[ROM] "Reaper" Revival ROM 1.0 - Eclair based Clean/Custom ROM

Search This thread

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
Very interesting thread.... not alive though anymore

I'm still impressed by the power of eclair.
When I flash eclair and combine this with link2sd (fat32)I seem to have a combination that beats the hell out of froyo (performance wise).
Even without ext1/2/3/4 filesystems and JIT eclair is superfast, no lag and also good battery life. Forget the benchmarks and look how your phone reacts to your fingers!!

Eclair easily runs 50+ (excl. system-) processes in background (check with os- monitor)without lagging and still has memory free. Froyo on the other hand only succeeds having 20-30 background processes, and when using internet browser it has to close other important processes to free memory...with lag.

I don't care about facy GUI's/theming.. I want a snappy phone with good gaming performance when I need it.

I wonder if a freaky developer wakes up to revive eclair...again....

Do you really want me to? Because I can if you want.

vleutmans

Feb 6, 2011
Are you sure? ....you have so much spare time ??? That would be great !
Eheh as married father, having three kids...and a wife..I don't have time for this stuff :)

What I did with eclair :
-removed bloatware, pre-rooted...and created new factoryfs.rfs from it.
-installed link2sd (fat32 !!) , this unleashes the power to install lots of apps.

I noticed some battery drain (caused by conservative gornernor?) though, which dissappointed me. Also battery level is inaccurate due to no 1% indication.

Only thing that needs work is the kernel.
With JK1 rom, the kernel only is stable with default cfq scheduler/conservative governor.
Any other combination (noop/deadline scheduler and on-demand governor) gives spontaneous/sporadic reboots.

So a recompiled fugumod kernel for eclair would be great. I tried fugumod 2.4beta3, but as I expected...it didn't work at all...no boot. Maybe it needs just a minor adaptation, as I think eclair can not be that different from froyo.
Maybe Marcellusbe has a minor timeslot available for helping with the kernel ?

My personal wishlist would be :
-eclair 2.1 without bloatware (easy)
-kernel thats stable with on-demand governor (1% battery ind. would be great)
-wifi tethering in the ROM (barnacle (free) works on eclair)

I can imagine what others would wish :
-ext2/3/4 support
-app2sd support
-kernel OC support
-voodoo sound
-JIT (only for the benchmarks...has no other purpose to my opinion)

and probably more stuff :)

Well if you have lots of time, just wait for the responds in this thread.
If you get many responses, this can be a good trigger to revive this old fast bastard of a ROM :)

Surely you will get a lot of attention as this ROM would stick-out of the many FROYO/CM threads in XDA !! We need something completely different these days.

deadwood01

Dec 17, 2010
Bhadravathi
Are you sure? ....you have so much spare time ??? That would be great !
Eheh as married father, having three kids...and a wife..I don't have time for this stuff :)

What I did with eclair :
-removed bloatware, pre-rooted...and created new factoryfs.rfs from it.
-installed link2sd (fat32 !!) , this unleashes the power to install lots of apps.

I noticed some battery drain (caused by conservative gornernor?) though, which dissappointed me. Also battery level is inaccurate due to no 1% indication.

Only thing that needs work is the kernel.
With JK1 rom, the kernel only is stable with default cfq scheduler/conservative governor.
Any other combination (noop/deadline scheduler and on-demand governor) gives spontaneous/sporadic reboots.

So a recompiled fugumod kernel for eclair would be great. I tried fugumod 2.4beta3, but as I expected...it didn't work at all...no boot. Maybe it needs just a minor adaptation, as I think eclair can not be that different from froyo.
Maybe Marcellusbe has a minor timeslot available for helping with the kernel ?

My personal wishlist would be :
-eclair 2.1 without bloatware (easy)
-kernel thats stable with on-demand governor (1% battery ind. would be great)
-wifi tethering in the ROM (barnacle (free) works on eclair)

I can imagine what others would wish :
-ext2/3/4 support
-app2sd support
-kernel OC support
-voodoo sound
-JIT (only for the benchmarks...has no other purpose to my opinion)

and probably more stuff :)

Well if you have lots of time, just wait for the responds in this thread.
If you get many responses, this can be a good trigger to revive this old fast bastard of a ROM :)

Surely you will get a lot of attention as this ROM would stick-out of the many FROYO/CM threads in XDA !! We need something completely different these days.
+1 on that.......:D

austin266

Nov 14, 2011
Guntur
iam gonna use the custom kernel available in the xda for ecliar
this is the link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895164

will this harm our phone

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

can anyone guide me how to add extended power menu to this ecliar edition...

this rom is so fast and awesome... it needs some more development

devs out there ., contribute ur knowledge to this ecliar rom

austin266

Nov 14, 2011
Guntur
wow... amazing rom
its super fast with basic 667mhz cpu
gangster game is running with a bit of lag and slow without white textures
can anyone help me how to overclock my cpu to 1200mhz

or the wonderful devs out there can do a fugumod/g3mod kernel for ecliar

take it as a request

jihaa

Mar 9, 2011
Budapest
is this project alive?

