Straight talk $45 unlimited plan

Search This thread

toddrosenberger

Aug 3, 2011
cincinnati
Does anyone have this plan? Im wondering if and when they throttle data, i called st but can't get a straight answer. Right now i get throttled after 5gb, if straight talk gives you at least 5gigs of full speed data it would be well worth switching for me. Just seems too good to be true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

yomuppet

Jan 4, 2012
if straight talk gives you at least 5gigs of full speed data it would be well worth switching for me. Just seems too good to be true.

They don't, common wisdom is that it's more like 2g/mo and 100m/day before ST throttles, but you won't get an answer out of them, ever.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
You should look at the prepaid thread in my sig. It details all of the plans and there are lots of testimonials of people using them.

Common wisdom is that the Straight Talk plan caps at 2gb per month (theres no way they could do 5gb data at the $45 price point).

If you want more data you're either going to have to go with the $60 Simple Mobile plan, which gives 5gb+, or the T-Mobile Prepaid plans, 2 of which offer 5gb (then throttle).

Reactions: grenefroggie

toddrosenberger

Aug 3, 2011
cincinnati
You should look at the prepaid thread in my sig. It details all of the plans and there are lots of testimonials of people using them.

Common wisdom is that the Straight Talk plan caps at 2gb per month (theres no way they could do 5gb data at the $45 price point).

If you want more data you're either going to have to go with the $60 Simple Mobile plan, which gives 5gb+, or the T-Mobile Prepaid plans, 2 of which offer 5gb (then throttle).

so you are sure the simple mobile plan gives 5gb before throttling? Cannot find any definite number on their website just like straight talk. On tmobile/att/cincinnati bell websites it tells you the amount of data used where you will be throttled. At least they are up front about it.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
so you are sure the simple mobile plan gives 5gb before throttling? Cannot find any definite number on their website just like straight talk. On tmobile/att/cincinnati bell websites it tells you the amount of data used where you will be throttled. At least they are up front about it.

It's not published, but just crowd-sourced that they offer 5GB of data. Many MVNOs choose not to publish whether or not they throttle/cap or at what point.

toddrosenberger

Aug 3, 2011
cincinnati
So after 5gb are you throttled or are there overage fees? Im assuming throttled since it's called unlimited. And simple mobile uses tmobiles network, correct?

skyhigh2004

Oct 10, 2010
Saint Cloud MN
My question for anyone using the gnex and ST is, does the phone use T-Mobiles network or atts? I read you can use either a T-Mobile or att phone and was wondering since the gnex is pentaband if you could potentially bounce from one network to the other based on which one had better signal? Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
My question for anyone using the gnex and ST is, does the phone use T-Mobiles network or atts? I read you can use either a T-Mobile or att phone and was wondering since the gnex is pentaband if you could potentially bounce from one network to the other based on which one had better signal? Thanks in advance guys.

You choose when you start the service whether you're going to get an AT&T SIM or a T-Mobile SIM (they can pick for you based on your zip code, but you can choose manually). You can't bounce back and forth, because the SIM is only provisioned for AT&T towers or T-Mobile towers. There's no roaming between the two.

When you order, its easy to tell. In the cart it will say "AT&T compatible SIM card" or "T-Mobile compatible SIM card".

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhigh2004

skyhigh2004

Oct 10, 2010
Saint Cloud MN
You choose when you start the service whether you're going to get an AT&T SIM or a T-Mobile SIM (they can pick for you based on your zip code, but you can choose manually). You can't bounce back and forth, because the SIM is only provisioned for AT&T towers or T-Mobile towers. There's no roaming between the two.

When you order, its easy to tell. In the cart it will say "AT&T compatible SIM card" or "T-Mobile compatible SIM card".

Thank you kindly sir.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cLOUDFAn

Dec 16, 2007
NYC
straight talk is great as long as nothing goes wrong (which luckily is my case)
faster data speed than simple mobile and very good coverage
however their customer service is non-existent
calling them is a waste of time
try their facebook page if you really wanna have something done
much more responsive (they probably won't fix your problem immediately but at least they are responding)

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you kindly sir.

