[Q] serious lag all of a sudden

Search This thread

notch8

Dec 5, 2007
i have been really really happy with this phone ... until recently. stock ROM. not rooted. over the past couple weeks i've been having problems where the phone dialer doesn't find a name i type in. says "unknown recipient". then i have to click the people icon and manually find the person ... the contact list take FOREVER to launch. once i do this, it works from then on for some period of time. also when i go to read a text it says loading for a LONG time. seems like the android native apps (contacts, messaging, etc ...) is having some problems. not sure, but all this seems to be happening since installing the last OTA update.

A restart of the phone fixes the problem but only for a short period of time. any help would be appreciated.

notch8

Dec 5, 2007
thanks for both replies ... i was afraid of getting each of those responses. it takes me hours to wipe and reset everything up. my last phone was the photon which i had rooted but i really don't want to keep trying to keep up with the OTAs. dang ... guess i have to do something

3vodroid

Aug 20, 2012
Ocean city
I'm rooted running meanrom4.4 the built in ota updater makes things really easy if you don't want to have to keep up with the new rom versions. You just download right on your phone like you would... An ota :)

Sent from my AT100 using xda app-developers app

EdhyMonker

Jun 14, 2011
The phones performance between stock and rooted MeanRom 4.4 is like night and day. HTC should be embarrassed for the way the phone runs in stock condition, it really boggles the mind given its hardware.

Reactions: dreammaker23

wolfeyes30

thanks for both replies ... i was afraid of getting each of those responses. it takes me hours to wipe and reset everything up. my last phone was the photon which i had rooted but i really don't want to keep trying to keep up with the OTAs. dang ... guess i have to do something

Its really not too long of a process with the right tools. Backup apps like Titanium Backup, My Root Backup or this newer one im been using, App2zip. I use to be like you. Spent why too long setting things back up. Now i use App2zip for my user apps and flash right after i flash a new rom. Upon bootup, all my apps are there. Not recommend to do with System apps..hint hint.

I bought the Galaxy S3 two months after the EVO. EVO was driving me nuts. I kept the EVO anyway. Can never have too many devices, right? :)

Running Mean 4.4 rom now and its like night and day from the first two months with the EVO. New advancements from Zep with multitasking and all the incredible work from all the devs in the community, im enjoying the EVO now.

S3 for sale... Just kidding.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
This latest update fixed google wallet but looks to have made all of the google apps buggy in the process. Hopefully they'll push an update to fix it soon, but in the meantime rebooting the phone when it acts up will help temporarily.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
+1 for mean rom, I don't think I could go back. Part of the reason I like it besides the obvious fact that the phone runs way better the ota updater is fantastic this is the first rom I have used that has had it and probably won't go back to a rom without it. I actually have an update downloading in the background now. You deffinty should hard reset and since you have to do that anyway might as well root.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Reactions: dreammaker23

phsteve

Sep 7, 2010
Brooklyn
I was about to start a thread for the exact same problem! I too have been hesitant to root my phone out of simple laziness... Maybe I'll shoot an email to HTC and see what they say. Definitely related to the latest OTA though.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Jan 14, 2011
I have had the same issue since the last OTA update, and have tried a few things with limited success. I've tried removing all contacts, and resynching, backing up and clearing the data from the messaging app, soft and hard resets.

Of everything, the soft reset seems to have cut down how often I get this bug. Interestingly, my brothers phone has about the same frequency of the issue, but neither of my parents phones have the problem.

phsteve

Sep 7, 2010
Brooklyn
So HTC responded and said to try rebooting into "Safe Mode" and if that doesn't work to perform a factory reset. Here's the email:

If you have backed up your information and cleared the data from Phone, Messages, Contact Storage, and Dialer Storage, but you still have this issue, I would then recommend that you test your Evo 4G LTE in safe mode. This will disable third party apps and processes from launching when the phone is powered on. You will still be able to make and receive calls, text messages, email, and use the internet.

To put your Evo 4G LTE into Safe Mode, use the following steps. Be patient with these steps, you may not get it into Safe Mode on the first attempt.

