Anyone else feel a slap in the face this morning?

Search This thread

mkollersms

Jan 17, 2017
So as of this morning, Lenovo officially listed the Moto E4 and E4 Plus on their site. Here's the E4 specs:

-Almost the same as G4 Play
-Snapdragon 425 or 427
-NanoSIM
-Added e-compass (which SHOULD have been on the G4 Play, seriously)
-Fingerprint Scanner in select markets
-Nougat out of the box

And all for $20 cheaper than what most of us paid. Anyone else as pissed as I am?

Reactions: fluffyofqweam

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So as of this morning, Lenovo officially listed the Moto E4 and E4 Plus on their site. Here's the E4 specs:

-Snapdragon 425 or 427
-NanoSIM
-Nougat out of the box

And all for $20 cheaper than what most of us paid. Anyone else as pissed as I am?
Not a all. The G5 series is replacing the G4 although the latter will likely remain available for some time. The E4 has a different demographic/geographic focus but will supposedly be available in Europe and North America, likely positioned as a budget phone.

The evolution you are seeing with the G4->E4 series regularly plays out in the consumer electronics, automotive and other industries. Fingerprint scanners were once exclusive to "flagship" devices; now some varients of the lowly E4 gets one. Amazing!

mkollersms

Jan 17, 2017
Not a all. The G5 series is replacing the G4 although the latter will likely remain available for some time. The E4 has a different demographic/geographic focus but will supposedly be available in Europe and North America, likely positioned as a budget phone.

The evolution you are seeing with the G4->E4 series regularly plays out in the consumer electronics, automotive and other industries. Fingerprint scanners were once exclusive to "flagship" devices; now some varients of the lowly E4 gets one. Amazing!

That would be fine and dandy except 1) magnetometers are far from a new technology, 2) lenovo NEVER addressed the GPS faults and I got *****ed out by a rep over it, and 3) the OTA delay which should not have happened (though apparently part of the problem is the Bluetooth issue is affecting a huge amount of devices including the Pixel models themselves).

I did have the Moto E1 back in the day, and the fact it had the capacity to run CM14.0 was damned impressive. Of course, it wasn't without its faults either. A magnetometer should be in every phone and I don't understand why so many devices omit it. There's companies I won't so much as look at *coughSamsungcough* because it's such a powerful tool. You can't say that only flagships have it, since a lot of sub-$150 LG phones did (the Leon/Tribute2/Sunset for example). And I mean, the E1 didn't even have an LED flash. I was lucky to snag a cheap US Cellular model and do a Day-One Unlock.

But I would say I got far more use out of that phone than my G4P. I loved that phone, and this model has been a serious letdown. So it's like, do I want to give this company another $130 and risk being let down again? I personally won't. I plan to get a Sony Xperia L1 and let a family member have this one. It'll still have Lineage, so at least I'll be able to update the damned thing.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
That would be fine and dandy except 1) magnetometers are far from a new technology, 2) lenovo NEVER addressed the GPS faults and I got *****ed out by a rep over it, and 3) the OTA delay which should not have happened (though apparently part of the problem is the Bluetooth issue is affecting a huge amount of devices including the Pixel models themselves).

I did have the Moto E1 back in the day, and the fact it had the capacity to run CM14.0 was damned impressive. Of course, it wasn't without its faults either. A magnetometer should be in every phone and I don't understand why so many devices omit it. There's companies I won't so much as look at *coughSamsungcough* because it's such a powerful tool. You can't say that only flagships have it, since a lot of sub-$150 LG phones did (the Leon/Tribute2/Sunset for example). And I mean, the E1 didn't even have an LED flash. I was lucky to snag a cheap US Cellular model and do a Day-One Unlock.

But I would say I got far more use out of that phone than my G4P. I loved that phone, and this model has been a serious letdown. So it's like, do I want to give this company another $130 and risk being let down again? I personally won't. I plan to get a Sony Xperia L1 and let a family member have this one. It'll still have Lineage, so at least I'll be able to update the damned thing.
Hum...sounds like the G4P did not meet your expectations. I was fully aware of the GPS issues and sensor limitations (which were widely published) prior to purchase. I don't share your opinions on the base feature set for all phones but do believe proper advance research leads to a happier experience.

mkollersms

Jan 17, 2017
Hum...sounds like the G4P did not meet your expectations. I was fully aware of the GPS issues and sensor limitations (which were widely published) prior to purchase. I don't share your opinions on the base feature set for all phones but do believe proper advance research leads to a happier experience.

Please tell me where you got this "advance research," because beyond Amazon user reviews (which I normally take with a grain of salt), I found no press coverage about any faults with this phone. Not even 6 months after its release.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to double down on this, because Lenovo THEMSELVES insisted there was no coverage of anything being wrong with this phone either.

Christopher876

May 24, 2015
West Palm Beach
Not at all. I picked up this Moto 4 Play for 35 dollars on Black Friday which I only use as a "play" phone. It does my social media checkup, remote for my Android TV, eBay selling management, etc.

I have a Moto Z Play as my main phone so not at all do I feel a slap in my face. However, you do need to realize though is that each year parts become cheaper which is the reason why they are able to offer such a package with the Moto E4 this year. If this was last year, expect it to have been more expensive.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Please tell me where you got this "advance research," because beyond Amazon user reviews (which I normally take with a grain of salt), I found no press coverage about any faults with this phone. Not even 6 months after its release.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to double down on this, because Lenovo THEMSELVES insisted there was no coverage of anything being wrong with this phone either.
Lol - of course Lenovo is going to deny there is an issue.

Bottom line: I was aware of the issues prior to purchase (actually bought two); the info was not difficult to find and came from multiple sources. The device meets my lowered expectations especially given the price point. My better half is passively seeking a replacement due to GPS issue. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

anonymous2211

Jan 17, 2015
I tried, and I found nothing, so I asked here. Next time, when you don't know something, don't hide yourself behind sarcasm, it's a waste of such a good rhetorical device.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

anonymous2211

Jan 17, 2015
Of course I used Google first, but I really haven't found this, thanks, now I'm feeling a little less stupid for buying g4 play a month ago. :)

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Literally, the first result it brought me to was a side-by-side comparison with graphics, charts and beautiful illustrations detailing differences between the two chip sets.

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-410-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-425

425 is so close to 410, I wouldn't even call it an upgrade. The only thing not 100% identical is 64-bit processing and a .2ghz nudge in top (factory defined) speed.

Last edited:

Year old model replaced by something better a year later as technology allows. Get used to it. I'm not going to be pissed over something I bought in the past being eclipsed by something released in the future.

mkollersms

Jan 17, 2017
I am honestly shocked by some of the replies I'm seeing. For ALL of the complaints I've seen on this forum (faulty GPS, problems with CDMA carriers, lack of OTA support after nearly a year, etc.), seeing you guys blindly justify the successor just... it boggles my mind. I would be more understanding if the price point for the E4 was the same as the G4P ($150). At least that would make sense from a marketing standpoint. But for them to slash the price to below the G4P, as if to imply that they're phasing out the G4P entirely, just screams that they have no intention of supporting it further. I think that's BS.

Yes, the media is claiming that June will have the drop date for 7.1.1. That's still far from definitive, and there's no guarantee Lenovo won't pull the same thing with Android 8.0 down the road. They just aren't that trustworthy. All I'm going to say is if I hadn't rooted mine, I could think of few equal/better phones for the price (Samsung Galaxy J3, ZTE ZMax 2, LG X Style).

Lenovo does not have a solid strategy with the Moto line. Until they admit to that fact, I'm not going to put my trust in them. It's your call whether you choose to do otherwise.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I am honestly shocked by some of the replies I'm seeing. For ALL of the complaints I've seen on this forum (faulty GPS, problems with CDMA carriers, lack of OTA support after nearly a year, etc.), seeing you guys blindly justify the successor just... it boggles my mind. I would be more understanding if the price point for the E4 was the same as the G4P ($150). At least that would make sense from a marketing standpoint. But for them to slash the price to below the G4P, as if to imply that they're phasing out the G4P entirely, just screams that they have no intention of supporting it further. I think that's BS.

Yes, the media is claiming that June will have the drop date for 7.1.1. That's still far from definitive, and there's no guarantee Lenovo won't pull the same thing with Android 8.0 down the road. They just aren't that trustworthy. All I'm going to say is if I hadn't rooted mine, I could think of few equal/better phones for the price (Samsung Galaxy J3, ZTE ZMax 2, LG X Style).

Lenovo does not have a solid strategy with the Moto line. Until they admit to that fact, I'm not going to put my trust in them. It's your call whether you choose to do otherwise.
Not certain I follow this post. I purchased the G4P for three reasons: form factor (size), modest price point and ability to easily unlock the bootloader. OTA to stock Android 7.x (if it happens) is nice but not an entitlement on a budget handset. Zero expectation of going to Android 8. I have no problem with a nearly identical variant being rebranded and sold at a lower price as newer models are introduced. Common practice w/consumer electronics (consider your television, personal computer, etc). Trust? LOL!!

So what would you have Leveno do?

That last paragraph I agree with you on. But everything else sounds like too much assumption and too little research. Although I didn't see the G4 play listed on Lenovo's support page, I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to support a device released in 2016.

I am very disappointed in their strategy with phones. I bought the G5 Plus because of its fantastic specs for $260 (price matched @ BB with Amazon). I wish they introduced a G5 play, but considering the strange (re)introduction of numerous Moto lines (E, X, and introduction of C) I can see why. But they're really confused. I really wish Google kept Motorola.. we'd have 7.1 already and 8.0 ASAP. A real shame that a great American brand got bought up by some Chinese PC manufacturers that should've refrained​ from entering the mobile arena on the first place.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Snapdragon 425 or 427
    -NanoSIM
    -Nougat out of the box

Last I checked, $200 is 1.25x the value of $160, not 2.5x. Troll harder.
    Okay, relax. XDA is not the place for flaming. If you feel like being sarcastic get his email and do it over Hangouts. This is a friendly conversation about software updates, let's not make it a rage battle.
    Not me got mine at Open Mobile PR Moto G4 Play Factory Unlock XT1607 Bootloader unlockable. Just for $84 without contract, ditched the Open Mobile PR SIM (CDMA no Real LTE) and got an off contract T-Mobile sim now have LTE. Tested with AT&T, & Claro PR and other GSM SIM cards from family all of them works fine. Win win.

I have one from Open Mobile corrently
    Didnt know it worked with gsm sims