[RECOVERY][v500] TWRP 2.8.6.0 touch recovery [2015-03-27]

Search This thread

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
Follow the manual installation instructions on the CWM thread here in this forum for the v500, but substitute the recovery.img with the one in this thread.

Schrotty35

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
Follow the manual installation instructions on the CWM thread here in this forum for the v500, but substitute the recovery.img with the one in this thread.

Not work.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

F:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Handy-Taplet\LG Pad 8.3\Recovery-Kernel\ADB + Fastb
oot>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
LGV5005a46f290 device

F:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Handy-Taplet\LG Pad 8.3\Recovery-Kernel\ADB + Fastb
oot>adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash
cannot stat 'loki_flash': No such file or directory

oot>adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp
3933 KB/s (11819008 bytes in 2.934s)

oot>adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp
3080 KB/s (379276 bytes in 0.120s)

oot>adb shell
shell@awifi:/ $ su
su
root@awifi:/ # chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
root@awifi:/ # dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local
/tmp/aboot.img
cc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img <
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.089 secs (5890876 bytes/sec)
root@awifi:/ # /data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.im
g /data/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
a/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok <
Loki tool v2.1
[-] Unsupported aboot image.
1|root@awifi:/ # /data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recove
ry.lok
recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok <
Loki tool v2.1
Bus error
135|root@awifi:/ #

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I have make all the steps from new but whene i reboot to recovery i see only the stock recovery.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

oot>adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
3782 KB/s (11819008 bytes in 3.051s)

oot>adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp
3312 KB/s (379276 bytes in 0.111s)

oot>adb shell
shell@awifi:/ $ su
su
root@awifi:/ # chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
root@awifi:/ # dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local
/tmp/aboot.img

/data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/t
mp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lokdd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1
cc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img <

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.028 secs (18724571 bytes/sec)
root@awifi:/ #
root@awifi:/ # /data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery
.lok
flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok <
Loki tool v2.1
Usage
> Patch partition file image:
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool [patch] [boot|recovery] [aboot.img] [in.img] [out.lok]

> Flash loki image to boot|recovery:
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool [flash] [boot|recovery] [in.lok]

> Find offset from aboot image:
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool [find] [aboot.img]

> Revert Loki patching:
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool [unlok] [in.lok] [out.img]

1|root@awifi:/ # exit
exit
1|shell@awifi:/ $ exit
exit

oot>adb reboot recovery

oot>

ilarrain

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for the update.
Do you know why it's unable to decrypt data in the new lollypop format?

cf6169daef9258d1f65f73908a72e811.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture.

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
its working. but i am having same issue i had on Z2 when using 2.8.1.0 .. restoring a v500 CM12 nandroid backup made with 2.8.3.0, results in multiples FC's after boot, and makes the device unusable...

regards.
Is TWRP 2.8.0.0 the last version without problem with restoring backups? Everything after 2.8.0.0 seems to have reported issues.

deepongi

Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2008
Portugal
OnePlus 9
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
its working. but i am having same issue i had on Z2 when using 2.8.1.0 .. restoring a v500 CM12 nandroid backup made with 2.8.3.0, results in multiples FC's after boot, and makes the device unusable...

regards.

i remove what i said. did a nandroid backup with "raw" TWRP, instead of using "Online Nandroid Backup" apk, and it was restored with success.

so, for me its working ok. thanks @Rick Roll

regards.

ilarrain

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for the update.
Do you know why it's unable to decrypt data in the new lollypop format?

cf6169daef9258d1f65f73908a72e811.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture.
Seems to be impossible to decrypt data, when encrypted in lollypop, using a pattern. Can someone confirm?
"E: Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto footer."

jayce996

Jul 25, 2008
Hi There,
I wanted to go to lollipop, and for an unknown reason, i get stuck and had to restore the factory OS with LG software.
now i tried to install TWRP, which seems to work but unable to go to the recovery boot, i'm stuck at the "Secure booting Error!
Cause: boot certification verify"
i didn't find any solution for this.
anybody can help me?

