Completely Disappointed With TF700t

Search This thread

97prelude

Jan 16, 2013
Suffice to say that after being in the iOS environment for the past few years, my venture into Android with the TF700 has been lackluster at best. I've had the tablet for 24 hours and have been utterly disappointed with its performance. For being the premier android tablet on the market, it's no wonder people migrating from iOS are having such terrible experiences.

Firstly, I'd say that about 20% of the apps i've downloaded have crashed or stalled on me. These are all main stream apps, nothing from small developers, its from the googles, amazon, pandora, etc...

This tablet couldn't stream music, run the ftp client, and browse the web at the same time.... the tablet was sugglish and the music would stop playing at times.

App loading time is crazy slow.... i feel like i'm working on a 486 here..... browsing speed and rendering is terrible also.... I can't believe you guys are able to actually be productive on this thing. It's most likely going in a drawer full of other ****ty devices i've bought over the years.

While not a fan of the closed of iOS ecosystem, I have to tell you that the OS is stable and polished. The apps all look beautiful and well made, the ipad doesn't freeze, and it's overall a more intuitive system. I prefer the open source aspect of android, but wow, this tablet was a complete let down. My business partner's ipad 1 is still a better and smoother experience than this piece of junk.

faustus1005

Sep 2, 2012
My wife has both an iPad and an iPhone, they most certainly do crash. I have used both and the TF700T is not nearly as bad as you describe. It out performs the hell out of the iPad with proper maintenance. I am not sure why you have had such a bad experience, but the device is far from a piece of junk. As for app crashes, again your experience differs greatly. I rarely have crashes at all, let alone from the app devs you mentioned. I will admit that the iOS is nice and simple, but I find its more geared towards the non-technologically inclined. Perhaps the Android OS just isn't for you?

Reactions: PolishPoet

97prelude

Jan 16, 2013
My wife has both an iPad and an iPhone, they most certainly do crash. I have used both and the TF700T is not nearly as bad as you describe. It out performs the hell out of the iPad with proper maintenance. I am not sure why you have had such a bad experience, but the device is far from a piece of junk. As for app crashes, again your experience differs greatly. I rarely have crashes at all, let alone from the app devs you mentioned. I will admit that the iOS is nice and simple, but I find its more geared towards the non-technologically inclined. Perhaps the Android OS just isn't for you?

Hey there... I am a programmer and web designer, grew up building custom computers and web sites and programming a lot, so I am familiar with the open source platforms and the more tech-related aspects of technology. That being said, Android itself has to far to go it's almost not even work dealing with. I don't know why I am having these issues, maybe its growing pains :) but that being said, I was expecting a completely different experience. So many things are absent from Android and so many things simply don't work. Overall I'm disappointed with the browsing experience most.... half of the time the pages don't finish rendering by the time I get to the bottom, and I'm on a 20Mb connection and am only running the browser on the tablet..... I'm so torn here :p

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
If one does a search of the general section here in the TF700T forum using the word "disappointed" about 20 or so threads will show up.
A lot to wade thru for sure...it's all pretty much been covered however.
Apologies for your disappointments with Infinity.

faustus1005

Sep 2, 2012
Hey there... I am a programmer and web designer, grew up building custom computers and web sites and programming a lot, so I am familiar with the open source platforms and the more tech-related aspects of technology. That being said, Android itself has to far to go it's almost not even work dealing with. I don't know why I am having these issues, maybe its growing pains :) but that being said, I was expecting a completely different experience. So many things are absent from Android and so many things simply don't work. Overall I'm disappointed with the browsing experience most.... half of the time the pages don't finish rendering by the time I get to the bottom, and I'm on a 20Mb connection and am only running the browser on the tablet..... I'm so torn here :p

