[GUIDE] Comprehensive S-OFF/Root Methods

Search This thread

cowboyv

Feb 16, 2012
Dang... I'm getting the same: FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)

I've renamed the radio zip to PG32IMG.zip and put it on the root of the SD card. Boot into bootloader and I see it loading on the side, but then it just goes back to the main screen of the bootloader. Its like it doesn't pass the check or something. I've verified its md5 and its good.

Yeah, I'm getting the same error. I have unlocked the bootloader, but still have S-On, hboot 0.97.0000 and radio 1.09.01.0622.
tried flashing 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG as PG32IMG.zip and it won't load. I tried reflashing the RUU as PG32IMG.zip and then flashing the radio again and the phone gets stuck in a loop; it will load into sense, stay there for a couple of seconds and then reboot.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: the phone stopped looping, but the revolutionary tool stays "waiting for device". Is there something I'm forgetting?
EDIT #2: Apparently, the phone will bootloop if I have the SD inserted, which is strange because I have formated the card and all I have in the root is both the RUU and the radio files.

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, I'm getting the same error. I have unlocked the bootloader, but still have S-On, hboot 0.97.0000 and radio 1.09.01.0622.
tried flashing 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG as PG32IMG.zip and it won't load. I tried reflashing the RUU as PG32IMG.zip and then flashing the radio again and the phone gets stuck in a loop; it will load into sense, stay there for a couple of seconds and then reboot.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: the phone stopped looping, but the revolutionary tool stays "waiting for device". Is there something I'm forgetting?

Disable fast boot in settings?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Grouper

Oct 11, 2009
Having the same problem. It will flash the big RUU fine but when flashing the small one it says it failed signature verification. I tried renaming and placing it on the sdcard but when I boot into the bootloader it will load and check the file, then just drops me right back to the bootloader menu without flashing the file or asking me if I want to flash the file, like it normally would...

What to do now?

EDIT: It booted up the first time fine. I didn't dare restart it for fear of a bootloop and did revolutionary S-Off and it worked fine. After rebooting it was bootlooping like crazy but I have S-Off and CWMR so all's good.

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
for anyone doing the tacoroot method having trouble flashing the radio at the end, just skip it, then flash it after you've got s-off. it took me about 10 minutes to figure this out, so i figured i should post this in case more newbz get stuck

Keep meaning to add this, but I'm always on my phone and forget later. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: wntrequinx

JoeNeckbone

Sep 22, 2011
NYC
Thank you so much for this guide. Just rooted the dinc2 of my girlfriend, used tacoroot to downgrade and than used revolutionary. I got real nervous towards the end when you flash the radio because I got the signature error, but when I realized it was the just a updated radio, I just restarted (maybe make this step optional?) and was fine..... I have rooted many phones but this is my first time that I needed to downgrade to root. I should have known that flashing the RUU would delete all data and put it back to factory (I have RUU'D before but thru windows and it gives the warning all data will be erased) maybe make this more clear in OP. Thanks again for all the work in putting this together!

loveVII

Jun 27, 2010
EDIT: Ignore the following message... I figured out my problem: hadn't correctly installed HTC Drivers... Derp... Problem solved.

Just got this phone. Unlocked via HTCDevUnlock. Trying to downgrade but getting stuck at:

adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3

C:\sdk-tools>adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Patching and backing up misc partition...
Error opening input file.

Any ideas on what this means? The md5 sum on the misc_version file checked out fine. This isn't my first S-OFF (I've done EVO 3D, Evo 4g, and Rezound) but it is definitely the most complicated... Having a hard time finding anything geared toward my software version..

Phone is:
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Hboot 0.98
Android 2.3.4
Software: 6.04.605.07 710RD
Ext4 Recovery
Rooted

Also tried "[Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98" but it had errors as well:

Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....

