[Q] Is there any way to keep media net unlimited (not smartphone plan)?

Search This thread

blognc

Aug 6, 2006
New York
If you are checking it online, it doesn't show as a regular feature. There is a link that shows "other features" ... or just call them up and ask if you have it.

Thanks! I knew I had the feature, but had no idea there was a way to check it. Check out my screenshot for proof!

I'm glad to learn that all 3/3 lines have the exclusion, and not just the one with $15 data or the two with smartphones.

The smartphone exclusion feature only covers you for your current device. If you put your SIM into a phone that Att recognizes as a valid smartphone that is different than the one you currently have on file, your grandfather status is gone and you get a smartphone data plan.

Wrong, definitely! Not only did the AT&T rep I spoke to confirm it, but experience, including loading up no-data smartphone excluded SIMs into the HTC Aria and Touch Pro 2 prove it. If you have no data or cheap data and no smartphone exclude, then yes, what you describe will happen, but if you have smartphone exclude, you will be just fine. The AT&T rep said that if I bought a phone at att.com my smartphone exclusion would not be affected, and when I bought the Aria from Amazonwireless.com, it was not affected.

shadowscreation

Jan 30, 2010
blanchard, ok
AT&T recognizes the IMEI on all of their iphones. When I put my sim into my friends iphone, it asked me to update my data plan. Obviously, I did not...

It works on the Atrix, though I don't doubt if AT&T knew which phone I had, they would probably want me to upgrade. I asked a rep many years ago, they said I have some sort of legacy feature grandfathered in, but if I make any type of changes to my plan, I would lose it. I cannot remember what they call it. Thus I cannot purchase a phone with an AT&T contract. Pretty lame, but that has been my experience and what I have been told. Not all reps know what they are talking about.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I know which plan I have, and I know I have an Atrix. All I did was take my sim from my old phone out and put it into my new Atrix and it works without complaining for me to upgrade my data plan.

However, I am not impress with the HSUPA speeds, and it seems everyone has the same issue whether they are on a $30 unlimited plan, or $20 medianet bundle.

I hope this helps, good luck guys!

well heres the problem hsupa is not enabled on this phone plus the upload speeds have been capped on this phone to only 300kbs so ya sucky mc sucks stupid att crap

fincan

Dec 9, 2007
around VA
Got an SMS and an email from AT&T saying that for 4G phones I need a compatible data plan and one is added automatically to my account. Called AT&T told them I'm going to return the phone and don't touch my previous plan.
Guess I'll wait for a Canadian version.

birdheh

Oct 30, 2007
San Diego
I have the family plan with an old media unlimited on one phone and nothing on the other. I upgraded to an Atrix and was allowed to keep the old media on the Atrix and didn't change the other phone. Not really 4G in San Diego.

exorz

Nov 26, 2008
so now that the bell atrix has been out for a few days anyone get a chance to test it out?

exorz

Nov 26, 2008
i guess most people are in the same boat. hard to find a bell atrix. probably even harder since it's more expensive than the att one.

GoodFoot

Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone here successfully used an old AT&T "Smartphone Connect Unlimited" data plan ($19.99/mo) with their Atrix?
I have such a plan grandfathered from back in 2007, which I am obviously reluctant to give up.

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
If that's the one with 200 text messages included than yes. I'm using 3g sim card at the moment. Not sure when they open up hsupa if i'll enjoy the benefits, but is working for me. This plan is the reason why I did not renew contract because I did not want to lose unlimited internet.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

link12245

May 3, 2009
Clearwater, FL
If any of you have any questions about at&t, feel free to pm me.

The 'SmartPhone' exclusion is simply a way our system recognizes your non-smartphone. If you use your sim card in an atrix with any non-smartphone plan, it will more than likely work for about 30 days. We have a system crawler in place to check for imei mismatches, and once it gets to your market, it will find your phone, and place you on the $25 2gb plan. Either way, you'll be very lucky if all the functions of your phone work with the media net package (usually MMS, and some web function won't work like 3g or 4g). Simply put, yes, you can use your media net by tricking at&t, but yes, the system will find it and fix it over time.

texasice

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2009
Austin
I didn't read any of the other posts so this might have been said.

No.
Att will recognize the atrix and (ever so thoughtfully) upgrade you to an 'appropriate' 4g data plan.

Lucky for me they sent me a text and email explaining this would happen, and before they actually upgraded me I pulled the sim and switched back to my nexus one. Att doesn't recognize the nexus one so i get to keep my unlimited data for 10 bucks a month.

exorz

Nov 26, 2008
there could be some hope with the canada version of the atrix but it's quite slim. the phone is also more expensive to purchase directly from bell, the canadian provider selling the atrix.

hotleadsingerguy

Jan 12, 2010
You wil get switched to a smartphone data plan if you use a smartphone they recognise the imei number of.

This. It doesn't happen immediately, but it will most likely happen sooner or later. I'd say within 2 months or so they'll switch you over.

They did it to me when I was on a Nexus One. It was when the first one came out (T-Mobile) and they still switched me. Then I got the AT&T one and they switched me again.

big_redfox

Aug 20, 2007
Just got served!

I have been using the $15 media plan for past 4 years on WM6 devices and never had any problem. Just recently switched to Atrix. They switched me to the $25 plan when I signed the 2-year contract. I called in this morning tell them I am switching to a non-smart phone and they changed the data plan to the $15 medianet plan.

With 3 hrs, I got a txt msg as well as an email stating they know I am using a smartphone with the wrong plan and they have added the "right plan" to my account.

sl8125

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah if they know your imei no. of your phone they will change your plan regardless. They are aware what type of phone you have now. Only way to get around is buy a smartphone ATT can not identify.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

O

Optimus-Prime

i used the backflip for about 8 months with the non smartphone. i got the backflip off craigslist for 150 then i just popped in my sim card didnt get the notification about them changing my plan like 3 months into it. i called them gave them my dummy phone IMEI theytchanged my back i told them that i had to make a emergency call and my phoen was dead so i borrowed a co-workers phone. they put m back into the media net plan. now i have my atrix with unlimited data. feels good to be legal now, :p