[Q] I can't load CWM on my SGS 4G (T-Mobile)

Search This thread

TamratAK

Feb 3, 2014
twitter.com
Hello all,

Okay, I admit that I am gonna get a lot of "use the search tool first" replies, but please hear me out. I have done my fair share of searching. Its not that I haven't found anything, its just the things I found are useless for this SGS 4G. I really wanted to install Cyanogen Mo on the SGS (its not actually mine, a friend asked me to do it since he saw my old SGS GT-I9000 running CM).

I am gonna try and give a detailed report :D . The phone was originally from T-Mobile and now unlocked permanently. Its running firmware version 2.3.3 that I installed just recently. I found out that I can't install CWM on the stock kernel or bootloader or whatever and I needed a new of the thing. So I went on searching and searching....found a handful of help but none work. Every method breaks at some point and I go to the "firmware update failed" thing on the phone, which I then install 2.3.3 again using ODIN and try another method. I have tried a lot of things. Hemidall, ODIN, SuperOneClick, and a lot of gibbrish-sounding methods. None work. I am now running 2.3.3. Here are some infos:

ABOUT PHONE:
Model Number: SGH-T959V
Firmware Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: T959VUVKF1
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-T959VUVKF1-CL270364
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.VUVKF1

The files I used to flash to 2.3.3 using ODIN v1.85:
PIT: Hawk_Sidekick_VibrantPlus_831.pit
PDA: CODE_T959VUVKF1_CL270364_REV00_user_low_noship.tar.md5
PHONE: T959VUVKF1-Phone-CL1020302.tar.md5
CSC: SGH-T959V-CSC-TMB-VIBRANTP.tar.md5

I hope the above infos are enough. So, can anyone help me and point me to the right direction on how to install CWM and then install CM10 or 9 on my friends SGS 4G?

Thanks,
Tamrat

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
Hmmm, an interesting set of binaries, ones that don't ring a bell with me. I'm used to seeing T959VUVKJ6.

Where did you find those? Half curiosity, half trying to understand the problem, half since much of the "old" images for the phones got lost when Multiupload and what have you were shut down.

For the SGS4G, the kernel, root file system, and recovery file system are all in "boot.img" -- flash one, you flash them all. They can be flashed through Odin (assuming you really like Windows), heimdall (multi-platform), through recovery, or from a root command line (for the adventurous only).

I would say the most robust way to get where you need to be would be to use Lumin's guide to make sure you've got a viable Gingerbread set-up going, then flash something reliable to get you to MTD, like TeamAcid's CM9.

From there, you should know that some of the KK ROMs use slightly different MTD partitioning and aren't a "just flash this ROM and keep your data" kind of thing.

Reactions: TamratAK

TamratAK

Feb 3, 2014
twitter.com
Hmmm, an interesting set of binaries, ones that don't ring a bell with me. I'm used to seeing T959VUVKJ6.

Where did you find those? Half curiosity, half trying to understand the problem, half since much of the "old" images for the phones got lost when Multiupload and what have you were shut down.

A long day Googling... and then a site turned up. One thing I forgot to mention was, before I installed this firmware, I had to use the "remove battery->plug usb->press the button combos->insert the battery" to enter download mode, but now I juts have to press vol down and power button.

Thanks for the reply,

TamratAK

Feb 3, 2014
twitter.com
Failure again

UPDATE:::

I tried to update to 2.3.6 as the guide suggests and I also wanted a clean stock OS in case the old one was not. But once again updating to 2.3.6 has been a pain. Kies Mini recognizes the phone but it doesn't recognize the firmware running on the phone. And also, firmware update is impossible since the button is greyed out.

I googled again and found the official 2.3.6 firmware for the phone (file name: T959VUVKJ6-REV00-home-low-CL694130.tar.md5) and tried flashing it using ODIN; absolutely no luck. It fails at the stage which says Slb.bin. Restarting the phone after that gives a "firmware upgrade failure" display. Only way to wake up the phone is to flash the previous OS back.

I am really confused here.

*********************EDIT***************

Some how, after like 10 retires and fiddling with ODIN, it finally flashed 2.3.6 to the SGS 4G. Still, fingers crossed.

*********************EDIT 2***************

Finally, its all working fine now. Thank you @jeffsf, thank you very much.

Last edited:

TamratAK

Feb 3, 2014
twitter.com
F*****************K

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: forgot an important step and now my IEMI number is gone........

do i throw the phone now, or is there any other way???

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Hopefully, you've backed up your data before starting to play around with ROMS. If so just load your backed up efs folder onto your storage & use Root Explorer to drop it over your existing one , it will overwrite your imei file & you will be good as new.
========================================================================================

I'm also in need of help, I have been running SlimSaber since last weekend, was wanting to try out Beanstalk. First full wipe, install & reboot wipe again, reinstall etc as per Dao's OP, but after the first install, it won't boot past the kernel splash. Tried again with same result. Decided to click it back to stock & start over, using Gremlin Remover (odin). Then saw that others were having similar issue so I tried to load in build from April1st.
But now it only boots back into recovery, won't boot to the OS ( everything indicated install was complete & no errors.)
1 clicked back again & just tried to put SlimSaber back on again, but have the same problem, will only boot into recovery.
I had to first load CM9 to get CWM 6.xx so I could install kk using TWRP

What am I not doing correctly? Thanks for any suggestions.

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
Flash kernel
Reboot recovery
Wipe all partitions
(Reboot recovery for good measure and wipe again if paranoid)
Install
Boot

If that doesn't do it, it is likely ROM or hardware.
---
Posted from whatever phone booted today

Reactions: christoophat

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Since this is running GB VUVKG4, could you recommend a kernel that would work & get me to TWRP (or CWM 5.xx+)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For the SGS4G, the kernel, root file system, and recovery file system are all in "boot.img" -- flash one, you flash them all. They can be flashed through Odin (assuming you really like Windows), heimdall (multi-platform), through recovery, or from a root command line (for the adventurous only).

I would say the most robust way to get where you need to be would be to use Lumin's guide to make sure you've got a viable Gingerbread set-up going, then flash something reliable to get you to MTD, like TeamAcid's CM9.

From there, you should know that some of the KK ROMs use slightly different MTD partitioning and aren't a "just flash this ROM and keep your data" kind of thing.
    Flash kernel
    Reboot recovery
    Wipe all partitions
    (Reboot recovery for good measure and wipe again if paranoid)
    Install
    Boot

If that doesn't do it, it is likely ROM or hardware.
    ---
    Either the Team Acid CM9 or Hefe Kernel should work.

---