M:\Downloads\vwhk-12102011-c>sleep 10

M:\Downloads\vwhk-12102011-c>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/mi
sc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
/data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied

M:\Downloads\vwhk-12102011-c>adb reboot bootloader

M:\Downloads\vwhk-12102011-c>fastboot oem rebootRUU
< waiting for device >
... OKAY [ 0.294s]
finished. total time: 0.294s

M:\Downloads\vwhk-12102011-c>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))

finished. total time: 0.001s

Last edited:

JoeNeckbone

Sep 22, 2011
NYC
EDIT: Ignore the following message... I figured out my problem: hadn't correctly installed HTC Drivers... Derp... Problem solved.

Just got this phone. Unlocked via HTCDevUnlock. Trying to downgrade but getting stuck at:

Any ideas on what this means? The md5 sum on the misc_version file checked out fine. This isn't my first S-OFF (I've done EVO 3D, Evo 4g, and Rezound) but it is definitely the most complicated... Having a hard time finding anything geared toward my software version..

Phone is:
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Hboot 0.98
Android 2.3.4
Software: 6.04.605.07 710RD
Ext4 Recovery
Rooted

Also tried "[Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98" but it had errors as well:

Have you tried a different computer/cable? tried redownloading the files over? Are you using a USB 2.0 port and not 3.0 which is known to cause problems?

je2854

Oct 3, 2010
Houston, TX
cd C:/Android
md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Remove the space in the middle of the word radio before hitting enter, I don't know why it won't let me remove it. Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Result should be ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751
md5sums tacoroot.sh Result should be 6ec06d776feb212d8b2a55817eddf76d
md5sums misc_version Result should be 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de
adb devices Result should be your phone's serial number. If it isn't make sure drivers are properly installed and USB Debugging is enabled.
adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup This will reboot your phone. When you get to a screen with a red exclamation mark, press VolUp+Power until you get to a menu, then press VolUp+VolDown+Power until the phone turns off. Once it is rebooted, continue.
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --root
adb wait-for-device Running the step before this will reboot your phone again, this time it will be bootlooping, meaning it will not boot fully and get stuck on the boot animation. Once your prompt comes back after this step, you're good to continue even though the phone isn't fully booted.
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --undo This will reboot your phone one more time, this time fully stable and will boot completely. Continue once fully booted.
adb reboot bootloader This will reboot your phone to a white screen with a few options. Once you are at this screen, continue with the instructions.
fastboot devices Result should be your phone's serial number, again.
fastboot getvar mainver The result should be 2.18.605.3. If it is not, something was not done correctly, you'll need to restart from the beginning.
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a bit of time without giving any indication as to when it will be done, be patient and do not interrupt it.
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Same as the above, do not interrupt under any circumstances (unless you really wanted a phone-shaped paperweight :p)
fastboot reboot

I tried this way for 7 times -.-

The only way I got this to work for me on .98 was to use

miscversion -s 1.00.000.0

tacoroot.sh --unroot

adb reboot bootloader

any other way it wouldn't work but after I changed the mainver it did flashed with no errors.
Just thought I would give my results and as usual YMMV

Reactions: drmirza2000

loveVII

Jun 27, 2010
Have you tried a different computer/cable? tried redownloading the files over? Are you using a USB 2.0 port and not 3.0 which is known to cause problems?

I have two of these phones. Got one S-OFF, but the other is stuck at this same place. Can't get mainver to change, so I can't downgrade the RUU. I've tried:
- Reinstalling HTC drivers
- Different cables
- Different computer

Nothing seems to help. I can push misc_version into tmp folder but can't change the version... I'm at my wits end. I've S-OFF'd 3 other HTC phones and none of them were this complicated... Although I will admit I'm learning quite a bit about using ADB...

EDIT:
Got it figured out.
I had to alter the code a little bit to get su permissions:

C:\Users\Super PC>cd C:\Android

C:\Android>adb shell
$ su
su
# chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
# /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Patching and backing up misc partition...
# exit
exit
$ exit
exit

Before I was using "adb shell chmod 777..." and "adb shell /data/...." and I suppose SU wasn't kicking in for whatever reason. Oh well. I got it now. Hope this helps someone else trying to unlock with HTC Dev.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Corrections to HTC Dev S-OFF method... After you have SU installed, with phone booted into regular OS, use CMD to type:

adb shell this should produce a $
su this should change the $ to a #
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3 Hopefully you shouldn't get an error here!
exit back to a $
exit back to C:\WhateverFolderYoureIn
adb reboot bootloader This will reboot you to the white menu again.
fastboot devices Result should be your phone's serial number.
fastboot getvar mainver Result should be 2.18.605.3. If it isn't, make sure you didn't get any errors in the above code and everything was copied correctly.

Remainder of the instructions are the same... Again, this worked for me whereas the normal instructions only gave me errors no matter what I tried. Just wanted to share my results.

Last edited:

wntrequinx

Apr 19, 2012
Connecticut
Why does the radio hate me?

Ok, so before i saw the post about "you don't have to worry if the radio doesn't flash", i tried a couple of the suggestions to get the radio flashed correctly.

Unfortunately, by then, i had rebooted a few times, and triggered a bootloop probably caused by the hatred of the 1.09.01.0622 radio by the older ROM bits i'd updated.

At one point in my attempts to get the adb/etc to see the phone, it ended up rebooting into a 'updating from Verizon Wireless' screen... i pulled the battery (probably not my best idea ever), which may have contributed to said bootloop.

In order to end the bootloop (adb / fastboot/etc couldn't see it because it needed the USB debugging turned back on - or was just being a jerk to me), i did a factory reset.

Luckily, at this point in the process, a factory reset did not actually reset the phone totally and undo the previous successes in the early tacoroot.sh process. It did, however, trigger another 'updating from Verizon Wireless' - which I let finish on it's own, this time.

Unfortunately, I had Revolutionary running and 'waiting for device' -- so once I turned USB debugging back on, Revolutionary immediately started trying to Zerg it. That didn't end well, given that i hadn't yet turned fastboot off.

After a second factory reset to get rid of the newer bootloop (and after closing Revolutionary), I turned on USB Debugging and turned off Fastboot -- then Revolutionary did it's thing, i had S-OFF and the bootloop fairy hadn't returned to grant me another 20 minutes of 'fun'...

I tried updating the radio a few more times (redownloaded it and tried the PG32IMG trick, to no avail).

Finally, i found an older posting of a link to the radio needed (Radio version 1.09.01.0312 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27463473), and that download was apparently not hated by my computer, and worked on the first try (i renamed it to PG32IMG.zip and put it in my sdcard - and this time it finally asked me if i wanted to update my radio...).

i tried going into the stock recovery and now it's been sitting on the 'updating from Verizon..." screen for 10 minutes....

I have to say, this is the second Dinc2 trying the tacoroot.sh, where the radio hated me. (last time using the same zip from a different laptop fixed it - however this time i did the whole process from the previously successful laptop). I wonder if there isn't an issue with the hosted having a tendency to get corrupted on download by some machines...

Anyway, I am hoping this helps anyone who is stuck in a bootloop and is contemplating the factory reset, or who needs a link to a working copy of the radio.

Last edited:

ArslanQureshi

Sep 21, 2013
Lahore
Ok, so before i saw the post about "you don't have to worry if the radio doesn't flash", i tried a couple of the suggestions to get the radio flashed correctly.

Unfortunately, by then, i had rebooted a few times, and triggered a bootloop probably caused by the hatred of the 1.09.01.0622 radio by the older ROM bits i'd updated.

At one point in my attempts to get the adb/etc to see the phone, it ended up rebooting into a 'updating from Verizon Wireless' screen... i pulled the battery (probably not my best idea ever), which may have contributed to said bootloop.

In order to end the bootloop (adb / fastboot/etc couldn't see it because it needed the USB debugging turned back on - or was just being a jerk to me), i did a factory reset.

Luckily, at this point in the process, a factory reset did not actually reset the phone totally and undo the previous successes in the early tacoroot.sh process. It did, however, trigger another 'updating from Verizon Wireless' - which I let finish on it's own, this time.

Unfortunately, I had Revolutionary running and 'waiting for device' -- so once I turned USB debugging back on, Revolutionary immediately started trying to Zerg it. That didn't end well, given that i hadn't yet turned fastboot off.

After a second factory reset to get rid of the newer bootloop (and after closing Revolutionary), I turned on USB Debugging and turned off Fastboot -- then Revolutionary did it's thing, i had S-OFF and the bootloop fairy hadn't returned to grant me another 20 minutes of 'fun'...

I tried updating the radio a few more times (redownloaded it and tried the PG32IMG trick, to no avail).

Finally, i found an older posting of a link to the radio needed (Radio version 1.09.01.0312 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27463473), and that download was apparently not hated by my computer, and worked on the first try (i renamed it to PG32IMG.zip and put it in my sdcard - and this time it finally asked me if i wanted to update my radio...).

i tried going into the stock recovery and now it's been sitting on the 'updating from Verizon..." screen for 10 minutes....

I have to say, this is the second Dinc2 trying the tacoroot.sh, where the radio hated me. (last time using the same zip from a different laptop fixed it - however this time i did the whole process from the previously successful laptop). I wonder if there isn't an issue with the hosted having a tendency to get corrupted on download by some machines...

Anyway, I am hoping this helps anyone who is stuck in a bootloop and is contemplating the factory reset, or who needs a link to a working copy of the radio.

one should always check md5 sums before flashing radios as they can indicate a corrupted download

wntrequinx

Apr 19, 2012
Connecticut
one should always check md5 sums before flashing radios as they can indicate a corrupted download

Yeah, the md5sums was fine for the radio, the radio just failed the checks when it was flashed to the sdcard with fastboot.

There are several other posts on this forum that also indicate people got to the radio install and it wouldn't work, despite everything else working correctly.

Its some weird thing where it doesn't work for no good reason.

PS4AndroidHacker

Jul 11, 2009
Dalton,Ohio
www.facebook.com
What if we have only HTCDev Unlocked and rooted but not flashed a ROM, does it still work the same way? Just wondering, thanks for the wonderful guide!!

Get S-OFF after using HTCDev Unlock
(HSO)​
If you used HTCDev unlock and want to get S-OFF, follow this guide. What you get from going from HTCDev unlocked to full S-OFF is a full unlock instead of HTC's restricted unlock. This way, you can flash custom radios and flash ROMs without needing to extract and separately flash the boot.img. (Note: If you already installed a custom recovery and a custom ROM, flash this ROM and start at "adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version" in the code.) To do this, first download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to where you extracted it wherever it comes up. Next, download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. Download this zip as well and put it in your C:/Android folder, but do not extract it. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is recommended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Result should be ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751
adb devicesResult should be your phone's serial number.
adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /sdcard This might take a minute or so. If it gives an error, try "adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /mnt/sdcard"
adb reboot bootloader This should reboot your phone to a white menu, once it is there, continue.
fastboot devices This should return your phone's serial number.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img This might take a while, be patient and do not interrupt it. Once it is done, use the volume buttons on your phone to navigate through the menu until RECOVERY is highlighted, then press Power to select it. Your phone will reboot into another menu, once it shows up, select "install from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard," then scroll down and select CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip, and accept it. Once it is finished, press power then select reboot. Once you are fully booted, continue with the instructions.
fastboot getvar mainver Result should be 2.18.605.3. If it isn't, make sure you didn't get any errors in the above code and everything was copied correctly.
fastboot oem lock
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a while, be patient and do not under any circumstances interrupt it.
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip This will also take a bit, again, do not interrupt it.
fastboot reboot

That's the end of the code, you should be downgraded and can now get S-OFF by following the Revolutionary guide in the first post.

After S-OFF
(ASO)​
So, now you have S-OFF. Congratulations! The next step would be to flash a custom recovery, then either an su zip or a custom, rooted ROM. For recoveries, the choices are ClockworkMod, 4EXT or TWRP. I personally prefer 4EXT, but TWRP is also great and has many great features. ClockworkMod is a little slower, but still stable. All ROMs and recoveries for the Dinc2 can be found in the development forums (where you found this guide), and there are many different ROMs to choose from, so check them out! If you want something rock solid and completely stable, try out CondemnedSoul's CM7 or one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs, or if you want something newer, a bit faster, but maybe has a few minor bugs, check out one of the many ICS ROMs. If you want the latest and greatest, with a few slight bugs, go Jelly Bean with aeroevan's CM10. If you were looking to just root, download and flash the zip found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053, however, I would recommend that you try one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs such as Skyraider Zeus if you wanted something a bit different with extra features, or andybonestock for a faster, debloated ROM that looks and feels exactly like what you're used to, but rooted.

ArslanQureshi

Sep 21, 2013
Lahore
What if we have only HTCDev Unlocked and rooted but not flashed a ROM, does it still work the same way? Just wondering, thanks for the wonderful guide!!

yes you need to downgrade to .97 hboot to get s-off by revolutionary you should be ok if you follow all the steps there is some error in commands just use the corrections posted above if you have any other questions feel free to ask

ThisLameNigga

Dec 4, 2013
Please do not PM me with questions about this guide! I don't have time to help everyone through it, create a thread in Q&A if you don't have 10 posts or post here, there are other people who have done this and can help you, and I will get to it if I can. PMs asking questions about this guide will be ignored. Thank you.
Fully stable root methods for all firmware versions (no bootloops on 6.01.605.05 firmware!)

Table of Contents
To quickly find a section, hit CTRL+F and type the letters in parentheses, then click "Next"
(IRO) Intro: Read first!
(HDV) HTCDEV Unlock
(TCR) Tacoroot
(DWG) Downgrade tool
(RVL) Revolutionary
(HSO) S-OFF with HTCDev unlock (second post)
(ASO) After S-OFF (second post)​

INTRO
(IRO)​
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device while following these instructions. I will try to help you through problems as much as I can, but I can't guarantee success, especially if you do not carefully read the instructions.
This is a comprehensive guide of all known and fully stable root/s-off methods, at this time, it covers just about all firmware versions out there. Most of these methods will require the Android SDK, so download that (Google it. A link for this really isn't necessary, and I'm sure many people could use practice googling things. ;)) and set it up (again, just google "android sdk," the download page even has tutorials). The downgrade methods no longer require the sdk, but it is still reccomended that you download it as it is a very useful tool. Don't forget to download the device drivers here (only neccessary on Windows) and set the PATH variable.

So, which downgrade method should you use? Most likely you will either have firmware version 5.x or 6.x, you can find out under Settings>About phone. If you are using 5.x, go to the Downgrade Tool section; if you have 6.x, go to the Tacoroot section. Both methods eventually lead to the Revolutionary section, HTCDev unlock is not reccomended and, honestly, completely pointless (read more below).

HTCDEV UNLOCK
(HDV)​
Versions: All
HTCDev is HTC's "official" unlock, it will unlock the bootloader but leave S-ON. Don't do it. Seriously. It's a guaranteed voided warranty and pretty much a huge PITA (you can't flash radios and need to extract and separately flash ROM kernels), and s-off methods are completely stable and even relockable. That said, if for whatever reason you do wish to do this, just go to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/. If you want to obtain S-OFF at any time after using HTCDev unlock, see the second post.

Note: to flash ROMs when HTCDev unlocked, flash the ROM normally, then extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and boot into fastboot, then use the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img."

TACOROOT
(TCR)​
Versions: 6.01.605.05 firmware
Tacoroot is a temp root method discovered by Justin Case that will allow those on the newer firmware to flash an older version and root with Revolutionary. Before you begin, download this zip containing all the files you'll need:
http://d-h.st/yJQ

Extract this zip to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to the wherever you extracted it wherever it comes up. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is reccomended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Remove the space in the middle of the word radio before hitting enter, I don't know why it won't let me remove it. Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
adb devices Result should be your phone's serial number. If it isn't make sure drivers are properly installed and USB Debugging is enabled.
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup This will reboot your phone. When you get to a screen with a red exclamation mark, press VolUp+Power until you get to a menu, then press VolUp+VolDown+Power until the phone turns off. Once it is rebooted, continue.
adb wait-for-device Running the step before this will reboot your phone again, this time it will be bootlooping, meaning it will not boot fully and get stuck on the boot animation. Once your prompt comes back after this step, you're good to continue even though the phone isn't fully booted.
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --undo This will reboot your phone one more time, this time fully stable and will boot completely. Continue once fully booted.
adb reboot bootloader This will reboot your phone to a white screen with a few options. Once you are at this screen, continue with the instructions.
fastboot getvar mainver The result should be 2.18.605.3. If it is not, something was not done correctly, you'll need to restart from the beginning.
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a bit of time without giving any indication as to when it will be done, be patient and do not interrupt it.
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip Same as the above, do not interrupt under any circumstances (unless you really wanted a phone-shaped paperweight :p)
fastboot reboot

That's the end of the codes, you should be fully booted into the now downgraded version. Re-enable USB debugging, then continue to the Revolutionary section and follow instructions there.

DOWNGRADE TOOL
Versions: HBOOT .98, firmware below 6.01.605.05
This will not work with firmware version 6.01.605.05! Use the tacoroot method!
This tool will downgrade you to 2.3.3, which will allow you to use Revolutionary to gain S-OFF.
Download the tool here, and extract it to a folder where you can easily get to it in a command prompt/terminal.
Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, and turn on USB Debugging in settings. To ensure you are connected, open a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices". If you see a bunch of letters and numbers followed by "device," you're good to go.

Navigate to the files you extracted in a command prompt/terminal ("cd /path/to/folder," replacing /path/to/folder with the actual filepath), type "hack-vivow.cmd" and let it run. It may take a while and seem to get stuck on some commands, just leave it alone. After it's done, continue to the Revolutionary section. Yep, it really is that easy.

REVOLUTIONARY
Versions: GB 2.3.3, any others after downgrade methods
This is the final step that will actually get you S-OFF.
Go to the revolutionary website, click on the download link for your OS, you'll get a download right away. While it's downloading, fill out the form that pops up (if you don't know your serial number and have the sdk installed, open up a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices," the letters/numbers before "device" is your serial. Extract the files and run either revolutionary or revolutionary.exe depending on your OS, enter your beta key and say yes when it asks to install CWM recovery. Let it run, and you'll be S-OFF and ready to go!

If you have any questions/comments or found something that isn't right, go ahead and post, I would greatly appreciate any positive or negative feedback, as long as it's constructive.

Credits:
attn1 for Downgrade tool
Revolutionary team
Guhl for misc_version
jcase for Tacoroot
PalmerCurling for Tacoroot downgrade guide
MIVLives for bootloop fix
scotty85 for better Tacoroot downgrade and HTCDev S-OFF method
If you find anything I didn't give credits for and should have, let me know and I'll add it.

"Extract the files and run either revolutionary or revolutionary.exe depending on your OS" Extract to where and run?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not PM me with questions about this guide! I don't have time to help everyone through it, create a thread in Q&A if you don't have 10 posts or post here, there are other people who have done this and can help you, and I will get to it if I can. PMs asking questions about this guide will be ignored. Thank you.
    Fully stable root methods for all firmware versions (no bootloops on 6.01.605.05 firmware!)

Table of Contents
    To quickly find a section, hit CTRL+F and type the letters in parentheses, then click "Next"
    (IRO) Intro: Read first!
    (HDV) HTCDEV Unlock
    (TCR) Tacoroot
    (DWG) Downgrade tool
    (RVL) Revolutionary
    (HSO) S-OFF with HTCDev unlock (second post)
    (ASO) After S-OFF (second post)​

INTRO
    (IRO)​
    DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device while following these instructions. I will try to help you through problems as much as I can, but I can't guarantee success, especially if you do not carefully read the instructions.
    This is a comprehensive guide of all known and fully stable root/s-off methods, at this time, it covers just about all firmware versions out there. Most of these methods will require the Android SDK, so download that (Google it. A link for this really isn't necessary, and I'm sure many people could use practice googling things. ;)) and set it up (again, just google "android sdk," the download page even has tutorials). The downgrade methods no longer require the sdk, but it is still reccomended that you download it as it is a very useful tool. Don't forget to download the device drivers here (only neccessary on Windows) and set the PATH variable.

So, which downgrade method should you use? Most likely you will either have firmware version 5.x or 6.x, you can find out under Settings>About phone. If you are using 5.x, go to the Downgrade Tool section; if you have 6.x, go to the Tacoroot section. Both methods eventually lead to the Revolutionary section, HTCDev unlock is not reccomended and, honestly, completely pointless (read more below).

HTCDEV UNLOCK
    (HDV)​
    Versions: All
    HTCDev is HTC's "official" unlock, it will unlock the bootloader but leave S-ON. Don't do it. Seriously. It's a guaranteed voided warranty and pretty much a huge PITA (you can't flash radios and need to extract and separately flash ROM kernels), and s-off methods are completely stable and even relockable. That said, if for whatever reason you do wish to do this, just go to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/. If you want to obtain S-OFF at any time after using HTCDev unlock, see the second post.

Note: to flash ROMs when HTCDev unlocked, flash the ROM normally, then extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and boot into fastboot, then use the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img."

TACOROOT
    (TCR)​
    Versions: 6.01.605.05 firmware
    Tacoroot is a temp root method discovered by Justin Case that will allow those on the newer firmware to flash an older version and root with Revolutionary. Before you begin, download this zip containing all the files you'll need:
    EDIT: Looking for the files? See this post.

Extract this zip to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to the wherever you extracted it wherever it comes up. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is reccomended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot reboot

That's the end of the codes, you should be fully booted into the now downgraded version. Re-enable USB debugging, then continue to the Revolutionary section and follow instructions there.

DOWNGRADE TOOL
    Versions: HBOOT .98, firmware below 6.01.605.05
    This will not work with firmware version 6.01.605.05! Use the tacoroot method!
    This tool will downgrade you to 2.3.3, which will allow you to use Revolutionary to gain S-OFF.
    Download the tool here, and extract it to a folder where you can easily get to it in a command prompt/terminal.
    Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, and turn on USB Debugging in settings. To ensure you are connected, open a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices". If you see a bunch of letters and numbers followed by "device," you're good to go.

Navigate to the files you extracted in a command prompt/terminal ("cd /path/to/folder," replacing /path/to/folder with the actual filepath), type "hack-vivow.cmd" and let it run. It may take a while and seem to get stuck on some commands, just leave it alone. After it's done, continue to the Revolutionary section. Yep, it really is that easy.

REVOLUTIONARY
    Versions: GB 2.3.3, any others after downgrade methods
    This is the final step that will actually get you S-OFF.
    Go to the revolutionary website, click on the download link for your OS, you'll get a download right away. While it's downloading, fill out the form that pops up (if you don't know your serial number and have the sdk installed, open up a command prompt/terminal and type "adb devices," the letters/numbers before "device" is your serial. Extract the files and run either revolutionary or revolutionary.exe depending on your OS, enter your beta key and say yes when it asks to install CWM recovery. Let it run, and you'll be S-OFF and ready to go!

If you have any questions/comments or found something that isn't right, go ahead and post, I would greatly appreciate any positive or negative feedback, as long as it's constructive.

Credits:
    attn1 for Downgrade tool
    Revolutionary team
    Guhl for misc_version
    jcase for Tacoroot
    PalmerCurling for Tacoroot downgrade guide
    MIVLives for bootloop fix
    scotty85 for better Tacoroot downgrade and HTCDev S-OFF method
    If you find anything I didn't give credits for and should have, let me know and I'll add it.
    Get S-OFF after using HTCDev Unlock
    (HSO)​
    If you used HTCDev unlock and want to get S-OFF, follow this guide. What you get from going from HTCDev unlocked to full S-OFF is a full unlock instead of HTC's restricted unlock. This way, you can flash custom radios and flash ROMs without needing to extract and separately flash the boot.img. (Note: If you already installed a custom recovery and a custom ROM, flash this ROM and start at "adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version" in the code.) To do this, first download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. You can extract it somewhere else, just replace C:/Android with the path to where you extracted it wherever it comes up. Next, download this zip and extract it to C:/Android. Download this zip as well and put it in your C:/Android folder, but do not extract it. Now, connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, turn on USB Debugging under Settings>Apps>Development, and disable fastboot under Settings>Power. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Open a command prompt by opening the start menu, typing "cmd" and hitting enter. Type in everything that is in black text. Notes and extra instructions will be written in blue. It is recommended that you copy/paste the code to avoid typos, to do this, copy by highlighting the line and hitting Ctrl+C as usual; to paste, go to your command prompt and click the small black icon in the upper left corner. A menu will pop up, go to Edit>Paste. Make sure you have not highlighted any spaces before or after the line or any of the blue text. Now, begin copying the code:

