Cm9/ics ad-hoc fix

Search This thread

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
JIUI v4(MIUI v4) & JWP7(Windows Phone 7 MOD): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26890050#post26890050

cm9 does not support ad-hoc because ics doen not provide that facility. But we can create a virtual router and share the wifi from our laptop.

1.Download virtual router(you can google it. version:0.9 beta).

2.Install it in your system.Open it.

3.Now open command promt as administrator and type this

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=android key=TYPE YOUR PASSWORD

press enter.

4.Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press enter. Now you hava created a virtual router.

5.Open network and sharing center. it will display your lan network which is connected to internet.

6.Click on Local area connection and select properties. A new window will open.

7.Select sharing from that window. There will be something called Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet. Click on the Checkbox.

8.Select the network. Usually it will be wireless network connection 2. If not select wireless network connection.

9.Hit ok. Now you will be able to share your internet connection via wifi.

ANY BROKEN LINKS!! PLEASE REPORT.

Last edited:

fartlec

Sep 23, 2011
yeah, that's great. but what if i use ubuntu and my wireless card is not supported by hostapd? haven't found a working wpa_supplicant for my ics-sed galaxy s yet, so i'll stick to gb for the time being..:(

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
I have DEFY i changed wpa_supplicant but no use same result only:( and wifi tether does work but no apps support the internet connection recevied through wifi tether:(. Some one has to change the script, its in the hands of developers. So far what i posted before works. Will try to figure our something and will let you know.:)

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
yeah, that's great. but what if i use ubuntu and my wireless card is not supported by hostapd? haven't found a working wpa_supplicant for my ics-sed galaxy s yet, so i'll stick to gb for the time being..:(

I am not big fan of UBUNTU but found this. Give it a try and say if it works.

In Ubuntu 10.04, it seems extremely easy to have this hostapd work. First, of course, you need to install it. It is already in the official repositories. Just run this in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install hostapd
Then, open a text editor program, for example gedit. Copy the following into it.

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=
channel=1
hw_mode=g
auth_algs=1
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

Please don’t forget to fill in the name of your network after “ssid=”, as well as the password after “wpa_passphrase=”.

After all these, save the file as hostapd.conf in your home folder.

Now, in your terminal:

sudo hostapd hostapd.conf

Turn the wifi connection on in your devices and enjoy the fast network share!

Reactions: ehsan_yany

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
cm9 does not support ad-hoc because ics doen not provide that facility. But we can create a virtual router and share the wifi from our laptop.

press enter.

4.Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press enter. Now you hava created a virtual router.

5.Open network and sharing center. it will display your lan network which is connected to internet.

7.Select sharing from that window. There will be something called Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet. Click on the Checkbox.

8.Select the network. Usually it will be wireless network connection 2. If not select wireless network connection.

This works only on windows platform. Tested on Windows 7 ultimate x64.

fartlec

Sep 23, 2011
@ janeindiran

yeah, thanks, already did it. long story short: nl80211 driver does not work, guys @ linuxwireless are working on a functional broadcom4313 driver, which is, by chance, my wireless card. Good news is that they're working on it, so there's still hope.
ps can agree on ubuntu, but i'm a dumbass and it was my first choice to move from windows! ;)

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
yeah, thanks, already did it. long story short: nl80211 driver does not work, guys @ linuxwireless are working on a functional broadcom4313 driver, which is, by chance, my wireless card. Good news is that they're working on it, so there's still hope.
ps can agree on ubuntu, but i'm a dumbass and it was my first choice to move from windows! ;)

If you find any fix please do post it here. I will try to find a fix for it.

Chest3r

Aug 23, 2011
this is just an pc solution.. i can't connect to my mobile Wlan ad hoc hotspot with my ics phone :(

fartlec

Sep 23, 2011
don't know if anyone is interested yet, but i've found out that wifi ad hoc support is a bit troublesome in ics. wpa_supplicant does not make the job, as it is also kernel related. starting from 20120506 nightly, cm9 does support ad hoc wifi (at least in galaxy s). of course, custom kernels have to be based on this stock to make the job. Onestly, this is the only way i found to make it work in ics

janeindiran

Nov 13, 2011
Coimbatore
It's not working on all WINDOWS .
Virtual Router doesn't work on XP :(.
Commands netsh wlan star hostednetwork etc, doesn't work too .. :/

Run the command prompt as Administrator. If you open that application and if you try to create via that application that application it won't work. Open that application minimize it and then use those commands in command prompt. It will work fine. One more thing after hosting Virtual Router, you have to do few configurations in your control panel to share wifi.

ardalaan

Apr 9, 2011
Shiraz
how about the gingerbread version ?!
i am using JIUI GB and my phone doesnt see the AD-HOC network that i created !

petesuen

Sep 22, 2010
Run the command prompt as Administrator. If you open that application and if you try to create via that application that application it won't work. Open that application minimize it and then use those commands in command prompt. It will work fine. One more thing after hosting Virtual Router, you have to do few configurations in your control panel to share wifi.

But the software Virtual Router is stated as for Windows 7, and not XP.:(:(:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    JIUI v4(MIUI v4) & JWP7(Windows Phone 7 MOD): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26890050#post26890050

press enter.

ANY BROKEN LINKS!! PLEASE REPORT.

I am not big fan of UBUNTU but found this. Give it a try and say if it works.

In Ubuntu 10.04, it seems extremely easy to have this hostapd work. First, of course, you need to install it. It is already in the official repositories. Just run this in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get install hostapd
    Then, open a text editor program, for example gedit. Copy the following into it.

interface=wlan0
    driver=nl80211
    ssid=
    channel=1
    hw_mode=g
    auth_algs=1
    wpa=3
    wpa_passphrase=
    wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
    rsn_pairwise=CCMP

Please don’t forget to fill in the name of your network after “ssid=”, as well as the password after “wpa_passphrase=”.

After all these, save the file as hostapd.conf in your home folder.

Now, in your terminal:

sudo hostapd hostapd.conf

Turn the wifi connection on in your devices and enjoy the fast network share!