[V521][NOUGAT 7.0][ROOT][TWRP] Guide to Update V521 LG GPAD X 8.0 to 7.0 and Root

Search This thread

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009
This was completed on the T-Mobile LG GPAD 8.0 X also known as the V521. It will probably not work on any other version except this tablet.

DISCLAIMER: Following these steps will void your warrant. I will not be held responsible for any damage you may cause while following these directions.

I did not build any of this code to do any of these steps. I have compiled them from a few places. The guide is going to walk you through updating your tablet to 7.0 using LGUP and the kdz. Then to install TWRP recovery and allow you to install SuperSU to gain root. We will be using the dirtycow method from the LG V20 Section of XDA, posted by jcadduono.

I'm not sure who coded all of these things, so I can't thank everyone who put the software and code together.

You will need all of the following to complete this guide:

If you have your bootloader unlocked and want to install 7.0 and root skip to step 2. If you have your bootloader unlocked and have 7.0 installed, skip to Step 3 to install TWRP and SuperSU.

Step 1: Unlock your bootloader
The tablet bootloader is not unlocked by default. This is required for rooting the LGV521 (T-Mobile). You may unlock it by following these steps:

Warning: A bootloader unlock will wipe your tablet.

1. Enable Developer Settings (About tablet > Software info > Build number Tap 5 times)
2. Enable USB Debugging (Developer options) (Example)
3. Enable OEM Unlock (Developer options)
4. Install Android Debug Bridge (?)
5. Install LG Device Drivers if needed (Available below)
6. Open 'Command Prompt' and type in 'adb shell'
7. Enter these commands into ADB Shell for your device:

Code:
reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot

8. Check if the bootloader is unlocked by entering:

Code:
fastboot getvar unlocked

NOTE: While the bootloader is unlocked, you will get the "The software on this device cannot check for corruptions" message upon boot unless you install a modified boot image and kernel to get rid of the message.

Step 2 Install Nougat on your tablet.

Make sure you have USB Debugging Enabled in the Developer Options and the LG drivers installed.

• Open LGUP with which ever method you choose above
  • Select the UPGRADE Bullet, and in the bottom section click the ... in the file path field and select the KDZ you downloaded above
  • Click start. Your tablet will reboot a few times and should install Nougat.
  • Once the LGUP screen says Completed in the STatus Field, you have nougat install. Proceed to Step 3 if you want TWRP and Root.

Step 3 Getting TWRP installed with DirtyCows and achieving root.

Make sure you have USB Debugging Enabled in the Developer Options and the LG drivers installed.

We are now going to copy the dirtycow files to the tablet, install twrp, and achieve root by installing SuperSU.

I suggest copying the 4 dirtycow files, supersu zip , and the twrp img you downloaded earlier directly into your adb and fastboot install location (Should Be "C:\Program Files (x86)/Minimal ADB and Fastboot" if you are using Minimal ADB and Fastboot.

Run the following ADB commands:

Code:
adb push dirtycow /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-applypatch /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-app_process32 /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-run-as /data/local/tmp
adb push twrp-3.0.2-x-xxxx.img /sdcard/twrp.img

Code:
adb shell

Code:
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0777 *
$ ./dirtycow /system/bin/applypatch recowvery-applypatch
<wait for completion>
Code:
$ ./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process32 recowvery-app_process32
<wait for completion, your phone will look like it's crashing>
Code:
$ exit

Code:
adb logcat -s recowvery
<wait for it to tell you it was successful> and Press [CTRL + C]

Code:
adb shell reboot recovery
<wait for phone to boot up again, your recovery will be reflashed to stock>

Code:
adb shell

Code:
$ getenforce
<it should say Permissive, adjust source and build for your device!>

Code:
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ ./dirtycow /system/bin/run-as recowvery-run-as
$ run-as exec ./recowvery-applypatch boot
<wait for it to flash your boot image this time>

Code:
$ run-as su
#run-as exec dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
<wait for it to complete>
Code:
$ reboot recovery

You should now be on the TWRP screen. I like to adb sideload when I install here to save storage space on my tablet. Some users are having issues installing SuperSU with the sideload method. If you are you will need to format your data, by selecting wipe, and then format data. This will delete allof your data, but will remove the encryption and allow twrp to read/write to your data partition. If you have an external microsd installed you can also try putting the supersu.zip file on there and installing it from the sd in twrp. If that does not work then you will have to format the data partition.

