Nexus 5 and LG G2 battery swap....

Search This thread

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Took my Nexus 5 apart this morning to get rid of the power button rattle, and had a look at the battery. The connection for this one and the LG G2 are identical, just on opposite sides (Nexus on the right, G2 on the left). However, after checking ebay for a G2 battery I noticed that although the connection is on the left, it is coming up from the underneath (see pic). If they are the same size-ish, does anyone think it would be possible to buy a G2 battery, simply flip it over so the flex has a little more play in it, then attach it to the logic board? It seems do-able, if the flex permits it and they're of a similar height and width. Anyone got N5 and a G2 that fancy's taking them apart? :D:D:D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 30,093
Last edited:

Kenneth131

Jul 25, 2010
Glasgow
How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click :)

reeco

Nov 20, 2009
Swansea, Wales
There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

Last edited:

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

I tried that originally and the gap is too small. My next idea was to pad the area out with cotton wool, and although that worked it made the power button pretty stiff. Once you have the back of the phone off the rest is really simple, there's 6 screws to take out, pop a plastic cover off, unclip about 3 flex cables and the board just lifts out. I can do it over again if you like and take photos so you can see how it's done?

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
This would be an amazing mod if you could somehow smash in a 3000mah battery, although I highly doubt it would fit.

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
This would be an amazing mod if you could somehow smash in a 3000mah battery, although I highly doubt it would fit.

They look similar in size though, and even if the G2 battery is thicker then I'll quite happily peel off the wireless charging coil inside the back of my N5 to make room. If, once the G2 battery is flipped over and the flex peeled back a bit, there's room for it to fold over to meet the logic board then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Even if it doesn't reach, what's to stop someone getting the soldering iron out and flipping the whole flex the right way?

Has anyone got a G2 that can give me the battery dimensions?

Last edited:
Reactions: thesoupthief

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Come to think of it, from what I've seen of batteries if you take away the little bar of charging circuitry then it's simply a block with a couple metal bits poking out. If the little bar was removed from a Nexus battery and fitted onto a G2 one then would it work as 3000 or will the charging circuit be programmed as 2300 max and so wouldn't charge it past that point?

thesoupthief

Dec 13, 2012
Dublin
Come to think of it, from what I've seen of batteries if you take away the little bar of charging circuitry then it's simply a block with a couple metal bits poking out. If the little bar was removed from a Nexus battery and fitted onto a G2 one then would it work as 3000 or will the charging circuit be programmed as 2300 max and so wouldn't charge it past that point?

Huge respect to the brave owner of the guinea pig device used to prove this works!
All shall have Thanks!

fireproofrev

Sep 15, 2011
forget it, the G2 battery is 7mm longer as the N5 battery. There was already another thread here with exact battery sizes. No chance to get that in the N5 case

Last edited:
Reactions: sreerajsadanand

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    G2 battery installed (works - Disclaimer attached)

I'm going to necro this thread but I have somewhat an update - Summary near the bottom
    **EDIT**
    DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for the consequences from this mod. I am in no way responsible in the case where anyone is harmed or your device breaks. Those who are not aware of the risks and not familiar with hardware or electrical hardware are STRONGLY advised to avoid this mod.

High risk of electrical shock, chemical explosion, and device failure.

**END EDIT*

I'll update this post but I managed to fit it into my Nexus 5 with severe modifications and I am 90% positive I broke the speakerphone - It can be fixed but more on that when I update. <- Everything works

Background:
    I tried various orientations and configurations with the battery + backcase to get it to close but something had to go... like there isn't space. So I took out my handy dremel and picked a spot that'll give me the best chance to fit it in and can be fixed. I picked the speaker assembly, I reduced the size but I realized halfway that all I need to do is flatten the top of the speaker assembly (I found out that most of it is just plastic) there's a catch, near the metal piece by the speaker there's a flex cable and in my careless dremeling I cut it. Also at this moment the phone is not booting - keeps powering off but when I was checking voltages etc the battery only had 3.82v so it's likely drained and needs a charge - that or my phone is broken or there's something else going on.

Will update my stupid attempt to fit a slightly larger battery in this phone lol.

-- EDIT 1 --
    I got the phone to boot, I had one of the wires shorting by mistake when I put take over it. However the phone still powers off when the case is closed but when I have the case open it is fine. Looking into it maybe there's another short with the pressure on the case. Also, speaker wasn't damaged everything seems to be working fine when I tested the phone. Now, I gotta go back and check for shorts.

