[Q] how to make nook think sideloaded was downloaded

Search This thread
I repeat, unless B&N don't have a copy of your purchase, you will face errors of not finding metadata...
One more thing. Have you manually tried filling up the metadata on the book you copied in Products db? Don't set the syncing to take place. Mark it as 0.

That seems to be the case. It's not that the metadata isn't on your device, because I compared the entry for the other books in the products table to the one I made, and there didn't seem to be any extra info in the other entries that the one I made lacked, besides for the category, page_count, short_synopsis, seriesTitle and soldBy columns, and I really don't understand why they would be relevant to sharing. Every other column of note - ean, productEAN, isbn, locker_delivery_id, luid, date_published, date_accessed, date_modified I manually added values to myself. So it looks like it might be that unless B&N's servers have a record of the 'sale' - at least the download of the sample - well, no sharing will take place. Even if you do use your method, like you say, something seems to be screwy with metadata, as this happens:

fbshare.png

Clicking the sync button doesn't seem to be necessary to get anything to work and also doesn't seem to change the entry I made in the products table at all. But I think that the Library.apk does need to be restarted, so after any change to the db, I reboot the Nook.
As for what version of the 'Nook app' I have - I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have a Nook Glow on 1.1.5 with guevor's kernel.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

EDIT: one last thing - whenever I open either the 'first' or 'second' copies of 'The Old Man and the Sea' off of a cold boot, I simply get a black screen, and have to go back to the Library and click the book again. I'm not sure if that has to do with anything I'm doing or if it's because of the guevor's kernel (which I just installed)

this does indeed seem to be an issue with the kernel or something - every time I start the device, the first book I open via the Library just kind of hangs, and requires me to go back to the Library and select a book again.

Last edited:

gadgetroid

Feb 21, 2012
Mysore
gadgetroid.wordpress.com
gadgetdroid's workaround does, indeed give you sharing capabilities.
But this happened when I tried to share to facebook:

clicking 'more' in order to have metadata and summary come up yields 'service unavailable'.
Also, the sample books on my Nook get saved to /sdcard/B&N Downloads/Books/ (symlinked /data/media to /sdcard, so pretend it's /data/media for the rest of you who didn't make that change)
Still I count this as progress. I'm not sure if simply adding a line to the products db on scan is the answer because the products db has so many more columns than the docs db but I'ma try it and see what happens.

I just found this out. You have to enable "Share to Facebook" while converting the book in Calibre. Note that enabling this option disables the syncing.

gadgetroid

Feb 21, 2012
Mysore
gadgetroid.wordpress.com
That seems to be the case. It's not that the metadata isn't on your device, because I compared the entry for the other books in the products table to the one I made, and there didn't seem to be any extra info in the other entries that the one I made lacked, besides for the category, page_count, short_synopsis, seriesTitle and soldBy columns, and I really don't understand why they would be relevant to sharing. Every other column of note - ean, productEAN, isbn, locker_delivery_id, luid, date_published, date_accessed, date_modified I manually added values to myself. So it looks like it might be that unless B&N's servers have a record of the 'sale' - at least the download of the sample - well, no sharing will take place. Even if you do use your method, like you say, something seems to be screwy with metadata, as this happens:

fbshare.png

Clicking the sync button doesn't seem to be necessary to get anything to work and also doesn't seem to change the entry I made in the products table at all. But I think that the Library.apk does need to be restarted, so after any change to the db, I reboot the Nook.
As for what version of the 'Nook app' I have - I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have a Nook Glow on 1.1.5 with guevor's kernel.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

this does indeed seem to be an issue with the kernel or something - every time I start the device, the first book I open via the Library just kind of hangs, and requires me to go back to the Library and select a book again.

Can you confirm if syncing between various devices work with the workaround I mentioned? I messed around with a few calibre plugins and I'm in the process of making one sends a copy of the updated Products.db each time you copy a book over to the nook. Of course, you'll have to manually copy the Products.db file over to the relevant folder on the Nook for it to take effect. Personally, I feel that this is too much of work, and I'm looking for a simpler process.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Seriously? That's it? Do we still have to follow the rest od the steps?

As far as I'm aware, it worked for the last book I tried. Yes, we do unfortunately have to follow the rest of the steps, because I worked on a Calibre converted ebook with the sharing option turned on for the Products.db experiment. Can you tell me how you managed to pull the SQLite files from the Nook using ADB? It would be easier to edit them on the computer. :)

persichini

Dec 2, 2010
DFW
As far as I'm aware, it worked for the last book I tried. Yes, we do unfortunately have to follow the rest of the steps, because I worked on a Calibre converted ebook with the sharing option turned on for the Products.db experiment. Can you tell me how you managed to pull the SQLite files from the Nook using ADB? It would be easier to edit them on the computer. :)

/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db

Reactions: gadgetroid

gadgetroid

Feb 21, 2012
Mysore
gadgetroid.wordpress.com
Well you just "adb pull" the internal.db file to your desktop, and then use sqlite3 or whatever editor you use to mess with it. If you've been editing it already then you must know where it is; I don't know off the top of my head and don't have my Nook here

Yes, I do know where they are. I did all the editing on the phone so far, and I just set up ADB and Android SDK.

Thanks! I got the file. :) Installed SQLiteman. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize I may be bumping this thread, but I figured that it was worth it. I worked around with a few of the files and I figured out everything now. I can get my side-loaded books to show up in the My Books section. Thanks to OP to giving me the hint about the database files. :good:

My method requires you to download a sample of the book you want to side load from the Nook Store ( remember, a sample; not the book. Samples are free.) The database files contain the metadata info. Copy the filename of the sample you have downloaded( this will be in \sdcard\Nook\Content). Copy over the ePub you want to side load and rename the file with the name of the sample downloaded. Going into the Nook app, you can now see that the sample in the Library has been replaced with the full version of the book.

Head over to Android Market and buy the SQLite Editor. Once that's done, open up the app and click on B&N Nook( or something to that effect, since I don't remember it exactly). Head into products, and scroll sideways until you come across "isSample". ( Please look into the column or row for your book.) For your sample book, the value will be set to 1. For the purchased books, it'll be zero. Just long click on that cell and edit the value and set it to 0. Click back, exit out of the app and launch the Nook app.

You can now see that the "Sample" logo from the sample book is gone. Voila! Sample books have all the privileges of the full book purchased from the B&N Store. The B&N Store has an abysmal selection of books, so I prefer buying my books from elsewhere and then using them on B&N app. That's the best app I've found for Android so far.

I haven't got the syncing to work yet. I just got onto my tablet, and I don't feel like going through the whole process again. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know. Side note: I also got "Internal errors" upon launching the app. I believe this is because of me updating the database files and B&N not having a copy of the update. But the app obeys the local copy present, so I' m not too worried about that at the moment.

Can the OP look into this on the Nook tablet? I can confirm this works on the normal Android tablets, but I'm not so sure of the Nook tablet. Maybe it can be run from the CM ROMs?
    Well you just "adb pull" the internal.db file to your desktop, and then use sqlite3 or whatever editor you use to mess with it. If you've been editing it already then you must know where it is; I don't know off the top of my head and don't have my Nook here