Mio P550 / P350 ROM upload

Search This thread
G

GuestK0041

Hi folks,
I've got a Mio P550 and wish to flash with WM6.1. The unit came factory set up with WM5. From this site and many others, I've found the ROM that I want and instructions for flashing. So far, so good. However, I've not been able to complete the process because of something related to the following 2 mesages:
- lowlevelformat find ba; which occurs after a successful USB or SD ROM load. And then I get a...
- getblockstatus error.

The Mio seems to complete the process, because it asks to be restarted. However, I suspect that the actual memory chip may have issues and consequently does not take the re-flash.

Any suggestions whatsoever would be appreciated. Or locations for more info on this matter. Thanks much.
/cowxie
I got this message too but i was brave enough to restart, and it worked flawlessly. I
wouldnt worry about it.

cowxie

Nov 16, 2009
Thx, moonscapex. I did try to restart and only got a black screen. So, I re-flashed the ROM. Restarted and got a black screen. Tried 3-4 more times, each time got a black screen. Any other suggestions?

G

GuestK0041

You should
a) Re-download the ROM in case it got corrupt
b) Download a different ROM

Which ROM are you using now? I can give you links for one that works.

Could you try the wm6.5 ROM? It worked on mine really good. The download link is above in one of my other posts.

Hope this helps :)

cowxie

Nov 16, 2009
moonscapex, i've now tried wm6.1 and 6.5 without success. the one item that is consistent is the lowlevelformat and getblockstatus messages during the flash process followed by an unresponsive p550 (i.e black screen). any thoughts? suggestions?

cowxie

Nov 16, 2009
moonscapex,
i've tried both SD (on 512MB and 2GB, freshly formatted FAT16 cards) and via USB (using DNW v0.50I). In all cases, given the messages showing up throughout the Image File upgrade, it looks like the winceimg.bin file is read okay. But then the format process starts and i see the lowlevelformat msg, then a little while later the getblockstatus error. not sure what to do next...
/cowxie

G

GuestK0041

I've gone over almost all the troubleshooting I know. A couple things you could try is upgrade the BIOS (the thing that is used to upgrade) or try wm5.0 (the 3rd post i think). When you reset after the upgrade, do you see the white and green mio logo?

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
It is for both PDA's and i have been using it for 2 weeks on my mio.

Moonscapex,

As I understood this beta version for WM6.5 has not been optimized by Nixeus (alias CrashOverHead) yet and since the memory in the P550 is rather limited, did you experience any slowdown during navigation with TomTom or any application frozen due to insuffcicient memory? Thanks.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0041

Moonscapex,

As I understood this beta version for WM6.5 has not been optimized by Nixeus (alias CrashOverHead) yet and since the memory in the P550 is rather limited, did you experience any slowdown during navigation with TomTom or any application frozen due to insuffcicient memory? Thanks.
I found that it boots faster (20 seconds after the first boot) and has more free RAM. If you don't clutter it with hundreds of useless apps, it will be just as fast as wm6.1. If you uninstall an app, i would use sktools to completly remove it. I have about 25 apps, and my boot time is 2 minutes.

cowxie

Nov 16, 2009
moonscapex,
Thanks for trying to help me out, but i gave up and sent it back to a local, authorized Mio shop. They turned it around in 2 days, which i thought was great. They said that they re-flashed it, but... Maybe they used a JTAG setup or something else that i don't have. So, i'm a little leery about trying again to load wm6.1; i don't want it to cost me another $80

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
Installed all right WM6.5 on P550 but TomTom7...

Hello,

My beard is getting long and grey waiting for the final WM6.5 from CrashOverHead. So today in a moment of despair, I decided that I would flash my P550 with the beta version. Well, I have to say that MoonScapex has explained things really well. In fact I completed the work in less than 5 minutes.

When I started the new-look device, I realized that not only CrashOverHead has made a great Rom work but he also made miracles! My Mio has meanwhile become an Airis (from the initial Logo) and it is now equipped with the telephone capability! Of course I'm joking as I'm very admirative of CrashOverHead.

I recall Nixeus, the younger CrashOverHead, was struggling back in Sep 2007 asking loud and around for a Rom of some devices of his. 2 years later he wrote Rom with such a quality that turn happy thousands and perhaps hundreds of thousands of Mio customers all over the world starting with WM6.1. If it depended from me, I would designate "CrashOverHead for President!" (for the place of Sarkozy).