Go into settings>power and uncheck Fastboot, then power off your phone.
With the phone powered off, press the Power key on your device.
When you see the first load screen, press & hold Volume Down key until OS loads.
"Safe Mode" text will appear on the lower left of screen to advise that you are in safe mode,to get out of safe mode just restart the phone.

If you can access these apps fine in safe mode, this would indicate some kind of conflict or interference from a third party application. You would need to rule them out by uninstalling the apps until you find that the phone is working normally again.

If the issue persists in safe mode, I would then recommend that you back up your data and perform a factory reset. If you would like assistance with backing up your data, please let me know and I will walk you through this process. The reset will restore the phone to a "like new" state. All personal data such as emails, text messages, internet bookmarks, photos, videos, music, documents, settings, call history, market apps, and any contacts and calendar entries that have not been backed up to a PC or server will be erased. Data on the SD card is not affected by the reset.

To reset your Evo 4G LTE, use the following method :
***If you use Google Wallet, please perform these steps before you perform the reset***
-Open Google Wallet application
-Tap on Menu
-Tap on Settings
-Tap on Reset Google Wallet

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Down button. While continuing to hold this, press and release the Power Button.
2. When the factory reset menu appears, then release the Volume Down button.
3. Use the Volume Down button again to highlight FACTORY RESET, and then press the Power Button to select it.

I hope that these steps help you to gain access to these apps properly again, Stephen, and I hope you have a great day!

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Im going to have to disagree with people and say, being stock along with all the updates have really improved my experience with sense 4. I've owned this phone since launch and really hated its performance. I eventually sold it and got a GS3 for 2 months and now I eventually want Galaxy Note 2. Anyways I sold the GS3 in a attempt to raise money for the note 2 but came across a great deal on a stock white Evo, which i now own. Let me tell you. This baby is silky smooth in stock form, much better than anything I've been flashing.

notch8

Dec 5, 2007
here's what HTC told me to do ... it may have made some improvement ... time will tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's definitely no fun when your phone stops working as expected, and I'll be glad to help you get your phone back in working order! To best assist you I'll need to know what phone you have, but from your description it appears you have an Android powered phone. With this is mind I believe that we should try wiping the phone's cache partition. For your convenience I've attached a document that details how to perform the wipe. This does not delete any critical data from your phone like contacts, so you don't have to worry about losing any data. If this does not correct the concern please let me know, and also include the serial number for your phone so we can research the situation more deeply. Thank you for being a member of the HTC community, and I hope you have a wonderful afternoon!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Joseph

HTC

phsteve

Sep 7, 2010
Brooklyn
It appears that clearing caches/app data doesn't help with the problem, but rebooting into safe mode (press and hold vol down during the splash screen) does fix it. I believe this means that there is a 3rd party app causing the problem. Now to start uninstalling apps till the problem fixes itself. Ugh. Considering the problem doesn't occur half the time this will be a difficult process... Anybody have any suggestions on how to quickly figure out which app is causing this aside from uninstalling them one by one?

bantzt

Jun 12, 2011
Shelbyville
Check for cpu hogs

It sounds like u may have a cpu hog or a poorly written app. U might be able to tell what it is by checking your battery usage. Setting ngs/battery/battery usage

Biggest usage should be screen and android system ect.

If not, there may be a some apps to check that for u.

but if it comes to it, after the factory reset, start with the necessary apps, stock plus Google apps. After that do ur widgets, wait a few hours, add a few more, and wait.

This way u can limit new processes and boil it down to a few.

Good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root it. Trust me and everyone else in this community.

Root it.. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Root it. Trust me and everyone else in this community.

Root it.. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

One of us...one of us....one of us
    The phones performance between stock and rooted MeanRom 4.4 is like night and day. HTC should be embarrassed for the way the phone runs in stock condition, it really boggles the mind given its hardware.
    +1 for mean rom, I don't think I could go back. Part of the reason I like it besides the obvious fact that the phone runs way better the ota updater is fantastic this is the first rom I have used that has had it and probably won't go back to a rom without it. I actually have an update downloading in the background now. You deffinty should hard reset and since you have to do that anyway might as well root.