Well, you are right about the browser, if iirc out of the box, the browser sucks. If you want to give it another chance you might look into browser2ram. You can search it here on the forum and I think its on the play store, really takes care of the browser sluggishness. Just a note most of the issues with this tablet in particular aren't Android OS related, per se, a lot of the issues come from things Asus has done/ not fixed yet. I have several other Android devices that required no tweaking at all to run well right out of the box. If your interested in getting really into increasing performance/bug fixes, the CleanRom custom rom is supposed to be the best, but be warned, unlocking your bootloader to do custom roms/recoveries voids your warranty. Given that your device is new this may not be for you. :) The best thing I can suggest is deciding if all the work you may need to put into the tablet to get it the way you like it worth the time to you, if not, the iPad may indeed be more useful to you. The closed enviroment of the iPad has its advantages. :)

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Suffice to say that after being in the iOS environment for the past few years, my venture into Android with the TF700 has been lackluster at best. I've had the tablet for 24 hours and have been utterly disappointed with its performance.
Do you judge everything and everyone within 24 hours of getting to know it/him/her? ;) The Hynix storage controller was a bad, bad decision by ASUS, w' all agree, but a good custom ROM fixes a lot of the problems. You should not have to void your warranty to get a well-performing device, though, so I'd say I agree.
For being the premier android tablet on the market, it's no wonder people migrating from iOS are having such terrible experiences.
On what data do you base that statement? I do not believe there are that many disgruntled ex-iAdopters -- most are perfectly happy, I guess.
Firstly, I'd say that about 20% of the apps i've downloaded have crashed or stalled on me. These are all main stream apps, nothing from small developers, its from the googles, amazon, pandora, etc...
No larger-developer apps have crashed on me regularly, and even the apps from smaller devs play quite nicely most of the time (even if not in a tablet-specific layout. :( ).
This tablet couldn't stream music, run the ftp client, and browse the web at the same time.... the tablet was sugglish and the music would stop playing at times.
I've been running FTP clients from day 1, so still on the stock ROM, and I have never had any issues at all. Music steeaming over Bluetooth is a known issue, but that is not confined to the 700.
App loading time is crazy slow.... i feel like i'm working on a 486 here...
Try runnign a 486 and then asking it to do whatever yo uexpect from the Infinity: pushing a FullHD screen and running a 3D game, for example. Then come back in here and share your observations as to whether the 700 is really that slow. ;)
browsing speed and rendering is terrible also.... I can't believe you guys are able to actually be productive on this thing.
I cannot believe how much more I am doing know as compared to, say, a year ago. I'm not only readin during the commute, but brwosing, Whatsapping, emailing, the **** -- I signed up here in 2008, I believe and had 30 posts when the Infinity came in; I've never been pestering XDA this much before. :)
It's most likely going in a drawer full of other ****ty devices i've bought over the years.
Impulse buys? Early adopting poses a risk, as you should know well.
While not a fan of the closed of iOS ecosystem, I have to tell you that the OS is stable and polished.
...and severly limited, essentially closed down. That also explains why it is far easier to support, or develop for, since you know in detail what hardware and OS to work with (or against).
The apps all look beautiful and well made,
all of 'em?
the ipad doesn't freeze,
I'm sure it does, actually. This blanket statement makes me doubt your veracity or uprighteousness.
and it's overall a more intuitive system.
Although it's a matter og çolor'and terminology, I usually prefer the term "dumbed down". It's pick-up-and-use, compared to the freely tweakable and slightly more complex ANdroid ecosystem.
I prefer the open source aspect of android, but wow, this tablet was a complete let down. My business partner's ipad 1 is still a better and smoother experience than this piece of junk.
The TF700 should outperform the iPad 1 and 2 out of the box, and should do the same to the iPad 3 when tweaked.

