[WORKING ROOT] How to root Amazon Fire HD 8 & 10! (NOT 5th Gen / 2016 model)

Search This thread

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
Hello everyone,
A fellow XDA member found that KingRoot now supports Kindle Fire HD 8 and Kindle Fire HD 10 on 5.1.1 as of 02/07/16! It is very easy, go to www.kingroot.net on your device, install the latest version (ignore any security warnings) and click root! You may want to install SuperSU etc. Disable OTA.

I have to go now, just wanted to make sure everyone knew the root is out and working!

Last edited by a moderator:

mikek9

Jun 12, 2010
Confirmed working in another post. Congrats and thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: nyln

borinous

Feb 11, 2016
used kingroot which successfully rooted my kindle fire HD 8 but then when i went to switch launchers its all gone wrong.

I copied the fire.launcher file to my sdcard then went back to remove it so i could use Google Now.

I then realised the Google Now app wasn't working as it was asking me to update Google Apps. so i copied the fire.launcher back into the sys folder i found it.

Then i lost launcher and could only access apps via the recent app tab.

so i rebooted and now it loads with no launcher.

I cannot do anything now.

ive tried rootjunkys unbrick method and it doesnt work for me.

Anyone got any suggestions

kanderson88

Feb 7, 2016
Do you have adb installed and working? We can try a few commands, you need to install Google apps in order to get now launcher to work. Your tablet is fine we just need to get adb shell command working. Use rootjunkys script for install play store.

kanderson88

Feb 7, 2016
My message didn't get posted. Odd. If you need help don't be afraid to message us.

Edit:
If adb is installed.
Open command prompt. Type "adb shell". Then type "su".
It should say root@thebes.
Now type this in.
Code:
pm install -r com.amazon.firelauncher
If it says install success, type "exit", then type "exit" again to get out of adb shell.
Now reboot your device.
If it fails let me know. :)

If you don't have adb installed, youtube how to install adb shell.
I have rootjunkys script on tip, Tricks, and the Root post.
http://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/tips-tricks-root-t3310569

Last edited:

borinous

Feb 11, 2016
Hi, thanks for the response.
Yes I have adb installed and yes I have Google apps installed I've been using rootjunkys super tools. I'll try your adb shell method

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Hi, thanks for the response.
Yes I have adb installed and yes I have Google apps installed I've been using rootjunkys super tools. I'll try your adb shell method

tried that and this is what i got

Ive manage to get ES file explorer installed and when i go to the com.fire.launcher folder its empty.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

sorted it.

Copied the fire launcher apk into the download folder while connected to my laptop. found it in ES file explorer and installed it.

now all working :) i guess in the process of trying to add a new launcher it must have copied the folder back but not the content.

phew!!! thanks for your help

jhebert121

May 10, 2010
Arkansas
I have the Google Play Store and framework. It just does not work.
It doesn't seem to be working for me either. I also have GApps and Framework installed per rootjunky's script.

Edit: About 10 minutes after posting this it just worked. I did the exact same operation I was doing, but this time it succeeded.

Last edited:

behradbv

Aug 1, 2015
Tehran
used kingroot which successfully rooted my kindle fire HD 8 but then when i went to switch launchers its all gone wrong.

I copied the fire.launcher file to my sdcard then went back to remove it so i could use Google Now.

I then realised the Google Now app wasn't working as it was asking me to update Google Apps. so i copied the fire.launcher back into the sys folder i found it.

Then i lost launcher and could only access apps via the recent app tab.

so i rebooted and now it loads with no launcher.

I cannot do anything now.

ive tried rootjunkys unbrick method and it doesnt work for me.

Anyone got any suggestions
So it means that kingroot is harmful for device?
is there another way to root called adb shell? how does it work?

borinous

Feb 11, 2016
No king root is fine. I just managed to balls up replacing the launcher. I had google now launcher installed but I didn't have Google apps installed correctly. Since fixing my issue I have now successfully replaced fire launcher with Google Now launcher. Which is better but it still needs a better OS. Finding the fire OS very laggy and I can't install the latest versions of some apps. Using kingroot with purify has helped performance in my opinion.

Reactions: behradbv

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
No king root is fine. I just managed to balls up replacing the launcher. I had google now launcher installed but I didn't have Google apps installed correctly. Since fixing my issue I have now successfully replaced fire launcher with Google Now launcher. Which is better but it still needs a better OS. Finding the fire OS very laggy and I can't install the latest versions of some apps. Using kingroot with purify has helped performance in my opinion.

I would not try directly installing Google now launcher, because it a little tricky sometimes
I install another launcher first, remove stock launcher, then install Now launcher

Sent from my Motorola XT1060 using XDA Labs

rachad85

Nov 1, 2008
Hi There, I have done just that, disabled the fire launcher, then the Nova was activated automatically. Afterwards, I installed the Google launcher and the Google app, uninstalled the nova launcher, reboot.. Now my kindle is stuck in "fire" logo and refuse to start. I cleared the cash partition also didn't work.. Any advice?

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I would not try directly installing Google now launcher, because it a little tricky sometimes
I install another launcher first, remove stock launcher, then install Now launcher

Hi There, I have done just that, disabled the fire launcher, then the Nova was activated automatically. Afterwards, I installed the Google launcher and the Google app, uninstalled the nova launcher, reboot.. Now my kindle is stuck in "fire" logo and refuse to start. I cleared the cash partition also didn't work.. Any advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Somebody needs to change the thread title to show this is not for the 2016 model.
    The only way I could use a different launcher (nova) properly was by changing the name of com.firelauncher.apk

/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.firelauncher.apk

I changed it to :

/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/--com.firelauncher.apk.--

(Some suggest to delete, but just changing the name worked for me.)

Just renamed back to com.firelauncher.apk and rebooted. fire launcher is running.
    Changed back to --com.firelauncher.apk.-- and rebooted. nova launcher is running.

I know it's more than an icon click but it works..
    Not sure why anyone would want fire launcher but, hey too each their own. :eek:
    Curious to see if home switching apps work with com.firelauncher is disabled.. :confused:

!! To all reading this post, make sure to install and setup a different launcher before disabling com.firelauncher.apk !!

Sent from my Amazon KFMEWI using XDA Labs
    I figured out a way. I moved the firelauncher.apk to /data/apps and changed the permissions to match the other user apps. Rebooted. Then got a prompt to select default launcher and the firelauncher was one of the choices. I am using Apex Launcher, which I had to put into /system/apps with appropriate permissions so that I could install wallpaper.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Has anyone been able to get live wallpapers to work? I did some messing around with file location and the wallpapers are showing up in the wallpaper selections, but they are unable to be set. I also tried several alternate launchers, didn't make a difference. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue. Any ideas?
    Do you have a link to this file. Seems to be missing from Google search.
    http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/?id=9793#downloads

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Labs
    only the full firmware file, I believe
    what errors did you see?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

if push command seemed to work
    may need to fix file permission
    adb shell chmod 644 /data/filename

Hi again, I have made several trials, all failed but suddenly it worked and started on Google launcher first run! I really don't know how and why! Perhaps the several reboots?
    I found this video on Youtube when I was looking for a way to root. it seems its practical
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVv1D_LNLTg

That is only for the 7inch model, this is the HD 8 and 10 section.