EFIDroid for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Note Edge (Snapdragon Variants)

Search This thread

abraha2d

May 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
i9100
Verizon LG G2
I have ported EFIDroid (developed by @m11kkaa) to the Snapdragon variants of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Note Edge.
@m11kkaa's original EFIDroid thread here: https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/efidroid-t3447466.

This is an unofficial port of beta software. I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your device. Use at your own risk.

Note: This has been tested with Samsung stock ROM, EmotionOS 7.1.1, and TWRP 3.0.2-0 on an SM-N910V/trltevzw. All other configurations are untested by me, but should work.

Confirmed working on:
- SM-N910V (trltevzw) (my device)
- SM-N910T (trltetmo) (thanks @viewsfromthepi)
- SM-N910G (trltedt) (thanks @Preet Juneja)
- SM-N910P (trltespr) (thanks @carlosggb)
- SM-N910W8 (trltecan) (thanks @d3multimedia)
- SM-N910F (trltexx) (thanks @cod_r) (possibly some issues with multiboot)
- SM-N915FY (tbltebtu) (thanks @jpearn)
- SM-N915F (tbltexx) (thanks @Juank2007)

I believe this works on all Snapdragon variants. If you're willing to test a variant not listed above, follow the instructions below, and post below if you had success, or if you encountered any issues.

Warning: There have been reports of the app failing to backup the boot/recovery partitions on other devices, leaving the device unable to boot to the OS and/or recovery. I have no way of testing whether this happens on the Note 4, so be ready with a working recovery/boot img on your computer...

I believe this issue does not affect the Note 4, as there have been successful installs with the app. However, I am leaving the related info on how to recover below, just in case this happens to one of you.

Installation

1. Install the attached EFIDroid Manager apk. Since this is an unofficial port, the EFIDroid Manager app from the Play Store won't work.
  2. Open the EFIDroid Manager app, open the menu (at the top left), and click "Install/Update".
  3. Click the big orange Install button.
And voila, you're done in 3 easy steps! Reboot to see your new 2nd-stage bootloader!
Post below with your variant/installed ROM if you have success.

To update EFIDroid, just repeat step 2, and the click the big orange Update button.
The app won't automatically check for updates, so I'll post an announcement on this thread whenever an important update is available.

Multibooting

You can use EFIDroid as a multiboot manager. To add a multiboot ROM, do the following:
  1. Open the EFIDroid Manager app. Press the plus button at the bottom right side of the screen to start adding a multiboot slot.
  2. Under "Location", there should be a couple paths. Select the one containing "/data/media/0" if you want the new slot to reside on the internal SD card (recommended for speed). Select the one containing "/mnt/media_rw/" if you want the new slot to reside on the external SD card.
  3. You can give the slot a name/description by using the appropriate fields.
  4. Press the checkmark at the top right side of the screen to create the multiboot slot.
  5. Reboot. When EFIDroid comes up, select TWRP, then select the newly created slot.
  6. Go to the "Wipe > Advanced Wipe" menu. Select "System", then swipe to wipe.
  7. Install all the zips you want on that slot.
  8. Reboot, and when EFIDroid comes up, your new slot should automatically be selected. Press the power button to boot, and enjoy!

Migrating from Dual Boot Patcher

Coming soon!

Troubleshooting

If you are unable to boot the OS/recovery from EFIDroid, do the following (you do have a working boot.img and recovery.img, right?)
This assumes you have fastboot properly setup.
  1. In EFIDroid, use the volume keys to navigate to "Fastboot", the press the power key to select it.
  2. There should only be one entry in the Fastboot menu. Press the power key to select it.
  3. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable. Run the following (on the computer), one line at a time:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot <path/to/boot.img>
    fastboot flash recovery <path/to/recovery.img>
    fastboot oem exit
  4. In EFIDroid, use the volume keys to navigate to the back button at the top of the screen. Press the power key to select.
  5. Use the volume keys to navigate to "Reboot", then press the power key to select.
  6. If Maintenance Mode comes up, press the home button to reboot.
You should be able to boot the installed OS/recovery now. If this doesn't work, you can always Odin a TWRP tar, and then flash your original boot.img from inside TWRP, to get back up and running again.

Known Bugs

1. Aroma installers in TWRP may flicker, rendering them unusable.

Again, all credit goes to @m11kkaa for doing all the hard work in developing EFIDroid.