Hey there... I am a programmer and web designer, grew up building custom computers and web sites and programming a lot, so I am familiar with the open source platforms and the more tech-related aspects of technology. That being said, Android itself has to far to go it's almost not even work dealing with.
Again, a blanket statement which is not that valid at all. This is just your point of view -- I can work with all my Android pretty effectively and efficiently (save the LG O2x which happens to be a VERY, VERY bad device).
I don't know why I am having these issues, maybe its growing pains but that being said, I was expecting a completely different experience.
Based on the numbers, it does sound like a golden device, and again, I agree that out of the box, the storage system should have performed much better.
So many things are absent from Android
Examples?
and so many things simply don't work.
Examples?
Overall I'm disappointed with the browsing experience most.... half of the time the pages don't finish rendering by the time I get to the bottom, and I'm on a 20Mb connection and am only running the browser on the tablet..... I'm so torn here :p
No issues on sotck browser, but then I use Brwoser2RAM as well -- makes the browsing significantly faster and pleasurable.

This woudl have been a nicer way to voice my opinion. ;)

Well, you are right about the browser, if iirc out of the box, the browser sucks. If you want to give it another chance you might look into browser2ram.
This really helps -- or just install CROMI and be done.
You can search it here on the forum and I think its on the play store, really takes care of the browser sluggishness. Just a note most of the issues with this tablet in particular aren't Android OS related, per se, a lot of the issues come from things Asus has done/ not fixed yet.
Seconded.
I have several other Android devices that required no tweaking at all to run well right out of the box.
Samesung, for example, has a knack for making very good devices that just perform out of the box.
If your interested in getting really into increasing performance/bug fixes, the CleanRom custom rom is supposed to be the best, but be warned, unlocking your bootloader to do custom roms/recoveries voids your warranty. Given that your device is new this may not be for you.
Especially when there's the even slightest hint of returning or selling.
The best thing I can suggest is deciding if all the work you may need to put into the tablet to get it the way you like it worth the time to you, if not, the iPad may indeed be more useful to you. The closed enviroment of the iPad has its advantages.
Amen.

The one thing I am fed up with is the hinge build quality -- I've started a thread a few days ago; I won't threadjack.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
While not a fan of the closed of iOS ecosystem, I have to tell you that the OS is stable and polished. The apps all look beautiful and well made, the ipad doesn't freeze, and it's overall a more intuitive system. I prefer the open source aspect of android, but wow, this tablet was a complete let down. My business partner's ipad 1 is still a better and smoother experience than this piece of junk.

The TF700, actually all Asus tablets, suffer from some unique performance and multitasking issues caused by the design (h/w) choices Asus made. Do a search on “Asus IO issues” either on XDA or Google. The "best" Android tablet in terms of performance, functions, and features available right now is the Note 10.1. Sadly, to your point about compromise, it only has a 147 PPI 720P display which makes it a non-starter for quite a few people. The Nexus 10 is a great Android tablet on paper but suffers from QC issues and a lot of folks find the phone UI Google's using on it both odd and a bit barren feature's wise. At $499 for the 32GB version with no SD slot for expansion it’s no bargain either. Samsung's releasing their own version of the N10 (P5200) which might be a true iPad competitor in performance, functions, features, and hopefully quality. It’ll have an SD card slot and most likely multiview which is a killer feature on a 10” tablet and something that will set it apart from the iPad. It’s supposed to be announced on the 19th and available in March. Maybe that's worth a look before abandoning Android all together.

the_game_master

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis

I know why you're having these issues. (I feel like that baby in those V8 commercials, *bop* you on the head)

you're doing development work with a ASUS Transformer Infinity IS your problem.

The Transformer Infinity TF700T, TF300, and TF201 / Prime tablet all have underline software (but more likely) hardware problems that are the reason they at times perform very slow. ASUS to-date still haven't resolved this with any update release, which is why I'm teetering to think this is hardware.

OP you should have gone with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, or Galaxy Note 10.1 for your testing. SAMSUNG is quality, ASUS is just hype and they got a lot press from being the first to show off a keyboard docking tablet that can convert easily to a netbook. Fast forward nearly 2 years later and everyone copied the idea and doing it far better than ASUS.

h0m3b0y

Mar 28, 2011
SAMSUNG is quality, ASUS is just hype and they got a lot press from being the first to show off a keyboard docking tablet that can convert easily to a netbook. Fast forward nearly 2 years later and everyone copied the idea and doing it far better than ASUS.