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
It means your new recovery doesn't match your version of aboot. You need to patch the recovery image against your aboot image with Loki_tool and apply it again. Check the cwm for v500 thread for manual instructions.

bonzai80

Apr 6, 2009
Munich
I also tried several times, to update from 2.8.0.0 to more recent versions. But always failed. Then I found something by chance, downloading the Red Kernel to use it with CM12. Developer RickRoll offers on his site all recent versions of his kernel as well as the v500 recovery, also 2.8.3.0. I downloaded the 2.8.3.0.img and flashed it with Flashify. For me it's working now, tried to flash something and it worked as it should.

Maybe those who had problems updating their recover may try it this way...
Here is the link (hope sharing is allowed, if not Mod, pls remove)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=19557

uzi2

Jun 6, 2008
I also tried several times, to update from 2.8.0.0 to more recent versions. But always failed. Then I found something by chance, downloading the Red Kernel to use it with CM12. Developer RickRoll offers on his site all recent versions of his kernel as well as the v500 recovery, also 2.8.3.0. I downloaded the 2.8.3.0.img and flashed it with Flashify. For me it's working now, tried to flash something and it worked as it should.

Maybe those who had problems updating their recover may try it this way...
Here is the link (hope sharing is allowed, if not Mod, pls remove)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=19557

Your link is to RickRoll's download page, so you are providing the exact same links that are referred directly in the OP.

usenametaken

Dec 16, 2014
How do I install the recovery?

PSA: Flashing boot/recovery images from TWRP GUI only work with bumped images. If you flash a non-bumped image you will be softbricked because our locked bootloader can't boot unsigned images.
I'm kind of confused. Can TWRP flash itself or not? What's the use of the zip format recovery (v500-TWRP_2.8.x.x-recovery.zip)? Shouldn't a Loki-vulnerable bootloader be enough to flash a bootable recovery? Do I need to both bump and lokify the recovery image?

INSTALLATION:

NEEDS ROOT AND A LOKI VULNERABLE ABOOT (Stock 4.2.X roms)

Reactions: whoamigriffiths

uzi2

Jun 6, 2008
I'm kind of confused. Can TWRP flash itself or not? What's the use of the zip format recovery (v500-TWRP_2.8.x.x-recovery.zip)? Shouldn't a Loki-vulnerable bootloader be enough to flash a bootable recovery? Do I need to both bump and lokify the recovery image?

Once you have TWRP installed, the easiest way to update is to flash the .zip from recovery.
Yes it can fash itself.

Reactions: whoamigriffiths

Rick Roll

Apr 2, 2012
Rio de Janeiro

Zip files with loki are ok. I'm talking about flashing .img files with twrp (new feature).

luisbraz

Nov 21, 2013
Faro
Just to clarify, because I don't want to end with a bricked tablet... it's new (2 hours!!!).
The tablet is rooted (TowelRoot) and have SuperSU instaled. Root checker says it's all OK.
So now, to flash the recovery all I have to do is (the tablet is all stock):
1 - Install Flashify from Play Store
2 - Download openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-v500.img (or the zip v500-TWRP_2.8.4.0-recovery.zip? I'm confused)
3 - Using flashify select - flash recovery image (point to the img or the zip file) and it's done

Is that correct or is something missing?
This looks too easy to be true!!!
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Rick Roll

Apr 2, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Just to clarify, because I don't want to end with a bricked tablet... it's new (2 hours!!!).
The tablet is rooted (TowelRoot) and have SuperSU instaled. Root checker says it's all OK.
So now, to flash the recovery all I have to do is (the tablet is all stock):
1 - Install Flashify from Play Store
2 - Download openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-v500.img (or the zip v500-TWRP_2.8.4.0-recovery.zip? I'm confused)
3 - Using flashify select - flash recovery image (point to the img or the zip file) and it's done

Is that correct or is something missing?
This looks too easy to be true!!!
Thanks in advance

You need to downgrade to 4.2.x, root and flash openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-v500.img with flashify.