XDA:DevDB Information
EFIDroid, Kernel for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Contributors
abraha2d, m11kkaa
Source Code: https://github.com/efidroid

Kernel Special Features: UEFI, MultiBoot

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.1
Beta Release Date: 2017-03-18

Created 2017-03-19
Last Updated 2017-07-03

Last edited:

abraha2d

May 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
i9100
Verizon LG G2
I have the Sprint model. Is it safe to try?
Anyone try this yet.?

I believe the Sprint variant is similar enough hardware-wise to the Verizon variant.

As with everything, make sure you backup, and store the backup somewhere other than your phone.

That being said, I believe there are no risks, other than possibly an hour or so of downtime (if something goes wrong with the installation). Since EFIDroid only modifies the boot and recovery partitions, if something goes wrong, you can always flash TWRP via Odin, and then in TWRP flash the boot.img from whichever ROM you're currently running to get back up and running.

If you're willing to wait, I have a friend who has volunteered to test this out on his Sprint variant in a week or two (when he gets his daily driver back).

Neuken69

Mar 14, 2017
There is my error now ... what boot and recovery img are you talking about??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-19-16-46-14.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-19-16-46-14.png
    116 KB · Views: 1,521
Reactions: rbeavers

Neuken69

Mar 14, 2017
Trying clearing the data of the EFIDroid Manager app.

Same error

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

im runnng aurora ROM now and i swap between that and Noble ROM not sure if that plays into the error

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

im runnng aurora ROM now and i swap between that and Noble ROM not sure if that plays into the error

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

If you have devices.json in that folder and your running a n910v ... can you share that file?

abraha2d

May 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
i9100
Verizon LG G2
Same error

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

If you have devices.json in that folder and your running a n910v ... can you share that file?

Is Noble ROM or Aurora ROM a Note 5/7 port? Because that may be the issue. The app might be getting confused.
I have another user who's having the same issue, with a Note 7 port ROM... I'll have to debug on my end, and see what the problem is... The app is supposed to be downloading that file from the OTA server...

Kawalpreet Juneja

May 6, 2014
Bhopal
Is Noble ROM or Aurora ROM a Note 5/7 port? Because that may be the issue. The app might be getting confused.
I have another user who's having the same issue, with a Note 7 port ROM... I'll have to debug on my end, and see what the problem is... The app is supposed to be downloading that file from the OTA server...

Being on Note 7 port, as you said I've changed product code.
I'm really sorry that I can't test right now by flashing stock firmware but I promise I'll do it sooner.
If anybody else is on stock, please report!

abraha2d

May 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
i9100
Verizon LG G2
Same error

Being on Note 7 port, as you said I've changed product code.
I'm really sorry that I can't test right now by flashing stock firmware but I promise I'll do it sooner.
If anybody else is on stock, please report!

Guys, can you install the attached debug apk, clear data, grant storage permission, and then try again? If it still errors, can you send me a logcat?
@Preet Juneja There's a way to get logcat without a computer, using the Matlog app from the Play Store. See this for details:
https://www.xda-developers.com/guide-sending-a-logcat-to-help-debug-your-favorite-app/
You don't need to do the adb part if you're rooted...

Kawalpreet Juneja

May 6, 2014
Bhopal
Guys, can you install the attached debug apk, clear data, grant storage permission, and then try again? If it still errors, can you send me a logcat?

@Preet Juneja There's a way to get logcat without a computer, using the Matlog app from the Play Store. See this for details:
https://www.xda-developers.com/guide-sending-a-logcat-to-help-debug-your-favorite-app/
You don't need to do the adb part if you're rooted...

All logs related to EFIDroid attached:

Attachments

• 2017-03-20-04-45-50.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 68

Kawalpreet Juneja

May 6, 2014
Bhopal
Did you put anything into the "Override OTA Server" dialog? From the logs, either there's something wrong with the app, or you put "samsung/trltevzw" into the dialog...

Oh. I put it when I didn't edit build.prop (when it was Noblelte). I already tried clearing data due to which it should've removed. Well if it didn't, how can I remove it?
I'm sure it's problem from my side and not yours... it's all because I'm using custom ROM.

UPDATE:
YES IT OPENED!
I emptied that override OTA server and the app finally asked for Root access!
Thank you so much, I'll sooner report what will be the next.

abraha2d

May 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
i9100
Verizon LG G2
Oh. I put it when I didn't edit build.prop (when it was Noblelte). I already tried clearing data due to which it should've removed. Well if it didn't, how can I remove it?
I'm sure it's problem from my side and not yours... it's all because I'm using custom ROM.

