[Q] Nook HD+ 9 with SD-Stock - Browser reboot, No Flash and other web videos

Search This thread

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
Hi all,
I've just purchased the NOOK HD+ from a refurbished seller and all run smoothly except for browsing, which is one of my main request.

1. Using integrated Chrome browser the Nook completely crashes and reboot after a while or after visiting high-graphic web sites... one for all, Italian news channel www ansa it
  2. Tried to use different other web browser, like Dolphin, FlashFox, etc and all crashes... ONLY FireFox "seems" not having such problem, but I did not spend so much time testing it...
  3. Flash and in general Web-Videos don't work at all... I know this is a classical issue with Android, but I'd like to have video at least on FireFox, which is actually the only browser is working on my Nook HD
  4. Tried to install some new software but I always get Impossible to install from unknow sources... tried to find out a specific guide for my stock (hope to define it right, so that my Nook is using a micro-SD card to save things...?!?)... but the guides I found are older before September 2013 and I dunno if they are ok for my Nook...
  5. On some sites I read that there could be a problem on the microSD card of my device. Since the device is refurbished, MAYBE there could be any previous data remained on the SD and so I'd like to know if there is a way to get rid of it... Can I just extract the SD card and format it with my Windows PC?

I know I've written a long list, but I wanted to summarize the whole problems I have at the moment, before returning the device at the eBay seller...

If any of you could give me an advice, a web link or anything else... I'll really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance and see you,

Andrea Colussi
Italy

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Chrome is notoriously bad on Android, particularly jellybean. Use Firefox. Also flash does not work on jellybean.

To get unknown sources working, go to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and make a bootable CWM SD per item 1a. Use that to flash my unknown sources zip. I also have a zip there so that stock saves things to microSD. All that is still valid.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
Chrome is notoriously bad on Android, particularly jellybean. Use Firefox. Also flash does not work on jellybean.

To get unknown sources working, go to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and make a bootable CWM SD per item 1a. Use that to flash my unknown sources zip. I also have a zip there so that stock saves things to microSD. All that is still valid.

Dear Leapinlar,
many thanks for your quick reply.
IMPORTANT: I'd like to install CM on my Nook HD+ 9 with preinstalled micro-SD, but before I'd like to understand if the browser reboot issue, which happen with quite all browsers except FireFox, if it could be an hardware problem or not. If you have any suggestion on this, it would be really appreciated. I was wondering if I could format the microSD card of the Nook, just to check if this could be the reason.

Next, I'll try to follow your tread on the CM install... I think that then I could install flash plug.in without any problem... do you know of any incompatibility with the NOOK, I mean bluetooth or similar not working on CM?

Thanks again in advance.

Andrea

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Dear Leapinlar,
many thanks for your quick reply.
IMPORTANT: I'd like to install CM on my Nook HD+ 9 with preinstalled micro-SD, but before I'd like to understand if the browser reboot issue, which happen with quite all browsers except FireFox, if it could be an hardware problem or not. If you have any suggestion on this, it would be really appreciated. I was wondering if I could format the microSD card of the Nook, just to check if this could be the reason.

Next, I'll try to follow your tread on the CM install... I think that then I could install flash plug.in without any problem... do you know of any incompatibility with the NOOK, I mean bluetooth or similar not working on CM?

Thanks again in advance.

Andrea
I'm afraid you lost me. What do you mean preinstalled micro-sd? Do you mean you bought an SD with an operating system already installed on it?

And the reboot issue is likely not a hardware issue with internal memory. But a bad SD could cause issues depending on how you are using it. If you meant you were running CM or stock from the SD, then yes it could be the issue.

And depending on which version of CM you choose, yes there can be issues of features not working.

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
Again thanks for the reply.
I mean that I have a microSD already installed on my NOOK HD+ 9 16GB (which I purchases from eBay: ebay...it/itm/111202317715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648) and it uses it for storing apps or other stuff. That's why I was wondering if the microSD could be the problem for the rebooting issue... The reboot it's very strange, it happens on quite all browser when I surf high graphic websites... so I thought it could be an hardware issue.

