VZW bloatware keeps redownloading after being removed even on custom/rooted ROMs

Search This thread

rabidbiscuit

Apr 30, 2014
I don't know if there's a thread that already covered this. I searched the forum and only turned up one slightly similar topic. Anyway, I've got s-off on my M8, I've been flashing ROMs, and anytime I use anything Sense-based, all of the Verizon bloat redownloads upon reboot. Every time. Even after uninstalling, going into the play store, and removing the apps from my account, it all reinstalls after I shut the phone off and turn it back on again.

It's happened for me on:
Stock
cleanROM
Android Revolution

The only ROM that doesn't do this to me (that I've tried) is digitalhigh's GPE, which makes me think it has something to do with Sense/some kinda HTC sync/something I'm missing that isn't in GPE.

Take cleanROM for example. It doesn't have any bloat included, but upon setup my phone immediately began downloading those bloatware apps, which appeared again on my play store app list. I'm stumped.

Anybody have a similar experience/know the answer? The whole reason I went through the trouble of rooting, getting s-off, flashing a recovery, and flashing ROMs is to get rid of the bloatware, but if it just keeps redownloading no matter what, that defeats the purpose. I could stick with digitalhigh's GPE, which is a great ROM, but it's got a bit of lag, the camera is ****, and the carrier information is unknown, so I don't consider it stable enough to be my daily driver yet.

Thanks in advance! :D

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
I don't know the answer. I'd say initially it sounds like you have google set to auto install your apps, but that should only happen when you first initialize a new ROM. You can prevent that by unchecking the option during the phone setup. But you said you deleted the apps from your google account and this is happening by just a restart so...

What I would do in the meantime is install Titanium Backup and freeze all the apps you don't want. I wouldn't freeze/uninstall anything unless you are absolutely sure of what it does and everything it's associated with. Freezing should stop them from downloading and updating. They won't appear in your app drawer either.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

PS - don't freeze BlinkFeed. I made the mistake of thinking it was just the social integration app. It's actually the launcher.

Also, this is probably something that would be fixed by an internal wipe in recovery. You most likely have some latent folders that never got wiped. I would first try a full wipe with internal (not system!).

Last edited:

iii2

Oct 10, 2012
Just an idea, I really don't think it would work but you can try it out. Maybe if you'll use supercid the bloatware won't be download

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just an idea, I really don't think it would work but you can try it out. Maybe if you'll use supercid the bloatware won't be download

No related at all. That is for a device check while flashing. It is probably like the person above said, it is probably just restoring previously installed apps since most of that is on the play store.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

rabidbiscuit

Apr 30, 2014
Turns out I had Google set to back up apps. Derp.

I could swear I didn't turn that on when I did initial setup. I usually don't miss something that obvious. Oh well. Problem solved.

Thanks for replying tho guys.