[Q] Needing a bit of clarification before purchase

Search This thread

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010
I'm coming from an HTC device which required both rooting and flashing an unlocked bootloader, so I'm a bit confused as to the ease as to which it seems this device can be rooted.

After digging though the forums, I have a few questions:

I'm seeing nothing in regards to unlocking the bootloader, so I'm assuming that's not an issue/anything important with this device?

I'm seeing root methods using both ODIN and Heimdall, and I'm at a loss (again, I'm coming from an HTC device) as to which is the best?

What I'm looking to do is have a fully open device (flash any ROM, kernel, radio, etc. I'd like); I understand Samsung has a flash counter (KNOX, I believe), and I'm fine with that (as long as it doesn't lock me out at some point ... does it?); and I'm not sure which method would give me that.

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
I'm coming from an HTC device which required both rooting and flashing an unlocked bootloader, so I'm a bit confused as to the ease as to which it seems this device can be rooted.

I'm seeing nothing in regards to unlocking the bootloader, so I'm assuming that's not an issue/anything important with this device?

I'm seeing root methods using both ODIN and Heimdall, and I'm at a loss (again, I'm coming from an HTC device) as to which is the best?

What I'm looking to do is have a fully open device (flash any ROM, kernel, radio, etc. I'd like); I understand Samsung has a flash counter (KNOX, I believe), and I'm fine with that (as long as it doesn't lock me out at some point ... does it?); and I'm not sure which method would give me that.

You can root/unroot this device with ease. I believe the only gs4 with locked a bootloader are the Verizon and sprint variants. I could be wrong. But I think those are the 2 carriers that lock you out of your phone. Anyway there's very little chance of you getting locked out of your phone unless you flash the wrong files. Odin is definitely the best way to go for Samsung devices. I've been using it since the vibrant came out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: OriginalGabriel

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
You can root/unroot this device with ease. I believe the only gs4 with locked a bootloader are the Verizon and sprint variants. I could be wrong. But I think those are the 2 carriers that lock you out of your phone. Anyway there's very little chance of you getting locked out of your phone unless you flash the wrong files. Odin is definitely the best way to go for Samsung devices. I've been using it since the vibrant came out.

Metro PCS has a locked bootloader too. But I think it ANY device with 4.3+

Sent from my Insane s4

Dont forget to titty slap that thank you button ;)

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

When you root your phone and start flashing ROMs, KNOX will be tripped to 0x1 but that will just void the warranty. And I just found out a week ago that Samsung says they will still honor their warranty even if KNOX is tripped.

ODIN would be your best bet. I haven't even heard of Heimdall.

Sent from my Insane s4

Reactions: mrzhadow

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010

Awesome, thanks ... I see you're on T-Mo as well; I was just going to stick with CyanogenMod but, any ROMs you recommend for the T-Mo variant? I prefer a pretty clean interface (eg. no TouchWiz), with little "bling".

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
Awesome, thanks ... I see you're on T-Mo as well; I was just going to stick with CyanogenMod but, any ROMs you recommend for the T-Mo variant? I prefer a pretty clean interface (eg. no TouchWiz), with little "bling".

I'm a TW man so I couldn't tell you which ROM is better. I'm on insane KitKat. Great ROM!

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
I think you're thinking of Knox bootloader.. Not the same thing

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Not to bash what you are saying, but Verizon, sprint and anything with KNOX keep you from unlocking your bootloader and a locked bootloader is a locked bootloader. Am I locked bootloader right? Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not to bash what you are saying, but Verizon, sprint and anything with KNOX keep you from unlocking your bootloader and a locked bootloader is a locked bootloader. Am I locked bootloader right? Lol

Having KNOX doesn't mean the bootloader is locked. The M919 on 4.3 and above has KNOX implemented but the bootloader is still unlocked regardless of what baseband version you're on. Literally the only functional difference is that pre-MK2 firmware you can't trip the KNOX counter as it hadn't yet been implemented..

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Having KNOX doesn't mean the bootloader is locked. The M919 on 4.3 and above has KNOX implemented but the bootloader is still unlocked regardless of what baseband version you're on. Literally the only functional difference is that pre-MK2 firmware you can't trip the KNOX counter as it hadn't yet been implemented..

Oh ok. I got my m919n with 4.3 MK5 and my bootloader is locked. Feom what you are saying, I can unlock it? KNOX is already tripped so what the hell, I'll unlock it.

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010
I'm a TW man so I couldn't tell you which ROM is better. I'm on insane KitKat. Great ROM!

I've seen a lot of people mention that ROM, I'll definitely take a look once I get my device up and running (damn T-Mo store gave me a SIM card that had already been activated so I have a fancy paperweight until they can release the number so that I can activate it).

Out of curiosity, this the root method you'd recommend (I have a M919UVUEMK2 baseband)? Also, is there a way to flash CWM via ODIN? I'd rather not have to set my device up in order to install ROM Manager just to flash a recovery (I'm basically wanting to root, flash CWM, make a full backup, and then wipe and install a ROM).

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I've seen a lot of people mention that ROM, I'll definitely take a look once I get my device up and running (damn T-Mo store gave me a SIM card that had already been activated so I have a fancy paperweight until they can release the number so that I can activate it).

Out of curiosity, this the root method you'd recommend (I have a M919UVUEMK2 baseband)? Also, is there a way to flash CWM via ODIN? I'd rather not have to set my device up in order to install ROM Manager just to flash a recovery (I'm basically wanting to root, flash CWM, make a full backup, and then wipe and install a ROM).

Just flash recovery with Odin, and proceed to flash your ROM.. Root is not required

No my friend.. Knox does not mean locked bootloader.. At&t & verizon do have locked boot loaders don't know about sprint, but they locked their bootloaders since before knox, nothing new

Oh ok. I got my m919n with 4.3 MK5 and my bootloader is locked. Feom what you are saying, I can unlock it? KNOX is already tripped so what the hell, I'll unlock it.

And how are you certain that the bootloader is locked? How was the flag tripped?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA

Yes that will work. I recommend TWRP recovery. It works very well on our device. Here is the CWM Odin flasable .tar the download link is in post #24. If you like to give twrp a try just let me know. Also if you wanna try Insane KitKat let me know. I'm very familiar with it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2405433&page=3

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010
Yes that will work. I recommend TWRP recovery. It works very well on our device. Here is the CWM Odin flasable .tar the download link is in post #24. If you like to give twrp a try just let me know. Also if you wanna try Insane KitKat let me know. I'm very familiar with it.

Awesome, thanks ... I vaguely remember TWRP from when it first came out but, it never made it to my old device; I'm probably going to go with CWM for the time being as I'm more familiar with it and I'm already a bit over my head trying to figure out the Samsung way of doing things. Really though, I'm hoping MadMaxx hurries up and releases his updated 4ext which is supposed to support this device.

OriginalGabriel

Nov 13, 2010

Hey, sorry to bug you again but, since we're using the same device, on the same network, think you could answer this question for me (there doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic on that thread these days, and I'd rather not start my own thread with the same question).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Metro PCS has a locked bootloader too. But I think it ANY device with 4.3+

Sent from my Insane s4

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

When you root your phone and start flashing ROMs, KNOX will be tripped to 0x1 but that will just void the warranty. And I just found out a week ago that Samsung says they will still honor their warranty even if KNOX is tripped.

ODIN would be your best bet. I haven't even heard of Heimdall.

Sent from my Insane s4

Most use chain fire's autoroot.