Reactions: luisbraz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.6.0:

-Fix daylight savings time rules for USA and Europe (_that)
    -Allow mulitple overlays for popup boxes (Dees_Troy)
    -Add pattern style password entry for decrypt (Tassadar)
    -Keyboard improvements (_that)
    -Update AOSP base to 5.1 (Dees_Troy)
    -Reduce theme count to 5 and rely on scaling (Dees_Troy)
    -Various scaling improvements (Dees_Troy)
    -Improved handling of resources in the GUI (_that)
    -Make scroll bar size proportional to list size (_that)
    -Allow scoll lists to render without a header (_that)
    -Make console scroll per pixel with kinetic scrolling (_that)
    -Support styles in XML to reduce XML size and improve consistentcy (Dees_Troy)
    -Various other fixes and improvements (mdmower, bigbiff, codelover, etc)

CHANGELOG for 2.8.5.0:

-Scale the GUI - TWRP can read the theme's resolution and scale it up or down to fit the theme to your screen's resolution
    -Improve thread handling and move input handling into the main rendering thread to improve stability
    -Make MTP work even if unplugged and plugged back in
    -Unify scrollable list code and make kinetic scrolling feel more natural
    -Fix handling of mapped zip files for OTA updates (CM12 updater)
    -USB keyboards should now work on all devices that support USB host mode via a USB OTG cable
    -Other small fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 2.8.4.0:

-Add flashing of boot and recovery images via the TWRP GUI (Find the Images button on the Install page)
    -Fix some MTP related crashes and bugs
    -Eliminate TWRP toggling USB IDs during boot if MTP is enabled
    -Fix various adb sideload issues
    -Improve threading of actions
    -Eliminate separate thread for screen timeout
    -Update libblkid to 2.25.0
    -Use power button as back button on watch themes for easier navigation
    -Add mutex locking to data manager
    -Improve custom theme handling on encrypted devices
    -Allow the stock theme to be offset by build flags so we can center a lower res theme on a higher res screen especially for watches with round screens

CHANGELOG for 2.8.3.0:

-MTP will now tell the host PC that storage is removed instead of disabling MTP completely
    -MTP will now report the correct max file size based on the file system in use to the host PC (may fix transfer of large files)
    -Update and improve fix permissions and make fixing contexts optional
    -Update SuperSU in TWRP to 2.40 and update install process
    -Make TWRP work properly on AArch64 (Nexus 9 is now built in true 64-bit binaries and libraries)
    -Attempt to set correct permissions and contexts on all files placed in storage so backups will show in Android
    -Fix kernel panic during MTP start on some devices
    -Support unicode fonts on devices with True Type Font support
    -Fix slider value not showing sometimes (vibration settings page)
    -Toggle MTP off during adb sideload to set correct USB IDs
    -Reduce library requirements for 5.0 L decrypt
    -Other minor fixes and improvements

Note: Starting with TWRP 2.8.2.0 and higher, adb sideload uses a new sideload method originally implemented in AOSP recovery. You will need the latest adb binaries to use sideload in these newer versions of TWRP. The version required is 1.0.32. You can find the version by running "adb version" on your computer. The new sideload feature no longer stores the zip on your device. Instead, a fuse file system is created in RAM and the zip is streamed from your computer. This puts less wear and tear on storage and ensures that large zips will not fill up all of your RAM. The sideload may spit an error on your PC side, but the zip should install just fine on your device.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.2.0:
    -Pull in all changes from Android 5.0 lollipop into TWRP
    -Add decrypt support for Android 5.0 lollipop encrypted partitions including automatic decrypt when the default_password is in use
    -Revert some changes to exFAT that were breaking exFAT support on some devices
    -Other minor fixes and updates

Note: At this time we do not have a GUI representation for pattern unlock. You can still decrypt patterns though by translating the pattern dots to numbers. The pattern dots correspond to numbers in the following pattern:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

So an upper-case L would translate to a password of 14789 entered on the keyboard. Eventually we plan to add a proper pattern unlock to TWRP but it is a relatively low priority at this point.

