LG G2 Makro lens

Search This thread

samsve

Jun 13, 2014
Hello!

The LG G2 has an exceptional camera, we all know that. So to take even more advantage of this I've made a makro lens that you can 3D print yourself. I just wanted to share this with you guys, I hope you like it. More sample pictures and files can be found on thingiverse

Because of me being a new user I can't post the link to it, but go on Thingiverse and search for samsve (LG G2 Makro lens)

Best Regards
Sammy

Attachments

• 20140526_185504.jpg
    20140526_185504.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 20140526_190330.jpg
    20140526_190330.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 1,814
  • 20140526_190455.jpg
    20140526_190455.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 1,747
  • 20140604_195000.jpg
    20140604_195000.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,706

samsve

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you! :)

To be clear on one point, the case is 3D printed, but the lens is from a "copier laser assembly" but you can find these types of lenses in every laser printer! ;)

Reactions: siggey

kopter3161

Apr 24, 2014
Is this really a macro lens (bring far object look closer@zoom) or is it micro lens (magnifier for close-up imaging)?

Zarrick19

Mar 15, 2011
Košice
Any tips where to get nice macro (or micro, whatever) lens? I was using some lens from cheaps ebay lasers along with my old compact camera, the zoom was really huge but on the other side the quality was really poor. I've also got there some camera lens from Smena 8M and Zorki 4 (Industar 50 lens) but since I don't want to destroy them, I can't really use them for macro (or micro, whatever) (even when reverse mounted, not that much zoom).

60nine

Any tips where to get nice macro (or micro, whatever) lens? I was using some lens from cheaps ebay lasers along with my old compact camera, the zoom was really huge but on the other side the quality was really poor. I've also got there some camera lens from Smena 8M and Zorki 4 (Industar 50 lens) but since I don't want to destroy them, I can't really use them for macro (or micro, whatever) (even when reverse mounted, not that much zoom).

most of the macro add-on lenses (or any add-on lenses) you can find for mobile phones are basically the same, cheap ones - good for fun, but no good for anything serious...

only thing that comes in mind is that sony standalone lens that can be used on any mobile device

like this one
http://www.wired.com/2014/09/sony-ilce-qx1/

but for that price (or if you add some extra $), you can find a better compact camera (like one from the Sony NEX series or Olympus Pen series)

kopter3161

Apr 24, 2014
i guess you've messed up the terms...

1st lens you are mentioning in your post is called "zoom" or "tele" lens

2nd one is called "macro" or "close up" lens (not micro)

Oh thanks for correcting me though. Btw, is this lens for zooming or macro? I really wanted, well at least 50x optical zooming capabilities for my project. Not really interested for close-up shot since i've made my own by just using cd-rom lens. Its not perfect but, well it does the job.

60nine

Oh thanks for correcting me though. Btw, is this lens for zooming or macro? I really wanted, well at least 50x optical zooming capabilities for my project. Not really interested for close-up shot since i've made my own by just using cd-rom lens. Its not perfect but, well it does the job.

lol... you will hardly find 50x optical zoom lenses even for dslr cameras :)

if you need that much optical zoom - you better forget about mobile device for doing that...

you'd be better with the FinePix SL1000, Sony HX400V, Olympus SP-100, Canon PowerShot SX50 HS or several other compact cameras which will give you 50x optical zoom and way better pictures than any mobile device for sure...

ps:
you can also search for a cheaper dlsr that you can attach to a telescope with a proper adapter... i believe there are some budget solutions for this combo

Last edited:

kopter3161

Apr 24, 2014
lol... you will hardly find 50x optical zoom lenses even for dslr cameras :)

if you need that much optical zoom - you better forget about mobile device for doing that...

you'd be better with the FinePix SL1000, Sony HX400V, Olympus SP-100, Canon PowerShot SX50 HS or several other compact cameras which will give you 50x optical zoom and way better pictures than any mobile device for sure...

ps:
you can also search for a cheaper dlsr that you can attach to a telescope with a proper adapter... i believe there are some budget solutions for this combo

Yeah i know it is ridiculous to even begin with. Lol. It is just i am very interested in this kind of thing. My brother just got me 200x telescopic lens for my d90 and i started to see a whole new things to fiddle with. It is amazing!

Beware ladies. Lol. Just joking. Dont ever do unethical things like peeping tom could. Even if it fun. :p:p

Hosre

Dec 20, 2014
I wish i had a Makro lens for my G2. All the photos that was taken with makro lens, look so great

60nine

I wish i had a Makro lens for my G2. All the photos that was taken with makro lens, look so great

believe me - macro lens on phones are PITA to use... especially if you don't have a dedicated photo capture button on your device (and G2 doesn't have it - at least not on the bezel side instead of the buttons on behind of the case)

you can grab a macro lens from ebay for as much as 10$ or less...

downsides are:
- very hard to focus due to being unable to keep the device steady that close to the subject (and you have to be very, very close to the subject to get it in focus)
- on G2 - the macro lens always has a black circle vignette around the image (lens hardly covers the whole frame without the vignette "effect")
- not so sharp images as the real macro photos
- a bit clunky to use because it clips on the device (instead of screwing to the case like i.e. on iPhones)

good points:
- nice for fun (especially if you don't have a normal camera - dslr or compact)
- gives almost a natural bokeh to the macro image (which isn't possible with phone lenses)

my 2 cents

Last edited:

kopter3161

Apr 24, 2014
believe me - macro lens on phones are PITA to use... especially if you don't have a dedicated photo capture button on your device (and G2 doesn't have it - at least not on the bezel side instead of the buttons on behind

This one problem could actually be resolved by using voice-activated command on G2 stock camera app. It is called cheese shutter and this function is pretty great though.

Zarrick19

Mar 15, 2011
Košice
Some of those acceptable pics (many are really really close up, but you can't really tell what it is, so I won't even post them)
Human hair
P6130313x%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Sponge
P6130317x%20%28Custom%29.jpg

IEM earphone wires (different lens)
P6130335x%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Salt (or sugar)
P6080116%20%28Custom%29%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Sugar (or salt)
P6080120%20%28Custom%29%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Surface of a HDD disc
P6080102%20%28Custom%29%20%28Custom%29.JPG

kopter3161

Apr 24, 2014
yes, it might work - but as i've said, it's the "holding the device still" that's PITA the most :)

Yes without a tripod the image would susceptible to blurring. Unless it can take picture at 1/1000s at lowest ISO possible without darkening the picture, yes you wont get professional-quality close-up shot.

Some of those acceptable pics (many are really really close up, but you can't really tell what it is, so I won't even post them)

Those picture actually very nice. But the problem i spotted is there isnt enough lights. I used to take pictures like those but end up having to bring the camera too close to the object thus blocking lights to shine the object. That is the only problem for this method. At least for me, it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

The LG G2 has an exceptional camera, we all know that. So to take even more advantage of this I've made a makro lens that you can 3D print yourself. I just wanted to share this with you guys, I hope you like it. More sample pictures and files can be found on thingiverse

Because of me being a new user I can't post the link to it, but go on Thingiverse and search for samsve (LG G2 Makro lens)

Best Regards
    Sammy
    Here is the link
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:343279/#files
    I wish I had access to a 3D printer though :p
    Thank you! :)

To be clear on one point, the case is 3D printed, but the lens is from a "copier laser assembly" but you can find these types of lenses in every laser printer! ;)
    As I've said before, I'm using lens from the cheapest lasers on ebay.