[Q] Entered *#197328640# but no UMTS menu

Search This thread

abyss1957

Feb 17, 2011
Some time ago I was able to downgrade my S3 i9300 from Claro to 4.1.1. I did this in order to unlock the phone, and based on what I read here and on the web I needed 4.1.1 in order to get the menu that unlocks the cell. However after doing all the instructions and getting the cell rooted when I type the code *#197328640# I only get the same menu that was there when I had the 4.1.2 version on the cell, and of course it will not let me unlock the phone.
Is there any other way, like modifying some file or something like that, which could help unlock it? I am not afraid of having to use and editor to mess around with files. Any help will be appreciated. :confused:

darkmage93

Mar 1, 2010
Iasi-Cotnari
Some time ago I was able to downgrade my S3 i9300 from Claro to 4.1.1. I did this in order to unlock the phone, and based on what I read here and on the web I needed 4.1.1 in order to get the menu that unlocks the cell. However after doing all the instructions and getting the cell rooted when I type the code *#197328640# I only get the same menu that was there when I had the 4.1.2 version on the cell, and of course it will not let me unlock the phone.
Is there any other way, like modifying some file or something like that, which could help unlock it? I am not afraid of having to use and editor to mess around with files. Any help will be appreciated. :confused:

type the code, go to 1.debug screen, then 8.phone control, and then 7.network lock. i'm currently on 4.1.2 (with mg4 modem), and i can't get past 7.network lock (it says menu not exist). please let me know if on 4.1.1 you are able to get past 7.network lock and unlock the phone, cause i want to downgrade too on 4.1.1 for unlocking.

abyss1957

Feb 17, 2011
I get the same thing you are getting with 4.1.2, my stayed as it was on 4.1.2. The downgrade did not work.:confused:

abyss1957

Feb 17, 2011
Second try

Sorry you gave up I am still fighting with mine. I found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1737449
posted by Faryaab back in June 2012 and it's got to builds on the page that were supposed to be previous builds for 4.1.1. What I would like to know if someone is monitoring this is if those builds are still working so that I can download and experiment with them to see if I finally get the menu to unlock. Any help will be welcomed. :confused:

darkmage93

Mar 1, 2010
Iasi-Cotnari
Sorry you gave up I am still fighting with mine. I found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1737449
posted by Faryaab back in June 2012 and it's got to builds on the page that were supposed to be previous builds for 4.1.1. What I would like to know if someone is monitoring this is if those builds are still working so that I can download and experiment with them to see if I finally get the menu to unlock. Any help will be welcomed. :confused:

well, why dont you pay a few dollars and unlock it? i can put you through the guy that helped me. you need a decent pc and a good internet connection.

darkmage93

Mar 1, 2010
Iasi-Cotnari
It seems that there is a way to unlock 4.3, use this tutorial that @.NetRolller 3D sent to me. Firstly, i think you need to update to 4.3, then follow the steps:

Hi!

Follow this tutorial:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1718665

Skip steps 9-12 (including the reboot step - important! Do NOT reboot mid-unlock, or you will have to start over!)
Instead, execute (at a Unix shell) the command "(cat nv_data.bin; echo -n Samsung_Android_RIL) | md5sum" on the NEW (modified) nv_data.bin to get the md5 value to use in step 14.

Should work with 4.3 or even KitKat when it's released, unless Samsung fundamentally changes the way SIM locking works on this phone. Samsung closed down the original Voodoo unlock in an update by removing the "correct" MD5 printout from the log error messages, but the signature scheme is unchanged, and trivially easy to overcome once you know the magic constant "Samsung_Android_RIL" appended to the end of nv_data.bin.

Please let me know if it works for you so we can make a sticky topic for people who want to unlock 4.3. :good:

abyss1957

Feb 17, 2011
Only one thing

It seems that there is a way to unlock 4.3, use this tutorial that @.NetRolller 3D sent to me. Firstly, i think you need to update to 4.3, then follow the steps:

Please let me know if it works for you so we can make a sticky topic for people who want to unlock 4.3. :good:

Thanks darkmage93 for this link. Like the modified instructions say: "Instead, execute (at a Unix shell) the command "(cat nv_data.bin; echo -n Samsung_Android_RIL) | md5sum" on the NEW (modified) nv_data.bin to get the md5 value to use in step 14." This is the only thing I do not know how to do. I never worked with Unix, and if it is done with in the phone I still don't know. The only funny thing is when I looked at the nv_data.bin it already had the number changed to 00. I will look some more and may finally go with the paying option. :laugh:

darkmage93

Mar 1, 2010
Iasi-Cotnari
Thanks darkmage93 for this link. Like the modified instructions say: "Instead, execute (at a Unix shell) the command "(cat nv_data.bin; echo -n Samsung_Android_RIL) | md5sum" on the NEW (modified) nv_data.bin to get the md5 value to use in step 14." This is the only thing I do not know how to do. I never worked with Unix, and if it is done with in the phone I still don't know. The only funny thing is when I looked at the nv_data.bin it already had the number changed to 00. I will look some more and may finally go with the paying option. :laugh:

i don't know either how to use unix, but i could've find out how if i weren't unlocked already. i feel sad now that i didn't recieved NetRoller's PM earlier :( maybe this tutorial works... so do some researching and see what you can do.

cyup93

May 2, 2011
Any progress for unlocking S3 on MG4+ Baseband?

Hi
I have just bought a 2nd hand Galaxy S3, it's looked and on Android 4.3
I just downgraded to 4.1.2 and tried GalaxySimUnlock.apk but no success ( it says that the current EFS is not supported)
I am wondering if there is any solution for unlocking i9300 with EFS v2 (mg4+)