Also note that you will need the latest adb binaries on your computer to sideload with this new version of TWRP.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.1.0:
    -MTP fixes and improvements - you can now copy zips to the root of storage - thanks to _that
    -TrueType Font support - optional as it takes up a decent amount of space so may not be available on all devices - thanks to Tassadar
    -Temperature support - thanks to bigbiff
    -Various other bugfixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.1:
    -Fix a bug that causes weird graphics glitches and touch issues

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.0:
    -Add MTP support to recovery thanks mostly to bigbiff with a little help from Dees_Troy
    -Add command line capabilities - you can now execute various TWRP features via adb instead of the touchscreen
    -Add support for color in the console and give error, warning, and highlight lines different colors
    -Track backup and restore progress based on file sizes to provide a much more accurate indication of progress
    -Improve handling of /misc thanks to mdmower
    -Improve setting of time on Qualcomm devices thanks to [NUT]
    -Allow using images on slidervalue GUI objects thanks to Tassadar
    -Allow using variables and addition and subtraction in variables for easier theming
    -Add support for 1440x2560, 280x280, and 320x320 resolutions and update 240x240
    -Allow ui.xml file to include additional xml files to help break up the theme and make TWRP easier to maintain
    -Other minor fixes and improvements

Over the course of the last year or so, bigbiff has worked to migrate various Java functions from Android's MTP implementation to bring you a fully C++ based MTP implementation that allows you to transfer files to both emulated storage and Micro SD cards. It's confirmed to work on various Nexus devices but we may have to make some changes on other devices to keep Windows happy. Windows is very picky about USB IDs and its drivers. We have tested it on Windows 7 and 8 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty. MTP is enabled by default, but we do toggle it off and on automatically during certain operations such as if you choose to wipe a storage partition. You can enable or disable MTP under the mount menu in TWRP. For more about what MTP is here.

Note: Due to a weird bug with our MTP setup, you cannot copy a zip file to the root of storage with Windows. You can change the .zip to something else like .txt and then copy it to the root and rename the file back to .zip once it's copied to the device. You can also copy the zip into any subfolder.

Command line support is also now available. You can perform various OpenRecoveryScript commands via the adb shell. Depending on what you are doing you may wish to do a "twrp set tw_mtp_enabled 0" and then reboot to prevent the MTP auto toggle from killing your adb interface. You can use this option to create and restore backups, wipe, install zips, and more. Via adb shell, type twrp followed by a space then enter the OpenRecoveryScript command and hit enter. Find more OpenRecoveryScript commands here.

CHANGELOG for 2.7.1.0:
    -Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    -Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    -Improvements to USB storage handling
    -Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    -Various other bugfixes and tweaks

DOWNLOAD:

INSTALLATION:

NEEDS ROOT AND A LOKI VULNERABLE ABOOT (Stock 4.2.X roms)
    Flash the recovery image with flashify. :p

TeamWin
    AndroidUser00110001 for the base device three.

Source: https://github.com/victormlourenco/android_device_lge_v500-twrp.git
    Kernel source : https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_lge_v500/tree/8375d2b104da16ad362be597720c9440d10871bf

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for v500, Tool/Utility for the LG G Pad 8.3

Contributors
    Rick Roll

Version Information

Created 2014-12-10
    Last Updated 2015-03-26
    2.8.5.0 released!
    2.8.3.0 released!
    2.8.4.0 released!

PSA: Flashing boot/recovery image from TWRP GUI only works with bumped images. If you flash a non-bumped image you will be softbricked because our locked bootloader can't boot unsigned images.
    I was just in #twrp on freenode and Dees_Troy seemed very interested to find out that their v500 image on their homepage is made for a "palman" and not an "awifi". I am trying to bring this to their attention so that they maintain it properly for all of us.

I'm assuming there is already a patch on gerrit to fix this and it just needs to be pulled. If anyone has additional info for them, please visit their channel on irc and let them know.

Let's get this straightened out.

Best regards.