Most welcome, sir.

straight talk is great as long as nothing goes wrong (which luckily is my case)
faster data speed than simple mobile and very good coverage
however their customer service is non-existent
calling them is a waste of time
try their facebook page if you really wanna have something done
much more responsive (they probably won't fix your problem immediately but at least they are responding)

This is true of prepaid carriers. You save money but get no service. I call CS maybe once a year, so I think that's worth saving $40 a month on service.

rock7632

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
Has anyone on straight talk At&t sim tried doing a voice call or video call using Google Talk? when I try I get a message saying I need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. Anyone else getting this?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

saint327

Feb 27, 2009
Orlando Area
I am now using my Galaxy Nexus with Straight Talk on the TMO ST SIM card. Overall its great. One thing I've noticed though are the ping times. On ST I can never get a ping better than 300ms using the speedtest.net app. Also several times when I've woken my phone from idle, I notice it says its not in sync with Google services...the bars are grey and not blue. It usually goes blue again within 30 seconds saying it synced. I think it may be related to the ping issue, as I think ST data goes through a proxy before going out over the TMO network to destination. The data speeds themselves seem the same as they were when I was on Tmobile, but I seem to recall being able to get around 100ms pings or less in the same locations when I was on Tmobile.

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
I am now using my Galaxy Nexus with Straight Talk on the TMO ST SIM card. Overall its great. One thing I've noticed though are the ping times. On ST I can never get a ping better than 300ms using the speedtest.net app. Also several times when I've woken my phone from idle, I notice it says its not in sync with Google services...the bars are grey and not blue. It usually goes blue again within 30 seconds saying it synced. I think it may be related to the ping issue, as I think ST data goes through a proxy before going out over the TMO network to destination. The data speeds themselves seem the same as they were when I was on Tmobile, but I seem to recall being able to get around 100ms pings or less in the same locations when I was on Tmobile.

Would changing your apn settings help out at all? I have a recommendation but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I initially signed up for straightalk I did auto-refill for every month. If I want to switch to paying once every 3 months like you do, do you know what I need to do? I logged into my account on their site and looked everywhere but couldn't find any info on switching.

I remember that, there was no way to switch off, so to speak, that auto refill.

All I did was call Straight Talk customer service. They are foreign-based and sounding, but I have found them extremely helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. (I was very surprised.)

So simply dial 611 from the phone and ask them to show where that is on the website or to cancel auto-refill and let you pay three months at a time.

In regards to calling Straight Talk and how I am surprised by their good custo service, when I called what had happened is I forgot that the website had the APN settings on the website with instructions on how to enter the info on to the settings area of the phone. A CSR could have well told me "look at the website you mo#ron." Instead she walked me through doing it on the phone, step by step.

Sidenote: This was the kind of customer service I used to experience with T-Mobile, before their service moved out of country, into the sewers of Paris.

i called but can't get a straight answer.

Lol. #notsosatraighttalk

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium
    Right, but my concern is that I just topped up... My initial month was supposed to end on the 11th of August (hoping the 12th would give me normal speeds). For my convenience however, I decided to buy another $45 card and throw it into "my reserve". Now it says my service end date is 9/10/12

So will my 30 days of unlimited service up until August 11th be trashed once it hits August 12th and then reapply another 30-day Unlimited plan, offering me normal data speeds?

I'm not a heavy data user. I just used the first month to test data speeds and compare to AT&T (but I've used roughly 3GBs so now I'm throttled) Now, I just want normal speeds so it doesn't take 5 minutes to install a 3MB app when I'm out.

Well it was set to end on August 11 because you didn't have enough $$ to continue another month. You added $45 and now your account has enough $$ on it to renew and work another 30 days, making it end September 10 (there are 31 days in Aug, so that's why it goes from the 11th to 10th). The current "month" of service still ends and the data usage statistics reset on August 11th. All it's saying is that you've paid enough now to extend another 30 days.

Does anyone know how the service is in LA?

Ask people in your area how AT&T or T-Mobile is. That's your answer lol.