Coming back to earth, I realized that with this beta version, TomTom7 presents now abnormally big characters (only for its messages) and the map seems to stretch out more than normal. The version I installed was exactly the same as when the device ran with CE 4. I tried to search in TomTom customization and WM6.5 settings but found nothing useful. Do you have any idea?

Another point is that I found no way to decrease/increase the screen backlight. Could anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Last edited:

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
Hello,

1. The problem of stretched TT7 has been fixed. I actually installed by error the VGA version (480 X 640) instead of QVGA (240 X 320) version. Sorry!

2. I'm still unable to see how to gradually lower or increase the screen backlight to save battery life. This option was possible with the original Rom (CE 4.0) as far as I can remember.

3. By clicking on the battery icon on top-right corner, nothing happens! Is there a way that you know to check the level of battery?

4. I found that compared to my HTC Touch Cruise (2.8" 240 x 320), the resolution of the different icons is not that cut clear. Perhaps because the Mio screen is bigger (3.5") ? or perhaps there's something to tune that I'm unaware of?

5. Is there a place somewhere that talks about the application QuickGPS from HTC to fix satellites positions?

Sorry for so many questions especially when we know this is a Beta version! I wish only that CrashOverHead takes these into account for the coming Rom. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
MoonScapex,

By surfing in the AIRIS T620 forums, I read that even though the Airis T620 and Mio P350/P550 are clones, there's however some HW difference between them. That means that the ROM for T620 is slightly different from the ROM for P550.

I have downloaded and flashed WM6.5 to my P550 from the link you gave in your previous posts and everything went perfect. But now I have a small doubt. Everytime I reboot my P550, there's a logo of Airis that appears first! Do you encounter the same Airis logo on your device? Or have I simply downloaded and flashed the wrong version for Airis?

Thanks for your help.

G

GuestK0041

Yeah, I have that bootscreen on mine too. There's nothing wrong with it, and when the official Mio version is released, it will have the normal bootscreen.

JVChawk: The backlight widget will be released in the final version, Im not sure if you can get a freeware app or something to change it. To check the battery I use resco system info, but I think you can do it through the settings. Crashoverhead will probably fix the res of the icons. And I would look to xdadevs or an htc forum for the last question.

Last edited:

trooper44

Nov 16, 2009
Guys,

You discuss about the French version of the WM 6.5, don't you?

Or the English version is ready?

G

GuestK0041

When the English version is ready, you guys will be the first to know... Be patient, I think Crashoverhead will be releasing it sometime this month...

Last edited:

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah, I have that bootscreen on mine too. There's nothing wrong with it, and when the official Mio version is released, it will have the normal bootscreen.

JVChawk: The backlight widget will be released in the final version, Im not sure if you can get a freeware app or something to change it. To check the battery I use resco system info, but I think you can do it through the settings. Crashoverhead will probably fix the res of the icons. And I would look to xdadevs or an htc forum for the last question.

MoonScapex,

1. Thanks for the information on the backlight. By installing Resco Today, in the batterie area, there's a link for backlight at the bottom of the screen. There you can actually change the backlight. The light intensity varies when you move the cursor left or right.

2. For the QuickGPS, I downloaded the application extracted from HTC but miserably failed to make it work. As a matter of fact, I found nowhere packedephemeris.ee in Windows folder.

3. Another point is the keyboard. Mine is AZERTY and I warmly wish a QWERTY one. Then again by using Resco Keyboard I have a fabulous QWERTY keyboard with a very nice design.

4. Have you noticed that there's no soft Reset application in this Rom? I found one on the Web and it works like a champ. Its name is "Singh's Tings Soft Reset V1.00" . I integrated it in Resco Today and it sits there as a button.

That's it! Looking forward to testing the final rom.

jvchawk

Nov 17, 2009
When the English version is ready, you guys will be the first to know... Be patient, I think Crashoverhead will be releasing it sometime this month...

MoonScapex,

Sometimes I think you must be in a very close relationship with CrashOverHead because you know a lot of things that nobody else does!. I personnally think you must be his brother!

Jokes apart, I feel so grateful to CrashOverHead for that Rom that gave me so much fun. Half of the colleagues in my office have been shown for the 1st time of their life a Mio P550 running WM6.5!

G

GuestK0041

Haha not really, I've just done a lot of research about Windows Mobile and his ROM. Since my Mio is basically my PC, it is important that I can make it work the way I need it to. Good ideas for the back-light and reset, I will try them out.

Top Liked Posts