How to downgrade back to 1.00 radio and .77 HBOOT for the OTA (S-OFF ONLY!!!)

Search This thread

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
Note: You *MUST* be s-OFF for this to work properly. If you're not, it won't work.

1. Download this zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?mi4utrhbacdbbxt mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LSR7QG9W

2. Rename it to PB31IMG.zip (uppercase name and lowercase extension matters, make sure it's not .zip.zip also) and push it to the root of your sdcard, so it's /sdcard/PB31IMG.zip

2 1/2. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP (in case you ever want to go back)

3. Reboot into HBOOT by holding vol down while booting up, or by typing "adb reboot oem-42"

4. Hit vol-up when it asks if you want to apply the zip.

5. Wait for it to finish, then reboot when it asks you to.

Congrats, now you're back to stock 2.1-update1 with the original 1.00 radio.

thanks to aiccucs for his work in compiling the stock zip!

Last edited:

the337

Jun 5, 2010
just curious but don't you also need to put back the stock recovery back on? and that zip is stock without root, right?

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
just curious but don't you also need to put back the stock recovery back on? and that zip is stock without root, right?
Completely stock without root. Includes stock system, kernel, recovery, radio, and HBOOT as well as a data wipe. The only thing not stock is the fact you're still going to be S-OFF, but that's nothing really to worry about. VZW techs don't really know how to check that :p.

Last edited:

bast525

Nov 15, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
I had originally pulled the stock Rom image from the RUU (ran the RUU and snagged the image from the temp folder). I was able to flash back to that but had to do some trickery first pushing some files over to the phone in and then running some commands in ADB. Is this just that same image extracted directly from the stock RUU? Or has this been modified in some way?

I'm assuming it's either been modified to allow flashing without pushing those other two files first, or s-off disables the check that would normally throw a "image you are attempting to flash is older" error.

Last edited:

cuban11182

Jul 10, 2010
And having S-Off, if VZW tries to remove our root ability, all we would have to do is install SU back on correct?

Hatman41

Jun 4, 2010
Hermitage
I got the following quote from http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

"How can I use S-OFF to recover from an unrooted update?
S-OFF gives your device permanent NAND unlock in the booted system, and also disables HBOOT's signature checking on firmware zip files. So, even if you take a OTA that has not been rooted, you can simply flash a new recovery that allows you to install su, and use that to restore yourself to a fully rooted system. We have provided ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra recovery images for you to use for this purpose. "

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
I got the following quote from http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

"How can I use S-OFF to recover from an unrooted update?
S-OFF gives your device permanent NAND unlock in the booted system, and also disables HBOOT's signature checking on firmware zip files. So, even if you take a OTA that has not been rooted, you can simply flash a new recovery that allows you to install su, and use that to restore yourself to a fully rooted system. We have provided ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra recovery images for you to use for this purpose. "

Yeah, I don't think we need to revert to original hboot/radio/etc... I think we just need stock recovery and a stock rom to get the OTA

Ruggerxpunk

Jul 8, 2010
Yeah, I don't think we need to revert to original hboot/radio/etc... I think we just need stock recovery and a stock rom to get the OTA

I would hope this option is the case because I never updated my radio (still on 1.xx), so if I used the method in this thread wouldn't I risk bricking because I'd be flashing the radio on top of itself?

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
I would hope this option is the case because I never updated my radio (still on 1.xx), so if I used the method in this thread wouldn't I risk bricking because I'd be flashing the radio on top of itself?

Yes, so therefore you wouldn't have to do anything besides going back to a stock rom.

Honestly77

Dec 10, 2007

Also know if your rooted with s-on you cannot flash proper otas because the signature check is there and it want allow you to flash a legit signed ota with clockwork. Also know if you accept the ota you will loose root. And won't be able to gain it back without s-off. I really don't understand why people are so apprehensive. Live a little man. It's just a phone. Not a ferrari. Even though it runs like one.