-- EDIT 2/3: Pic of the end result before closing the case I didn't close it because well it looks like any other nexus right?
    drTtFPs.jpg

Need to charge the camera since it had 0% when i took this lol but I'll take a picture of the speaker assembly and try to capture the amount of damage is apparently ok (YMMV)

*EDIT* For more pictures see here *END*

It does bulge a bit but not enough to prevent the back from closing. It is apparent it's bulging since it's a tighter fit in the case
    putting tape on the metal bits for the NFC prevents it from shutting down randomly (it must've caused the wires to short or something I'm not sure it's working now though so w.e

As a note as to why the speaker works... I did cut the ribbon! but it was barely attached still so I barely managed to not break it.

TL: DR;

- I cut into the speaker assembly and cut 50% of the speaker ribbon (so it works just by chance)
    - battery was oriented as pictured
    - I removed the ribbon connector on the battery
    - Soldered magnet wire from the terminal to the ribbon
    - Taped everything down
    - Used double sided tape to prevent shorts
    - put it all together
    - it bulges a bit but closes fine

Very dangerous I caused an extra battery I had to short and it almost burnt away

The question now is ... will it charge without exploding :eek: *I charged it a little and it seemed to work but I want to discharge fully first*.
    I fitted the 3200mah battery inside. I flipped it. Only thing that I needed to grind off was a bit of the speaker body. The ribbon inside is still okay and works fine. I used some old ide cable wires, but those aren't very good as they are thick and make the back cover bulging. :( Other than that it is perfect. I'll get some copper tape or thinner wires and should be okay. I calculated that maximum amperage is about 1A that phone could pull from battery, and then I need minimum 0,3mm thickness wires.

At first I had a prolbem that the phone would not turn on, but that was because the battery was empty. After charging it did come to life. Now I deleted batterystats and charged to full and I'll use it until it is empty.
    Here are some pics:

I discharged it completely. I left it playing some 12hour long video from youtube in wifi. I got 4h 8m screen on time. :) Stock rom+ElementalX 4.0.2+OC 2,5GHz. I'll try to take it to daily driver after some days of testing, then I'll see how different it is. :)
    Huge respect to the brave owner of the guinea pig device used to prove this works!
    All shall have Thanks!

Just ordered a G2 battery from eBay for £30. It's coming from the US though, can't find any here. As soon as it turns up I'll have a little play around :laugh:
    i thinks you can ^_^...god bless your nexus 5.

OBJECTIVE:
    2 AGO DAY.
    The objective of this project is to increase the battery capacity of the nexus 5 by swapping out the stock battery for a larger one, while still maintaining full functionality of the phone and maintaining the original form factor.
    ABSTRACT:
    A few days ago I say a post on this subreddit about the possibility of swapping the nexus 5 battery (2300Mah) with the battery from the lg g2 (3000Mah) after a quick search I found two documented instances of this mod being done example 1 and example 2 in the first example the mod caused the user to no longer be able to use wireless charging or NFC which was an unacceptable compromise for my project. the second example involved cutting away a portion of the lower speaker with a little bit of luck as far as not cutting through important ribbon cables which was again not a very acceptable procedure for me to follow. I borrowed from both examples to complete this project.
    EQUIPMENT:
    Nexus 5
    3000 Mah Battery from an lg G2
    Dremel
    Grinding stone bits
    Soldering iron
    Scissors
    Small screwdriver
    Plastic spudger
    Masking tape
    Compressed air
    Two part epoxy

PROCEDURE: I currently own 2 nexus 5 (32gb) phones one with a cracked screen, so I decided that I would repair the screen on my old nexus5 while simultaneously upgrading the battery. (the pictures are roughly in this same order)

Step 1: I orders a lg G2 battery and a screen digitizer assembly from etrade supply.
    Step 2: disassemble the phone using ifixit’s teardown guide, the spudger, and small screwdriver
    Step 3: remove the stickers and plastic components from each battery, exposing the circuit boards (be careful not to puncture the battery in any way!!!)
    Step 4: using a scissors cut the circuit boards off of each battery as close to the board as possible
    Step 5: solder the board from the nexus 5 battery to the G2 battery
    Step 6: cover the contacts on the board with a thin layer of 2 part epoxy (then set aside for now)
    Step 6: mask off the phone using tape to keep metal dust from getting on sensitive components
    Step 7: use a dremel to grind down the top battery-frame-support-rib as shown in the pictures
    Step 8: reassemble everything in the phone except the larger plastic shielding, using the compressed air to blow each part clean
    Step 9: using the dremel grind away plastic on the shielding to fit the new position of the circuit board and the battery plug
    Step 10: finish assembly
    Step 11: Boot and enjoy!
    RESULTS
    so far I havent blown anything up and the phone has had no problems. I flashed 5.1 and rooted it. everything still works including nfc, wireless charging, and vibration. the phone does not feel any different in the hand than before. the swap was successful!
    Link FULL PICTURES : : h..................ttp://imgur.com/a/naAvP (please Fix link. sorry i can't post link,not enough 10post ).