No problem, it should probably be clearer. That dialog is for entering a different URL for the OTA server, not a different device codename. Just remove what's in there, and press Ok. That will clear it. :good:

EDIT: Just saw your edit. Nice to hear it's working.

Kawalpreet Juneja

May 6, 2014
Bhopal

Just reboot your device to see changes!

Perfectly working, please add N910G support as 'confirmed' in 1st post.
Also, you can add instructions for custom ROM user to edit build.prop as required.
I was able to boot into TWRP and ROM without use of fastboot.

Attachments

• IMG_20170320_055259.jpg
    IMG_20170320_055259.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

aaron74

Nov 26, 2014
Somewhere, Ohio
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
I believe the Sprint variant is similar enough hardware-wise to the Verizon variant.

As with everything, make sure you backup, and store the backup somewhere other than your phone.

That being said, I believe there are no risks, other than possibly an hour or so of downtime (if something goes wrong with the installation). Since EFIDroid only modifies the boot and recovery partitions, if something goes wrong, you can always flash TWRP via Odin, and then in TWRP flash the boot.img from whichever ROM you're currently running to get back up and running.

If you're willing to wait, I have a friend who has volunteered to test this out on his Sprint variant in a week or two (when he gets his daily driver back).
Thanks! So this allows you to dual boot 2 different roms?
One is primary installed as normal, i take. Now the second one, how is it installed? How is it saved?
Thank you. I'm just curious. This sounds convenient to have your daily driver as primary, and be able to test other roms without constantly backing up and restoring. Am i correct in thinking this way? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have ported EFIDroid (developed by @m11kkaa) to the Snapdragon variants of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Note Edge.
    @m11kkaa's original EFIDroid thread here: https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/efidroid-t3447466.

This is an unofficial port of beta software. I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your device. Use at your own risk.

Note: This has been tested with Samsung stock ROM, EmotionOS 7.1.1, and TWRP 3.0.2-0 on an SM-N910V/trltevzw. All other configurations are untested by me, but should work.

Confirmed working on:
    - SM-N910V (trltevzw) (my device)
    - SM-N910T (trltetmo) (thanks @viewsfromthepi)
    - SM-N910G (trltedt) (thanks @Preet Juneja)
    - SM-N910P (trltespr) (thanks @carlosggb)
    - SM-N910W8 (trltecan) (thanks @d3multimedia)
    - SM-N910F (trltexx) (thanks @cod_r) (possibly some issues with multiboot)
    - SM-N915FY (tbltebtu) (thanks @jpearn)
    - SM-N915F (tbltexx) (thanks @Juank2007)

I believe this works on all Snapdragon variants. If you're willing to test a variant not listed above, follow the instructions below, and post below if you had success, or if you encountered any issues.

Warning: There have been reports of the app failing to backup the boot/recovery partitions on other devices, leaving the device unable to boot to the OS and/or recovery. I have no way of testing whether this happens on the Note 4, so be ready with a working recovery/boot img on your computer...

I believe this issue does not affect the Note 4, as there have been successful installs with the app. However, I am leaving the related info on how to recover below, just in case this happens to one of you.

Installation

1. Install the attached EFIDroid Manager apk. Since this is an unofficial port, the EFIDroid Manager app from the Play Store won't work.
    2. Open the EFIDroid Manager app, open the menu (at the top left), and click "Install/Update".
    3. Click the big orange Install button.
    And voila, you're done in 3 easy steps! Reboot to see your new 2nd-stage bootloader!
    Post below with your variant/installed ROM if you have success.

To update EFIDroid, just repeat step 2, and the click the big orange Update button.
    The app won't automatically check for updates, so I'll post an announcement on this thread whenever an important update is available.

Multibooting

You can use EFIDroid as a multiboot manager. To add a multiboot ROM, do the following:
    1. Open the EFIDroid Manager app. Press the plus button at the bottom right side of the screen to start adding a multiboot slot.
    2. Under "Location", there should be a couple paths. Select the one containing "/data/media/0" if you want the new slot to reside on the internal SD card (recommended for speed). Select the one containing "/mnt/media_rw/" if you want the new slot to reside on the external SD card.
    3. You can give the slot a name/description by using the appropriate fields.
    4. Press the checkmark at the top right side of the screen to create the multiboot slot.
    5. Reboot. When EFIDroid comes up, select TWRP, then select the newly created slot.
    6. Go to the "Wipe > Advanced Wipe" menu. Select "System", then swipe to wipe.
    7. Install all the zips you want on that slot.
    8. Reboot, and when EFIDroid comes up, your new slot should automatically be selected. Press the power button to boot, and enjoy!

Migrating from Dual Boot Patcher

Coming soon!

Troubleshooting

If you are unable to boot the OS/recovery from EFIDroid, do the following (you do have a working boot.img and recovery.img, right?)
    This assumes you have fastboot properly setup.
    1. In EFIDroid, use the volume keys to navigate to "Fastboot", the press the power key to select it.
    2. There should only be one entry in the Fastboot menu. Press the power key to select it.
    3. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable. Run the following (on the computer), one line at a time:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <path/to/boot.img>
      fastboot flash recovery <path/to/recovery.img>
      fastboot oem exit
    4. In EFIDroid, use the volume keys to navigate to the back button at the top of the screen. Press the power key to select.
    5. Use the volume keys to navigate to "Reboot", then press the power key to select.
    6. If Maintenance Mode comes up, press the home button to reboot.
    You should be able to boot the installed OS/recovery now. If this doesn't work, you can always Odin a TWRP tar, and then flash your original boot.img from inside TWRP, to get back up and running again.

Known Bugs

1. Aroma installers in TWRP may flicker, rendering them unusable.

Again, all credit goes to @m11kkaa for doing all the hard work in developing EFIDroid.

XDA:DevDB Information
    EFIDroid, Kernel for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Contributors
    abraha2d, m11kkaa
    Source Code: https://github.com/efidroid

Kernel Special Features: UEFI, MultiBoot

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.1
    Beta Release Date: 2017-03-18

Created 2017-03-19
    Last Updated 2017-07-03
    Official Status!

Guys, good news! This port of EFIDroid has gained official status! The Note 4 will be included in the list of devices supported by the next official build.

I am not in control of the official builds, @m11kkaa is. Once he releases the next official build, you will be able to use the official EFIDroid Manager app from the Play Store to install/update official builds. I will release an announcement when that happens.

You will always be able to use my unofficial app to install my unofficial builds. I'll release new builds whenever a non-trivial change is made in the EFIDroid source code.
    Major update

Hey guys,

I've made some infrastructure changes which require some additional steps from your side to update. I've renamed the EFIDroid code name for the Note 4 from trltevzw to trlte, to better reflect the scope of this port (and possibly get this device as officially supported). I've also (partially) moved from hosting releases on my personal server, to hosting on GitHub.

Please update to the latest version by following these steps:
    1. Clear the data of the EFIDroid Manager app. (Settings > Apps > EFIDroid Manager > Storage > Clear Data).
    2. Open the EFIDroid Manager app, and navigate to "Install/Update".
    3. Hit the orange "Install" button.
    This should bring you up to speed with the latest version of EFIDroid (03/25).

I will be releasing an updated version of the app soon, to complete the transition to GitHub hosting.
    Thanks! So this allows you to dual boot 2 different roms?
    One is primary installed as normal, i take. Now the second one, how is it installed? How is it saved?
    Thank you. I'm just curious. This sounds convenient to have your daily driver as primary, and be able to test other roms without constantly backing up and restoring. Am i correct in thinking this way? :)

EFIDroid allows you to boot as many different ROMs as you want. You're only limited by the space on your phone.
    The secondary ROMs can either be stored on the internal SD card (emulated on the data partition in our case), or external SD card. I wouldn't recommend the external SD though, as it is usually slower than the internal SD.

To install a secondary ROM, use the EFIDroid Manager to create a new OS slot (the plus button at the bottom right of the main screen). Then, reboot, and when EFIDroid shows up, select TWRP, and then select the newly created OS slot. Wipe the system partition in TWRP (to initialize it), and then install whatever ROM/Gapps zip you want.

EDIT: If you're using Dual Boot Patcher currently, there's a slightly involved method to migrate your setup to EFIDroid without loss of data. If anyone's interested, I might put up a how to.
    Are you also not able to get a logcat? Seems to be some issue with F variant devices...
    It's kinda hard to debug without knowing what's going wrong...
    @cod_r, @goolby, @abraha2d,
    It is working for me and my device is N910F.
    I am using Dr Ketan ROM M12 by @dr.ketan as my primary.
    I have used EmotionOS dated March 20, 2017 by @hsbadr as my secondary.
    I have also used UNOFFICIAL LineageOS 14.1 by @jef_00 as my secondary.
    I've got no issue at all...
    EFIDroid for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Snapdragon Variants is working like a charm on my Samsung Note 4 N910F
    Thanks so very highly much @abraha2d :good: :good: :good: