Bought 4 Cases (Seidio, Body Glove, Ballistics, Boxwave): Here is my 8 cents!

Search This thread

frozenfyre

May 19, 2007
Hello everyone,

Ive been looking through this accessory thread ever since I owned my note 2 trying desperately to get rid of the crappy Body Glove case I was "borrowing" from Tmobile. Well, my three other cases came today, and after testing them all, I will tell you what I settled with.

First things first:

The Body Glove: I don't have any pictures of this crappy case, but you don't need any. Apparently I found out today after returning my version of the BG that they have OTHER styles which are far superior then the one that I had. But probably still pretty bad. This is the beginners case that you settle on if you have no idea how to surf the WWW. Obviously if you are reading this, you would never settle for this case, especially at the outrageous $30+ price tag.

Now for the 3 puppies that arrived today. I purchased these all on amazon.com.

The Seidio Active Case:
My initial thoughts are that this would be the case I would be settling with, especially after the youtube reviews... But after putting it on, and upon comparison, I realized that this case offers minimal protection as far as a drop would be concerned. It feels extremely cheap with the white plastic, and I had no idea that this is what I was purchasing. Not only that, but it has the same issue as the body glove - Slippery bastard. Sure the sides are rubber, but its an extremely soft smooth rubber that doesnt "Stick" if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty nice looking case, and I like the kickstand...but it's not for me. They also have other very vivid colors. As far as price goes, this case is a rip off at $30.35. Almost as bad as the body glove, but slightly cheaper and prettier.

The Ballistics Case:
This is the case that I read reviews about and heard is supposed to offer some of the best protection outside of Otterbox Defender case. Not to mention it looks good. Well, I opened this bad boy up, and noticed a few things right away. The rubber shell is not snug at all. When you snap on the plastic, it gets a little more snug, but I guarantee this case will fall apart everytime you drop your phone. This already had me worried. Another issue is the damn sides of the case. ITS CHEAP 100% SLIP-GUARANTEE Plastic! Damnit. I had really high hopes for this case.
If this doesn't already kill all your hopes and dreams, it makes your phone much more gargantuan. However, I digress, when it comes to drop protection, even though you'll be picking up the two pieces of your case + your phone, I would feel confident that the majority of impact from the initial drop would be absorbed into this case, before it falls apart. Price to protection value is decent at $23 dollars. Note that this case is cheaper now at $19 which increases the appeal of this case if you have a decent grip of your phone at all times.

The final case is the Boxwave OA3 Resolute:
So check this out, I only found this case on accident thanks to Slickdeals.net. I read reviews about boxwave's case for other phones such as the SIII, and I was prepared to be disappointed with this case. But alas, none of those previous problems exist and ironically, I am keeping this case even though its MUCH cheaper than all the other cases I've tried. This case almost looks identical in design to the Ballistics, which is what I think the company was going for. However, it is only one piece of hardened rubber. It fits very snug, and feels great in the hand. It doesn't make the phone as huge as the ballistics case, and I still feel confident that this case will offer a decent amount of drop protection. Another bonus is that it has a kickstand... but don't count on it for very long, because its the cheapest feeling kickstand you'll probably ever see in your life. I can almost bet money that it'll break with regular usage. So enjoy it while it lasts. You definitely cannot beat this case for the price as it was only $10.00 total. Not to mention its all black, no cheap looking white plastic.

I have attached all the photos I took. Sorry I don't have photos of the case on the phone, as I had taken the pictures with the note 2 :)

Hope you found this post helpful.

Here are the links to all the cases, except for the Body Glove!
Ballistics: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAA8U0W/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Seidio: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A45SGFW/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Boxwave: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H163JE/ref=ox_ya_os_product <--Unfortunately Sold out until Feb 28th Courtesy of SD.net

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20130130_212157.jpg
    20130130_212157.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 20130130_212212.jpg
    20130130_212212.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 20130130_212215.jpg
    20130130_212215.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 20130130_212217.jpg
    20130130_212217.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 20130130_212229.jpg
    20130130_212229.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 931
  • 20130130_212247.jpg
    20130130_212247.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 925
  • 20130130_212302.jpg
    20130130_212302.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 920
  • 20130130_212311.jpg
    20130130_212311.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 845
  • 20130130_212325.jpg
    20130130_212325.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 848
  • 20130130_212400.jpg
    20130130_212400.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20130130_212408.jpg
    20130130_212408.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 988
  • 20130130_212424.jpg
    20130130_212424.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 912

LBJM

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for for the pictures. I personally am still waiting on the seidio convert case for the extended battery, I enjoyed the one I had on my thunderbolt. The case I have on my note 2 is the $12 (now $8.95) rugged case from ebay. The case uses the same style of synthetic rubber that the seido case uses and prevents me from dropping the phone. What are you going to do with those left over cases?

