[ROM] Inspire 4G Stock Rom w/Root, HSUPA, and Sideloading

Search This thread

angelchen1111

Aug 14, 2009
Last updated 2/28/2011

This is a pure stock rom with root+hsupa+sideload.

Warning: the following steps to flash the rom will wipe your data.

- Use HTC Inspire Hack Kit or some other way to get S-off so that you can flash custom roms.
- Download the rom, rename it to PD98IMG.zip, put it to the sdcard.
- Go to Settings -> Applications, turn off fast boot and then power down the phone.
- Boot into hboot by pressing volume down + power button and flash.

After flashing you should have a pure stock rom rooted, with hsupa on, and sideloading as an option. I don't have any problem with this rom while I got superuser permission, sideloading back on and noticed a higher upload speed.

Some people report to have problem with ClockWorkMod recovery on the stock rom. You can try the suggestion from this thread.

Link for the ROM: http://www.multiupload.com/93I04ACXYU

Attachments

• aboutphone.jpg
    aboutphone.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,918
  • hsupa.jpg
    hsupa.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,230
  • sideloading.jpg
    sideloading.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 3,176
Last edited:

angelchen1111

Aug 14, 2009
--------------------------------

Below are the steps that I took to made this rom, you can ignore it if you are not interested into know how to cook system.img or hack a rom.

I basically added the root files to the system.img and change ro.ril.hsxpa=1 inside of the build.prop file to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 to make hsupa work, edit the customize/CID/default.xml file and change <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in settings, no need to flash any custom radio or kernel.

Here's how to do it:
- Download the RUU for the stock rom.
- Open the RUU you downloaded, wait for the screen that says Welcome to the Rom Update Utility to come out, but don't flash yet!
- Navigate to the temporary folder and locate rom.zip, which is a file that the installer extracted. I found it by navigating the folder with the most recent Date modified.
- Copy rom.zip to some other folder. This is the zip file which you can use on the phone to flash back to stock.
- Extract android-info.txt and system.img from rom.zip and put system.img in a place where Linux can access.

Right now for the cooking part linux is required. I used Ubuntu to do it.
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/system
sudo mount -o loop,norelatime /path to/system.img /mnt/system

Code:
nano /mnt/system/build.prop
update ro.ril.hsxpa to 3 to enable hsupa

You also need the root files busybox, su, and Superuser.apk, which can be found at ace-hack-kit-v002/tools/root

Code:
sudo

cp /path to root files/busybox /mnt/system/xbin/busybox
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/xbin/busybox

cp /path to root files/Superuser.apk /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 644 /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /path to root files/su /mnt/system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/bin/su

nano /mnt/system/customize/CID/default.xml
(update <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in the menu.)

umount /mnt/system

Right now you have a cooked system.img

- extract all files from rom.zip, replace system.img with the one we just cooked, then put all the files back to a new zip named PD98IMG.zip.

Last edited:

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Couldn't you post your cooked PD98IMG.zip for us? Shouldn't it work for all Inspire devices if it was taken from the official RUU? ;)

angelchen1111

Aug 14, 2009
it is very big, hold down. The phone needs to be S-off first in order to flash.

Last edited:

angelchen1111

Aug 14, 2009
Here's the link [removed]. Revert back to stock after being S-off to flash it. Also flashing system.img seem to factory reset the phone, so back up your data inside of your phone if any before flashing.

Last edited:

IsraelR

Oct 20, 2010
I just tried it and it did give me root access. Upload speeds are still crappy for me. It was worth the time just for root access. Thanks!

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
so let me ask a question. If someone were to use temp root with say visionary, can S-off be set from there without a gold card?

farmercyst

Nov 28, 2010
I found a way to enable hsupa and root the phone on the stock rom by "cooking" system.img from the stock rom and flash it over after the phone has been S-off and returned to stock.
I basically added the root files to the system.img and change ro.ril.hsxpa=1 inside of the build.prop file to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 to make hsupa work, no need to flash any custom radio or kernel.

Here's how to did it (this still looks kind like rough draft, I don't know if someone can help me to edit this to make it better or if I can put it up to wiki):
- use HTC Inspire Hack Kit or some other way to get S-off so that you can flash custom roms.
- Open the RUU you downloaded, wait for the screen that says Welcome to the Rom Update Utility to come out, but don't flash yet!
- Navigate to the temporary folder and locate rom.zip, which is a file that the installer extracted. I found it by navigating the folder with the most recent Date modified.
- Copy rom.zip to some other folder. This is the zip file which you can use on the phone to flash back to stock.
- After done copying rom.zip proceed with RUU to flash back to stock.
- Extract android-info.txt and system.img from rom.zip and put system.img in a place where Linux can access.

