly" and should be fought in any possible way.
    I've compiled TWRP for the GT-P7510 (p4wifi), select your flash method:

recovery.img

Odin flashable - recovery.tar.md5

Flashable zip via recovery (CWM or TWRP) - TWRP-29-06-12.07-45-flashable.zip

This one has a different bootscreen: Flashable zip via recovery (CWM or TWRP)

And for those who want to go back to CWM, look at the attachments (the cwm-5.5.0.4 is a flashable zip version of pershoot's recovery)
    Sorry for the late update, but here it is. Updated to 2.2.2.0 for GT-P7510 - [25/Aug/2012]

Flashable zip in TWRP or CWM -> openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.zip
    md5: 43604765e69362e5fa5fd291165e7f2c

Image -> openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.img
    md5: 2a8fe62950cc12a7d7ab552af1c77b6e

Flash via Odin -> recovery.tar.md5
    md5: 4e241896d7426eefdeed9a45eb0327cd
    D
    D2dyno
    I flashed the 7500 on the 7510, and it works just fine.

Sent from my MB855
    TWRP 2.2.0

P7510:

recovery.img
    md5: a1ce9e5b0721fd9e304dc89d19827bdc

recovery.tar.md5
    md5: ac53c3ec7bf8d946cdbfd99e56ad6d9d

TWRP-13-07-12.22-55-p4wifi-flashable.zip
    md5: 3d51a06b693eed7029f789d3cf157877

This one is untested (I don't have that tablet), if someone can test it and report back it will be nice. SCH-I905 (Verizon Tablet):

recovery.img
    md5: d0fd89fe113bc49b4ca39a9e661477a1

recovery.tar.md5
    md5: f5a3a24c52f6727d3d3bef6abe642a83

TWRP-13-07-12.22-44-p4vzw-flashable.zip
    md5: c25d2e25277356ed97fe4a20a5290b6c