[Q] Have I installed Clockworkmod or not?

Search This thread

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I've been following instructions to install Android 4.4 KitKat on Galaxy Mega 6.3 via Cyanogenmod 11.
My device has been rooted for some time, but I have never before installed any ROMs.
I have successfully (it seems) installed Clockworkmod via Odin, yet when I boot into Custom recovery mod, there is no "backup and restore" option, and indeed I seem to be in "Android system recovery", not CWM recovery (see screenshot).
I know that I can't install Cyanogenmod without Clockworkmod on board, so I'm nervous to proceed. Can anyone please advise?

Attachments

• AID_9428.jpg
    AID_9428.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 312

jzsidebott

Apr 23, 2011
I've been following instructions to install Android 4.4 KitKat on Galaxy Mega 6.3 via Cyanogenmod 11.
My device has been rooted for some time, but I have never before installed any ROMs.
I have successfully (it seems) installed Clockworkmod via Odin, yet when I boot into Custom recovery mod, there is no "backup and restore" option, and indeed I seem to be in "Android system recovery", not CWM recovery (see screenshot).
I know that I can't install Cyanogenmod without Clockworkmod on board, so I'm nervous to proceed. Can anyone please advise?

That looks like the standard recovery, not clockwork mod, what model of mega do you have?

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
You have to reboot to recovery first after flashing custom recovery. That's because the stock ROM checks if the recovery is changed and overwrites it with the stock recovery again.

Rebooting to recovery first will solve the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for responding guys.

Jzsidebott: It's a Mega 6.3, GT-I9205, in England.

Silesh.Nair: I've installed "ROM Manager" and used "Reboot into recovery", but I get to the same place as before; "Android system recovery <3e>", exactly as the screenshot in my first post.
So I used Odin again, and again apparently successfully installed "GT-I9205-recovery.tar", but still I can only get standard recovery.

Could I ask you guys if you would recommend CyanogenMod Installer?
http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install
I'm a newbie at this, so if this method is considered safe I'd be happy to go down that route. Any advice? Cheers.

Last edited:

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
Don't use ROM manager. Download the cwm tar file and use Odin to flash. Remember to untick auto reboot in Odin and then reboot to recovery first. It will work for sure. Don't flash anything if you are running Knox enabled firmware else you'll screw up your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Thanks. As I said I did use Odin to flash. I just installed ROM Manager afterwards to try to find out whether the Odin Flash had worked. I am a newbie at this and to be honest I have no idea what Knox enabled firmware is or whether I'm running it. I think that for safety's sake I'd best drop the whole thing and not risk bricking my phone, but thank you all for the help all the same.