[Solved] Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server

Search This thread

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this bug...

When i try to Add a Google Account it gives me this error message.

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server"

attachment.php

The error is misleading as it has nothing to do with connections, i tried on 3G/H and WiFi, and simply because the phone sync just fine all the other google accounts in the phone, and can download/upload stuff without any connection error, Android Market and Apps Brain works fine as well.

before it was working fine i was able to add like 5+ accounts in there, i were able to delete and re-add accounts, but the last few days it has been unable to do that, due that error message.

but if i add the same account that worked, or those that failed on another SGS factory reset, then it works fine.

problem is.... i don't really want to re-install my 200+ apps in the phone....

I already tried wipe-ing the caches, it didn't help.

Any body else got a clue what else we can delete to reset the google accounts in the phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Komeyl_zero

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
Never had this problem but you can try to go to Settings> Applications > Manage Apps and find those from google and press clear cache and clear data

Logicalstep

Jul 28, 2007
Got the same problem...even tried a factory reset and it still won't let me sign into my google account on the market.

Doing my head in now.

Logicalstep

psychedelic'd

Jun 25, 2010
I had that issue when I first tried to setup my account. I took out the SIM and just used WIFI to sign in and it worked.

Or you can try this:
1. adb remount
2. adb shell
3. su
4. rm /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

I believe the above method will reset your home screens or something, so use at your own discretion. Details can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3477

Reactions: ZaeemRaza

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
ahh no, what that does is deletes

settings.db
from
com.android.providers.settings

it might work, but that will sucks as i'll have to reconfigure all the accounts again, doing that will delete all the accounts that are currently working.

hondaguy

Mar 2, 2006
toronto
the only time i had that issue i solved it by making sure that background data and auto-sync were checked in the general sync settings. without them being checked i could not add an account over wifi or cellular data. as soon as i checked those boxes i was back to normal

Reactions: bagre

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
all my 7 other accounts are checked to sync everything

i'm trying to add a new account but it's giving me that weird error

even if delete an exisiting working account and try to re-add it back, then it gives me the same error

it definitely might have to do with the settings file getting corrupted or something

tempest2112

Aug 25, 2007
Manchester
Have had the same problem and exact same messgae yesterday after I wiped my device. It wasnt until evening that I was able to log into my Google account and that was after doing another wipe form the phone settings instead of doing through the 3 button reset. Eveything works fine now but still can't understand why this happened.

maick

May 23, 2009
I had the same problem yesterday, wiped using the 3 button and problem persisted. Wiped from device and now it works ;D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

t0ska

Apr 17, 2008
Bournemouth
Same problem for me. I am trying to add a Google apps account and get this message.

Planning a full wipe with froyo so will try a device wipe instead of a Recovery Wipe

cheers

Tom

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
found the source of the problem

this will work fine as long as you DO NOT INSTALL the Samsung Push Email & IM from Samsung Apps

just recently i had to format my phone twice for software bugs when testing out new features in newly installed software

and both times i was able to add any amount of Gmail accounts i wanted into the phone, until i install the Samsung Push Email & IM, as soon as i do that, i lose the funtionality to add more gmail accounts into the phone.

The solution it's obvious, don't install Samsung Push Email & IM... if you want o be able to have the full feature gmail account added to the phone.

it's sad, as the Samsung Push Email & IM works really really good for IM and multi email accounts and you get it right as they arrive to gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.

now i'm looking for 3rd party email and IM programs to replace Samsung Push Email & IM

i'll most likely go back to Fring and K9 until i can find something better

Last edited:

wagenbach

Sep 8, 2010
Same thing happened to me....but i found that of you add your account through YouTube and sync through there, it works. Weird but simple work around for me. Hope it helps.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

wagenbach

Sep 8, 2010
I had two gmail accounts synced. I deleted one by accident, and when I tried to re-add my gmail account under gmail or settings (under accounts and sync) it would hang and give me the same error message as you. It wouldn't connect to Google even though my connection was fine. I did some research, and apparently it's not an uncommon problem. The workaround that exits is to register your Google account through your YouTube app, after which your gmail for that account will be synced now. Try it, it worked for me.

sircaper

Oct 3, 2010
I had two gmail accounts synced. I deleted one by accident, and when I tried to re-add my gmail account under gmail or settings (under accounts and sync) it would hang and give me the same error message as you. It wouldn't connect to Google even though my connection was fine. I did some research, and apparently it's not an uncommon problem. The workaround that exits is to register your Google account through your YouTube app, after which your gmail for that account will be synced now. Try it, it worked for me.

Can you explain what you mean by the bolded part? There isn't an option to register in the youtube app, at least not that I saw....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Culprit : Adaway

This is a little tricky. I think in your case its a rooted phone and the culprit is adaway . Let me explain about adaway .

An ad blocker that uses the hosts file. The hosts file contains a list of mappings between hostnames and IP addresses. When an app requests an ad, that request is directed to 127.0.0.1 which does nothing. There are options to run a web server to respond to blocked hostnames and to direct requests to the IP address of your choosing. You can download hosts files from the app but it is possible to use your own and to add certain sites to the white- and black-lists. So guys this is what an adaway does .

Coming to your question , adaway has made some changes to your phone which prevents the ad and the gmail syncing and all those google id dependant apps . So eventhough you deleted the app , the changes that the adaway made, remains to do its work .

Install adaway once more ---> download the host files( for blocking the ads) and reboot . Check whether gmail is syncing now .
    If its not ,disable adblocking and check once more . You will surely see gmail syncing now. :D
    to fix this problem,here is the solution

1.open any root file explorer

2.navigate it to /data/system/

3.delete accounts.db

4.reboot phone

5.after boot immediately add your account

6.done! :)

Skilledfire: I had a similar problem with an HTC G1recently. More likely, you don't have an available connection either on Wi-Fi or carrier network. I solved it by APN configuration. Seems you lost it when you performed a factory reset. APN configuration options must appear when selecting menu, right there, where you're trying to login. You must Google the right configurations for your carrier first. Then, you place 'em there, save, and you must be able to sign in to your account now

Sent from my HUAWEI G730-U251 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Ok, Skilledfire: So I must assume you've managed to sign in to your account by means of who knows what... If so, and you are tired enough to find yourself in strange lands and keep on trying to edit the dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking host file, then perhaps time has come to download and install AdAway. It'll do that for you, PLUS (a big one), it will also take annoying ads... away!

By the way: using the "thanks" button when somebody helps, is a much appreciated, nice and easy thing to do. It's also a good guide to know who is being useful to others. Please?

Sent from my HUAWEI G730-U251 using XDA Free mobile app
    I had that issue when I first tried to setup my account. I took out the SIM and just used WIFI to sign in and it worked.

Or you can try this:
    1. adb remount
    2. adb shell
    3. su
    4. rm /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

I believe the above method will reset your home screens or something, so use at your own discretion. Details can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3477