Here is how to install SuperSU with sideloading:
  • Swipe right on the Swipe to Allow Modification slider
  • Click the Advanced Button
  • Click the ADB Sideload Button
  • Swipe Right on the Swipe to Start Sideload slider
  • and then run the following ADB command on your PC
  • ADB Sideload supersu.zip (replace supersu.zip with your actual supersu file path)
  • Once Supersu is completed click reboot. (Your system will reboot a few times) and you should end up on your lock screen with 7.0 installed and rooted.

Don't forget to give this post a Thanks.

Last edited:

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
Is the "V52120f_00_1209.kdz" completely non-modified stock 7.0 kdz? If so, I don't have to download it again. Thanks.

Second question, will this root method wipe the internal storage?

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009
As far as I know the kdz is completely stock. The only step that should clear your data is unlocking the bootloader. If you are already bootloader unlocked you should not loose any data. I had the 6.0 root installed on my tablet already, and followed all of the steps above and have all of my data still. The kdz did put some bloatware (lookout) back on the tablet I had removed. The only step that would potentially damage the tablet if not followed correctly would be the dd command to install twrp. But I assume it would probably fail before doing any real damage. And reflashing the kdz would probably correct it.

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
As far as I know the kdz is completely stock. The only step that should clear your data is unlocking the bootloader. If you are already bootloader unlocked you should not loose any data. I had the 6.0 root installed on my tablet already, and followed all of the steps above and have all of my data still. The kdz did put some bloatware (lookout) back on the tablet I had removed. The only step that would potentially damage the tablet if not followed correctly would be the dd command to install twrp. But I assume it would probably fail before doing any real damage. And reflashing the kdz would probably correct it.
I am already on rooted 6.0 with unlocked bootloader so I am good to go.

xtremelora

Dec 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
I am already on rooted 6.0 with unlocked bootloader so I am good to go.
Would you mind to do a twrp Nandroid before you customize your tablet?
So we can post it in the Nandroid area and then I can start building flashables zips.
Remember to standard wipe bedore making the nandroid.
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ravoz88

Jun 10, 2014
When pushing the files over, in your code for TWRP it says " adb push twrp-3.0.2-x-xxxx.img /sdcard/twrp.img " . I'm assuming that should be changed to the name of the TWRP file, " TWRP-V521-3.0.2.0.img " ?

Or should it really be exactly as you put it?

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
Would you mind to do a twrp Nandroid before you customize your tablet?
So we can post it in the Nandroid area and then I can start building flashables zips.
Remember to standard wipe bedore making the nandroid.
Thanks.

Do you mean nandroid of rooted 7.0 rom?
I am already on rooted 6.0 with unlocked bootloader without TWRP and planning to upgrade to rooted 7.0 with TWRP using the method posted in this thread. According to jdub01984, after rooting with this method, I will be on rooted 7.0 with TWRP with my data intact. I am avoiding wipe the internal storage on this tablet.

However, I have a new V521 on stock unrooted android 6.0 10e with locked bootloader. It would anyway wipe the internal storage after unlocking bootloader, and I can make a nandroid of rooted 7.0 rom after root if you want.

xtremelora

Dec 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
Do you mean nandroid of rooted 7.0 rom?
I am already on rooted 6.0 with unlocked bootloader without TWRP and planning to upgrade to rooted 7.0 with TWRP using the method posted in this thread. According to jdub01984, after rooting with this method, I will be on rooted 7.0 with TWRP with my data intact. I am avoiding wipe the internal storage on this tablet.

However, I have a new V521 on stock unrooted android 6.0 10e with locked bootloader. It would anyway wipe the internal storage after unlocking bootloader, and I can make a nandroid of rooted 7.0 rom after root if you want.

Well, in that case, could you provide me a Nandroid of 6 and 7 using your new tablet?
So we can have 3 diferent nandroids and few flashables zip so we can use whatever we need in the future.