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Good review, and I do agree with you on every point. While waiting for my UAG case, I'm using right now $7 ebay case (first one in my review link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36730711&highlight=rugged+dual+layer#post36730711) - which is a copy of Seidio Active and also similar to Otterbox Commuter. Commuter has a higher quality inner rubber lining, without a doubt. But Active is exactly the same stuff, or I should say that ebay cheap knockoff is exactly the same design and quality as Active :)

Btw, the Boxwave one you can get from ebay shipped for about $7. Its not their original design, just a generic ebay case they purchase in bulk from China and sell conveniently for local us shippment.

frozenfyre

May 19, 2007
Thanks for the compliments. I am returning the other cases to amazon for free since I said that they are faulty, lol.

asmanthebell

May 17, 2007
Useful review but I disagree on the ballistics case after going through other reviews and more than enough websites I found the ballistics case was the indeed the case which had the protection. The box said 8-9ft drop so I tested it with a leap faith and the case phone stayed together with no damage and didn't come apart. Also you say slippery wrong again I can apply minimum pressure using my little finger and thumb dry and wet with no slippage. The case is made from decent materials not the stuff you would get from a 5 dollar case which I have been through several. The case offers better screen protection from laying flat on a surface screen down than any case with the added corner protection. The back is non slip also and makes good resting on a slanted surface say a car roof, bonnet or dash board. And with a year warrantee you can't get far wrong. In general its makes the whole overall grip better and nice to the touch. Feels very manly to and with a simplistic look. With the plastic support the case holds firmly all round the note. Down side only two colours black and white, little flimsy top and bottom of screen. Price is fair for the case was 22.99 off eBay stores, cheaper if you get a deal on it.

Amazon gives a 4.5/5 overall for 33 reviews that's pretty good like.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: foxxx5oh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

Ive been looking through this accessory thread ever since I owned my note 2 trying desperately to get rid of the crappy Body Glove case I was "borrowing" from Tmobile. Well, my three other cases came today, and after testing them all, I will tell you what I settled with.

First things first:

The Body Glove: I don't have any pictures of this crappy case, but you don't need any. Apparently I found out today after returning my version of the BG that they have OTHER styles which are far superior then the one that I had. But probably still pretty bad. This is the beginners case that you settle on if you have no idea how to surf the WWW. Obviously if you are reading this, you would never settle for this case, especially at the outrageous $30+ price tag.

Now for the 3 puppies that arrived today. I purchased these all on amazon.com.

The Seidio Active Case:
    My initial thoughts are that this would be the case I would be settling with, especially after the youtube reviews... But after putting it on, and upon comparison, I realized that this case offers minimal protection as far as a drop would be concerned. It feels extremely cheap with the white plastic, and I had no idea that this is what I was purchasing. Not only that, but it has the same issue as the body glove - Slippery bastard. Sure the sides are rubber, but its an extremely soft smooth rubber that doesnt "Stick" if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty nice looking case, and I like the kickstand...but it's not for me. They also have other very vivid colors. As far as price goes, this case is a rip off at $30.35. Almost as bad as the body glove, but slightly cheaper and prettier.

The Ballistics Case:
    This is the case that I read reviews about and heard is supposed to offer some of the best protection outside of Otterbox Defender case. Not to mention it looks good. Well, I opened this bad boy up, and noticed a few things right away. The rubber shell is not snug at all. When you snap on the plastic, it gets a little more snug, but I guarantee this case will fall apart everytime you drop your phone. This already had me worried. Another issue is the damn sides of the case. ITS CHEAP 100% SLIP-GUARANTEE Plastic! Damnit. I had really high hopes for this case.
    If this doesn't already kill all your hopes and dreams, it makes your phone much more gargantuan. However, I digress, when it comes to drop protection, even though you'll be picking up the two pieces of your case + your phone, I would feel confident that the majority of impact from the initial drop would be absorbed into this case, before it falls apart. Price to protection value is decent at $23 dollars. Note that this case is cheaper now at $19 which increases the appeal of this case if you have a decent grip of your phone at all times.

The final case is the Boxwave OA3 Resolute:
    So check this out, I only found this case on accident thanks to Slickdeals.net. I read reviews about boxwave's case for other phones such as the SIII, and I was prepared to be disappointed with this case. But alas, none of those previous problems exist and ironically, I am keeping this case even though its MUCH cheaper than all the other cases I've tried. This case almost looks identical in design to the Ballistics, which is what I think the company was going for. However, it is only one piece of hardened rubber. It fits very snug, and feels great in the hand. It doesn't make the phone as huge as the ballistics case, and I still feel confident that this case will offer a decent amount of drop protection. Another bonus is that it has a kickstand... but don't count on it for very long, because its the cheapest feeling kickstand you'll probably ever see in your life. I can almost bet money that it'll break with regular usage. So enjoy it while it lasts. You definitely cannot beat this case for the price as it was only $10.00 total. Not to mention its all black, no cheap looking white plastic.

I have attached all the photos I took. Sorry I don't have photos of the case on the phone, as I had taken the pictures with the note 2 :)

Hope you found this post helpful.

Here are the links to all the cases, except for the Body Glove!
    Ballistics: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAA8U0W/ref=ox_ya_os_product
    Seidio: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A45SGFW/ref=ox_ya_os_product
    Boxwave: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H163JE/ref=ox_ya_os_product <--Unfortunately Sold out until Feb 28th Courtesy of SD.net

Thanks!
    Useful review but I disagree on the ballistics case after going through other reviews and more than enough websites I found the ballistics case was the indeed the case which had the protection. The box said 8-9ft drop so I tested it with a leap faith and the case phone stayed together with no damage and didn't come apart. Also you say slippery wrong again I can apply minimum pressure using my little finger and thumb dry and wet with no slippage. The case is made from decent materials not the stuff you would get from a 5 dollar case which I have been through several. The case offers better screen protection from laying flat on a surface screen down than any case with the added corner protection. The back is non slip also and makes good resting on a slanted surface say a car roof, bonnet or dash board. And with a year warrantee you can't get far wrong. In general its makes the whole overall grip better and nice to the touch. Feels very manly to and with a simplistic look. With the plastic support the case holds firmly all round the note. Down side only two colours black and white, little flimsy top and bottom of screen. Price is fair for the case was 22.99 off eBay stores, cheaper if you get a deal on it.

Amazon gives a 4.5/5 overall for 33 reviews that's pretty good like.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium