How to restore Download Mode if all you have is Fastboot

Search This thread

Artifesto

Nov 7, 2010
Fort Walton Beach, FL
This is for the people [myself earlier] who cannot boot into Android (bootloop or worse), have no download mode, no recovery and can only boot into Fastboot. Download the file below, I have included fastboot (for windows) and the appropriate files to flash, all you have to do is run the commands in order below, then boot into download mode.

1. fastboot erase boot
  2. fastboot erase aboot
  3. fastboot erase recovery
  4. fastboot erase laf
  5. fastboot flash boot 6-boot.img
  6. fastboot flash aboot 4-boot.img
  7. fastboot flash recovery 10-recovery.img
  8. fastboot flash laf 11-laf.img
  9. fastboot reboot

It is best to use the CMD.exe file in the folder provided so you will already be running the commands from that folder without having to change directories. If you're on Linux then make sure you have Fastboot installed then run Terminal from the folder and run the same commands. This will restore the STOCK download mode and recovery partitions not TWRP or CWM.

Download Here

Last edited:

natefuhr

Mar 10, 2008
Southern California
This is for the people [myself earlier] who cannot boot into Android (bootloop or worse), have no download mode, no recovery and can only boot into Fastboot. Download the file below, I have included fastboot (for windows) and the appropriate files to flash, all you have to do is run the commands in order below, then boot into download mode.

1. fastboot erase boot
  2. fastboot erase aboot
  4. fastboot erase laf
  9. fastboot reboot

It is best to use the CMD.exe file in the folder provided so you will already be running the commands from that folder without having to change directories. If you're on Linux then make sure you have Fastboot installed then run Terminal from the folder and run the same commands. This will restore the STOCK download mode and recovery partitions not TWRP or CWM.

Download Here
How would one go about repairing a broken download mode when all I can do is boot into a broken recovery? I cannot issue any fastboot commands as the device is only recognized as an ADB Bridge device. Are there ADB equivalent commands to accomplish the same things as you have detailed here?

SPRINT LS980 (was on Rooted Stock C and borked phone with D OTA) and a broken TWRP 2.7.1.0 Recovery

Artifesto

Nov 7, 2010
Fort Walton Beach, FL
How would one go about repairing a broken download mode when all I can do is boot into a broken recovery? I cannot issue any fastboot commands as the device is only recognized as an ADB Bridge device. Are there ADB equivalent commands to accomplish the same things as you have detailed here?

SPRINT LS980 (was on Rooted Stock C and borked phone with D OTA) and a broken TWRP 2.7.1.0 Recovery

well you should never install any OTA with a custom recovery install. you should always keep at least one backup on your phone to restore to in these events. but i would try downloading a rom and installing via sideload before nuking any partitions. which is easy with TWRP. the sideload menu should be in Advanced then ADB Sideload and the command is adb sideload filename.zip and it will take awhile depending on the file size. make sure the file name is simple and it is placed in the folder you are running the sideload from.

natefuhr

Mar 10, 2008
Southern California
well you should never install any OTA with a custom recovery install. you should always keep at least one backup on your phone to restore to in these events. but i would try downloading a rom and installing via sideload before nuking any partitions. which is easy with TWRP. the sideload menu should be in Advanced then ADB Sideload and the command is adb sideload filename.zip and it will take awhile depending on the file size. make sure the file name is simple and it is placed in the folder you are running the sideload from.

Yes yes I know... it was a moment of weakness late at night and I didn't think before telling the girl to go ahead and upgrade. That being said... Part of the problem now is that the one backup she made just up and disappeared. The ADB sideload option just hangs and never actually does anything. The original Stock Rooted file I had still on the sd partition doesn't fix the issue when I flash it... it looks like it flashes ok but on the next boot it just drops me back into TWRP right where I began. And download mode is still borked.

So let's talk thermonuclear resolution on this motherlover.... where do I begin?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Artifesto

Nov 7, 2010
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Yes yes I know... it was a moment of weakness late at night and I didn't think before telling the girl to go ahead and upgrade. That being said... Part of the problem now is that the one backup she made just up and disappeared. The ADB sideload option just hangs and never actually does anything. The original Stock Rooted file I had still on the sd partition doesn't fix the issue when I flash it... it looks like it flashes ok but on the next boot it just drops me back into TWRP right where I began. And download mode is still borked.

So let's talk thermonuclear resolution on this motherlover.... where do I begin?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

hmmmmm.... I've been able to get my G2 into fastboot by holding Volume + and Pwr after it setting for awhile turned off.. may be stupid but have you tried that button combo or Volume + and Volume - with Pwr

deathsquad737

Mar 29, 2014
dope city Oroville cali
Could u tell me the command cause i went adb sideload filename.zip and it comes up file not found and i put it in my platform-tools folder any ideas i have adb version 1.30...it was above the version that they said you need on the twrp site

whatsamatta u alumni 1990-2011

gelito81

Mar 3, 2011
Fastboot???

1. fastboot erase boot
  2. fastboot erase aboot
  4. fastboot erase laf
  9. fastboot reboot

Download Here

How do I get to fastboot. I can get to recovery but that's it. Download is not working. The Vol+/- and Power just gets me to key controls.

Reactions: unclested

Artifesto

Nov 7, 2010
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Could u tell me the command cause i went adb sideload filename.zip and it comes up file not found and i put it in my platform-tools folder any ideas i have adb version 1.30...it was above the version that they said you need on the twrp site

whatsamatta u alumni 1990-2011

i would try to rename your rom to something simple, like rom.zip. there cannot be any spaces in the name and it does need to be in the same folder you run the command from like you seem to be doing.

How do I get to fastboot. I can get to recovery but that's it. Download is not working. The Vol+/- and Power just gets me to key controls.

did you try vol+ and power together? When a functioning rom is installed it asks to do a factory reset but it may get into fastboot if you nuked that partition. i haven't tried this yet but if you're in adb sideload in twrp maybe the command
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
might help

natefuhr

Mar 10, 2008
Southern California
i would try to rename your rom to something simple, like rom.zip. there cannot be any spaces in the name and it does need to be in the same folder you run the command from like you seem to be doing.

did you try vol+ and power together? When a functioning rom is installed it asks to do a factory reset but it may get into fastboot if you nuked that partition. i haven't tried this yet but if you're in adb sideload in twrp maybe the command
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
might help

Tried all of the above.... they all just send me into recovery or broken download mode

damn

Drewh1991

Jun 19, 2010
I'm screwed. I gave this a try and now all I get is a black screen. The phone will connect to my computer but I can't send any commands to it through the command prompt. When it connects to the computer it opens a bunch of different drives and says I need to format them. I can't get into download mode and when I try to send a command in the prompt it just says waiting for device. Any ideas? :(

Edit: It shows up in device manager like this: http://i.imgur.com/NXGxpcX.png

Last edited:

Crossxcalibur

Mar 19, 2009
I'm not sure if you can help me here. I have a Verizon G2 and am trying to reset to factory for a repair. I am trying to get into download mode, but only get fastboot when pressing volume up while powered off and plugging in my USB cord. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

deathsquad737

Mar 29, 2014
dope city Oroville cali
how i can enter in FASTBOOT mode ?

Flash xdabbbeb 24a bootstack zip

WHATSAMATTA U ALUMNI

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I'm not sure if you can help me here. I have a Verizon G2 and am trying to reset to factory for a repair. I am trying to get into download mode, but only get fastboot when pressing volume up while powered off and plugging in my USB cord. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Read 2 post above yours i answered your ?

WHATSAMATTA U ALUMNI

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. fastboot erase boot
    2. fastboot erase aboot
    4. fastboot erase laf
    9. fastboot reboot

Download Here
    Fastboot???

1. fastboot erase boot
    2. fastboot erase aboot
    4. fastboot erase laf
    9. fastboot reboot

Download Here