why is this thing so damn slow...

Search This thread

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Yeah i'll keep it because anything better is a lot more money (i got it on offer), but i wont be buying a Tegra unit again, phone or Tablet. If i had paid the launch price i would have returned it by now.

RyanTX

May 22, 2010
Pilot Point
I'd have to agree. After much tweaking its usable. 720p video runs fine as long as I turn off everything and use a task manager to kill all background apps.

3d gaming still has its ups and Downs tho....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

I don't think you should have to do that though. Its ridiculous to turn everything off just to make it usable. I've got an 8.9 but I don't play games and rarely watch videos. I mainly do web browsing and office file editing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
I'd have to agree. After much tweaking its usable. 720p video runs fine as long as I turn off everything and use a task manager to kill all background apps.

3d gaming still has its ups and Downs tho....

Has anyone running ics tried the force gpu rendering option??

The task killer shouldn't help too much in principal. Because the complaint is the processor...not the ram.

If all this is related to the way the ram is optimized...then the tegra has been bashed for no reason..lol

Has anyone with problems tried the supercharger v6 script? Or the ram settings in aokp...I don't have lag and I can watch my movies with dice player..so I don't know what to tell you guys.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

Last edited:

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Has anyone running ics tried the force gpu rendering option??

The task killer shouldn't help too much in principal. Because the complaint is the processor...not the ram.

If all this is related to the way the ram is optimized...then the tegra has been bashed for no reason..lol

Has anyone with problems tried the supercharger v6 script? Or the ram settings in aokp...I don't have lag and I can watch my movies with dice player..so I don't know what to tell you guys.

Forcing GPU rendering in ICS seems to have no effect on performance in these non samsung ROMs.

It may be the way the tegra uses the RAM. It wouldn't be the first time a CPU/chipset had a broken memory controller.

Its not really about how slow or fast the device is at opening apps, its about how slow it is to scroll. Apps open fine and anything that needs raw CPU power is ok, its just scroll speed and responsiveness. It seems in the rush to make gaming good they forgot about 2D completely or broke it.

In theory Tegra 2 has more FLOPS than Exynos, but it doesnt seem to feel that way. We cant even say its down to manufacturer tweaks as both this tab and Exynos devices are Samsung. Its almost like Tegra is spinnings its wheels. Its a big overweight V8 with a cheap diff and no grip. Exynos is a smaller turbo in a lightweight body with an LSD.

Last edited:

dairymasta

Aug 6, 2010
Forcing GPU rendering in ICS seems to have no effect on performance in these non samsung ROMs.

It may be the way the tegra uses the RAM. It wouldn't be the first time a CPU/chipset had a broken memory controller.

Its not really about how slow or fast the device is at opening apps, its about how slow it is to scroll. Apps open fine and anything that needs raw CPU power is ok, its just scroll speed and responsiveness. It seems in the rush to make gaming good they forgot about 2D completely or broke it.

In theory Tegra 2 has more FLOPS than Exynos, but it doesnt seem to feel that way. We cant even say its down to manufacturer tweaks as both this tab and Exynos devices are Samsung. Its almost like Tegra is spinnings its wheels. Its a big overweight V8 with a cheap diff and no grip. Exynos is a smaller turbo in a lightweight body with an LSD.

Forcing gpu rendering does make a difference for me on CM9. While I don't think it works perfectly but I think it does make a difference. without it I get 100 on 2D score in Quadrant...with it on I get 500+.

And then I posted all the other settings ive got in a previous post I think...

alterbridge86

Retired Recognized Developer
May 27, 2010
Boston
There are a couple factors to blame for the 8.9's overall sluggishness, none of which are Samsung's TW UX (which everyone falsely blames).

Tegra2 is the prime culprit - it is simply a poorly designed SoC. Namely it lacks two fundamental features - High Profile h.264 decoding support and Rotation ability.

The first of those, high profile h.264, is most of what people download these days for HD content. When you try and play it on your device, its a stutterfest and unwatchable.

The second, rotation support, affects the 8.9 in a rather big way. As i'm sure you notice in other tegra2 tablets, using the device in landscape is WAY smoother than in portrait. However, the way Samsung built the 8.9, the framebuffers default position is in portrait. Landscape, the way most use the 8.9, is technically a rotation, which tegra2 can't do. To work around the tegra2 limitation the rotation function is passed on to the CPU (which obviously is very inefficient at graphical things). The end result is ~50% loss in GPU ability (hence why your 15fps estimate is very likely a reality).

Rotational performance has improved with updates to android OS, but it will never be perfect. All that is really happening is Android is getting lighter and more efficient making the lag less noticeable.