What are these "far better than ASUS" "keyboard docking tablet that can convert easily to a netbook" you speak of? I only know of asus transformer line that can do this on android... I've been searching for higher resolution / better build quality alternative to asus transformer for a long time now and I haven't found any. (we are talking about tablets that jave keyboard docks which house extra battery, extra connections, extra storage, etc.)

I would probably stand in line for a Samsung built 10" (or bigger) tablets with nexus 10-like screen resolution that comes with detachable keyboard dock (transformer style; form tablet to notebook quick and easy) housing extra battery, storage and connections. If it came with vanilla android sans all bloatware I'd probably camp in front of the store to get one.

Something like this was rumored as part of the Samsungs Project J (now called Altius) but according to the latest leaks these rumors might not have been true :crying:

I really really really want a well built high end tablet transformer running android (I'd settle for other non-Apple && non-M$ OSes if need be), but I just can't buy one.

Cheapxj

Mar 31, 2008
Commit or don't. Unlock your bootloader. Install CROMI, hell, do a dual boot with ubuntu Linux. My tf700 does almost everything my laptop can do as long as I can make the software run on an ARM cpu..

You brag about how 1337 you are, so put your mind to work and make the device work for you. I HATED the TF700 until I dumped all the stock software. the stock rom is worthless. Mine is fast and the battery lasts all damn day. I can't complain. and if Android won't do it, Linux will. The screen resolution is right, the compliment of hardware is decent and the dock with external battery is the single BEST feature it's got.

but the stock software does suck, but it's all written in C, not HTML/PHP. Be 1337 or return it and get your money back. I love mine. I personally will NEVER bite into the Apple. iOS sucks and it always will. I like being able to download the source code that runs my device and modify it the way I see fit. that's why the only mac/windows machines I use are virtual and running on my Linux box.

Buy the hardware you want and make the software you want or stfu.

and where does it say this is the "Premier Android Tablet"? It's not the Transformer Nexus... then it would be a Premier device.

sounds like yours has an ID 10 T error. :p

-BoneZ-

Oct 24, 2009
Indiana
Completely Disappointed With TF700t

The TF700 is very disappointing in its stock state. You shouldn't have to do it to make your tablet run fast and smooth, but you should unlock the bootloader and put CleanROM on it. Further, you can go into "Developer Options" under "Settings" and disable all animations. I couldn't stand looking at the slide-show animations, so now everything pops up and opens/closes instantly and smoothly. While you're in the "Developer Options", you can also turn on "Force GPU Rendering" which helps as well.

As with some devices like the G-Tab, some phones, and the TF700, you have to unlock them and put different ROM's on them to make them run like they should've from the factory to begin with.

Once you unlock, install a ROM, and do a few tweaks (and use a different browser like Boat Browser), I think you'll be pleased at the performance of your TF700.

Reactions: Thats OK

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Uh boy...

I shouldn't be posting an opinion since the last go around thread complaining about the Infinity.

Most people that show up here on XDA are looking for an answer, guide to tweaking or perhaps even trying to help.
I get so tired of these threads touting disappointment with a device.
We all know there are bugs, deficiencies, better options, damage out of the box, on and on...

If it breaks or causes frowning return or get the frigging thing fixed.
Why the drive to whine about it here?

I wish the moderation team could gather all the booboo threads and put them in their own section so they were easier to avoid.
Then the roving gangs of haters could hang together outside of the HELP forums.
XDA ain't what it use to be...

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Totally agree @thats ok

This started life as a development site, hint is in the name. I wish I could avoid these posts as well.

I come here to read about, discover and maybe release some cool mods/developments. There are other websites you can post your dissatisfaction to Asus on. They certainly won't do anything with it here.

