[ROM][ANGLER][7.1.2_r33][8-11-17] Vanilla | Rootless | OMS | Flash Kernel | F2FS

Search This thread

WelcomeToTheSkye

Oct 16, 2015
Nexus 6
Moto X Style (Pure)
b7c601dacee73c8f46cb95899ec9301b.png
Introduction
Vanilla is a ROM designed to be as close as possible to AOSP while having theming capabilities with substratum. If you don't want to use substratum you don't have to as it's an optional install from the play store. The ROM does not come with root as it isn't even needed for substratum anymore. Don't worry about flashing a kernel because flash come with it!

Features
It is much easier for us to maintain our features list over on github

Changelog
Vanilla's "Changelog" lives on github for easier updates

Installation

Clean flash (needed when coming from another ROM or on a version earlier than 1.11 upgrading to 1.11+):
  1. Download latest build with md5sum (TWRP will automatically verify)
  2. Download GApps
  3. Download latest vendor
  4. Boot TWRP
  5. Wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik cache
  6. Flash Vendor
  7. Flash Vanilla
  8. Flash GApps
  9. Flash other zips
  10. Reboot

Dirty flash (when already on Vanilla):
  2. Boot TWRP
  3. Wipe cache and dalvik cache
  4. Flash Vanilla
  5. Flash other zips
  6. Reboot

Frequently Asked Questions

1.1 Q: What's the difference between the two versions?
1.1 A: Pixel version has the blue accents system wide with round icons, the non-Pixel version is the normal AOSP look.

1.2 Q: Why doesn't the Pixel version have the nav bar?
1.2 A: In order to easily do two builds, the nav bar has to be overlayed in our custom vendor, which is not working at the moment. Download Substratum and install the nav bar overlay of PixelUI.

1.3 Q: How do I convert to F2FS?
1.3 A: This will involve formatting your data, backup before hand! I'd also recommend doing this after installing the ROM but before setting it up fully.
  1. If you don't know what f2fs is, 2 options: A. Google it. B. DO NOT USE F2FS FFS
  2. Download Nathan's custom TWRP: http://nchancellor.net/Downloads/TWRP/angler/
  3. Flash it with either fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <path_to_img_file>
    or within your current TWRP (Install > Select Image > Recovery)
  4. Select Wipe > Advanced Wipe
  5. Select data and hit "Partition options"
  6. Select "Change filesystem"
  7. Select "F2FS"
  8. Slide to confirm
  9. Back out and do the same thing for cache
  10. Boot up into Android

1.4 Q: Can you add ABC feature from XYZ ROM??
1.4 A: If you can tell us where you saw the feature, we can consider adding it but this ROM is supposed to be close to stock; it will not have a lot of the bells and whistles that others will have.

1.5 Q: Can I flash Open GApps with this?
1.5 Q: Sure but we will not be providing support if something goes wrong.

1.6 Q: Can you add an option to remove lockscreen elements?
1.6 A: We could, however there isn't much of a point as you could just simply download Substratum and install Lock Clean.

1.7 Q: Do i need to flash GApps between builds?
1.7 A: You only need to flash GApps if you are doing a clean flash.

1.8 Q: Vendor XYZ id from the verizon only build. Where can i find the non-verizon vendor?
1.8 A: TL;DR It doesn't matter. If its in the op chances are thats the correct vendor.There is a common misconception about the vendors from the last 2 builds. The verizon vendor and normal vendor is IDENTICAL. the only difference between the verizon build and non verizon build is that the verizon build has a newer radio because 3.78 breaks verizon volte while 3.79 fixes it. HOWEVER even with that any user could flash that build perfectly fine.

1.9 Q: Can i build vanilla myself from source?
1.9 A: Go for it :) we wont stop you. we just ask that you don't publicly release anything. If you want a device supported you are welcome to be one of our maintainers just talk to me first. Feel free to contribute to the project :) Just know if you build Vanilla on your own, you will not receive support because if you are building it yourself you should be able to fix the issues yourself :p

Downloads

Special Thanks

Nathan Chancellor/The Flash/The Rom Homie: Without him vanilla wouldn't be here
Alex Cold: for making us a better logo
Substratum team
PureNexus
Flash Rom
Krexus
Any other project used

Got questions or just wanna talk? Join us on Telegram!

XDA:DevDB Information
Vanilla, ROM for the Huawei Nexus 6P

Contributors
WelcomeToTheSkye, The Flash
Source Code: https://github.com/VanillaNexusSource/android_manifest

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 6.12
Stable Release Date: 2017-08-09

Created 2017-03-09
Last Updated 2017-08-11

Last edited:

note3userr

Oct 17, 2013
Just flashed new nitrogen build and finished setting everything up and now I see this.? Want to give it a try badly. Maybe weekend. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: WelcomeToTheSkye

Shockz

Oct 5, 2012
So im assuming since this is close to AOSP that it should pass safetynet correct?

inspire4gfreak

Dec 18, 2011
Belgrade
Do we have Substratum support in this awesome ROM? I know it says OMS, but there have been some issues with stock ROMs and Substratum lately so I'm just wondering if it's working now.

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
Do we have Substratum support in this awesome ROM? I know it says OMS, but there have been some issues with stock ROMs and Substratum lately so I'm just wondering if it's working now.
Hey just to clarify for you;

Stock based ROMs don't have issues with Substratum so long as they include OMS support. It's the modified stock images (MegaPixel, WETA, Cortex, etc.) that have issues. They aren't source built and as such, cannot include OMS. If you theme frameworks (Android System from Substratum app) you will boot loop. Some themes give you a warning and won't even let you theme it and others will just throw an error if you try. Any source built ROM (like this one) which includes the OMS commits is fine.