I came back from the grave to reply you :D

Yes and no. Personally, I left the development of this project, becuase I could not improve it any furhter by myself and experienced devs were focusing on froyo.

No, coz I made it open-source, so anybody is allowed to download/modify/redistribute it, so maybe there are also other eclair mod attempts as well.

jihaa

Mar 9, 2011
Budapest
wow... amazing rom
its super fast with basic 667mhz cpu
gangster game is running with a bit of lag and slow without white textures
can anyone help me how to overclock my cpu to 1200mhz

or the wonderful devs out there can do a fugumod/g3mod kernel for ecliar

take it as a request

Back from the grave to respond:

You can overclock it with the marcellusbe custom kernels, but only on froyo. The problem is, that there are several big differencies between froyo and eclair kernels - you would need to create a whole new zImage, resign it and then flash it (risking to brick your phone).

Froyo is better in speed, but also will drain your battery like hell, and overclocking might damage your phone by heat.

jihaa

Mar 9, 2011
Budapest
iam gonna use the custom kernel available in the xda for ecliar
this is the link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895164

will this harm our phone

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

can anyone guide me how to add extended power menu to this ecliar edition...

this rom is so fast and awesome... it needs some more development

devs out there ., contribute ur knowledge to this ecliar rom

If you want to add extended power menu, you have to modify the zImage. Ask marcellusbe about it, he might be able to help you (if he has time). I know him as the only person, who ever attempted to modify SG3 eclair kernels.

jihaa

Mar 9, 2011
Budapest
I think this is LP sense

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Correct.

Made by allo-mobile, it is the best sense ui home repl. out there for SG3.
I was not allowed to include that in the ROM 'coz it's third-party, and allo-mobile also modded Launcher Pro without auth. from dev. (double-illegal :D)

austin266

Nov 14, 2011
Guntur
@jihaa
Thanx for the reply mate
If u hav some time... plzz work on the wishlist..u mentioned in post1
If u do so... it will be more than enough

cm7 by marcellusbe
800mhz kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    picture.php

Team Revival presents:

"Reaper" Revival ROM 1.0 - Eclair based custom ROM

Official Facebook page

Team Revival is:
    - jihaa - Lead developer and theme porter
    - deskjeti - Development team member

!!Development turmoil!!

If any experienced dev. is out there watching this thread and is able to:
    - Download our stock JK1 zImage (or extract it from the .tar package)
    - Change one line in the recovery.rc part just like this:
    ------------------------------
    service recovery /sbin/recovery
    ------------------------------
    replace with
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    service recovery /system/bin/recovery
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    - Don't take the -+ signs into consideration, they are for show only
    - If this is done on v1.0 and the new zImage would be flashed on it (just the zImage), then CWM would work out of the box (no need to install it, it is already implemented in the system!

Short change log:
    - Three branches
    • Classico branch (safety focused)
    • Custom branch (performance/safety focused)
    • Reaper (extra focused - on-going development is for this)
    - Install kit added to all branches
    - Guide added to all branches

Classico branch feature list:
    - Éclair XXJK1 unbranded Samsung ROM – based
    - Deodexed (meaning: removed all unnecessary application files in system folders – shows up in much more free space on /system partition, and also you can change the themes!)
    - Pre-Rooted (meaning: you can now use all apps, which require root and also adb with su commands)
    - Cleaned from un-necessary apps (meaning: removed Samsung widgets and stock software, which cause slowdown or less space on device – if you want, you can re-add them by downloading the .apk files for Éclair, but I don’t recommend that, they were removed for a reason…)

Custom branch feature list:
    - All features of Classico branch
    - Custom HTC theme (great thanks to The Dark Lestat for that)
    - Custom boot animation (green particles – like in Kyrillos ROMs)

Reaper branch feature list:
    - All features of Custom branch
    - Live Wallpaper support for 2.1
    - Stock wallpapers replaced with HTC stock wallpapers
    - CWM recovery for 2.1 (non-autostart)
    - Updates for the HTC theme (currently popup buttons were fixed)

Pros and Cons:
    - It is Éclair, so no Froyo features for you (native App2Sd, Flash 10.1, Screen-orientation button, etc.)
    - Minor theme problems (the porting has done by me and it is not complete, hence the version number 0.7 – expect something like non-transparent status bar app list, so nothing major)
    - No heat-, excessive battery drain-, screen-, call- or app-issues – it is the safest ROM ever for your phone (oh, and also no FCs by stock – did I mention that? :p)
    - Fast even without kernel mods, Data2SD, lagfix or etc.

