[Q] Best Rom for MT4GS?

Search This thread

optimus x

Jul 22, 2011
Indianapolis
I apologize as I'm sure there is another thread but I couldn't find it through the search. I am looking for suggestions on a custom ROM, Stability, Performance, Battery Life, Hopefully with increased jpeg quality, and full camera performance. I use my phone on WiFi quite a bit so it would be a plus if the rom had amplified the WiFi to like 15 or 20db.

I'm uncertain as to the development of ICS on this device, But I just came from ICS on my Optimus One which ultimately lead to my device being bricked randomly after beta testing. I absolutely loved ICS, but if the rom isn't stable enough to use as a daily driver then I would rather wait... (and by stable I mean past alpha status, functional beta is stable for me... I did tons of beta testing for Optimus One so I know what to expect as far as stability goes with works in progress)

So if you guys could link me to some of the best ROMS for this device it would be much appreciated.

OneNawlige

Mar 7, 2012
The Fringes Of Society
Good question, this is my second rooted device so my exp. is limited, and ive tried several roms pyroice desensed 1.1.2 most recently and i couldnt get the web browser to load (which oobviously sux). But im runnin doubleshot lite and its pretty much the basic system debloated, and very stable

Sent from my DoubleShot Lite using XDA

Reactions: optimus x

optimus x

Jul 22, 2011
Indianapolis
Good question, this is my second rooted device so my exp. is limited, and ive tried several roms pyroice desensed 1.1.2 most recently and i couldnt get the web browser to load (which oobviously sux). But im runnin doubleshot lite and its pretty much the basic system debloated, and very stable

Which web browser were you using? I know that in the development for ICS for Optimus One, there was an issue with the stock browser and Cyanogenmod 9. I know that Opera or QQBrowser was their temporary solution.

yellowjacket1981

Mar 12, 2011
Tucson, Az
My favorite rom is Bulletproof because it has all the features of our phone, and no bugs that I have noticed. I know alot of people prefer other roms because they are faster, or they are ics, but Bulletproof is the only one that hasn't cut out features, and it doesn't have alot of bugs....

Last edited:

OneNawlige

Mar 7, 2012
The Fringes Of Society
Which web browser were you using? I know that in the development for ICS for Optimus One, there was an issue with the stock browser and Cyanogenmod 9. I know that Opera or QQBrowser was their temporary solution.

Yeah i was using the stock browser, i might give it another run and use the opera or qqbrowser.... Good look too i liked the system alot but didnt spend much time with it because of the browser issue

elister

Dec 31, 2010
Seattle
Using the Bulletproof Rom, mostly because everything actually works.

Tried the an older Cyangen7 mod, but the battery got way too hot and could never charge beyond 40%

Tried the ICS rom and there are some apps that need to be re-sized, mounting the SD card as a flash drive doesnt work (not into paying 5$ for a widget), problems with wifi tethering to my wifes tablet.

Reactions: skialaska

AndroidBotx

Jan 21, 2012
Reno/Tahoe
Just for the record, skialaska, Blue6IX here is the one who created the Bulletproof ROM and I really have to agree with him on this. I feel that tbalden has been doing a great job of contributing a lot of time to multiple different ROMs for different demographics (sense vs nonsense vs cm9) and I really appreciate all of the effort that he has put into the development on this phone.

Personally, I don't like the Sense UI much, so Bulletproof isn't for me. I actually use tbalden's Pyroice desensed ROM. I do, however, respect greatly the amount of work that Blue6IX has put into developing a solid ROM and all the research into the limits of the machine in both speed and voltage.

If you can't respect the developers that donate all their free time to making our devices work better, then you probably don't belong here.

Lol Blue6IX didnt create bulletproof. Romanbb did. Blue only took over the project when romanbb hauled ass. Just an FYI.

Kanerix

Jul 13, 2011
Lol Blue6IX didnt create bulletproof. Romanbb did. Blue only took over the project when romanbb hauled ass. Just an FYI.

My apologies, I meant no disrespect. I just see Blue6IX on the posts and he's maintaining it. I didn't realize that it was created by romanbb.

At this point, I think skialaska is just trolling. Best ignore him and move on, methinks.

Reactions: AndroidBotx

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Whew, had to do some serious cleanup... I know, part of it is my fault, I've been away (70hr weeks will do that to you).

Anyhoo, let's not bicker lest I have to close this thread. These "Best ROM" threads are always very polarizing and full of personal opinion - let's do our best to not attack others work, and just state what we feel is best and why. No need to put down other builds/ROM's because you don't like 'em!

Reactions: gtmaster303

samuel0213

Jun 2, 2012
My favorite rom is Bulletproof because it has all the features of our phone, and no bugs that I have noticed. I know alot of people prefer other roms because they are faster, or they are ics, but Bulletproof is the only one that hasn't cut out features, and it doesn't have alot of bugs....

is BULLETPROOF for Amaze 4G or MT4GS?

gladiator1982ad

Jun 2, 2013
Alien Mod Solar Flare

Hi WeekendsR2Short,

I couldn't find anywhere to mention this that I could post to since I'm a new member and can't post on the actual developer page for the Alien Mod Solar Flare that you created. I actually had more success with Play Store with the zip integrated with the GApps.

First off, I highly recommend this mod to anyone because of it's amazing speed. I installed it as an upgrade from 2.3.4 and I really don't want to go back. So, I want to keep it, but I've run into some problems that I need your help with. I hope I don't get banned or anything for posting this here. My apologies if this should go somewhere else.

