Thanks?

Search This thread

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
Am I the only one who thinks the whole thanks system on this site is just a massive popularity contest, I routinely see massive bold signatures in every section 'If I helped, press the thanks button' - yeah, I would have done before I read that, douche.

Sorry, it annoys me because I just don't understand what it's meant to prove or why people are allowed to 'beg' for thanks. If somebody makes a useful contribution, sure, give them some credit if they helped out... But people who also reply asking for thanks if they post a response to a question just annoy me. You'll be given it if you deserve it,

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
Generally only new users have large sigs with 'press thanks if I helped' in them. Most people who've been here a while know that thanks mean nothing and don't bother with that stuff. There's not much you can really do about it I guess.

stamatis

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
stamatis∈A, A=∅
You are right the whole obssesion for the thanks meter is disturbing, but look who is begging all the time for thanks!, i don't see any serious developer even care about thanks. In the other hand this make people making helpful posts and helping people even if they do it just for thanks.

'If I helped, press the thanks button'
Everybody sees this message at least 4 times when visiting xda.The best thing to do is to ignore it:p

manoranjan2050

Dec 26, 2011
JAGATSINGHPUR
manoranjan2050.org
You are right the whole obssesion for the thanks meter is disturbing, but look who is begging all the time for thanks!, i don't see any serious developer even care about thanks. In the other hand this make people making helpful posts and helping people even if they do it just for thanks.

Everybody sees this message at least 4 times when visiting xda.The best thing to do is to ignore it:p

Yes Friend U Are Right ......

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Actually, to be a tad unintuitive, it can help you know WHO to listen to...

It shows you who cares about thanks more than anything else, and thus who to ignore and sneer at :)

Reactions: roofrider

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
If I may.
As one who is older I find the begging thanx the online version of panhandling.
I agree the thanks counter means little in most cases.
Just another meaningless badge.

I've always wondered also why some have the "donate" button active when they have contributed nothing.

dmazr

Jun 2, 2011
It takes a second to thank a developer who assisted you. No biggie. The open source community are extremely helpful. Plus they do this for free. Get over yourself and thank a developer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
It takes a second to thank a developer who assisted you. No biggie. The open source community are extremely helpful. Plus they do this for free. Get over yourself and thank a developer.

You didn't read or perhaps aren't understanding the original post.
OP is stating that "begging for thanks" in a signature is irritating.
The OP says giving thanks if deserved is certainly appropriate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Am I the only one who thinks the whole thanks system on this site is just a massive popularity contest, I routinely see massive bold signatures in every section 'If I helped, press the thanks button' - yeah, I would have done before I read that, douche.

Sorry, it annoys me because I just don't understand what it's meant to prove or why people are allowed to 'beg' for thanks. If somebody makes a useful contribution, sure, give them some credit if they helped out... But people who also reply asking for thanks if they post a response to a question just annoy me. You'll be given it if you deserve it,
    If I may.
    As one who is older I find the begging thanx the online version of panhandling.
    I agree the thanks counter means little in most cases.
    Just another meaningless badge.

I've always wondered also why some have the "donate" button active when they have contributed nothing.
    Actually, to be a tad unintuitive, it can help you know WHO to listen to...

It shows you who cares about thanks more than anything else, and thus who to ignore and sneer at :)