As for the "Force GPU Acceleration" function i've seen a few mention, all that does is force gpu acceleration on apps that do not have it enabled already. Apps do utilize GPU acceleration based on one of two conditions - either the manifest has the enable HW acceleration flag set (how it was done in HC) or the target API of the app is 14 or above (basically any app built for ICS will use HW accel by default). The launcher in ICS obviously has a target API of 15, and as such it is GPU accelerated. Therefore, force gpu acceleration will have zero effect on smoothness of the launcher.

ibanezq

Mar 9, 2007
Warsaw
Interesting but as I look youtube clips with 8.9 LTE (qualcomm chip) the same problem with poor smoothnes occour.
Tab 7 plus works much better :/

abalam

Oct 30, 2011
github.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
I have no problems with my tab. Running CM9 and no overclock, launcher I use is ADW ex. Tab is fast en smooth, no problems with freeze or lags. Youtube works great and browser (dolfin browser) work fast to. Quadrant score on benchmarkt 5000. I am verry happy with this tab. I don't understand that some people have problems with this tab.

Sent from my galaxy tab P7310 (wifi)
using CyanogenMod9-RC0-KANG

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
I have no problems with my tab. Running CM9 and no overclock, launcher I use is ADW ex. Tab is fast en smooth, no problems with freeze or lags. Youtube works great and browser (dolfin browser) work fast to. Quadrant score on benchmarkt 5000. I am verry happy with this tab. I don't understand that some people have problems with this tab.

Same here..lol

rovex

Nov 13, 2008

You will only get 5000 in quadrant in a tegra device with the well known cheat (which is sometimes built into ROMs). The REAL score will be 3000 at most. Besides quadrant tells you little about how fast a device is.

I agree that it CAN be smoother than stock, but its never what i call smooth. Ive tried CM9, its NOT buttery smooth.

abalam

Oct 30, 2011
github.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
You will only get 5000 in quadrant in a tegra device with the well known cheat (which is sometimes built into ROMs). The REAL score will be 3000 at most. Besides quadrant tells you little about how fast a device is.

I agree that it CAN be smoother than stock, but its never what i call smooth. Ive tried CM9, its NOT buttery smooth.

Maby or maby not, that is your choice. I find CM9 for my tab smooth and fast it runs better than honeycomb. And with ADW, wowww!!!!

SOS38

Sep 9, 2011
Melbourne
I played with a few of these at my jb-hifi, so dam slow compared to everything else. Walked across the road into good guys, and my god it was a world of difference. I'm not sure what is going on with them but its like some are duds, or their display ones are miss treated hard.

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Different firmwares i would guess. All the store units i tried had no net connection so couldnt have anything installed and i factory reset one, but it was still dead slow.

Im used to the jitter and the fact that it 'scro-ooo-olls' rather than 'scrolls' now, but its still a bit disappointing.

sbeddoesdesign

May 3, 2011
I love my 8.9. I had an Advent Vega, then an iPad, then went for this tab, and to be honest I love it, I mean I find it way better than iPad, and other Android tabs I've used, but then I don't spend a lot of time meddling with home screens and stuff. I love some of the Samsung stuff, like the Social Hub, I find it fantastic, and I always use the overlay Calculator. I also was never a fan of the cheesy TRON look Honeycomb goes for with its dark blue gradients so I appreciate Samsung's white&grey re-skin. Most of all though the form factor, shape, size, weight etc. is ideal. I can see where you're coming from but I am very happy with this thing, I saw an iPad 3 today and had no interest in it thanks to this thing!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: abalam

dairymasta

Aug 6, 2010
I love my 8.9. I had an Advent Vega, then an iPad, then went for this tab, and to be honest I love it, I mean I find it way better than iPad, and other Android tabs I've used, but then I don't spend a lot of time meddling with home screens and stuff. I love some of the Samsung stuff, like the Social Hub, I find it fantastic, and I always use the overlay Calculator. I also was never a fan of the cheesy TRON look Honeycomb goes for with its dark blue gradients so I appreciate Samsung's white&grey re-skin. Most of all though the form factor, shape, size, weight etc. is ideal. I can see where you're coming from but I am very happy with this thing, I saw an iPad 3 today and had no interest in it thanks to this thing!

Yeah, ive said it once and I'll say it again, I love the thing to death. Its beautiful, perfect form. Just the sluggishness brings it does but I've overcome it.

D

Deleted member 3105162

My tab lags some (running stock honeycomb with adw ex launcher) but it doesn't really bug me...all the great things this tablet does way outweighs the lags.

sbeddoesdesign

May 3, 2011
I've noticed a huge speed increase recently on my tab, coukdn't work out why but I had removed a bunch of Samsung Widgets, so try taking widgets off your home screen to see if it improves...

MAMUTHcz

Jan 12, 2012
Brno
I downloaded overcome 2.3.1 and applied launcher patch and i can honestly say, that this thing flies now...I use quite a lot of widgets, but none of them are samsung widgets (launcher after patch is more or less stock honeycomb). Only thing, that slowed the tab down was youtube widget. I really recomend this rom and patch!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Care to elaborate on what tweaks you made?

Yeah, the things (like most tablets) are a mess in the stores because customers fill them to the brim with crap.

Not that much tbh. cm9 installed, surface dithering off, 16bit transparency on, allow purging of assets on, kernel samepahe merging on, 1.4ghz oc with interactive governor.

Then basic stuff like installing a task manager and closing all apps before playing a game or watching a movie..no Widgets on home screen, turn off wallpaper scrolling, turn off all animations etc .

Just stuff like that