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
One more question about wiping internal storage: is the TWRP version 3.0.2 and does it require wipe/format data for data/internal storage to mount?
I checked the TWRP thread, and it says TWRP 2.8.7.0 requires wipe internal storage but not sure about TWRP 3.0.2.
I am on rooted android 6.0 10c with unlocked bootloader and without TWRP. Requiring wiping internal storage is the initial reason I didn't put TWRP on my tablet yet.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Well, in that case, could you provide me a Nandroid of 6 and 7 using your new tablet?
So we can have 3 diferent nandroids and few flashables zip so we can use whatever we need in the future.
No. Android 6.0 10e is not rootable, so no root or TWRP to do nandroid.

xtremelora

Dec 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
One more question about wiping internal storage: is the TWRP version 3.0.2 and does it require wipe/format data for data/internal storage to mount?
I checked the TWRP thread, and it says TWRP 2.8.7.0 requires wipe internal storage but not sure about TWRP 3.0.2.
I am on rooted android 6.0 10c with unlocked bootloader and without TWRP. Requiring wiping internal storage is the initial reason I didn't put TWRP on my tablet yet.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

I got you. I tough you were on 10e rooted and all....
Don,t worry, may be somebody else can provide a nandroid with nougat.

Reactions: emilyrugburn

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009
When pushing the files over, in your code for TWRP it says " adb push twrp-3.0.2-x-xxxx.img /sdcard/twrp.img " . I'm assuming that should be changed to the name of the TWRP file, " TWRP-V521-3.0.2.0.img " ?

It should be whatever you file is named. I usually rename my file to TWRP.img so I don't need to retype the full name.

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009

I did not wipe anything in TWRP. It should not be necessary to access the data partition to install SuperSU. You would probably have to wipe if you need to access or mount the data partition.

Reactions: SiNJiN76

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009

I have not tested, but the dirtycow portion of this guide should work on 6.0 10e.

Reactions: SiNJiN76

xtremelora

Dec 13, 2012
Dallas, TX

emilyrugburn

Feb 14, 2011
*Nvm tried it again and it worked.*

Awesome... Thanks so much for putting dirtycow exploit together for us.

Last edited:

xtremelora

Dec 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
Are you wanting a nandroid of just the system image, or which partitions? Maybe I will backup my tablet, wipe, and make the nandroid of nougat for you.
A standard Nandroid, wiped so there are no personals files when I create the rom.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Boot+Data+System

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
Are you wanting a nandroid of just the system image, or which partitions? Maybe I will backup my tablet, wipe, and make the nandroid of nougat for you.

I am at the last step:
ADB Sideload supersu.zip (replace supersu.zip with your actual supersu file path)
Once Supersu is completed click reboot.

After I adb side load supersu.zip, and click on reboot, it reboots into system, but I can not find supersu.

jdub01984

Feb 24, 2009
I am at the last step:
ADB Sideload supersu.zip (replace supersu.zip with your actual supersu file path)
Once Supersu is completed click reboot.

After I adb side load supersu.zip, and click on reboot, it reboots into system, but I can not find supersu.

I am using the 2.79 SR1 release of SuperSU, but linked to the stable version 2.79. If you are still experiencing the issue, trying installing the newest version SR2 from here.

I just wiped my tablet completely, restored the nougat kdz, and followed all of the steps as posted here, and verified I had SuperSU present.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This was completed on the T-Mobile LG GPAD 8.0 X also known as the V521. It will probably not work on any other version except this tablet.

DISCLAIMER: Following these steps will void your warrant. I will not be held responsible for any damage you may cause while following these directions.

I did not build any of this code to do any of these steps. I have compiled them from a few places. The guide is going to walk you through updating your tablet to 7.0 using LGUP and the kdz. Then to install TWRP recovery and allow you to install SuperSU to gain root. We will be using the dirtycow method from the LG V20 Section of XDA, posted by jcadduono.

I'm not sure who coded all of these things, so I can't thank everyone who put the software and code together.

You will need all of the following to complete this guide:

If you have your bootloader unlocked and want to install 7.0 and root skip to step 2. If you have your bootloader unlocked and have 7.0 installed, skip to Step 3 to install TWRP and SuperSU.