Regarding the CM, if I'll give a try to it, I'd like to go with the much stable release... I followed "[NOOK HD/HD+] Installing CyanogenMod 10.1/10.2 for Dummies" and so I think 10.1-10.2 are the best version of CM to try using... What's better Sideload or directly installing CM, nowadays? My first needs are the following:

- Try to fix the reboot issue on great part of the browsers I'm using
- Let me install flash plugin and use it to browse website with video content... I found that there is a NOOK plug-in but many guys tell that it's possible to install it only from the States and I've also found that is required credit card for downloading it... Another possibility is to install an old flash plugin version, which I found, but my Nook told me "cannot install from Unknow Sources".

Have a nice day and again, thanks for your kindness

Andrea

ejstubbs

Jul 6, 2011
Edinburgh
I'm afraid you lost me. What do you mean preinstalled micro-sd? Do you mean you bought an SD with an operating system already installed on it?

The Italian eBay listing he linked is for a 16GB HD+, there's no mention of a micro-SD card being included. I think what he means by "preinstalled micro-sd" is the 16GB internal memory - it looks like a straightforward misunderstanding, probably compounded by not writing in his native language (in fact the eBay listing is in English as well - it's a UK seller).

Reactions: leapinlar

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Again thanks for the reply.
I mean that I have a microSD already installed on my NOOK HD+ 9 16GB (which I purchases from eBay: ebay...it/itm/111202317715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648) and it uses it for storing apps or other stuff. That's why I was wondering if the microSD could be the problem for the rebooting issue... The reboot it's very strange, it happens on quite all browser when I surf high graphic websites... so I thought it could be an hardware issue.

Regarding the CM, if I'll give a try to it, I'd like to go with the much stable release... I followed "[NOOK HD/HD+] Installing CyanogenMod 10.1/10.2 for Dummies" and so I think 10.1-10.2 are the best version of CM to try using... What's better Sideload or directly installing CM, nowadays? My first needs are the following:

- Try to fix the reboot issue on great part of the browsers I'm using
- Let me install flash plugin and use it to browse website with video content... I found that there is a NOOK plug-in but many guys tell that it's possible to install it only from the States and I've also found that is required credit card for downloading it... Another possibility is to install an old flash plugin version, which I found, but my Nook told me "cannot install from Unknow Sources".

Have a nice day and again, thanks for your kindness

Andrea
if the others are right and you were referring to the built in memory in your device, then that is not likely the cause of your problem. Do not format it.

I recommend you put CM10.1.3 stable on internal memory as guided in the dummies guide you referenced. But I still think you will have problems with flash player. But other video players will work.

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
Thank you ALL for the replies.
Yeah, it wasn't a language misunderstanding, but I really though to have an already installed SD-Card on my 16GB Nook HD+, that's why I doung a folder called SD-CARD on the folder tree of the device... and so I misinterpreted it... sorry!

What is my first concern is the fact that the device continues rebooting using either built-in Chrome, Dolphin, FlashFox or other installed browser except for the original FireFox, which does not include, unfortunatelly a flash plug-in.

Anyway this are in brief what I'd like to do:

- First understand the reboot issue and fix it, maybe returning the device to the UK supplier and having another one back
- Once fixed the hardware physical reboot I'd like to have flash running, without having to pay for a specific browser who just run the flash on its website and give me back a different video (some websites with games/fiction streaming cannot work this way). So I've already 2 solutions for this, but I'd like to hear also your point of view:

a. There is a Nook plug-in for browser, which can be purchased (free) and which should give support for flash plug-in... unfortunately I didn't tried it since it seems to work only for US customers network
b. Is it possible to install (on Android) a previous version flash plug-in, still available on Adobe archives... unfortunately my Nook said me I cannot install software apk files from unknown sources... that's why I thought about either enable ADB scripting on the device or installing the CM software, as suggested here on this forum

That's the whole thing and if you have any further suggestion, I'll really appreciate.

Andrea (Andrew)

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thank you ALL for the replies.
Yeah, it wasn't a language misunderstanding, but I really though to have an already installed SD-Card on my 16GB Nook HD+, that's why I doung a folder called SD-CARD on the folder tree of the device... and so I misinterpreted it... sorry!

What is my first concern is the fact that the device continues rebooting using either built-in Chrome, Dolphin, FlashFox or other installed browser except for the original FireFox, which does not include, unfortunatelly a flash plug-in.

