[MOD][CM10] Enable On Screen Nav Soft Keys/Disable Capacitive/Home Buttons

Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
This is a Mod I did for CM10
It will enable the on screen navigation soft keys. it will also disable the capacitive buttons AND the home button.

I used the Framework-res.apk from the CM 10 Preview 6 build.

This will NOT disable the capacitive lights, just the keys themselves. To disable the lights go to settings -> Advanced -> Screen and uncheck "Backlight"

Why did I do this mod?
Well, I really liked the on screen nav buttons on the GNEX. At the time I had the Galaxy S II and enabled them with AOKP but as much as I liked them I hated losing the screen real estate on the 4.3 inch screen. When I got the GS3 I felt the screen was big enough to give up a little screen RE for the nav buttons. I also did it because when I play games or hold my phone in landscape I would accidently hit the capacitive buttons so this mod also eliminated that for me

EDIT: Member NemesisRE Has posted a way to universally do this on CM 10 and other roms! Taking this mod a step further and making it easy on me so I wouldnt have to do the mod every time the CM 10 FW changed:

From NemesisRE's post(http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29677762&postcount=98)

Based upon the work of graffixnyc and labbe- I made a Script that searches for the entries and changes them. All other entries (if there are others) are not affected!
Script doesn´t need BusyBox binary so its a very small Package. No Framework-res.apk is added so it should be universal.
Please make a Backup before you try this! And report if working!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAV_Only: none of the hardware keys are enabled (except Volume and Power)
NAV_HomeWake: Home button wakes device but has no other function
NAV_HomeCamera: Home button opens Camera and takes Pictures but has no other function
NAV_StockKeys: Functions as normal but with on Screen Navbar
NAV_Remove: Removes the mod

Install Instructions:
- Boot into recovery
- flash with CWM
- reboot

This should work on any device with the same keybindings:

Code:

Code:
key 172	HOME
key 158	BACK
key 139	MENU

In the this files:
Code:

Code:
/system/usr/keylayout/sec_touchkey.kl
/system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl

Code:

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Mod
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
 */
Cheers
Steven

Last edited:

labbe-

Jun 4, 2012
Turku
wow, finally! i tried to do this in cm9 but got huge errors on recompiling the framework-res on files i didnt even touch. this forced me to use slim ics which was a bummer because it lags so much behind on cm nightlies.. i just HATE the home key :banghead:

also this allows me to remap the home key to camera so it is meta in connectbot which sppeds up using irssi quite a bit ^^

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Pootie_

Aug 14, 2011
Auckland
Thanks heaps for making this. The first file flashes fine however the second file keeps returning an error. I would really like to use the home button to wake from sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Reactions: Pootie_

Pootie_

Aug 14, 2011
Auckland
Sorry. I cannot recall the error message. Something about a missing file. I tried the new link/file and it works perfectly. Thanks for your super quick help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

labbe-

Jun 4, 2012
Turku
@OP, is there any way to see from the cm10 changelog if the framework-res has been edited in any way? i know i could look it up from source but i am unsure how..

just asking because im about to flash todays build and wondering if applying this will break anything.. think ill make a nandroid just in case

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
@OP, is there any way to see from the cm10 changelog if the framework-res has been edited in any way? i know i could look it up from source but i am unsure how..

just asking because im about to flash todays build and wondering if applying this will break anything.. think ill make a nandroid just in case

Hi he latest CM10 preview is boot looping when installing the zip. Thanks love your work for the ROM is incomplete without it.

:)

I will update it in a few with the new preview 7 frame work. I'm currently working on doing a couple different variations.

I have the one where all buttons are disabled and where the home button wakes (the other home button functions are still working so I'm trying to figure that out)

another variation I'm working on this second is to remap menu to the home button so the home button acts as the menu key instead. the issue I'm trying to figure out now is when I do this, The long press on the capactive menu button is enabled even when a short press is disabled. Once I figure out these too issues (getting the home button to ONLY wake the device and getting it so a long press of the menu cap button doesnt do anything) I will just update the FW for preview 7 which should only take me a few minutes

mormegil

Oct 23, 2005
Installing this caused my APNs to disappear and unable to create new ones.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

There is NO WAY this mod could delete your APN's as it doesnt touch anything with the APN's. All it does is set one flag from true to false in the framework-res.apk file which only sets to show the nav to true. The other files it mods are the keylayout files which again have nothing to do with APN's So I would look for another culprit to point the finger at

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets

Well I sneezed today and I noticed a dent in my car - but I hardly think the two are related. Maybe you should provide more information as to what you did and what you're running - because this has absolutely NOTHING to do with your issue.

mormegil

Oct 23, 2005
Well, I didn't believe it at first myself so I reproduced it with fresh install of CM10.