Step 1: Unlock your bootloader
    The tablet bootloader is not unlocked by default. This is required for rooting the LGV521 (T-Mobile). You may unlock it by following these steps:

Warning: A bootloader unlock will wipe your tablet.

1. Enable Developer Settings (About tablet > Software info > Build number Tap 5 times)
    2. Enable USB Debugging (Developer options) (Example)
    3. Enable OEM Unlock (Developer options)
    4. Install Android Debug Bridge (?)
    5. Install LG Device Drivers if needed (Available below)
    6. Open 'Command Prompt' and type in 'adb shell'
    7. Enter these commands into ADB Shell for your device:

Code:
    reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot reboot

8. Check if the bootloader is unlocked by entering:

Code:
    fastboot getvar unlocked

NOTE: While the bootloader is unlocked, you will get the "The software on this device cannot check for corruptions" message upon boot unless you install a modified boot image and kernel to get rid of the message.

Step 2 Install Nougat on your tablet.

• Open LGUP with which ever method you choose above
    • Select the UPGRADE Bullet, and in the bottom section click the ... in the file path field and select the KDZ you downloaded above
    • Click start. Your tablet will reboot a few times and should install Nougat.
    • Once the LGUP screen says Completed in the STatus Field, you have nougat install. Proceed to Step 3 if you want TWRP and Root.

Step 3 Getting TWRP installed with DirtyCows and achieving root.

We are now going to copy the dirtycow files to the tablet, install twrp, and achieve root by installing SuperSU.

I suggest copying the 4 dirtycow files, supersu zip , and the twrp img you downloaded earlier directly into your adb and fastboot install location (Should Be "C:\Program Files (x86)/Minimal ADB and Fastboot" if you are using Minimal ADB and Fastboot.

Run the following ADB commands:

Code:
    adb push dirtycow /data/local/tmp
    adb push recowvery-applypatch /data/local/tmp
    adb push recowvery-app_process32 /data/local/tmp
    adb push recowvery-run-as /data/local/tmp
    adb push twrp-3.0.2-x-xxxx.img /sdcard/twrp.img

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    $ cd /data/local/tmp
    $ chmod 0777 *
    $ ./dirtycow /system/bin/applypatch recowvery-applypatch
    <wait for completion>
    Code:
    $ ./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process32 recowvery-app_process32
    <wait for completion, your phone will look like it's crashing>
    Code:
    $ exit

Code:
    adb logcat -s recowvery
    <wait for it to tell you it was successful> and Press [CTRL + C]

Code:
    adb shell reboot recovery
    <wait for phone to boot up again, your recovery will be reflashed to stock>

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    $ getenforce
    <it should say Permissive, adjust source and build for your device!>

Code:
    $ cd /data/local/tmp
    $ ./dirtycow /system/bin/run-as recowvery-run-as
    $ run-as exec ./recowvery-applypatch boot
    <wait for it to flash your boot image this time>

Code:
    $ run-as su
    #run-as exec dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
    <wait for it to complete>
    Code:
    $ reboot recovery

You should now be on the TWRP screen. I like to adb sideload when I install here to save storage space on my tablet. Some users are having issues installing SuperSU with the sideload method. If you are you will need to format your data, by selecting wipe, and then format data. This will delete allof your data, but will remove the encryption and allow twrp to read/write to your data partition. If you have an external microsd installed you can also try putting the supersu.zip file on there and installing it from the sd in twrp. If that does not work then you will have to format the data partition.

Here is how to install SuperSU with sideloading:
    • Swipe right on the Swipe to Allow Modification slider
    • Click the Advanced Button
    • Click the ADB Sideload Button
    • Swipe Right on the Swipe to Start Sideload slider
    • and then run the following ADB command on your PC
    • ADB Sideload supersu.zip (replace supersu.zip with your actual supersu file path)
    • Once Supersu is completed click reboot. (Your system will reboot a few times) and you should end up on your lock screen with 7.0 installed and rooted.

Don't forget to give this post a Thanks.

It should be whatever you file is named. I usually rename my file to TWRP.img so I don't need to retype the full name.

I did not wipe anything in TWRP. It should not be necessary to access the data partition to install SuperSU. You would probably have to wipe if you need to access or mount the data partition.