Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread
But 2.3.4 is allmost a year old^^

Yes it is.... and that is how slow Verizon is..... they suck at OTA's. They are probably only doing this update because ,I am hoping, Sony got on their ass for not at least making it 2.3.4. And i have a feeling this next update will make the R800x work with the PS store. I am also thinking that next weeks announcement will be that playstation certified devices in the US can access PSN & store, which if this does happen Verizon will need to update xperia plays to the compatible firmware. So in my opnion VZ is doing the bear minimum to get by. But again we will have to wait and see, these are just my thoughts

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Yes it is.... and that is how slow Verizon is..... they suck at OTA's. They are probably only doing this update because ,I am hoping, Sony got on their ass for not at least making it 2.3.4. And i have a feeling this next update will make the R800x work with the PS store. I am also thinking that next weeks announcement will be that playstation certified devices in the US can access PSN & store, which if this does happen Verizon will need to update xperia plays to the compatible firmware. So in my opnion VZ is doing the bear minimum to get by. But again we will have to wait and see, these are just my thoughts

I believe you are likely completely right. Sony probably went to Verizon and said we are not pissing off our customers because you suck, put 2.3.4 on there so our PS Store works.

I believe you are likely completely right. Sony probably went to Verizon and said we are not pissing off our customers because you suck, put 2.3.4 on there so our PS Store works.

Its too bad its not ICS. In the begining I was thinking it would be ICS. And the reason for that is because R800x is Vanilla Android instead of Timescape skinned. Whihc would make porting ICS much easier to r800x then the other Xplays. Look at how easy it is for CM9 to be ported while OCS Sony beta is having a nightmare of a time with getting a modded CDMA patch.

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Its too bad its not ICS. In the begining I was thinking it would be ICS. And the reason for that is because R800x is Vanilla Android instead of Timescape skinned. Whihc would make porting ICS much easier to r800x then the other Xplays. Look at how easy it is for CM9 to be ported while OCS Sony beta is having a nightmare of a time with getting a modded CDMA patch.

It's because of framework differences between AospICS & SonyICS. If we get Vanilla ICS, it'll be just as hard to port SonyICS (Kinda like how we've never gotten any of the 2.3.4 ported because the framework changed)

Pax

It's because of framework differences between AospICS & SonyICS. If we get Vanilla ICS, it'll be just as hard to port SonyICS (Kinda like how we've never gotten any of the 2.3.4 ported because the framework changed)

Pax

huh, dont knwo why that didnt light bulb on me before...... good point. You got brains....

Insane PPC

Aug 18, 2008
Granite Falls, NC
well so now all i can hope is it is at least 2.3.4, please so i can get some new features...probably just eat the cost to get boot loader unlocked and be done with it all

agraceful

Mar 29, 2011
Verizon doesn't test ANY firmware. It's all Sony. So it has nothing to do with verizon being horrible at OTA's (which they are) but Sony has already said NO ICS WILL BE AN OTA. So it won't be ics, ics will hit in summer. Verzion just makes it VERY difficult for companies that's all lol. And being that the playstation crap for devs is already available from ps it won't be verizon pushing it because there is no "general public" version, just for developers. It will more then likely be 2.3.4 until ics hits. There is already a beta for ics for cdma users just not in the wild

Verizon doesn't test ANY firmware. It's all Sony. So it has nothing to do with verizon being horrible at OTA's (which they are) but Sony has already said NO ICS WILL BE AN OTA. So it won't be ics, ics will hit in summer. Verzion just makes it VERY difficult for companies that's all lol. And being that the playstation crap for devs is already available from ps it won't be verizon pushing it because there is no "general public" version, just for developers. It will more then likely be 2.3.4 until ics hits. There is already a beta for ics for cdma users just not in the wild

On the ICS for CDMA, just wondering where you heard that from? Also as Verizon bootloaders cannot be unlocked via Sony's website, other then going through the usual XDA members to unlock BL how would a CDMA ICS beta be flashed? Just some thoughts...

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Verizon is the number one reason their phones arent always running the latest firmwares. It was kinda clear from the info posted that this wouldn't be ICS IMO (which my opinion usually doesn't mean anything anyway ;) ) If you look at all of the models they carry that are not "supposed" to get ICS, that have "better specs" then our Plays, it was clear to me .... and Verizon didnt care much about the Xperia Play either though, they were to busy selling iphones , and if you look at their sales, they have sold more iphones in recent quarters then all of their android models combined (but could be due to the fact that they didnt carry the iphone before anyway, random I know). I would hope they drop 2.3.4 on the Play, it would be long over due and still partly outdated (like most of their updates) I for one dont care if they officially make 2.3.4 though, I would much rather have a newer baseband that worked with the Uk 2.3.4 systems because (and here comes another IMO) but screw Verizon firmware. . .

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?