Captivate Replacement... With What?

Search This thread

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
So basically... I'm wondering what maybe some of the Captivate users are looking at getting.

I'm on my fourth Cappy. Now the speaker stopped working on it (Just the headphone jack works for sound now).

Pissed at this phone, honestly.

I'm going to see if I can talk AT&T into letting me get a different phone, on the basis of this being a lemon.

Any suggestions?

jhernand1102

Sep 11, 2007
SF Bay Area
So basically... I'm wondering what maybe some of the Captivate users are looking at getting.

I'm on my fourth Cappy. Now the speaker stopped working on it (Just the headphone jack works for sound now).

I'm going to see if I can talk AT&T into letting me get a different phone, on the basis of this being a lemon.

Any suggestions?

If I had to replace my phone right now the Inspire is the one I would get. It's really a nice phone and has a lot of developer support.

ldd2142

Oct 7, 2010
I bought an inspire off-contract to replace my captivate... it's pretty nice. I would recommend it.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

bulletproof1013

Dec 11, 2008
My speaker stopped working twice and had a new one put in warranty. Third time it happened I just tapped on the speaker and it came back on and now I keep a lil peace of paper inside right below the speaker to keep a lil pressure on the connections. Been working great

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
I'm done with the Captivate, in other words. Too many issues with it.

Custom ROMs are the only reason I've hung on this long.

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
Would you not consider the Atrix or (shudder), Jailbroken iPhone 4? The Inspire's battery is so small.

My main thing- is I think I'll sorely miss the Super AMOLED. The next phone with AMOLED is looking to be the Infuse, and who knows when that comes out.

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've tried replacing my captivate but imo there is nothing out that compares yet.
I started with an inspire but took it back 3 times due to poor screen. Then tried an atrix but mine was junk. I had it for 2 weeks which for half of that time it was in it's box on the fridge while I went back to my trusty old captivate.
I think no matter what I end up buying eventually I will still keep my captivate as a backup just in case.
If I were you I would try to get another one, I've had not a single issue with mine other than the gps crap. Get another captivate and wait for something better to come out than the crap that att is pushing now. The inspire is an old design and the atrix was released too soon in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Its so sad that ATT doesnt have much options in smart phone section. Still the best android phones are inspire, atrix and captivate....

I own a captivate and i am very happy with it...but when atrix was launched i thought wow dual core will be so nice...my room mate got it...and i am so happy i didnt just jump on it....the first thing is screen...nothing can replace SAMOLED....other thing was I saw Atrix hanging, where as my custom rommed captivate was running smoothly...Atrix has that locked bootloader issues..

zanywood

Dec 18, 2010
decatur
Sorry I'm on wrong forum but got a friend whose captivate wont turn on its dead not rooted.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA App

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon

Any suggestions?

you talking about the speaker phone or the internal speaker??? i have an extra internal speaker if ya need one. they're really easy to replace

shiftylock

Jul 18, 2009
Columbus, OH
Honestly I'm waiting to see if T-Mobile and AT&T merge, that way when I get my upgrade (In August) I can hopefully buy the sidekick 4g... But that's depending on so many circumstances, plus samsung is making it. *gags*

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
Design Gears dumped the Atrix, eh? That isn't too reassuring, lol.

Infuse is out based on the battery life.

It looks like the only option is the iPhone 4..... 3.5" display... Not as much power under the hood as my Captivate, either...
Hmmm, I've got some decisions.

I guess I could always sell said iPhone 4 in 6 months when the GS II comes out or something. Apple fans are always willing to buy.

Honestly I'm waiting to see if T-Mobile and AT&T merge, that way when I get my upgrade (In August) I can hopefully buy the sidekick 4g... But that's depending on so many circumstances, plus samsung is making it. *gags*
The merger is a year out. That's already in black and white ink. In other words, they won't even start the process, until a year from now. Which means it'll be at least, 2-3 years before customers see the benefit.

amtrakcn

Mar 22, 2010
Madison
Just learned in this thread DG returned his Atrix... Checked the signiture it's true:D

Maybe should wait for a while, there are many phones coming to AT&T this year.

Jmurph3

Nov 29, 2010
Shreveport

From what I've been reading, all Tmobile bands will be switched to ATTs bands so the radios would have to be replaced.

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
So warranty does not have access to iPhone's.
It sucks, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get them to get me one if I want one. It's also not surprising because obviously part of Apple's deal is that Apple takes care of warranty for the iPhone, thus ATT Warranty does not have access to any.

What they offered me was pretty much anything else though.

The Inspire and Atrix were too new, they didn't have any in warranty yet. Those are the only two Android phones to be considered equivalent or upgrade (Inspire is out solely based upon the battery).
They also offered me some Win 7 devices but in all honesty I don't see those being equivalent in any way. I haven't really researched it and know squat about Windows 7 Phone.

So I'm stuck now. I don't know if I should wait a month or two to see if the Atrix comes into their warranty or just replace the Cappy...

ZeroX131

Jan 14, 2011
I also got sick of the Captivate and got an Inspire. It definitely works a lot better than the Captivate, and aside from the battery it much nicer. If you don't like the big screen though that might also be a consideration. Personally the battery does annoy the hell out of me though.

Hydro360

Oct 3, 2010
TEXAS!!!
I just switched to the atrix other than shi$$y programming in loved cappy so I just took it all the way to stock kies'd it to 2.2 and gave it to my nephew. The atrix is like running a custom rom except its stock that actually works heard a lot of good things from the guys over in the atrix forum is love it so far.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATRIX should be an easy choice. Doesn't matter if the BL is locked...Atrix stock is better than customized phones

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App