Some people say that Swift Dark/Black by Per Lycke fully work on Substratum legacy (ROMs without OMS), and they do except they won't theme frameworks. Your notifications stay white, they won't theme, point blank period. Google broke legacy support and no theme can get around that. It's broken in source. The rest of the theme works fine, but frameworks will not theme. I've personally tested this on modified images. Google already fixed the problem internally and said a fix should be coming soon.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    b7c601dacee73c8f46cb95899ec9301b.png
    Introduction
    Vanilla is a ROM designed to be as close as possible to AOSP while having theming capabilities with substratum. If you don't want to use substratum you don't have to as it's an optional install from the play store. The ROM does not come with root as it isn't even needed for substratum anymore. Don't worry about flashing a kernel because flash come with it!

Features
    It is much easier for us to maintain our features list over on github

Changelog
    Vanilla's "Changelog" lives on github for easier updates

Installation

Clean flash (needed when coming from another ROM or on a version earlier than 1.11 upgrading to 1.11+):
    2. Download GApps
    3. Download latest vendor
    4. Boot TWRP
    5. Wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik cache
    6. Flash Vendor
    7. Flash Vanilla
    8. Flash GApps
    9. Flash other zips
    10. Reboot

Dirty flash (when already on Vanilla):
    2. Boot TWRP
    3. Wipe cache and dalvik cache
    4. Flash Vanilla
    5. Flash other zips
    6. Reboot

Frequently Asked Questions

1.1 Q: What's the difference between the two versions?
    1.1 A: Pixel version has the blue accents system wide with round icons, the non-Pixel version is the normal AOSP look.

1.2 Q: Why doesn't the Pixel version have the nav bar?
    1.2 A: In order to easily do two builds, the nav bar has to be overlayed in our custom vendor, which is not working at the moment. Download Substratum and install the nav bar overlay of PixelUI.

1.3 Q: How do I convert to F2FS?
    1.3 A: This will involve formatting your data, backup before hand! I'd also recommend doing this after installing the ROM but before setting it up fully.
    1. If you don't know what f2fs is, 2 options: A. Google it. B. DO NOT USE F2FS FFS
    2. Download Nathan's custom TWRP: http://nchancellor.net/Downloads/TWRP/angler/
    3. Flash it with either fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery <path_to_img_file>
      or within your current TWRP (Install > Select Image > Recovery)
    4. Select Wipe > Advanced Wipe
    5. Select data and hit "Partition options"
    6. Select "Change filesystem"
    7. Select "F2FS"
    8. Slide to confirm
    9. Back out and do the same thing for cache
    10. Boot up into Android

1.4 Q: Can you add ABC feature from XYZ ROM??
    1.4 A: If you can tell us where you saw the feature, we can consider adding it but this ROM is supposed to be close to stock; it will not have a lot of the bells and whistles that others will have.

1.5 Q: Can I flash Open GApps with this?
    1.5 Q: Sure but we will not be providing support if something goes wrong.

1.6 Q: Can you add an option to remove lockscreen elements?
    1.6 A: We could, however there isn't much of a point as you could just simply download Substratum and install Lock Clean.

1.7 Q: Do i need to flash GApps between builds?
    1.7 A: You only need to flash GApps if you are doing a clean flash.

1.8 Q: Vendor XYZ id from the verizon only build. Where can i find the non-verizon vendor?
    1.8 A: TL;DR It doesn't matter. If its in the op chances are thats the correct vendor.There is a common misconception about the vendors from the last 2 builds. The verizon vendor and normal vendor is IDENTICAL. the only difference between the verizon build and non verizon build is that the verizon build has a newer radio because 3.78 breaks verizon volte while 3.79 fixes it. HOWEVER even with that any user could flash that build perfectly fine.

1.9 Q: Can i build vanilla myself from source?
    1.9 A: Go for it :) we wont stop you. we just ask that you don't publicly release anything. If you want a device supported you are welcome to be one of our maintainers just talk to me first. Feel free to contribute to the project :) Just know if you build Vanilla on your own, you will not receive support because if you are building it yourself you should be able to fix the issues yourself :p

Downloads

Special Thanks

Nathan Chancellor/The Flash/The Rom Homie: Without him vanilla wouldn't be here
    Alex Cold: for making us a better logo
    Substratum team
    PureNexus
    Flash Rom
    Krexus
    Any other project used

Got questions or just wanna talk? Join us on Telegram!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Vanilla, ROM for the Huawei Nexus 6P

Contributors
    WelcomeToTheSkye, The Flash
    Source Code: https://github.com/VanillaNexusSource/android_manifest

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 6.12
    Stable Release Date: 2017-08-09

Created 2017-03-09
    Last Updated 2017-08-11
    The Pixel build of Vanilla Bean 7.1.2 is now public. Get it while its hot. I'm sorry about the long wait :p
    3.0 is finally being built with 7.1.2 r_8 sorry for the wait.
    Vanilla Cheesecake was a pain but I finally got stuff sorted
    Just waiting for may tags
    Hello to screen recording
    Qs headers
    Real vanilla tweaks icon
    And custom screenshots
    Android pay now works as of 1.10 without the use of magisk