And the answer to the issues. Unlock and flash a custom rom. ;) How ironic.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Totally agree @thats ok

This started life as a development site, hint is in the name. I wish I could avoid these posts as well.

I come here to read about, discover and maybe release some cool mods/developments. There are other websites you can post your dissatisfaction to Asus on. They certainly won't do anything with it here.

You are right, and I have nothing to add as far as substance goes.

Uh boy...

I shouldn't be posting an opinion since the last go around thread complaining about the Infinity.
I vaguely remember taking part in a few of these threads and normally they do end up pretty badly -- especially as far as these iOS v. Android type threads are concerned.
Most people that show up here on XDA are looking for an answer, guide to tweaking or perhaps even trying to help.
We all know there are bugs, deficiencies, better options, damage out of the box, on and on...
My first Android experience ws with an LG O2x --the worst smartphone ever the carry that designation -- and I was mainly on MoDaCo then. My next device was a Samsung SGS2 (you live, you learn), and I went over to XDA. Looking back, it strikes me how friendly and open I perceived that forum to be, and that could have to do with the overall excllence of the device itself. Nonetheless, even the SGS2 has (had) its fair share of bugs and quirkyness, but it seemed so much easier to handle for some. I still don't understand why, since every appliance known to mankind has its faults, whether that is a flintstone hammer or the Space Shuttle. Going by that example: the more technologically advanced the appliance, the more opportunity for (fatal) error.

I wish the moderation team could gather all the booboo threads and put them in their own section so they were easier to avoid.
You're growing old, -that ;) -- but then I guess so am I. I'm far from retirement age (partly unfortunately ;) ) --I'm 34-- but even online I sense that life experience makes me react differently than, say, ten years ago. It's not all good, but I guess it is a normal development. I guess pretty much anything has changed over time, but we'll have to cope with it. :)

rail205

Sep 11, 2011
Montreal
Have to agree stock was not all that impressive. With clean rom it is a great machine. I have to say ipad is smooth but just seems made for the simple type person. I personally love the way I get to tinker with Android systems, I think most of us are on XDA for that reason.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
You're growing old, -that ;) -- but then I guess so am I. I'm far from retirement age (partly unfortunately ;) ) --I'm 34-- but even online I sense that life experience makes me react differently than, say, ten years ago. It's not all good, but I guess it is a normal development. I guess pretty much anything has changed over time, but we'll have to cope with it. :)

:D

You're right Marty :p
I do get grumpy a lot...

Remember the "buttery smooth" claims from ICS to JB...man when the switch happened that's when I really started frowning.
One day I said "ok that's it" and forced myself to improve things with a custom set-up.
Thank goodness I have never had the mechanical bugs that were so often reported by others.
Whew!

Reactions: rail205

the_game_master

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis
What are these "far better than ASUS" "keyboard docking tablet that can convert easily to a netbook" you speak of? I only know of asus transformer line that can do this on android... I've been searching for higher resolution / better build quality alternative to asus transformer for a long time now and I haven't found any. (we are talking about tablets that jave keyboard docks which house extra battery, extra connections, extra storage, etc.)

I would probably stand in line for a Samsung built 10" (or bigger) tablets with nexus 10-like screen resolution that comes with detachable keyboard dock (transformer style; form tablet to notebook quick and easy) housing extra battery, storage and connections. If it came with vanilla android sans all bloatware I'd probably camp in front of the store to get one.

Something like this was rumored as part of the Samsungs Project J (now called Altius) but according to the latest leaks these rumors might not have been true :crying:

I really really really want a well built high end tablet transformer running android (I'd settle for other non-Apple && non-M$ OSes if need be), but I just can't buy one.

I'm going to give you the same response someone told me here. Your expectations are way too high.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Suffice to say that after being in the iOS environment for the past few years, my venture into Android with the TF700 has been lackluster at best. I've had the tablet for 24 hours and have been utterly disappointed with its performance. For being the premier android tablet on the market, it's no wonder people migrating from iOS are having such terrible experiences.

App loading time is crazy slow.... i feel like i'm working on a 486 here..... browsing speed and rendering is terrible also.... I can't believe you guys are able to actually be productive on this thing. It's most likely going in a drawer full of other ****ty devices i've bought over the years.

Having owned a couple of ipads (1 and 2), I can tell you that iOS does crash just like all other operating systems. I've been working with many different OSes over the years, and apps crashing is an unavoidable part of life.

The reason people think iOS doesn't crash is because Apple made the decision to not inform people when something has crashed. It's pretty clever, actually. In windows, android, Linux, and everything else, whenever something crashes there is an error message telling you an error has occurred and so-and-so. But in iOS, when something crashes, you just end up back in the home screen. Most people at this point would think that they accidentally pressed the wrong button or the home button. And also, the lack of an error message means there's no interruption of experience causing the user to not remember.

I have to agree with some others here. You bragged about being a 1337 and then you went ahead and showed us you don't really know much about the systems.

I recently sold my infinity and bought an asus vivotab rt. After having used the vivotab rt for about a week, holy cow this thing is great. Both android and iOS are slow and sluggish compared to windows rt. If you want something that flies, get a windows rt tablet.

I'm amazed how there is no lag time between swipes. It's amazing to watch the screen following your finger without delay.

Reactions: PolishPoet
Another one of these? Is it really that hard to post it in an existing thread? Or do you fear you won't get as much attention if you do? :rolleyes: Look at meeeeeeeeee, what I have to say is more important than the other person saying the exact same thing! :rolleyes:

Let me explain a vital difference to you. XDA is a Developers forum. Not a 'moan about how a product doesn't meet your insanely high expectations' forum. And it certainly is not a 'compare it to an iCrap' forum!

Complaining can be done here: http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/complain

I'm 22 and already I feel the internet consists entirely of elementary school children crying to their mothers about how their classmates have a lollipop and they don't... with a staggering lack of proper grammar, at that. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm just old for my age, but I imagine it's even worse for you guys.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Uh boy...

Commit or don't. Unlock your bootloader. Install CROMI, hell, do a dual boot with ubuntu Linux. My tf700 does almost everything my laptop can do as long as I can make the software run on an ARM cpu..

You brag about how 1337 you are, so put your mind to work and make the device work for you. I HATED the TF700 until I dumped all the stock software. the stock rom is worthless. Mine is fast and the battery lasts all damn day. I can't complain. and if Android won't do it, Linux will. The screen resolution is right, the compliment of hardware is decent and the dock with external battery is the single BEST feature it's got.

but the stock software does suck, but it's all written in C, not HTML/PHP. Be 1337 or return it and get your money back. I love mine. I personally will NEVER bite into the Apple. iOS sucks and it always will. I like being able to download the source code that runs my device and modify it the way I see fit. that's why the only mac/windows machines I use are virtual and running on my Linux box.

Buy the hardware you want and make the software you want or stfu.

and where does it say this is the "Premier Android Tablet"? It's not the Transformer Nexus... then it would be a Premier device.

sounds like yours has an ID 10 T error. :p
    Totally agree @thats ok

Another one of these? Is it really that hard to post it in an existing thread? Or do you fear you won't get as much attention if you do? :rolleyes: Look at meeeeeeeeee, what I have to say is more important than the other person saying the exact same thing! :rolleyes:

Let me explain a vital difference to you. XDA is a Developers forum. Not a 'moan about how a product doesn't meet your insanely high expectations' forum. And it certainly is not a 'compare it to an iCrap' forum!

Complaining can be done here: http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/complain

I'm 22 and already I feel the internet consists entirely of elementary school children crying to their mothers about how their classmates have a lollipop and they don't... with a staggering lack of proper grammar, at that. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm just old for my age, but I imagine it's even worse for you guys.