How To Properly Backup Fire TV Stick 4K in TWRP with no issues

Search This thread

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
As I did more testings on my Fire TV Stick 4K within TWRP, most of the issues usually occur while backing up the system and vendor. In the past, I thought I was doomed because of a bricked Fire TV Stick 4K for backing those two partitions. Yesterday, I finally discovered the true fix with backing up and restoring. You need to only backup the system image, vendor image, data, and boot to get your Fire TV Stick 4K working again WITHOUT flashing a prerooted or stock image. Let me know if this works for you and I'll be glad to respond back. I also have my version of a debloated rom for the Fire TV Stick 4K which may be available in the near future and is safely able to factory reset successfully along with the setup wizard going through without issues.

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
As I did more testings on my Fire TV Stick 4K within TWRP, most of the issues usually occur while backing up the system and vendor. In the past, I thought I was doomed because of a bricked Fire TV Stick 4K for backing those two partitions. Yesterday, I finally discovered the true fix with backing up and restoring. You need to only backup the system image, vendor image, data, and boot to get your Fire TV Stick 4K working again WITHOUT flashing a prerooted or stock image. Let me know if this works for you and I'll be glad to respond back. I also have my version of a debloated rom for the Fire TV Stick 4K which may be available in the near future and is safely able to factory reset successfully along with the setup wizard going through without issues.

EDIT: Version 1.0 of my debloated rom will be posted here shortly! Its a backup without my account obviously, and has a few tweaks done so far. ONLY works for Fire TV Stick 4K.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Question

Hello. Any update on this? Ive been trying to find a way to do this but have had no luck on my 4k sticks. Please share

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Hello. Any update on this? Ive been trying to find a way to do this but have had no luck on my 4k sticks. Please share

There's no new update on this. It still works. What did you backup? Backing up the system, and vendor only bricks the device. Its always important to backup only the system image, vendor image, data and boot.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Thank you for the reply

I understand that appdata is stored in the root folders. Im just looking for a simple way to copy that data from one stick to another. I guess i didnt understand exactly what you meant. Im really just wanting to save my atv launcher setup and if possible my logins and passwords to my premium app subscriptions. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
And...

I am not familiar with TWRP or know how a debloated rom works. Im not a total noob or anything but im not anywhere on your level. Please leave some details.
I currently use es to backup all apps. Ftp & filezilla and use adb commands to install apps. I move over my custom codecs and kodi data etc. I do not know how to copy the appdata on 4k stick.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Big thanks to 0815hoffi. That looks like a winner. Im cant wait to try it. Im way excited! I will let you know how it goes.

0815hoffi

Dec 22, 2019
Munich
github.com
So i move my backup to the other stick.

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/oandbackups
adb push oandbackups /sdcard/oandbackups/
adb install dk.jens.backup_305.apk

And make a reboot after restore to Apply the changes.

Attachments

• Busybox.zip
    759.4 KB · Views: 90
  • dk.jens.backup_305.apk
    6.2 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: puppinoo

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Question

Does this method work only on a rooted device? I have busybox installed and oandbackup. The app wont let me backup app data without SU permissions. Is there a command I need to enter in terminal or something? Also regarding twrp, is that able to backup the whole device? (Testing this on my android phone btw)

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
What root method do you reccomend for firestick? Also just wanting to know if there is any downside to rooting? Ive never rooted one just because ive never really needed to.

WebXuseR

May 23, 2020
just catching up stick 4k root, have 4 tv sticks, rooted the first one using kamakiri and mantis 6.2.6.8_r1, in process of setting up stick 1 with apps. Once finished want to copy the same configuration over to the other sticks. Once i use kamakiri to unlock the other sticks, do i need to bother with installing mantis pre-rooted image or i can use use this backup method :

from stick 1 and apply it to the other 4k sticks, and i shouldnt have enter the logins into the apps again ?

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
What root method do you reccomend for firestick? Also just wanting to know if there is any downside to rooting? Ive never rooted one just because ive never really needed to.

See these guides for rooting the 4k firestick.

https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/orig-development/unlock-fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-t3978459

https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/orig-development/newbie-guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t4015273

The downside is you can destroy the firestick if you break any components trying to short the DAT0 or CLK points.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Thanks for all the great info. Idk if im ready to take the stick apart. Im going to watch a couple videos and see how comfortable i feel about doing this. Im sure its probably not that hard but a little unnerving for me not having done it before. I was really hoping there was an adb trick to backup this data.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me if something like this (please see link below) that can work on the firestick 4k? Everything else ive found without root requires plugging the device into a computer via usb like helium backup. https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/28296/how-to-fully-backup-non-rooted-devices

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Having Trouble

Without root.

adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
# backup on one device
adb restore myapp.ab

adb shell pm list packages -f
# to get the appname com.******

So I tried this command adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
CMD says: unlock your device and confirm the backup operation. Any ideas?
also once i get this to work am i supposed to just input # or # backup on one device?
I also tried the command with adding " " & ' ' around the command and got the same message both times.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
So I tried this command adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
CMD says: unlock your device and confirm the backup operation. Any ideas?
also once i get this to work am i supposed to just input # or # backup on one device?
I also tried the command with adding " " & ' ' around the command and got the same message both times.

The "unlock your device" means you have to accept the adb connection on your firestick. There should be a message displayed on your TV screen. Use the remote to accept the connection.

# means that line is a comment. It is for your information, not to be executed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EDIT: Version 1.0 of my debloated rom will be posted here shortly! Its a backup without my account obviously, and has a few tweaks done so far. ONLY works for Fire TV Stick 4K.
    I'm guessing radb is the Remote ADB Shell app for Android. It sounds like you are making two adb connections to the firestick - one from your phone, and one from your pc. I don't think two connections are allowed, and that is probably part of your problem. The unlock is on a connection basis, so an unlock for your phone will not work for a pc connection. You probably need to revoke the connections on your firestick and start over using only your pc, but I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe reset to factory defaults?

Adb devices not found on your computer means you don't have the adb executable in your path. Adb devices is not an adb shell command, so it would not work on your phone. I believe the Remote ADB Shell app executes only adb shell commands.

I don't know which one to quote so,

You are right only one device can access a shell at a time.

If you are using "Remote Adb Shell" then there's no need to enter adb shell because you are already in shell.

On pc either he doesn't has ADB path set or maybe he doesn't have adb at all.

Remote adb shell creates a persistent connection to the shell, to terminate that enter
    "exit" in the shell and it will disconnect the connection. then you'll be able to access the shell on you pc, and only then you will be prompted for USB debugging in Firestick.

For the partitioning part, if he has saved his file on one partition of a flash drive which he created on that stick, then he is binding that usb partition to the stick and stick will know where to look for.
    If he formats the stick then stick will no longer recognize that partition on your drive, and no apk is fully installed on a flash drive, that means a reset will make it useless. If you again partition that device then that partition is formatted which in turn deletes the data of that partition creating a new one for that stick.

And for the backup prompt, that prompt is shown on the stick to allow the backup process, which i don't even remember is still a thing or not.

I am quoting you but want to clear things out to other members.
    You can do this with
    Busybox and
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/dk.jens.backup/
    I also use this for ATV and Youtube without Problems.