Highly recommend Nova Launcher for S3

Search This thread

XdrummerXboy

May 21, 2012
AZ
Hey folks,

I highly recommend replacing the touch Wiz launcher with nova launcher. I have found it much more intuitive, and much easier to use. (I am not affiliated with Nova in any way.)

APEX is Far better in my opinion. It took a while to figure out the settings I like the most, but now that I have, I try to go to NOVA to see if they have an equivalent setting. They don't. I personally REALLY like APEX's ability to speed up home screen transitions, it looks more like the jelly bean style.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I used the paid version of apex for a long time in my Rezounds, but after using the paid version of Nova and A/Bing it with Apex I have actually decided I like Nova better in my G3.

Nova does everything I need it to and the unread gmail count works perfectly. The unread gmail count worked fine with Apex in my Rezounds, but I could never get it to work in the G3 with Apex some reason.

Death&co

Jun 13, 2012
I recently purchased Nova Launcher but haven't had the free time to set everything up the way I like it yet.

One thing I did notice was when I hit the home button it asked me which launcher I wanted to use. Touchwiz or Nova Launcher and if I wanted to select one as a default. Since Nova Launcher is completely new to me I choose TW as the default. Once I get everything set up, where can I go to make Nova Launcher the default?

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
I recently purchased Nova Launcher but haven't had the free time to set everything up the way I like it yet.

One thing I did notice was when I hit the home button it asked me which launcher I wanted to use. Touchwiz or Nova Launcher and if I wanted to select one as a default. Since Nova Launcher is completely new to me I choose TW as the default. Once I get everything set up, where can I go to make Nova Launcher the default?

Go into settings and select application manager. Then find Touchwiz launcher under all applications and press clear defaults.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA App

Reactions: Death&co

Mayze23

Aug 1, 2010
I love Nova Launcher and use it on my Nexus 7 but the TW weather widget has grown on me. AFAIK there is no way to use it on any 3rd party launcher :(

naveeds786

Oct 22, 2010
I have tried Nova and Apex but am having the same problem with both: I can't get scrolling wallpapers to work. When I select a wallpaper it forces me to crop it instead of letting me use the entire wallpaper. This causes black areas to show up when you scroll left/right. Also, landscape mode on the homescreen messes up the wallpaper. Any ideas on how to set this up properly?

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have tried Nova and Apex but am having the same problem with both: I can't get scrolling wallpapers to work. When I select a wallpaper it forces me to crop it instead of letting me use the entire wallpaper. This causes black areas to show up when you scroll left/right. Also, landscape mode on the homescreen messes up the wallpaper. Any ideas on how to set this up properly?

Well, my solution is to turn off scrolling WP which I never really liked anyway.

majixx11

May 19, 2011
Syracuse
For me, Apex and Nova were pretty close. I could bounce between the two but for now I'm using Nova since all my settings are already saved from my fascinate ;)

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
For me, Apex and Nova were pretty close. I could bounce between the two but for now I'm using Nova since all my settings are already saved from my fascinate ;)

I had the paid versions of both installed and was A/Bing the two for a while after using Apex for months on my old Rezound.

Yesterday, I finally uninstalled Apex after deciding I actually liked Nova better.

dukemagic

Apr 12, 2011
APEX is Far better in my opinion. It took a while to figure out the settings I like the most, but now that I have, I try to go to NOVA to see if they have an equivalent setting. They don't. I personally REALLY like APEX's ability to speed up home screen transitions, it looks more like the jelly bean style.
Nova can do that as well, unless I'm misunderstanding you. There's a few options for both home screen and app drawer transitions, from "relaxed" to "faster than light".

Can you provide some examples of stuff Apex can do that Nova can't? I've only installed Nova and am pretty happy with it so I'm not going to bother installing/setting up Apex unless there's a good reason.

Ansextra

Mar 1, 2011
Central NJ
I had the paid versions of both installed and was A/Bing the two for a while after using Apex for months on my old Rezound.

Yesterday, I finally uninstalled Apex after deciding I actually liked Nova better.
I did the same comparison testing between both paid versions and came to the same conclusion. Apex just didn't refresh my wallpaper as smoothly as Nova when switching screens. But I haven't deinstalled Apex. I figure I've got plenty of space for it and if I'm not using it then it's not using battery (I hope)...

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
But I haven't deinstalled Apex. I figure I've got plenty of space for it and if I'm not using it then it's not using battery (I hope)...

I'm not really sure if it affects battery life or not, but after I had decided 100% to use Nova I figured I would uninstall Apex and not take any chances on it (I have TouchWiz frozen with Titanium backup)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just fyi... the "work around" to get the app drawer alphabetized is clicking the menu button with the app drawer open and then clicking, "view type" and switching to alphabetized. Not exactly complicated. Or even a work around.

Nova is great, but I'm actually enjoying touchwiz. I do want to switch over and play with nova more... But eh, not seeing a huge need. Coming from sense (which I hated) I'm quite happy on tw.

Though I do miss being able to back everything up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey folks,

I highly recommend replacing the touch Wiz launcher with nova launcher. I have found it much more intuitive, and much easier to use. (I am not affiliated with Nova in any way.)

Several advantages:

1. The bottom bar (dock) of apps is highly customizable, with as many apps as you choose. You can also create multiple pages of docked apps, so it's possible to access 10 or 15 apps on the lower dock.

2. The App drawer is automatically alphabetized, unlike touch Wiz, which I find so much easier to use. There are of course workarounds on touch Wiz, but why bother? I just dock the icon for the app drawer on the lower dock so it's always available.

3. Nova has one step back up of your screen layouts so that if you are wiping your phone regularly in order to reflash ROM's, it's trivial to reset your screen layouts by doing a restore from nova. This saves a lot of tweaking time.

4. You can customize the layout of your desktop with variable margins, a persistent search bar on all pages, gestures, and with nova launcher prime ($4), you also get unread counts for SMS, missed calls, and Gmail, which is very nice.

5. Basically everything is customizable and modifiable. I greatly prefer it over the stock touch Wiz launcher. Check out the free version of nova, as it has virtually all the features other than the unread counts.
    I noticed Nova was a bit smoother than Apex for me, so I've been using Nova and loving it :)

Apex and Nova are both based on the stock 4.0.x ICS launcher, so they're very similar, but Apex gives more features for free.

You're definitely making a mistake if you use Go Launcher or ADW or LauncherPro on this phone, since those are Gingerbread-based. The ICS launcher is just a much, much better base.

Go into settings and select application manager. Then find Touchwiz launcher under all applications and press clear defaults.