[CWM Recovery][Root]Alcatel Onetouch 997D

Search This thread

jman0

Mar 19, 2009
ROOT:

We've been discussing about this for about a month, and I think it's time to sum it all up and open a new cleaner thread.

First, how do you root the Alcatel Onetouch 997D?

This phone is quite new (less than 2 months in the market) and is one of the few phones which can't be rooted by the script developed by Bin4ry or the other well-known methods, such as Unlockroot or SuperOneClick, but it is not unrootable.

In order to root this phone, you must first boot it into Factory mode, a special menu, present in all Mediatek based phones, which can be used to test the various parts of the phone. You get to this menu by turning the phone on while pressing the volume down batton and power button at the same time, until it appears.

Once in factory mode menu, you can connect the phone to a pc, which, if the appropiate adb drivers are installed, will detect it. At this point, the phone can be rooted, by the use of an app called MTK Droid tools. I've succesfully tested versions 2.2.8 and 2.2.9.

After MTK Droid Tools finds the phone, you just have to press the "root" button. The phone will be rebooted two times, and after the second reboot, MTK Droid Tools achieves a temporary root which enables it to install Superuser, su and busybox, so the root is permanent.

During this process, MTK Droid Tools asks whether you want to make a backup. You'd better answer no, since this process is very buggy and fails on this phone, so it's a complete waste of time.

When "Task is complete" message appears, you can reboot the phone, but it won't work right away. Due to a problem not yet identified, it's mandatory to wipe data from recovery for the phone to work. Some people have reported the loss of Google Play Store, and others have lost a lot of apps. Anyway, a wipe solves the problem and the phone remains rooted.

MTK Droid Tools 2.2.8 can be found here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/NyHaro3-/MTKdroidTools.html

CWM Recovery:

We have a 99% working CWMR. I compiled it myself with the help of the dsixda kitchen and the MT6577 CWMR porting plugin developed by Bruno Martins.

I say it's 99% working because backup doesn't work 100%. Alcatel phones have a non standard partition called "custpack", which contains a lot of apps bundled with the phone and whose deletion prevents OTA updates from working, so it's not something one would like to remove. My knowledge of Android is not enough to try to dig inside CWMR source code, to see if I can modify the backup process and make it recognize the custpack partition, so I left it as is. Instead, I decided to develop a shell script which can make CWMR-compatible backups, which can at least be restored from it.

Everything else is fully functional. It's version 6.0.1.2.

To flash it, you need to root the phone, using the method explained above, and flash the recovery image using Mobileuncle Tools utility, which can be freely downloaded from Google Play Store. It's very important to download the latest version from Google Play, since previous versions lying around, and the version MTK Droid Tools installs during the root process can't flash a recovery on MT6577 processors.

To flash the recovery with Mobileuncle tools, you have to place it on the root of the external sd card and open Mobileuncle tools. After granting root permissions, if you haven't done yet, you choose "change recovery" and choose the corresponding .img file. Once the process is done, the phone will automatically reboot into the new recovery. It may fail, which you'll notice because the phone boots into the stock recovery, and you may need to do it again. I've noticed that, at least in mine, it works best if I do it while the phone is unplugged from the computer.

As I said abpove, everything, except backup, works well. Restore works, if you have the correct backup (more on this later).

My CWMR can be downloaded from my Mediafire account: http://www.mediafire.com/?v7wfjr6v1t7b0z5

NANDROID BACKUP:

After noticing the backup process in CWMR can't backup the Alcatel exclusive custpack partition, I began trying to solve this. I guess the best way to do it should be modifying the source code of CWMR to adapt the backup process, but, since that exceedes my current knowledge level, I tried differemt approaches. I downloaded the app Online Nandroid backup from Google Play, and learnt that a nandroid backup can be easily done using a shell script, given you have a rooted phone and a way to execute shell scripts. The good news is that it's done, and I have achieved my goal, and now have a working shell script, which creates backups that can later be restored from CWMR.

This script creates 7 files, like the standard CWMR backup process does. The files are:

1) boot.img
2) recovery.img
3) system.ext4.tar
4) cache.ext4.tar
5) data.ext4.tar
6) .android_secure.vfat.tar
7) nandroid.md5

Files 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are exactly what you now get if you use my CWMR port and perform a backup. The difference lies in file 3.

In a backup created from our current CWMR, this are the contents of the tar archives:

system.ext4.tar: files under /system, and all its subdirectories
cache.ext4.tar: files under /cache, and all its subdirectories
data.ext4.tar: files under /data, and all its subdirectories
.android_secure.vfat.tar: files under /sdcard/.android_secure

In a backup created by my script, it's slightly different:

system.ext4.tar: files under /system, and all its subdirectories, and also files under /custpack, and all it's subdirectories

On both backups, boot.img and recovery.img are images compatible with Mediatek Flash Tool or Mobileuncle Tools (in the case recovery.img), and nandroid.md5 contains the md5 sum of every file, so the restore process can validate the integrity of them, to prevent you from ever restoring a corrupt archive.

In order to use my script, you need an app which can execute them. My preference (and the only one I have fully tested the script with) is GScript, which can be freely downloaded from Google Play Store.

There's also a paid version, but the only difference between them is that the paid version is updated more often than the free one.

How to install the script:

1) Download and install GScript, free or paid. You can use the apk file provided by me inside the attached zip.

2) Download the attached zip file with the scipt, if you haven't done so to install GScript.

3) Put the script on the external sd card, under a folder called "gscript". Use lowercase characters for the name and never change the name, as this would result in GScript not working or finding your scripts. The resulting structure should be:

/sdcard/gscript
|
------------> bin

Inside /sdcard/gscript you have the script itself, called "Alcatel_OT_997D_nandroid.sh" and inside /sdcard/gscript/bin, you have the busybox
binary, used by the script. Even if you have busybox already installed, don't delete this binary, since it's the only one the script will use, and
the only one it's been fully tested with.

4) Open GScript.

0_drawer.png

5) On the GScript main window, you can see a pair of sample scripts already included. You need to touch the menu button and then on "Add script".

2_scriptbuttons.png

3_addscript.png

6) Browse for the .sh file on /sdcard/gscript, and tick "Needs SU?" if it's not already ticked, since this script needs a rooted phone.

4_selectscript.png

5_configscript.png

7) Once the new script is in the list of installed scripts, you only need to touch its name to launch it. The first time you do it, GScript will ask for root permissions. Allow it.

6_scriptlistfinal.png

Once you open the script, it will run automatically, and will end around 5-10 min. later, depending on how loaded your phone is. In order to be able to see every message shown by the script, it's better to raise the screen timeout, to at least 10 minutes. After execution, the output window will auto close, unless you cancel auto closing by touching anywhere on the screen except, of course, the close button.

The backups are stored under the /sdcard/clockworkmod directory (the script will create it if its not already there), under which it will create a new subdirectory, with the date and time of the backup, just in the same format CWMR uses.

During the execution of the script, you may see two error messages, which are not really errors, but warnings you can ignore. These errors are:

1) Errors creating directories at startup. If the script has already been used, or you have tried the backup inside CWMR, sdcard/clockworkmod/backup already exists. The script will tell you that, but it will keep working.

2) Removing leading "/" from member names: tar utility removes "/" from the input parameters, just that.

3) XXXXXXXX: socket ignored, where XXXXXXXX is the name of a file. Sockets are temporary files Unix apps use to communicate with other apps. Since they are temporary, tar just ignores them, so you can also ignore the error message.

On mi phone, after I close the results window, GScript force closes, but this doesn't affect the execution of the script. As I've read somewhere, it
looks like this is a problem common to a lot of users.

DISCLAIMER:

This script is offered AS IS, with no warranty. It has been successfully tested on my own phone, and the generated backup was then perfectly restored from recovery with no issues, but I can't say it won't fail on other people's phones.

It's the first version, fully functional, but with some room for improvement. As it is right now, it's not error free, since it doesn't check if you have enough space left on the sdcard, or if you don't have any apps moved to the sd card. In fact, I have not tested it in such a situation, and I don't know what would happen if you backup your phone with no apps moved. On the other hand, it doesn't bakcup sd-ext, so if anyone has a second partition on the sdcard, to use Link2SD o a2sd, that partition won't be backed up, although data for apps linked to the second partition will. Anyway, even if it fails, you don't have to worry, since it won't change anything inside the phone. If you later restore a backup made with this script, you are doing it AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will not accept any responsibility for damage or data loss caused by the use of this script or restoration or any backup created with it.

Don't forget this script needs a rooted phone, and that performing some things on rooted phones is risky. If the worst case, you will always be able to recover the phone using Alcatel One Touch Upgrade on your pc.

Any comments or improvements are welcome, but if you change / improve anything, don't forget to share it with the community, so everyone can take advantage of it.

IMPORTANT:

This script is only suitable for the Alcatel OT-997D, and probably other phones by the same brand, if they have the "custpack" partition, exclusive to Alcatel. It won't work, unless code regarding the custpack partition is modified, in other phones, and I will not give support to users complaining the script doesn't work on their non Alcatel phones, or their Alcatel phones without s custpack partition.

FINAL NOTE:

Ok, that's it. Now, I'm going to have a rest, maybe until Alcatel release the long waited Jelly Bean update.

EDIT:

I had forgotten the "thanks" section:

Thanks to:

@dsixda, for the great kitchen

Bruno Martins (@bgcngm) for his valueable advice and his scripts to unpack/repack recovery of any MT657x based device

@yuweng, who developed the great kitchen plugin to port CWMR to any MT657x based device. and also pointed me in the right directory when I was trying to root the phone

@ameer1234567890, author of the great onandroid script. I haven't used your code, but it taught me I had to unmount and remount the sdcard on a different location to be able to backup .android_secure

Attachments

• gscript.zip
    502.9 KB · Views: 1,814
Last edited:

robin-sips

Jan 28, 2010
Antwerpen
Any chance of working on a custom rom? ;) i would love to get the standard google theme instead of the alcatel icons :D
maybe i try to get this done, changing the icons is'nt that hard normally :D

btw i'm still looking to cleanup this phone, you know the partitions pretty wel, where is the location of all the stock apps like chrome etc, i would love to make the phone as close to googles standard as i can get it ;)

edit: you can always pm me, i don't want to ruin this topic ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: hkksl

kassipopassi

Jul 3, 2011
Hey jman10 thank you very much for your awesome tutorial.

But i still have to ask, if the restore works 100%, because of lack of gps signals i made a cwm backup of my current stock-rom(4.0.4) and tried, if the newest update(4.0.4-01001) still has problems with gps signals. Well actually it didn't get any better, so i decided to go back to the old version with the help of my backup.
CWM said there were no errors while restoring, so also thought it. But i get a few bugs using the old version, the stock camera-app gets force closes, even after reboots or a data wipe. The stock e-mail app shows weird artefacts on the email subjects, a very large 'x'. It seems, like a lot of system files are missing or sth.

Can you help me?
Thanks!

jman0

Mar 19, 2009
Hey jman10 thank you very much for your awesome tutorial.

But i still have to ask, if the restore works 100%, because of lack of gps signals i made a cwm backup of my current stock-rom(4.0.4) and tried, if the newest update(4.0.4-01001) still has problems with gps signals. Well actually it didn't get any better, so i decided to go back to the old version with the help of my backup.
CWM said there were no errors while restoring, so also thought it. But i get a few bugs using the old version, the stock camera-app gets force closes, even after reboots or a data wipe. The stock e-mail app shows weird artefacts on the email subjects, a very large 'x'. It seems, like a lot of system files are missing or sth.

Can you help me?
Thanks!

If you use my script to backup your rom, restore from CWMR will work 100%. So, your way to go is to start from scratch. Download Alcatel Onetouch Upgrade to a pc, connect the phone and get the latest full version rom on their servers (which sometimes is not the latest one available). Then, connect via wifi and get the latest OTA update. After that, you can root the phone, flash CWMR and make a working backup. From that moment, you'll be able to restore whenever you want and not risk anything.

By the way, which problems are you having with the gps? Mine is working like a charm, even indoors. Where are you from and what kind of tests have you done with it?

Reactions: hkksl

kassipopassi

Jul 3, 2011
Hey thanks for your quick answer, actually i did the whole process that way:
-root stock firmware 4.0.4
-installed cwm per mobileuncle tools
-created image per script
-updated with the help of one touch manager to 4.0.4-01001
-tried gps, didnt work
-rooted

and then i wanted to return to point 1, but as soon as i restored the backup, my camera doesnt work and i get random fc's of several apps. i would like to return to stock 4.0.4, because since the new update the system is more laggy :(
do you know a way? do you have a *.img of the old version?

my gps is really weird, i would say it works at 10%. in my home city i couldnt make it work, then i tried it randomly in 2 other cities and it worked instantly, but then i try it again at the same spot, where it worked a couple of hours earlier and it doesnt work anymore :( its really weird.

thanks man!

jman0

Mar 19, 2009
Hey thanks for your quick answer, actually i did the whole process that way:
-root stock firmware 4.0.4
-created image per script
-updated with the help of one touch manager to 4.0.4-01001
-tried gps, didnt work
-rooted

and then i wanted to return to point 1, but as soon as i restored the backup, my camera doesnt work and i get random fc's of several apps. i would like to return to stock 4.0.4, because since the new update the system is more laggy :(
do you know a way? do you have a *.img of the old version?

my gps is really weird, i would say it works at 10%. in my home city i couldnt make it work, then i tried it randomly in 2 other cities and it worked instantly, but then i try it again at the same spot, where it worked a couple of hours earlier and it doesnt work anymore :( its really weird.

thanks man!

Did you do a factory reset after rooting? It's really important to do so, and the phone doesn't work if you don't.

kassipopassi

Jul 3, 2011
Hey mate,
sure i did, i have no problems with root at all. My problem is to restore my cwm backup i did with the old firmware, because i really want it back badly. Do you have a image file of the "roll out" stock firmware?
Thanks in advance!

Roland_SGN

Mar 14, 2012
Baden/Wien (Vienna)
Hi,

it seems like I am missing something.

I installed the MTK-Tools 2.2.8, connected the phone but the phone is not recognized. I see there is missing some MT65xx AndroidPhone-Driver. Where can I get one?

The installation of the OneTouchManager does not help. Any ideas?

jman0

Mar 19, 2009
Hey mate,
sure i did, i have no problems with root at all. My problem is to restore my cwm backup i did with the old firmware, because i really want it back badly. Do you have a image file of the "roll out" stock firmware?
Thanks in advance!

The system image I have is vastly modified by me, so it might not be suitable for you. If you did the backup using my script, it should work right away. Can you tell me what files (names, sizes, etc.) you have in your backup?

fear_factory84

Apr 17, 2009
Now we just need a CM10 rom, then we're on! :D

Sent from my Packard Bell G100W@JB v20 using Tapatalk

You need also to implement dual sim support on it.. it's a huge work!!!

For now we can aim to fix those annoying bugs on stock rom (if we can) and get a 100% working recovery.

My bugs on latest stock rom:
- bluetooth freezes when bt headset is disconnected by lack of signal
- compass doesn't give good values at all
- need for speed most wanted sound is borked and is not 100% smooth like on other mtk 6577 devices.

In addition I would like to have:
- smaller system bar on the bottom
- search button and menu button always visible on system bar
- extended power menu with the option to have "extended desktop" (system bar hidden by killing it, and then restarted when reenabled)
These can be made by editing framework with smali and friends.

Prerequisite is a fully deodexed rom (and that is easier) and a lot of spare time!

toysnic

Dec 28, 2012
Any news?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using xda app-developers app

MadMav88

Jan 3, 2012

For now we can aim to fix those annoying bugs on stock rom (if we can) and get a 100% working recovery.

- need for speed most wanted sound is borked and is not 100% smooth like on other mtk 6577 devices.

- extended power menu with the option to have "extended desktop" (system bar hidden by killing it, and then restarted when reenabled)

Prerequisite is a fully deodexed rom (and that is easier) and a lot of spare time!

About bugs:
- When I'm calling someone that is listed as favourite for a specific sim, the system asks which number I want to use.. I know about the configuration, I settled the first sim as principal (every call) and the second sim just for some contact. So, why is still asking which number is able to use for them? Is it a bug?
- The digital compass doesn't work well, or better, it's not working at all! The North it's not properly indicated, it follows the gravity verse..

Addictions:
- The status bar can be toggled by power menu or maybe by a sequence (example: vol - vol -)
Etc.

toysnic

Dec 28, 2012
About bugs:
- When I'm calling someone that is listed as favourite for a specific sim, the system asks which number I want to use.. I know about the configuration, I settled the first sim as principal (every call) and the second sim just for some contact. So, why is still asking which number is able to use for them? Is it a bug?

It's the same on mine.

I tried to set one contact associated to 1st sim and an other to the 2nd sim, and I set the 1st sim for all call.
When I want to call:
-if I phone one contact without associated's sim, call goes direct by the 1st Sim.
-If I phone one contact with the 1st sim associated, call goes direct by the 1st Sim.
-If I phone one contact with the 2nd sim associated, the sim choice windows appear but it's written "suggested" on the 2nd sim.
So the call don't start automatically. :(

and I set no principal sim for call (every time you need to choose), I have the sugestion on the associated's Sim.

fear_factory84

Apr 17, 2009
Many people complained about this contact sim preference bug.. I never used this function, so I can't tell.

To toggle status bar, the better working solution I've found is the Hide bar app (search it on xda).

Yesterday I was fighting with my phone that looses signal on the secondary sim when on charge. It may be a bug with my sim/operator combination when sim1 has 3g enabled.
Sim1 Wind Italy, 3g enabled on it, Sim2 Tim Italy no 3g (obviously), when I attach charger or usb cable, I loose Tim signal.
Swapping usim card slots does nothing.
If I enable 3g on Tim Italy, and no-3g on Wind Italy, it works flawlessy. Same if I disable totally 3g.
Anyone with similar issues?

I collected radio logcats and sent them to Alcatel Italia. Probably they will not reply at all, but I have tried...
Please do the same for other bugs! Maybe they'll hear us..

thunder141

Sep 21, 2010
Converning CWM Backup: What about making the backup with online nandroid backup using an adapted partition layout like for those devices here?
That would be restorable by your cwm, too?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT:

We've been discussing about this for about a month, and I think it's time to sum it all up and open a new cleaner thread.

First, how do you root the Alcatel Onetouch 997D?

This phone is quite new (less than 2 months in the market) and is one of the few phones which can't be rooted by the script developed by Bin4ry or the other well-known methods, such as Unlockroot or SuperOneClick, but it is not unrootable.

In order to root this phone, you must first boot it into Factory mode, a special menu, present in all Mediatek based phones, which can be used to test the various parts of the phone. You get to this menu by turning the phone on while pressing the volume down batton and power button at the same time, until it appears.

Once in factory mode menu, you can connect the phone to a pc, which, if the appropiate adb drivers are installed, will detect it. At this point, the phone can be rooted, by the use of an app called MTK Droid tools. I've succesfully tested versions 2.2.8 and 2.2.9.

After MTK Droid Tools finds the phone, you just have to press the "root" button. The phone will be rebooted two times, and after the second reboot, MTK Droid Tools achieves a temporary root which enables it to install Superuser, su and busybox, so the root is permanent.

During this process, MTK Droid Tools asks whether you want to make a backup. You'd better answer no, since this process is very buggy and fails on this phone, so it's a complete waste of time.

When "Task is complete" message appears, you can reboot the phone, but it won't work right away. Due to a problem not yet identified, it's mandatory to wipe data from recovery for the phone to work. Some people have reported the loss of Google Play Store, and others have lost a lot of apps. Anyway, a wipe solves the problem and the phone remains rooted.

MTK Droid Tools 2.2.8 can be found here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/NyHaro3-/MTKdroidTools.html

CWM Recovery:

We have a 99% working CWMR. I compiled it myself with the help of the dsixda kitchen and the MT6577 CWMR porting plugin developed by Bruno Martins.

I say it's 99% working because backup doesn't work 100%. Alcatel phones have a non standard partition called "custpack", which contains a lot of apps bundled with the phone and whose deletion prevents OTA updates from working, so it's not something one would like to remove. My knowledge of Android is not enough to try to dig inside CWMR source code, to see if I can modify the backup process and make it recognize the custpack partition, so I left it as is. Instead, I decided to develop a shell script which can make CWMR-compatible backups, which can at least be restored from it.

Everything else is fully functional. It's version 6.0.1.2.

To flash it, you need to root the phone, using the method explained above, and flash the recovery image using Mobileuncle Tools utility, which can be freely downloaded from Google Play Store. It's very important to download the latest version from Google Play, since previous versions lying around, and the version MTK Droid Tools installs during the root process can't flash a recovery on MT6577 processors.

To flash the recovery with Mobileuncle tools, you have to place it on the root of the external sd card and open Mobileuncle tools. After granting root permissions, if you haven't done yet, you choose "change recovery" and choose the corresponding .img file. Once the process is done, the phone will automatically reboot into the new recovery. It may fail, which you'll notice because the phone boots into the stock recovery, and you may need to do it again. I've noticed that, at least in mine, it works best if I do it while the phone is unplugged from the computer.

As I said abpove, everything, except backup, works well. Restore works, if you have the correct backup (more on this later).

My CWMR can be downloaded from my Mediafire account: http://www.mediafire.com/?v7wfjr6v1t7b0z5

NANDROID BACKUP:

After noticing the backup process in CWMR can't backup the Alcatel exclusive custpack partition, I began trying to solve this. I guess the best way to do it should be modifying the source code of CWMR to adapt the backup process, but, since that exceedes my current knowledge level, I tried differemt approaches. I downloaded the app Online Nandroid backup from Google Play, and learnt that a nandroid backup can be easily done using a shell script, given you have a rooted phone and a way to execute shell scripts. The good news is that it's done, and I have achieved my goal, and now have a working shell script, which creates backups that can later be restored from CWMR.

This script creates 7 files, like the standard CWMR backup process does. The files are:

1) boot.img
    2) recovery.img
    3) system.ext4.tar
    4) cache.ext4.tar
    5) data.ext4.tar
    6) .android_secure.vfat.tar
    7) nandroid.md5

Files 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are exactly what you now get if you use my CWMR port and perform a backup. The difference lies in file 3.

In a backup created from our current CWMR, this are the contents of the tar archives:

system.ext4.tar: files under /system, and all its subdirectories

In a backup created by my script, it's slightly different:

system.ext4.tar: files under /system, and all its subdirectories, and also files under /custpack, and all it's subdirectories

On both backups, boot.img and recovery.img are images compatible with Mediatek Flash Tool or Mobileuncle Tools (in the case recovery.img), and nandroid.md5 contains the md5 sum of every file, so the restore process can validate the integrity of them, to prevent you from ever restoring a corrupt archive.

In order to use my script, you need an app which can execute them. My preference (and the only one I have fully tested the script with) is GScript, which can be freely downloaded from Google Play Store.

There's also a paid version, but the only difference between them is that the paid version is updated more often than the free one.

How to install the script:

1) Download and install GScript, free or paid. You can use the apk file provided by me inside the attached zip.

2) Download the attached zip file with the scipt, if you haven't done so to install GScript.

3) Put the script on the external sd card, under a folder called "gscript". Use lowercase characters for the name and never change the name, as this would result in GScript not working or finding your scripts. The resulting structure should be:

/sdcard/gscript
    |
    ------------> bin

Inside /sdcard/gscript you have the script itself, called "Alcatel_OT_997D_nandroid.sh" and inside /sdcard/gscript/bin, you have the busybox
    binary, used by the script. Even if you have busybox already installed, don't delete this binary, since it's the only one the script will use, and
    the only one it's been fully tested with.

4) Open GScript.

0_drawer.png

5) On the GScript main window, you can see a pair of sample scripts already included. You need to touch the menu button and then on "Add script".

