Galaxy tab 7.7 as a cbr reader

Search This thread

fetjesus

Sep 28, 2009
Hello,

Is there anyone that got a tab 7.7 and can do a review on how good the tab work as a cbr/comic book reader? Preferably a video one... Considering buying one as a comic book reader but want to know how it handles it, for example how small will the text be in full screen without zoom.

With kind regards
Micke

zazonk

Sep 30, 2009
HI, I also would like to know this, I'd like to use it a reader, but i'm concerned with an eventual burn in given a lot time displaying black lines of text on white background. Will that result in a burn in over time or is burn in actualy not a problem with ne new generation super amoled?

Jun 28, 2008
I've used Komik/Perfect Viewer/ACV/ComicRack/jcomic on a number of owned devices including SGN/Asus Transformer.

I've also go an ipad that I used to use cloudreader on.

When in bed, if holding the screen really close to my face, whilst lying on side - the SGN and 7.7 are about equivalent for me. In general use though, the 7.7 is the best size for comics. May need to dim brightness in dark environment (eg. long flight) because it can feel a bit like retina burn. The true black makes the comic "float" in the middle of the screen.

Response is very smooth on Perfect Viewer on both cbr and cbz. This is my preferred viewer with preconfigured brightness down/up on the bottom left/right. I set 200ms transitions and 10% swipe tolerance and the thing flies.

I am 6 foot with normal size hands for my height. It's doable, but not super comfortable to hold and swipe with the one hand. I don't use a case/cover. The fact that it's feather-light is a big plus.

Feels almost like the ideal device atm. On flight mode, battery only dropped about 10 percent from 75% on a 20 hr flight. This was on low brightness. Almost constant use.

The Asus Memo might be a better size when it comes out. Will wait and see.

fetjesus

Sep 28, 2009
Thank you for a great reply! I will most likely buy one. Any chance you can make a video review about this subject?

With kind regards
Mike

reiconol

Jan 26, 2012
I find the 7.7 to be excellent as a comic reader, and a book reader in general. It can be held in one hand easily without fatigue. I prefer using Perfect Viewer and the rendering of comic pages is really fast even on the highest quality setting. Text and images are super sharp and the colours are amazing as would be expected on this type of screen. I have no problems with text size and its not much different to reading a paper version.

I also have an Asus Transformer and it just can't compare. The TF is big, heavy, and slower than the 7.7. Rendering pages is so slow on the TF I have to use a low quality render setting or there will be too much lag when flipping pages. Holding it with two hands is tiring after a short while.

The 7.7 is about as good a reader there is right now, ignoring all the dedicated eBook readers out there. But of course the 7.7 is so much more.

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I use the GT7dot7 for a large amount of manga reading and some comic reading. I used the nook color before this and a 4 inch phone before that. I used to use perfect viewer as most people who try it end up using it since it is the most powerful comic reader and functions very snappy on most any device. I have since switched to komik reader for the gtab and i personally use it now as my only reader. I am a sucker for smooth page turns and komik allows for very smooth sliding of each page to the next. Where as perfect viewer allows for very quick and responsive page turns but there is no smooth scroll option.
Reader aside i have absolutely no problem reading on this device, it is a great size and it has a very crisp screen. I read though all of engadget distro with no zooming needed. Also, Google currents works great for reading stuff around the web, again the screen for me is the perfect size for it.

fetjesus

Sep 28, 2009
Any chance anyone of you can do a video review on how it is to use as a cbr reader?

With kind regards
Mikael

benone.marcos

Jan 1, 2011
Luanda
www.benone.org
I have the original tab 7 (gt-p1000) and use comicrack to read comics on it all the time. IMO, it's the perfect device for that task; either standing, in bed, or sitting (airplane, f.e.).
I'm actually planning to upgrade to the 7.7 pretty soon, and expect to have the same or better results on that regard.