[REF][4/20/11] VZW ED01 Froyo OTA/Source Code

Search This thread

GizmoDroid

May 14, 2010
[SIZE=+1]OTA[/SIZE] [4/20/11]

Not yet being pushed to the phone, but will probably be pushed within the next 24 hours.

Verizon ED01 Release Notes PDF
Verizon OTA Update Instructions PDF

[SIZE=-2]
Verizon ED01 Release Notes PDF said:
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, i500.ED01, for your Samsung® Fascinate.™ This update includes numerous enhancements and improvements, including an update to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo).

Verizon Wireless and Samsung encourage you to download this update.

Web Browsing and Data Access
  • Device now supports Adobe® Flash® 10.1.
  • Enhanced browser performance for faster loading of webpages that include JavaScript.
  • Search the web via Bing™ Voice Search without interruption.
Email and Messaging
  • Move messages between folders in the Exchange email client with ease.
  • Easily delete all messages in your sent and trash folders within your Exchange email account without being prompted to close the application.
  • When using the Swype® feature, sentences are now displayed with the proper use of upper and lower case letters.
Call Features
  • “Dialed Calls” correctly displays within the dialer application.
  • When connected to a Bluetooth® device, pressing the speaker button will properly activate the speakerphone.
  • Turning on the backlight when the phone is mounted in the car dock will no longer automatically activate the speakerphone.
  • Improvements to the Voice Commands application allows you to accurately search contacts by name and number, even when the Contact List contains duplicates.
Additional Device Features
  • Color and text scheme in the Calendar has been improved for better readability.
  • “Feeds and Updates” widget improvements for auto-refresh feature.
  • V CAST Apps is now preloaded.
  • Samsung Media hub is now preloaded.
  • Ability to allow automatic app updates in Android Market.
For step-by-step instructions on how to perform the download, please visit verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Source Code[/SIZE] [4/15/11]

Contains kernel source code, and a butchered platform source base.

Download @ Multiupload.com
Download @ opensource.samsung.com
Download @ android.atemycode.com - Thanks to CrucialBT

ed01.png

Last edited:

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
Let the fun begin! Fully functioning AOSP, CM7, and MIUI anyone?

Yeehaw!

running premium

luke949

Feb 9, 2011
no way! is this official!? Official Froyo for verizon fascinate? can someone confirm! I SO EXCITED!

ilprobu2

Sep 17, 2010
Is this the end ofthe world.. fascinate gets an update and in national news the world explodes tonight.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+1]OTA[/SIZE] [4/20/11]

Not yet being pushed to the phone, but will probably be pushed within the next 24 hours.

Verizon ED01 Release Notes PDF
    Verizon OTA Update Instructions PDF

[SIZE=-2]
    Verizon ED01 Release Notes PDF said:
    Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, i500.ED01, for your Samsung® Fascinate.™ This update includes numerous enhancements and improvements, including an update to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo).

Verizon Wireless and Samsung encourage you to download this update.

Web Browsing and Data Access
    • Device now supports Adobe® Flash® 10.1.
    • Enhanced browser performance for faster loading of webpages that include JavaScript.
    • Search the web via Bing™ Voice Search without interruption.
    Email and Messaging
    • Move messages between folders in the Exchange email client with ease.
    • Easily delete all messages in your sent and trash folders within your Exchange email account without being prompted to close the application.
    • When using the Swype® feature, sentences are now displayed with the proper use of upper and lower case letters.
    Call Features
    • “Dialed Calls” correctly displays within the dialer application.
    • When connected to a Bluetooth® device, pressing the speaker button will properly activate the speakerphone.
    • Turning on the backlight when the phone is mounted in the car dock will no longer automatically activate the speakerphone.
    • Improvements to the Voice Commands application allows you to accurately search contacts by name and number, even when the Contact List contains duplicates.
    Additional Device Features
    • Color and text scheme in the Calendar has been improved for better readability.
    • “Feeds and Updates” widget improvements for auto-refresh feature.
    • V CAST Apps is now preloaded.
    • Samsung Media hub is now preloaded.
    • Ability to allow automatic app updates in Android Market.
    For step-by-step instructions on how to perform the download, please visit verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Source Code[/SIZE] [4/15/11]

Contains kernel source code, and a butchered platform source base.

Download @ Multiupload.com
    Download @ opensource.samsung.com
    Download @ android.atemycode.com - Thanks to CrucialBT

ed01.png
    Speaking as a "Developer" (sortof) all of you should just take it down a notch. That being said I'll make my two points and step back to let the flame war continue.

1. The topic is posted on the development board, other than the OP I counted ONE POST by an actual developer (nitsuj17) and the rest are either "yay!! i wantz it!" or "shhh, don't piss of the developers" posts. Take out all of these (including mine) and you'd have 2 posts that pretty well sum up the topic. everyone else is contributing to off topic clutter (including myself, but I feel it must be said). This is why development takes place in IRC instead of on XDA, because of all the useless interjections by people who have no interest in development, but simply state what they would like out of a finished product. I doubt any Dev is reading past the first post. If there could be less people polluting the development forum with useless posts then maybe this forum could become a place to develop again.

2. IMO 95% of devs do what the do because they enjoy it, or for themselves. Not because of the praise, not because of the thanks, not even because of the donations. A sense of entitlement may turn some of them off, but if they're doing it for themselves, and sharing what they've done, then it's no reason to stop. It's great that you're thinking of the devs when you stand up against the demands of the unwashed masses, but really they're probably never going to see it.

"This is the truth! This is my belief!... at least for now."
    For the love of God people, the Dev's do what they do for this community because they want to. Not because they have to, or they know people want them to. Dev's that do work for FREE do it because they ENJOY it. Trust me, I know as I'm developer myself (just not for android, yet). Everyone complaining about people getting excited is just stupid and ruining the good news that this thread has brought us.

Truth is, we now have official Froyo source from the people who actually created our phones in the first place. This will likely help our community by leaps and bounds. I doubt ANY developer for this phone will be upset because people are EXCITED about this. We ALL know that having actual source that is meant specifically for our phones is a good thing.

So with that being said. Dev's (current and/or future) rev your engines!
    I'm just amazed at how polished the work is that the devs do for free. Humanitarians, that's what they are. Imagine being on stock TouchWiz this entire time. Imagine life with bloatware, no custom kernels, limited customization of the ui, limited to whatever Verizon deems allowed for our phones. Imagine that the only thing you could do to improve your battery life was to give more money to Samsung for a new battery.

I can't wrap my mind around how they are able to get so much done. We are unbelievably LUCKY to have and have had developers that are this talented. I wish I had their talent, hell I wish I had the spare time to learn more to do stuff myself.

And one more additional thought, we should have a stickied donation thread listing every recognized XDA developer and their donation link. Even as a poor grad student I try to contribute to the community the (currently) only way I can now, which is by monetary means. Developers do this for fun and on their own free will and donations should be contributions done with the same mentality. No one owes anyone anything other than a polite thank you for when your own common sense deems necessary. A community thrives when everyone contributes in some way, not a bunch of people demanding the work a few provide. Especially when the work is done for free and in their spare time.

Also thank you to the Mods for providing an organized and centralized place for all this talent to be shared.
    Maybe it's just me but I winced at more than a few comments in this post, and I wouldn't doubt that the developers around here will do the same. People should take more care in writing up their posts as to not sound like they are entitled to something and show a little more respect to those who put their free time into this ;).

/rant

^this. Come on people, the Devs do this for free. If you expect something you should be talking to the people you pay every month.