writer : nemgrea
    Site : reddit.com

GOOD LOOK TO YOU:good:
    why didn't you run the wires down the crack alongside the battery? That should help (?) with the bulge
    so how's it working?
    Is Qi charging still working?
    how's the screen on time battery life before/after?
    what wire gauge did you use? tad worried about connecting a 2.1A charger to it
    can you take a picture of the bulge on the back...
    I'm an electrical engineer with strong soldering experience. I want to do this. Mostly I'm worried I won't pry the battery cover off properly and it won't snap back in as tightly as before
    but...are you saying we have to swap the battery PCB from the N5 battery and move it to the G2 one?

The bulge is more from the charging circuit I didn't grind enough of the speaker but it close so I don't care too much about it. Also, the wire doesn't add more than 0.1mm to the thickness (well not exactly but it's very very thin).

It works well, I started with about 21% from 4-5 PM and it lasted until I think around 10 PM (I wasn't really expending it I turned a game on for a few minutes tho after a while to test if the wire can handle the heat from the battery which it did fine. I charged it to about 100% and reset it and it dropped instantly to 85% charged again to 100% and it dropped this time to 86% so I guess I need to charge it and leave it for a while - will see later. Right now I have The Hobbit (haven't watched it yet) playing on a loop (it's 20 minutes in right now) on 40% volume max brightness (720p video) (from 80% to 74% since I had it unplugged for about 1 hour half before starting the video).

Qi should work but I haven't tried, my Qi charger is downstairs on my other table but USB charging is faster anyways so I was trying that for time sake.

Testing currently - my SOT before the battery mod was terrible though but I think it's because the battery I was using was dead/dying/faulty. I can already tell this battery is much better than whatever I had before.

Bulge might not be noticeable via picture but I'll take a shot in later in the morning I'll be up all night waiting for the battery to die though.

No the battery cover comes off really easily if you use a pry tool. I take the back cover off a ton (just go around completely and it'll come off there's some double sided tape near the speaker/antenna portion though).

You don't need to swap parts from the original battery, the modification done is only on the new G2 battery.

The mod in detail related to battery:
    - Remove the tape from the G2 battery (start from the bottom corners and if you peel it properly it'll all come off in one go).
    - Bend the G2 charging circuit away to flatten it out and remove the black plastic cover (you can discard or leave it around)
    - Remove the G2 connector tab (the part that plugs into the socket on the G2 - well the nexus in our case)
    -- To do this the easiest method is the sloppy take a big solder blob and pull the tab out while the solder is hot. Then quickly take a desoldering pump and clean it up. Small sparks may occur in this step, it might be from touching the LiON tab by mistake.
    -- If you cleaned it up properly check the voltage on the charging circuit to ensure things are still OK. (3.7-4.2V is normal I believe).
    - Check the ribbon you just removed to ensure it won't short
    - Solder wire from the battery charging circuit to the ribbon connectors (as pictured), essentially though the wires connect to the same pins before you took it off.
    - Put some non-conductive tape over areas that may short. I put tape over the battery near the LiON tabs, over the PCB and over the solder points. I also put tape over the metal part for the Qi charging on the back cover.

- Grind the speaker assembly approx 1mm deep. Be careful as you approach the speaker portion of the speaker assembly there is a flex cable that will break easily. If leave about 1mm or 0.5mm space between the antenna you should have plenty of space for the charging circuit.
    - Put the battery in and ensure the flex cable for the front assembly makes it around to the battery. NOTE: I'd do yourself a favor and remove the freaking tape that holds the battery in. It makes the battery ridiculously difficult to remove so don't bother with it.
    - Slide the speaker assembly between the charging circuit and where it should go.
    - Screw the speaker assembly into place, and ensure the circuit has proper space, best case is it'll be flush with the speaker assembly, worst case it'll be 0.5mm-1mm above the speaker assembly.
    - Put together the rest of the phone. It should all fit in.

On the note of screen on time testing. Does anyone have a good method? I don't think my method will be very accurate.