****​

Possible FAQ:

- Q: Why? Why would you make a custom ROM based on 2.1 if there are several 2.2 distros already?
    - A: I would because my phone had audio/battery problems with each and every one.

- Q: Why the several branches?
    - A: Because there aren’t much notable custom Eclair ROMs out there for Galaxy 3 and this way everybody will find their preferences

- Q: Why freeze a branch?
    - A: Because each will represent a certain type of value: Classico for safety, Custom for performance/safety and Reaper for action-packed hot stuff!

- Q: What about the themes? Will they be updated?
    - A: Yes. They will updated for each build after the final version has been reached (e.g. no more bugs)

- Q: Is this project frozeeen?? Nooo pleeease!
    - A: I would say it is, if you want it to. It is now transformed into a community project - so anyone has the right to edit/remove/add components and even to rename it. You just have to make your own thread and read our rules (below, green) in advance. I made it like this, because I cannot add any more feautres, because they need advanced coding skills - something which I don't have...

- Q: How can I launch CWM?
    - A: Yes, currently this is our dev. problem, you cannot launch it only from terminal emulator or adb. The commands are as follows:
    su
    /system/bin/recovery
    - CWM screen will come up, but there will be flickers, because it was launched on the top of the system layer. Nevertheless, you can use the features. ALWAYS REBOOT after launching it - you can't exit.

****​

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Reaper Branch

- Reaper 1.0

- Reaper 0.9

Custom Branch /frozen/

- Custom 0.9 - Revisited, fixed

- Custom 0.7

Classico Branch /frozen/

- Classico 0.7

Other Extras

- Prerequisites 0.7

- Guide

- Deodexed removed apps from STOCK XXJK1 //Requested download//

****​

And the Oscars go to:

- My Girlfriend, first and foremost for her patience and calmness :D

- Kyrillos for the effort in Kyrillos ROM also for theming hints
    - The Dark Lestat for the awesome HTC theme, for the effort in the Lestatious ROMs and for providing me help in making the HTC theme port for Éclair
    - arunmcops for theme porting hints on XDA
    - rudolf895 for the guide on how to make a custom ROM and also on boot animations
    - bluebeast213 for the short tutorial on how to change build names
    - deskjeti for JiT and Kernel modding how-to's
    - marcellusbe for new 2.1 compatible FuguMod (will be introduced)
    - mumbozver for the amazing Clockwork Mod recovery port and help in implementation on 2.1
    - Xevin for the no-text Cyanogen boot animation
    - Everybody on XDA forums for motivation and support!

Other credits:
    Samsung for G3, Google for Android, teh Internetz :D

Thanks for trying/using my ROM!
    Please notify me in advance if you want to mod/redistribute it! Thanks!

See you around,
    Jihaa

Disclaimer:
    Of course, as always: if your phone gets bricked during an attempt to flash / use my ROM I will refuse all accusations regarding it was done by this ROM.
    It has been properly and carefully tested and it poses no hardbrick threat to any G3.

Licensing options as of 27.06.2011:

This project is hereby declared as an open-source community project. I declare it, because I have no further knowledge on the feature implementation and I believe that the pace is slow because of this. Also, I am completely satisfied with the level of progress of Version 1.0 - therefore I found it meaningless to be in charge of this project.
    What does this mean to you? It means you are free to redistribute, re-release, modify or edit this ROM or its contents as long as you:
    1. Don't violate any licenses that are already been deployed (e.a. Samsung's)
    2. Credit all development members (included in my description)
    3. Indicate, that your modifiaction has been, in fact, based on Revival ROM
    4. Ask around if you are unsure about anything included (whose work it was for example)
    Why do I do this? I hope that this will pick this project up and maybe an another "mutated" release will include the features we all have been longing for!

Godspeed.
    Screenshots:

Attention! Several screenshots featuring the HTC Dock are made by using LP Sense UI 1.5.0.3 not TouchWiz!

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php
    wow totally new approach for those who love 2.1!
    Excellent job!
    Man, this means a lot! Thanks so much!
    Yeah, I hoped that people will recognize that alternative!

Great job man.... You started from basics. Rom should be great for people who need long battery life. Great ...:)