Anyway this are in brief what I'd like to do:

- First understand the reboot issue and fix it, maybe returning the device to the UK supplier and having another one back
- Once fixed the hardware physical reboot I'd like to have flash running, without having to pay for a specific browser who just run the flash on its website and give me back a different video (some websites with games/fiction streaming cannot work this way). So I've already 2 solutions for this, but I'd like to hear also your point of view:

a. There is a Nook plug-in for browser, which can be purchased (free) and which should give support for flash plug-in... unfortunately I didn't tried it since it seems to work only for US customers network
b. Is it possible to install (on Android) a previous version flash plug-in, still available on Adobe archives... unfortunately my Nook said me I cannot install software apk files from unknown sources... that's why I thought about either enable ADB scripting on the device or installing the CM software, as suggested here on this forum

That's the whole thing and if you have any further suggestion, I'll really appreciate.

Andrea (Andrew)
I doubt that you will get flash working on jellybean android. Adobe dropped support and I'm not sure you can ever get it working.

And as far as enabling unknown sources on stock, you can do that by going to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and making a bootable CWM SD per item 1a there and using that to flash my zip to enable unknown sources.

And as I said earlier, I doubt it is a hardware issue on your browsers crashing. There obviously are software glitches with the sites you are visiting.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
www ansa it crashing my Nook + flash missing

I doubt that you will get flash working on jellybean android. Adobe dropped support and I'm not sure you can ever get it working.

And as far as enabling unknown sources on stock, you can do that by going to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and making a bootable CWM SD per item 1a there and using that to flash my zip to enable unknown sources.

And as I said earlier, I doubt it is a hardware issue on your browsers crashing. There obviously are software glitches with the sites you are visiting.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

Leaplinlar, again thanks, then if you or someone else can give me some further help... I'll pay you a beer!!! :)

1. so you think that the hardware reboot isn't an hardware problem...don't you?
2. one of the websites which crashes my browser is www ansa it, which is the most famous news website in Italy... really could it have glitches? Can someone with a Nook HD+ test browsing for 1-2 minutes arount www ansa it and let me know if they have any fault on the Nook? Also many many other sites crashes and make the Nook rebooting...so either a hardware problem or another missing driver?
3. you are also tell me that I cannot see streaming websites or other sites that use flash? so not flash at all on the Nook device???

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
Leaplinlar, again thanks, then if you or someone else can give me some further help... I'll pay you a beer!!! :)

2. one of the websites which crashes my browser is www ansa it, which is the most famous news website in Italy... really could it have glitches? Can someone with a Nook HD+ test browsing for 1-2 minutes arount www ansa it and let me know if they have any fault on the Nook? Also many many other sites crashes and make the Nook rebooting...so either a hardware problem or another missing driver?
3. you are also tell me that I cannot see streaming websites or other sites that use flash? so not flash at all on the Nook device???

4.2.2 stock browser spent a few minutes browsing www ansa it no issues. I f you have a specific page I would be happy to try it. I don't speak Italian so it is not a site I have gone to before.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

I also went to that site with a stock HD running chrome that came with it. No problems. But that does not necessarily mean yours is a hardware issue. It could be some other software that you have installed causing the issue. I would suggest you erase and deregister to clean out installed apps and register again and see if you still have the problem.

acolussi

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the reply and further questions and details...

I also went to that site with a stock HD running chrome that came with it. No problems. But that does not necessarily mean yours is a hardware issue. It could be some other software that you have installed causing the issue. I would suggest you erase and deregister to clean out installed apps and register again and see if you still have the problem.

jpisini and leapinlar, you've been REALLY REALLY KIND to test it...

- The crash and immediate reboot happens always on www ansa it, but also with the 80% of other websites I'm visiting, for example also www nba com makes my Nook HD+ rebooting
- Can you tell me what definitively means Nook "stock"...? I thought stock meant = using SD-card, while emmc means using internal memory, but is clear I was wrong!
- I've already ERASED completely the device and de-registered, but with the same reboot issue... ONLY Firefox is not crashing...I think that it's just a hardware issue and I've already contacted the eBay reseller, who asked me to pay to send the device back in UK... 25€?!? to pay for a device not working??? Silly this thing... and then maybe I have to pay again for having it back in Italy, so 50€ more for the device... this is the first time I bought a refurbished device, and I think it'll remain the only one! Now I'm thinking what to do, since the Nook HD+ is really a nice device...
- Regarding the flash installation and the unknow sources enable... I studied this 2 things on the web and found different way to do it, but before going on with this thing...I really would like to have solved the reboot problem, that's why I'm thinking to return the device and have another one back... Just to share here what I found for the adobe flash (I wrote the addresses incomplete, since I cannot still publish web links on XDA forum...):

