[How-To] Remove HTClinkifydispatcher.apk to open YouTube links to the YouTube app etc

Search This thread

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
This should work for all HTC phones with HTClinkifyDispatcher.apk (so basically all HTC phones on 4.0 or 4.1 and a few on 2.3 with most sense-based ROMs) if opening a YouTube link in the browser doesn't give you the option to open it in the native YouTube app, you have HTCLinkifyDispatcher on your phone. This also applies to Play Store links, Maps addresses, and possibly Contact data and phone numbers.

You're going to have to be rooted to do this.
Some custom ROM's already have this removed.

1. First use root explorer or another root browser app to find and delete HTClinkifydispatcher.apk. This can be found in /system/app

2. Download and install a build.prop editor (such as THIS app) from the Play Store. Alternatively, you can just use a root-enabled file browser to edit it in /system

3. Find the line that says "ro.da1.enable". Click on it and change from "true" to "false". In some recent updates, there may be more than one instance of this line. Change every instance of this code to make sure it works fully.

4. Reboot to recovery and clear your cache and wipe dalvik

5. Reboot system and enjoy!

Note: Contrary to popular belief, you do need to delete the .apk from /system/app, or else you may incur problems

This guide is based on the findings of iconeo and steal25, so credits to them
Original thread can be found here (the line it says to add to the build.prop underneath the one we edit shouldn't be necessary for our device)

If you encounter any problems, let me know. If it works for you, please hit thanks for me. :)

Sweet! This got on the front page of XDA!! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

RoryHe

Jan 26, 2012
North ID
THIS IS WHY I LOVE XDA.
Now we just have to ask devs to incorporate this into ROM's, shouldn't be hard.

LONG LOATHE APPLE.

teckels

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
Youtube worked great, back to the good old days. I also tested cell number and email from text message which worked and also phone number from an email in exchange. (all issues people had). Thanks for putting this in one place.

derek4484

Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
I was running Scott's Clean ROM 4.4 and after I wiped the cache and Dalvik cache and rebooted it told me "Android is upgrading...." and then it went through and said "Optimizing XXX of 247 apps"

Is this normal?

Edit: This definitely fixed the issue I was having with facebook app. Everytime I clicked on a weblink in a post on my timeline, I'd get an error from facebook that said connection error and retry and it never worked. Now it works great!

Last edited:
Reactions: sMhsn

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Awesome work!

I saw in another post to add a line in build.prop after changing true to false like your instructions. Any idea why and what the difference is?

ro.da1.method=false

I'm not sure what the difference is, but the person who posted that said it might notbe required, so I didn't do it and everything worked perfectly fine, so I didn't include it. Maybe on some othe devices it would be necessary but ours is fine without it

Reactions: antp121

Argent36

Jun 9, 2010
Canton - Michigan
unless I'm missing something...it should be here?

7163455615_2f03593245_z.jpg

couchmonkey

Mar 30, 2011
haha, i just did this this morning without reading this thread. but I just moved htclinkify to another location using Root Browser and did a reboot while clearing all the browser defaults.

no need to edit anything.

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
unless I'm missing something...it should be here?
Well both of you that can't find it are running Venusaur, so maybe they pre-deleted it from the rom. Try opening a YouTube link and see if it opens in the browser or the native YouTube app
haha, i just did this this morning without reading this thread. but I just moved htclinkify to another location using Root Browser and did a reboot while clearing all the browser defaults.

no need to edit anything.
If you just delete the apk, you will be able to open YouTube or Play Store links etc in their native apps, but you won't be able to open links from SMS messages. If you edit the build.prop it will fix that and there's something else that's a minor issue that editing the build.prop fixes but I can't recall what it is.

Reactions: antp121

Argent36

Jun 9, 2010
Canton - Michigan
links in Facebook work without crapping out - but youtube links still ask what I want to open it in and the youtube app isn't an option.

oh well no big deal :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This should work for all HTC phones with HTClinkifyDispatcher.apk (so basically all HTC phones on 4.0 or 4.1 and a few on 2.3 with most sense-based ROMs) if opening a YouTube link in the browser doesn't give you the option to open it in the native YouTube app, you have HTCLinkifyDispatcher on your phone. This also applies to Play Store links, Maps addresses, and possibly Contact data and phone numbers.

You're going to have to be rooted to do this.
    Some custom ROM's already have this removed.

1. First use root explorer or another root browser app to find and delete HTClinkifydispatcher.apk. This can be found in /system/app

2. Download and install a build.prop editor (such as THIS app) from the Play Store. Alternatively, you can just use a root-enabled file browser to edit it in /system

3. Find the line that says "ro.da1.enable". Click on it and change from "true" to "false". In some recent updates, there may be more than one instance of this line. Change every instance of this code to make sure it works fully.

4. Reboot to recovery and clear your cache and wipe dalvik

5. Reboot system and enjoy!

Note: Contrary to popular belief, you do need to delete the .apk from /system/app, or else you may incur problems

This guide is based on the findings of iconeo and steal25, so credits to them
    Original thread can be found here (the line it says to add to the build.prop underneath the one we edit shouldn't be necessary for our device)

If you encounter any problems, let me know. If it works for you, please hit thanks for me. :)

Sweet! This got on the front page of XDA!! Thanks guys!
    This one deserves a sticky ;)

YZ.
    Ok, this sounds really awesome because I hate the app associations, but isn't the Htclinkifydispatcher also responsible for linking contacts together? I don't want to lose that function.

You can still link contacts :)
    In the yelp review if I click on the address or the number It gives me the option to open it directly in the app after doing the patch. If what ur asking is whether this works on the rezound or not the answer is yes... Or else I wouldn't have posted it....
    I was running Scott's Clean ROM 4.4 and after I wiped the cache and Dalvik cache and rebooted it told me "Android is upgrading...." and then it went through and said "Optimizing XXX of 247 apps"

Is this normal?

Yes..whenever you wipe dalvik cache it will do that on first boot up.

Sent from my Rezound