[Q] Is there a jelly bean root for the Droid 4?

Search This thread

Michael_DW

Jan 18, 2014
hey guys, just wondering if there is a root method for the Motorola Droid 4 either OTA or other ways. sorry for noob question but ive tried to search for the answers else where.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
hey guys, just wondering if there is a root method for the Motorola Droid 4 either OTA or other ways. sorry for noob question but ive tried to search for the answers else where.

Yep, the Droid Utility is a great tool for this phone.
If you're new to this, maybe a little explanation may be helpful..
the Droid Utility is a collection of scripts or tools you can run one after the other. For your purpose, rooting the Droid4, you only would use option 3 - and if you want to run a custom rom on this tool, also option 4. (Google "How to Safestrap" for more info on that)
1) and 2) are if you want to flash your phone back to stock.
So download the utility, extract it.
Make sure you have the drivers installed (if you can connect to your phone as a mass storage device you should be ok)
Click on the run.bat file, choose option 3 and follow the onscreen instructions.

squabeggz

Oct 26, 2012
SL,UT
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. I was rooted, took the latest OTA, restored root with voodoo. Now I just want to unroot and wipe it. Current
System 98.72.189.xt894 , Android 4.1.2, no custom Rom.

So I guess if I use option #1(I think) on droid utility, that should do what I need? Or is there something else I need to do as well since I took the recent ota?

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. I was rooted, took the latest OTA, restored root with voodoo. Now I just want to unroot and wipe it. Current
System 98.72.189.xt894 , Android 4.1.2, no custom Rom.

So I guess if I use option #1(I think) on droid utility, that should do what I need? Or is there something else I need to do as well since I took the recent ota?

No- just choose option #1. The last OTA doesn't make a difference one way or the other...

Wannab007

Aug 3, 2008
well, my problem is that the latest update (97.82.189) would fail, so i unrooted with supersu, flashed stock with droid4 utility then installed the update without fail, now i cannot re-root the phone, ive follow all instructions of clearing smartactions cache and data before attempting, phone is in debug and ive tried on both mtp and camera usb modes several times with no luck, script seems to run through as it should but root never takes, im thinking i should have never used supersu to unroot and should have just flashed stock and tried the update, would really suck if i cannot get root back