INSTALLING APPS FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES (Very good guidebook):
www typographicalera com/installing-apps-from-unknown-sources-on-the-nook-hd/

SIDELOADING on NOOK:
https: nookdeveloper zendesk com/entries/21943338-NOOK-Developer-Start-Up-Guide#_Sideloading

FLASH PLUG-IN FROM B&N USA:
www barnesandnoble com/w/browser-plugin-barnes-and-noble/1113914386?ean=2940043651563

FLASH PLUG-IN FROM B&N (main forum thread):
http bookclubs barnesandnoble com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/Flash-for-HD-using-free-B-amp-N-plug-in-New-2013-info/td-p/1473653

FLASH PLAYER FOR ANDROID 4 STILL AVAILABLE FROM ADOBE ARCHIVES (INSTALLABLE ONCE UNLOCKED UNKNOWN SOURCES):
http helpx adobe com/flash-player.html

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
jpisini and leapinlar, you've been REALLY REALLY KIND to test it...

- The crash and immediate reboot happens always on www ansa it, but also with the 80% of other websites I'm visiting, for example also www nba com makes my Nook HD+ rebooting
- Can you tell me what definitively means Nook "stock"...? I thought stock meant = using SD-card, while emmc means using internal memory, but is clear I was wrong!
- I've already ERASED completely the device and de-registered, but with the same reboot issue... ONLY Firefox is not crashing...I think that it's just a hardware issue and I've already contacted the eBay reseller, who asked me to pay to send the device back in UK... 25€?!? to pay for a device not working??? Silly this thing... and then maybe I have to pay again for having it back in Italy, so 50€ more for the device... this is the first time I bought a refurbished device, and I think it'll remain the only one! Now I'm thinking what to do, since the Nook HD+ is really a nice device...
- Regarding the flash installation and the unknow sources enable... I studied this 2 things on the web and found different way to do it, but before going on with this thing...I really would like to have solved the reboot problem, that's why I'm thinking to return the device and have another one back... Just to share here what I found for the adobe flash (I wrote the addresses incomplete, since I cannot still publish web links on XDA forum...):

INSTALLING APPS FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES (Very good guidebook):
www typographicalera com/installing-apps-from-unknown-sources-on-the-nook-hd/

SIDELOADING on NOOK:
https: nookdeveloper zendesk com/entries/21943338-NOOK-Developer-Start-Up-Guide#_Sideloading

FLASH PLUG-IN FROM B&N USA:
www barnesandnoble com/w/browser-plugin-barnes-and-noble/1113914386?ean=2940043651563

FLASH PLUG-IN FROM B&N (main forum thread):
http bookclubs barnesandnoble com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/Flash-for-HD-using-free-B-amp-N-plug-in-New-2013-info/td-p/1473653

FLASH PLAYER FOR ANDROID 4 STILL AVAILABLE FROM ADOBE ARCHIVES (INSTALLABLE ONCE UNLOCKED UNKNOWN SOURCES):
http helpx adobe com/flash-player.html
Stock means the operating system that is installed on the device as shipped from Barnes and Noble.

And that tutorial on how to set up unknown sources is referring to my thread I referenced earlier. It is the same exact way just explained in more detail. The tutorial is good and very detailed but is a little out of date. The "extras rev3" zip is no longer available but you can use the unknown sources zip from my thread and it does the same thing.

But I still think it is a software issue with your device instead of hardware. Set up the bootable SD as explained in detail in that unknown sources tutorial and use it to flash a plain stock zip from item 6 in my thread and follow that with a factory reset with CWM and your device will be completely wiped and re-setup with fresh stock like it came from the factory. It does more than an erase and deregister. Hopefully that will take care of your rebooting issue. If it does not fix it then you best exchange it.

The rest of your links look ok, but I know nothing about those and you are on your own.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Italian eBay listing he linked is for a 16GB HD+, there's no mention of a micro-SD card being included. I think what he means by "preinstalled micro-sd" is the 16GB internal memory - it looks like a straightforward misunderstanding, probably compounded by not writing in his native language (in fact the eBay listing is in English as well - it's a UK seller).
    Yeah the 16 gb is just the on board hard drive.