1. Installed mod via recovery
2. APNs gone

However...

3. Wiped cache and delvik-cache
4. APNs are back up

All is good now :)

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Well, I didn't believe it at first myself so I reproduced it with fresh install of CM10.

1. Installed mod via recovery
2. APNs gone

However...

3. Wiped cache and delvik-cache
4. APNs are back up

All is good now :)

I know a few days ago (not sure if it was preview 3 or 4) I had issues with APN's it didnt delete them, but I couldnt add any or edit them. It could be a glitch with CM 10 as it seems like there are a number of issues it has that a cache wipe solves

mormegil

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks for this. It's working great! Now that I've tried it, I don't think I can live without soft keys anymore. ;)

stone_phalanges

Aug 11, 2010
att gs3

I have the ATT variant of the galaxy s 3 and the zip wouldn't flash. from what I can tell it seems like there was a check for gt-i9300 in the build prop and my phone obviously failed (being an sgh-i747). Thank you for you efforts to improve our phones.

kschmidty17

Dec 17, 2010
I had the same issue except with the Verizon sch-i535 galaxy s3. I tried editing the script and changing it to the correct model identifiers but that didn't work. Either I did it wrong or there is more to fixing the problem then just that. Thanks for the hard work!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Mod I did for CM10
    It will enable the on screen navigation soft keys. it will also disable the capacitive buttons AND the home button.

I used the Framework-res.apk from the CM 10 Preview 6 build.

This will NOT disable the capacitive lights, just the keys themselves. To disable the lights go to settings -> Advanced -> Screen and uncheck "Backlight"

Why did I do this mod?
    Well, I really liked the on screen nav buttons on the GNEX. At the time I had the Galaxy S II and enabled them with AOKP but as much as I liked them I hated losing the screen real estate on the 4.3 inch screen. When I got the GS3 I felt the screen was big enough to give up a little screen RE for the nav buttons. I also did it because when I play games or hold my phone in landscape I would accidently hit the capacitive buttons so this mod also eliminated that for me

EDIT: Member NemesisRE Has posted a way to universally do this on CM 10 and other roms! Taking this mod a step further and making it easy on me so I wouldnt have to do the mod every time the CM 10 FW changed:

From NemesisRE's post(http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29677762&postcount=98)

Based upon the work of graffixnyc and labbe- I made a Script that searches for the entries and changes them. All other entries (if there are others) are not affected!
    Script doesn´t need BusyBox binary so its a very small Package. No Framework-res.apk is added so it should be universal.
    Please make a Backup before you try this! And report if working!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NAV_Only: none of the hardware keys are enabled (except Volume and Power)
    NAV_HomeWake: Home button wakes device but has no other function
    NAV_HomeCamera: Home button opens Camera and takes Pictures but has no other function
    NAV_StockKeys: Functions as normal but with on Screen Navbar
    NAV_Remove: Removes the mod

Install Instructions:
    - Boot into recovery
    - flash with CWM
    - reboot

This should work on any device with the same keybindings:

Code:

Code:
    key 172	HOME
    key 158	BACK
    key 139	MENU

In the this files:
    Code:

Code:
    /system/usr/keylayout/sec_touchkey.kl
    /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl

Code:

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Mod
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */
    Cheers
    Steven
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for your device. Use at own risk. If your device gets bricked its not my fault or responsibility

NEW: Universal DL links are here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29677762&postcount=98

instructions:
    Boot into recovery, flash, reboot

Well I sneezed today and I noticed a dent in my car - but I hardly think the two are related. Maybe you should provide more information as to what you did and what you're running - because this has absolutely NOTHING to do with your issue.