1. Any web browser I use, stock or dolphin mini, crash after accessing pages. Chrome installs, but crashes when I load a page "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped."

2. When loading, Netflix goes back to my apps list after a second on the red splash screen.

Steps taken during install:

1. Formatted sd card to ext4
2. Then I followed the install instructions listed on the main page in red and black using "AlienMod Solar Flare Series V XXX 4.1.2 (DS).zip" through clockwork mod
3. After the install, I "Then flush Dalvik & fix permissions" according to your later instructions.

Could my crashing apps be related to flash content not loading? I'm really stumped here.

Thanks again for your hard work and I truly appreciate any input because I really don't want to use any other rom!

WeekendsR2Short

Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Tn
Yeah, there was a browser issue that popped up for a few people. It just kinda appeared in the port & I never could figure out what it was or why it wasn't consistent. As for the apps....shoot give it a try your way. Then the next time thru recovery just flush dalvik & reset permissions then.

greowulf

Sep 5, 2012
Good JB Roms

Just wanted to drop a line for other non-devs who may be experimenting with JB Roms, and share my experiences. A couple months back, I was using only SilverL ROMS (swapping back and forth between CM 10 and AOKP). SilverL is doing some great work and still highly stable. I've been playing with tbalden's CM 10.1 rom recently though, because it is finally as stable as SilverL's and seems to have slightly better battery life and the camera seems sharper--also good video playback.

If you're looking for a more blingy ROM, WeekendsR2Short's recent PACMan release looks excellent, and has the coveted Rings widget as stock. I loved the look, but the settings UI was awkward with the split screen, and I kept having the settings crash if I tried to manage storage. Still, sweet ROM if you like the visuals over some (admittedly very minor) functionality.

All in all, I think all three of these devs deserve serious props for the progress they've made in these last short weeks. I am having a really hard time deciding between SilverL's AOKP (since I like the look) and TBalden's slightly more bulky CM10.1. I'm leaning toward tbalden just because I won't have to either splice in more ringtones or rely on SD access to get some decent ones. Arbitrary, I know. Kudos to all.

Cheers,
Wulf

P.S., on a side note, my 13-yr-old really wants to learn coding, and I thought AOSP or AOKP might be a good place to play. Any suggestions for getting him started?

Reactions: davidf9 and Ziida

PsychoPhreak

Jun 22, 2013
Just wanted to drop a line for other non-devs who may be experimenting with JB Roms, and share my experiences. A couple months back, I was using only SilverL ROMS (swapping back and forth between CM 10 and AOKP). SilverL is doing some great work and still highly stable. I've been playing with tbalden's CM 10.1 rom recently though, because it is finally as stable as SilverL's and seems to have slightly better battery life and the camera seems sharper--also good video playback.

If you're looking for a more blingy ROM, WeekendsR2Short's recent PACMan release looks excellent, and has the coveted Rings widget as stock. I loved the look, but the settings UI was awkward with the split screen, and I kept having the settings crash if I tried to manage storage. Still, sweet ROM if you like the visuals over some (admittedly very minor) functionality.

All in all, I think all three of these devs deserve serious props for the progress they've made in these last short weeks. I am having a really hard time deciding between SilverL's AOKP (since I like the look) and TBalden's slightly more bulky CM10.1. I'm leaning toward tbalden just because I won't have to either splice in more ringtones or rely on SD access to get some decent ones. Arbitrary, I know. Kudos to all.

Cheers,
Wulf

P.S., on a side note, my 13-yr-old really wants to learn coding, and I thought AOSP or AOKP might be a good place to play. Any suggestions for getting him started?

Agreed, I've checked the forums on and off for months looking for stable daily driver mods without issues I felt would prohibit use of this phone compared to the stock roms, but the stuff out now with JB is damn usable. I've been using SilverL's unofficial CM10.1 for a little over 2 weeks myself as well, have seen little bugs already get fixed in that little time, and have almost 0 issues with it as a daily driver. Amazing, amazing work being done in this place. I'd been on stock GB fully locked non-rooted phone before this. Now that I saw more and more apps are finally requiring 4.X or higher I figured I'd check and see what's available here, and was not in the least disappointed! Kudos to all those involved in the hard work going on here!

Reactions: greowulf

NooBOnTheBlock

Dec 23, 2011
The best rom is any stock optomized rom....at the same time sense gets dull and boring too look at so jb will liven it up but it will break features such as the crispy clean sense camera :)or internet passthrough fast boot time and others...depending on your outlook on things the best may be the one with more tweaks...or the most stable...all in all jb does things sense stock can't....sense stock also does things jb can't do...my battle is the sense camera...my how ide love it in a jb rom ;)

1inspire2flipout3huaweiAscend?4transform5Evo6Sensation7backflip8xperiaPlay9xPlayR800i10OneX11GalNexus12HTCamaze13Evo3D14samInfuse15MyTouch 4G Slide

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good JB Roms

Cheers,
    Wulf

Using the Bulletproof Rom, mostly because everything actually works.

Tried the an older Cyangen7 mod, but the battery got way too hot and could never charge beyond 40%

Tried the ICS rom and there are some apps that need to be re-sized, mounting the SD card as a flash drive doesnt work (not into paying 5$ for a widget), problems with wifi tethering to my wifes tablet.

My apologies, I meant no disrespect. I just see Blue6IX on the posts and he's maintaining it. I didn't realize that it was created by romanbb.

At this point, I think skialaska is just trolling. Best ignore him and move on, methinks.