2_scriptbuttons.png

3_addscript.png

6) Browse for the .sh file on /sdcard/gscript, and tick "Needs SU?" if it's not already ticked, since this script needs a rooted phone.

4_selectscript.png

5_configscript.png

7) Once the new script is in the list of installed scripts, you only need to touch its name to launch it. The first time you do it, GScript will ask for root permissions. Allow it.

6_scriptlistfinal.png

Once you open the script, it will run automatically, and will end around 5-10 min. later, depending on how loaded your phone is. In order to be able to see every message shown by the script, it's better to raise the screen timeout, to at least 10 minutes. After execution, the output window will auto close, unless you cancel auto closing by touching anywhere on the screen except, of course, the close button.

The backups are stored under the /sdcard/clockworkmod directory (the script will create it if its not already there), under which it will create a new subdirectory, with the date and time of the backup, just in the same format CWMR uses.

During the execution of the script, you may see two error messages, which are not really errors, but warnings you can ignore. These errors are:

1) Errors creating directories at startup. If the script has already been used, or you have tried the backup inside CWMR, sdcard/clockworkmod/backup already exists. The script will tell you that, but it will keep working.

2) Removing leading "/" from member names: tar utility removes "/" from the input parameters, just that.

3) XXXXXXXX: socket ignored, where XXXXXXXX is the name of a file. Sockets are temporary files Unix apps use to communicate with other apps. Since they are temporary, tar just ignores them, so you can also ignore the error message.

On mi phone, after I close the results window, GScript force closes, but this doesn't affect the execution of the script. As I've read somewhere, it
    looks like this is a problem common to a lot of users.

DISCLAIMER:

This script is offered AS IS, with no warranty. It has been successfully tested on my own phone, and the generated backup was then perfectly restored from recovery with no issues, but I can't say it won't fail on other people's phones.

It's the first version, fully functional, but with some room for improvement. As it is right now, it's not error free, since it doesn't check if you have enough space left on the sdcard, or if you don't have any apps moved to the sd card. In fact, I have not tested it in such a situation, and I don't know what would happen if you backup your phone with no apps moved. On the other hand, it doesn't bakcup sd-ext, so if anyone has a second partition on the sdcard, to use Link2SD o a2sd, that partition won't be backed up, although data for apps linked to the second partition will. Anyway, even if it fails, you don't have to worry, since it won't change anything inside the phone. If you later restore a backup made with this script, you are doing it AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will not accept any responsibility for damage or data loss caused by the use of this script or restoration or any backup created with it.

Don't forget this script needs a rooted phone, and that performing some things on rooted phones is risky. If the worst case, you will always be able to recover the phone using Alcatel One Touch Upgrade on your pc.

Any comments or improvements are welcome, but if you change / improve anything, don't forget to share it with the community, so everyone can take advantage of it.

IMPORTANT:

This script is only suitable for the Alcatel OT-997D, and probably other phones by the same brand, if they have the "custpack" partition, exclusive to Alcatel. It won't work, unless code regarding the custpack partition is modified, in other phones, and I will not give support to users complaining the script doesn't work on their non Alcatel phones, or their Alcatel phones without s custpack partition.

FINAL NOTE:

Ok, that's it. Now, I'm going to have a rest, maybe until Alcatel release the long waited Jelly Bean update.

EDIT:

I had forgotten the "thanks" section:

Thanks to:

@dsixda, for the great kitchen

Bruno Martins (@bgcngm) for his valueable advice and his scripts to unpack/repack recovery of any MT657x based device

@yuweng, who developed the great kitchen plugin to port CWMR to any MT657x based device. and also pointed me in the right directory when I was trying to root the phone

@ameer1234567890, author of the great onandroid script. I haven't used your code, but it taught me I had to unmount and remount the sdcard on a different location to be able to backup .android_secure
    Hi,

i succesfully build cm10 for alcatel 998 (same as 997d/997 without dual sim but with nfc) will release the files next week i guess, still some things like wifi not working and i will have a look at that.

greets HUELK
    Now we just need a CM10 rom, then we're on! :D

we now have kernel (and more) sources online from alcatel:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/files/OT_997D_20121228.tar.xz/download

I'm downloading them... ;)