md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip Result should be cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255, if it isn't, redownload the miniadb zip.
    adb devicesResult should be your phone's serial number.
    adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /sdcard This might take a minute or so. If it gives an error, try "adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip /mnt/sdcard"
    adb reboot bootloader This should reboot your phone to a white menu, once it is there, continue.
    fastboot devices This should return your phone's serial number.
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img This might take a while, be patient and do not interrupt it. Once it is done, use the volume buttons on your phone to navigate through the menu until RECOVERY is highlighted, then press Power to select it. Your phone will reboot into another menu, once it shows up, select "install from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard," then scroll down and select CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip, and accept it. Once it is finished, press power then select reboot. Once you are fully booted, continue with the instructions.
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip This will take a while, be patient and do not under any circumstances interrupt it.
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip This will also take a bit, again, do not interrupt it.
    fastboot reboot

That's the end of the code, you should be downgraded and can now get S-OFF by following the Revolutionary guide in the first post.

After S-OFF
    (ASO)​
    So, now you have S-OFF. Congratulations! The next step would be to flash a custom recovery, then either an su zip or a custom, rooted ROM. For recoveries, the choices are ClockworkMod, 4EXT or TWRP. I personally prefer 4EXT, but TWRP is also great and has many great features. ClockworkMod is a little slower, but still stable. All ROMs and recoveries for the Dinc2 can be found in the development forums (where you found this guide), and there are many different ROMs to choose from, so check them out! If you want something rock solid and completely stable, try out CondemnedSoul's CM7 or one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs, or if you want something newer, a bit faster, but maybe has a few minor bugs, check out one of the many ICS ROMs. If you want the latest and greatest, with a few slight bugs, go Jelly Bean with aeroevan's CM10. If you were looking to just root, download and flash the zip found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053, however, I would recommend that you try one of the Gingerbread Sense ROMs such as Skyraider Zeus if you wanted something a bit different with extra features, or andybonestock for a faster, debloated ROM that looks and feels exactly like what you're used to, but rooted.
    for anyone doing the tacoroot method having trouble flashing the radio at the end, just skip it, then flash it after you've got s-off. it took me about 10 minutes to figure this out, so i figured i should post this in case more newbz get stuck
    Updated, let me know how the new radio flashing method in the tacoroot guide works, also added After S-OFF section. As always, if you have any feedback, go ahead and post it, user feedback is the only way I can fix this if there's anything wrong, thanks!
    I had problems (boot loops) with doing this on a refurb as well (radio was indeed the problem). Flash a different radio and it should work (Currently running the new MIUI w Android 4.0.4 :D)

BTW, this method still works even on the recent refurbs that verizon is sending out...intead of the zergRush you have to use tacoroot tho.

This method using tacoroot instead of zergRush is exactly what this is lol. Basically what it does for anyone who is curious is tacoroot uses an exploit with the recovery log (which is why you need to reboot into recovery) to gain access to default.prop (or maybe it was local.prop, don't remember exactly), and it writes the line ro.kernel.qemu="1". This tells the system to boot as an emulator, which gives us temporary root access, so we can now use the misc_version tool to write that 2.whateveritwas number to the mainver, which tricks the system into thinking it has a lower version number, so we can flash an RUU that is actually a downgrade. This version is the one the Revolutionary tool was developed for, so then that can be use to get S-OFF. Long story short, zergRush and tacoroot are both methods to gain temp root which we use to trick the system into letting us downgrade. The only reason we need to use tacoroot now is because the zergRush exploit was patched in the latest firmware update.
    Edit: wow, was not expecting to be typing that wall of text when I responded to that lol, hopefully it helps people understand how this actually works.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2