[ROM] [CyanogenMod 10] Jelly Bean for HTC G1 - 4.1.1 Pre-Alpha by SoCal Devs [Video]

Search This thread

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
I don't see a lot of possibility for this to be actually usable as a daily ROM. For the small number of people who actually use this as their daily phone, froyo is still the best and they know it. And yes I did do it first, but that's not why I did it. I did it for the novelty and the truth that it can be done.

Mtd 128

Jcarrz1

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
I'm pretty sure it depends on the developers, not on the age of the device.
True but I was trying to point out that newer devices are waiting for builds that G1 gets pretty quick...
I don't see a lot of possibility for this to be actually usable as a daily ROM. For the small number of people who actually use this as their daily phone, froyo is still the best and they know it. And yes I did do it first, but that's not why I did it. I did it for the novelty and the truth that it can be done.

Jcarrz1
It's hard to tell but is project butter+gpu acceleration functional in this pre-alpha?

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com

Mtd 128

Jcarrz1

I'm sorry if I may be sounding rude, I was just a little upset when ICS was never updated ever again, that's all. Good work :)

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
I'm pretty sure it depends on the developers, not on the age of the device.

I'd say it depends on how many developers, the experience level of the developers, the amount of free time those developers have, the willingness of the developers to work on something that might not be worth the effort, random luck, and openness of the device.

And unicorns. can't forget the unicorns.

I really wish I had internet right now.... can't wait to get my hands on the source.

Last edited:
Reactions: NuroSlam

almostthere

Mtd 128

Jcarrz1

It can be done is one thing but seeing thru it is another. Don't dangle a carrot in front of us and then leave it just as that. All we're asking for is a workable unit which we can call out and maybe get data on it. Forget about Project Butter as G1 will never meet the requisite basics but at least you had something going for the ICS build and was usable for a week until no new updates especially the screen orientation was was sorted out.

faZevoLv

Mar 12, 2012
Nantwich
FYI, jelly bean is a much smoother, optimised version of ics and with the latest jelly bean nightlys, people have said it runs smoother than ics over in the hero forums.
Well done jcarrz for releasing this for the g1, I never thought it would even reach GB!
Oh and if you need help with getting things fixed such as mobile network (if it doesnt work yet) then ask shelnutt2 in the hero cdma forum, he's a nice guy :)

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx

Mtd 128

Jcarrz1

I object to the Froyo statement. After updating to the newest radio I can't find a decent cm6 or Froyo that I am happy with. I am running gingerbread Rom on my everyday phone with no problems.

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk 2

alex_camacho

Dec 8, 2010
Unbelievable!!! I'm now mostly convinced that companies say a device is no longer supported simply because of money. Kind of like, "oh you don't want this old device anymore because we cant support it anymore... it just cant handle the new updates", and yet here is the G1; the first android phone in the US running JB.
I wonder if sprint and other companies see this and think, "damn they're on to us; they know what these old devices are really capable of. They aren't going to want to update"
I think this is absolutely AWESOME!!! keep up the great work.

Reactions: dreamwave

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com
Unbelievable!!! I'm now mostly convinced that companies say a device is no longer supported simply because of money. Kind of like, "oh you don't want this old device anymore because we cant support it anymore... it just cant handle the new updates", and yet here is the G1; the first android phone in the US running JB.
I wonder if sprint and other companies see this and think, "damn they're on to us; they know what these old devices are really capable of. They aren't going to want to update"
I think this is absolutely AWESOME!!! keep up the great work.

As much as I'd love to agree, this is not the case with the G1. Companies depend on the user expierience rather than the latest firmware to keep users happy. In case you haven't noticed, the G1 is old as a dinosaur. While OEM's could put in the time and effort to make the drivers, with old hardware it will never be as fast as the older firmware unless Android itself becomes faster and more efficient. So yes, it will run, but no matter how hard we or HTC tries, it will never be able to run as fast as older firmware without sacrificing the entire user experience. Now wait a second and think, this is not HTC's fault. HTC should not have to spend the time and money to write new drivers for an unsupported device. That defies all logic. It may help though of they released the original driver sources, but even a petition won't force a company to release copyrighted code which may serve as a template for newer devices. They spend the time and money to create it, it should not be free.

We must face the facts when this topic comes up. Companies genuinely want everyone to run the latest and greatest firmware, but sacrifices are not worth taking just for enthusiasts. And yes, we may get newer firmware booting faster than an OEM, but notice how OEM's don't have "To-Do", "Not Working", and "Known Bugs" lists. They don't even ask for bug reports. If you want an OEM that tailors to all enthusiast needs, then look elsewhere and find an OEM that does so.

The G1 cannot support ICS/JB. It will run, but half of it will not work. It is not meant for daily use and anyone with any kind of sense wouldn't use ICS/JB as a daily driver. If you want to use your phone, then use GB or below. If you want to play with your phone flash ICS and above.

/rant

So any news on an update?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: AndDiSa

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
All we need for ics to be usable is hw acceleration. there's patches and fixes for cm9 that would help significantly, but I haven't merged them in yet.

I think ics might be mostly usable once we get that fixed. Camera is a different story....

Open source drivers would make this significantly better. We'd just have to update them to work with what android wants. If only....

Reactions: NuroSlam

faZevoLv

Mar 12, 2012
Nantwich
All we need for ics to be usable is hw acceleration. there's patches and fixes for cm9 that would help significantly, but I haven't merged them in yet.

I think ics might be mostly usable once we get that fixed. Camera is a different story....

Open source drivers would make this significantly better. We'd just have to update them to work with what android wants. If only....

These drivers worked well in early ICS roms for the htc hero gsm and it doubled performance and made the statusbar pulldown flawless!
However, i tried them on my CM10 rom and i couldnt see anything on the screen, but i could hear the unlock sound, maybe you can use them?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526920

got556

Sep 6, 2011
Chicago
As someone looking to get a G1 here to play around with. I just want to say thank you for making this happen.

Who cares if it's slow or laggy. It's not a matter of "why" but more of a "why not" :D

This is like taking a 2012 Shelby GT500 motor and dumping it in a '64 1/2 Mustang.

Sure the balance of the 64.5 will be off, sure it will be damn near useless, but bragging rights my man, is what I would be doing. Secondly you'd look damn cool in the process.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a working CM10 port of Jelly Bean to the HTC G1, the first android phone!

nMKBZ.png

Remember, we are not responsible if you brick your phone. You must have proper 2708 SPL and radio. Follow the guide!

Special thanks: CyanogenMod team, Shelnutt2

Working
    Touchscreen
    WiFi
    Apps
    CM features
    Google Now - partial

Not Working Yet
    Cell/Data
    Rotation

Video

BlackDownloadButtonNewReflection.png

Pre-Alpha http://www.scienceprousa.com/socaldevs/cm-10-20120808-EXPERIMENTAL-dream.zip

Install Guide http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19735858&postcount=111 thanks almostthere! use mtd 132​
    The ROM download is up
    As someone looking to get a G1 here to play around with. I just want to say thank you for making this happen.

Why would you want to get a g1? Its the first android phone. You can only run every version of aosp android, cm, and aokp on it. There aren't many other varieties of roms besides sense, miui, blur (buried in the forums) and soon Firefox os and I think a few others. Our devs only check the forums every few hours. People like jcarrz just randomly drop pieces of awesome without any pattern telling you when it might happen. You can only find roms still supported based on recent versions of android, the older ones are just too frikin stable to be fun. Where is the fun in that?

/sarcasm

I hope people understand my sarcasm. I'm really bad at it.
    On an unrelated note, I can't find sources for this. :/

Mtd 128

Jcarrz1