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/system

use an editor to edit /mnt/system/build.prop and update ro.ril.hsxpa to 3 to enable hsupa

You also need the root files busybox, su, and Superuser.apk, which can be found at ace-hack-kit-v002/tools/root

Code:
sudo

umount /mnt/system

put android-info.txt and the cooked system.img to a zip named PD98IMG.zip and put it to the sd card.

boot into hboot by pressing volume down and power button and flash.

After flashing you should have a pure stock rom rooted and with hsupa on. I don't have any problem with this rom while I got superuser permission and noticed a higher upload speed.

The install was fine and i have not had any fc yet. the only problem that i have is that i cant install non market apps. any suggestions on how to allow restore from titanium backup?

angelchen1111

Aug 14, 2009
The install was fine and i have not had any fc yet. the only problem that i have is that i cant install non market apps. any suggestions on how to allow restore from titanium backup?

Once it is rooted, it is trivial to enable sideloading.

Code:
adb shell
su
busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
exit
exit
adb pull /sdcard/settings.db settings.db
echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db
adb push settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
adb shell
su
busybox cp /sdcard/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chmod 660 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
exit
exit
After thar reboot and you should have sideloading
if it says command not found, try to append busybox in front of the commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: farmercyst

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Guess I will be going this route in the meantime as well. Can't handle the "tinny" audio in DHD ROMs.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Reactions: muthabusser

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
So with the way you have this setup as of right now, it only works with a computer running the Linux OS?

Sent from my Inspire 4G.

IsraelR

Oct 20, 2010
Once it is rooted, it is trivial to enable sideloading.

Code:
adb shell
su
cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
exit
exit
adb pull /sdcard/settings.db settings.db
echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db
adb push settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chmod 666 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
After thar reboot and you should have sideloading
if it says command not found, try to append busybox in front of the commands.

After "cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db", I get "cp: not found".

Jgen

Mar 30, 2009
centennial colorado
after using this method getting everything setup I ran across one issue so far
ROM manager "clockworkmod" issue ,,when rebooting into recovery, screen freaks out white then fading to black ,wait for a while & nothing ,hit power button phone reboots like nothing happend.

mj0528

Feb 10, 2011
Austin, Tx
i wish you guys would enlighten me! I guess it's hard for a noob to get any help! Maybe I should just go back to modmyi and be a snob.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last updated 2/28/2011

This is a pure stock rom with root+hsupa+sideload.

Warning: the following steps to flash the rom will wipe your data.

- Use HTC Inspire Hack Kit or some other way to get S-off so that you can flash custom roms.
    - Download the rom, rename it to PD98IMG.zip, put it to the sdcard.
    - Go to Settings -> Applications, turn off fast boot and then power down the phone.
    - Boot into hboot by pressing volume down + power button and flash.

After flashing you should have a pure stock rom rooted, with hsupa on, and sideloading as an option. I don't have any problem with this rom while I got superuser permission, sideloading back on and noticed a higher upload speed.

Some people report to have problem with ClockWorkMod recovery on the stock rom. You can try the suggestion from this thread.

Link for the ROM: http://www.multiupload.com/93I04ACXYU

Below are the steps that I took to made this rom, you can ignore it if you are not interested into know how to cook system.img or hack a rom.

I basically added the root files to the system.img and change ro.ril.hsxpa=1 inside of the build.prop file to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 to make hsupa work, edit the customize/CID/default.xml file and change <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in settings, no need to flash any custom radio or kernel.

Here's how to do it:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/system

Code:
    nano /mnt/system/build.prop
    update ro.ril.hsxpa to 3 to enable hsupa

Code:
    sudo

nano /mnt/system/customize/CID/default.xml
    (update <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in the menu.)

umount /mnt/system

- extract all files from rom.zip, replace system.img with the one we just cooked, then put all the files back to a new zip named PD98IMG.zip.

Here are the simplified instructions for you guys who don't want to do all of the Linux stuff yourself:

edit: Moved to its own thread here.
    Has anyone lost root access with this rom?

I had root, then all the sudden SU started force closing. At first Fix Permissions in ROM manage helped. Now Root check is reporting I no longer have root?

Any idears?

I tried to update SU, maybe that buggered things up. Can no longer fun Fix Permissions either. That cause a SU FC...:(

the reason you are having problems is because you have udated SU. the version that is in my rom is patched to work with the new HTC Sense, no other versions will work in this rom. you can fix this by unzipping my rom and going to system/app/Superuser.apk and system/bin/su and copy those files to the same folders on your phone.